Votes: 20 14.7%
  • Prince

Votes: 116 85.3%

• Total voters

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Rick James Or Prince?

Who Was Better (Or Your Favorite) Recording Artist In The 80's?

Prince.jpg

Prince Rogers Nelson (born June 7, 1958), known by his mononym Prince, is an American singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and actor. He has produced ten platinum albums and thirty Top 40 singles during his career.[1] He also has several hundred unreleased songs in his "vault".[2] He writes and produces his own music and plays most of the instruments; he has established his own recording studio and label.

rickjames1252013.jpg

Rick James (born James Ambrose Johnson, Jr.; February 19, 1948 – August 6, 2004) was an American singer, songwriter, musician and record producer, best known for being the major popularizer of funk music in the late 1970s and early 1980s thanks to million-selling hits such as "You and I" (1978), "Give It to Me Baby" (1981) and "Super Freak" (1981), the latter song crossing him over to pop audiences and selling over three million copies.

Last edited:

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
Are you kidding? Prince and Rick James aren't on the same planet.

On the other hand, The Mary Jane Girls could actually sing and perform a bit. Vanity 6 was a fake group (a vehicle for Prince's fantasies) with no particular talent, 'cept for wearing lingerie.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yea I can't really say since I was just born in the mid 80's but I can say though the cat that still has an impact on music right now is Prince. And when I say that I don't mean by the music he's making now even though it still sells. I'm referring to these young cats out here now (Justin Timberlake, Dream just to name a few) who clearly were influenced by Prince in the Purple Rain era. You can hear his DNA in their music. You can't say that about Rick James though i'm a fan of his as well.

vader

Star
Registered
04_prince_lgl.jpg
Ricl James had about three good albums, Prince was by far the bigger star. Only Micheal Jackson was bigger than him in the 80's......:yes:

marcvoi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
READ Rick James bio.His book too funny. He talks about Prince bitting his style the way he uses that hand that v sign or some shit like that.. and Prince is influence heavily from James Brown . Prince and Rick are both talented. I would have to say that it depends. I think Prince music can appeal to many different people and Rick is funk to the core
I like the music that Rick James worked on with , produce like Teena Marie , Mary Jane Girls.

I can't hate on both. I respect both to the fullest.

jblaque

Star
Registered
HOW MANY KATZ AT THE AGE OF 19!
THAT!
CAN EVEN COME CLOSE!
[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/v/und7lvg73Qg&hl=en[/FLASH]​

kdawg2

Potential Star
Registered
nobody can compare to prince. he is a mix of james brown showmanship, carlos santana and jimi hendrix guitar, stevie wonder song writing, quincy jones production, cab calloway flair, i mean, and his own musicial prowness. the ninja is all that wrapped up in one.:smh::smh::smh: and the funny part is, it took TWO DECADES for the AVERAGE joe on the street to catch on to what prince is all about: REAL music.

JD Walker

Star
Registered
Prince was heaviliy influenced by Sly & The Familiy Stone. But you can't take anything away from Slick Rick. A toss up here.

Blaq

Boss Soul
OG Investor
READ Rick James bio.His book too funny. He talks about Prince bitting his style the way he uses that hand that v sign or some shit like that.. and Prince is influence heavily from James Brown . Prince and Rick are both talented. I would have to say that it depends. I think Prince music can appeal to many different people and Rick is funk to the core
I like the music that Rick James worked on with , produce like Teena Marie , Mary Jane Girls.

I can't hate on both. I respect both to the fullest.

nobody can compare to prince. he is a mix of james brown showmanship, carlos santana and jimi hendrix guitar, stevie wonder song writing, quincy jones production, cab calloway flair, i mean, and his own musicial prowness. the ninja is all that wrapped up in one.:smh::smh::smh: and the funny part is, it took TWO DECADES for the AVERAGE joe on the street to catch on to what prince is all about: REAL music.

