Votes: 20 14.7%
  • Prince

Votes: 116 85.3%

• Total voters

Better

Support BGOL
Registered
Prince is really a sore topic for me.

I've never liked his music. Generally, it's not a problem to not like an artist's music.

Not Prince