Prince was heaviliy influenced by Sly & The Familiy Stone. But you can't take anything away from Slick Rick. A toss up here.

All of these.

Rick is my favorite ol' skool solo artist followed by Prince.

MisterT

Rising Star
Registered

On the other hand, The Mary Jane Girls could actually sing and perform a bit. Vanity 6 was a fake group (a vehicle for Prince's fantasies) with no particular talent, 'cept for wearing lingerie.

WRONG BLUNT!!!! Vanity was the shit, she could sing (a bit) and she wrote a few songs like Romantic Voyage which was a nice jam.
[FLASH]http://www.youtube.com/v/Omgribj58U8&hl[/FLASH]

easlib1

Potential Star
Registered
i was a big rick james fan before "glow" mister james johnson was a great musician and producer. Purple Rain is in my dvd right now. i have purchased every possible record and or cd by mister nelson i have come across at on time or another. only rainbow children fell short of expectation. i have been 2 4 shows and will go again given a chance. other than mj nobody is touchin this guy. #1 song n my ipod...little red corvette extened version thanks to Greygoose and this board for puttin me down with the ultimate cd. :dance:

Big Philly

Rising Star
Registered

I agree that Prince' total body of work was better than RJs but for about 6 years from 1980 to 1986 Rick James was second to Michael Jackson as R&B artists went. Starting with "Bustin Out"
and ending with "Love Gun" Rick James was the shit!

An RnB Thug

El Capitan of The LOVE BOAT
Platinum Member
Can't compare the two....
Different Kind of music for one.
Rick James Sang a Funk Fusion heavy on the horns.
Prince was all over the place however still very good.
Prince got way more accolades than Rick because Rick was
underground for a longer period of time than Prince.
Purple Rain commercialized Prince from there he was gone...
Dave Chappelle Commercialized Rick.....

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
BGOL Investor
Rick James is my fam, that's my uncle, "Mary Jane" "Ghetto Life" and "Fire and Desire" are some of my favorite songs of all time. I even liked his last album Deeper Still but...

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/VtYVaTiR0lI&hl=en_US&fs=1&[/flash]

:itsawrap: Come on, son....the nigga made "Scandalous"............Scandalous! It's Prince, man.

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
WRONG BLUNT!!!! Vanity was the shit, she could sing (a bit) and she wrote a few songs like Romantic Voyage which was a nice jam.

No, Vanity was a model/actress and the group was basically "fake," with interchangable parts (as another non-singing model/actress, Patty Kotero, easily replaced Vanity). Prince's chance to present himself in female form. That's about it.

dlow

Rising Star
Registered
Not even close, Prince. Not only did he have Vanity 6, he had the Time, he wrote for the Sheena Easton, Chaka Khan, Patti Labelle, Stevie Nicks, Shiela E, The Bangles, and The Family.

Props to Rick for Teena Marie.

SNYC

Lurking. I'm on that other board
Registered
people sleeping on rick. he has some very good produced music

put that mary jane girls 'all night long' on a good system and listen to that drum and bass :eek:

funk never gets old

THE GREAT ONE

Support BGOL
Registered
nfh6x0.jpg

31 to 13 like a lopsided football game
and remember sign o the times,crystal ball, and lotusflow3r are either double or triple albums
nuff said

AlexanderNevermind

Star
Registered
Prince sent Rick into a downward spiral, it was a competition between the two and Prince won, same way he won vs Michael Jackson. Both of them dead chasing Prince, with RJames went to his grave collecting L's from the GoAT, MJ Died trying to chase Prince's touring record at the time, and look at the GOAT going to drop two albums with diff bands on the same day , wether u like the music or not, dat is kick ass :yes::yes::yes::yes:

And it's not apple and oranges if you know the history of the two

massdagod

Rising Star
OG Investor
Im gonna keep it 1000 w/ yall...

I wasnt allowed to Listen to Prince because my Mom and Pops said he was a Faggot.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: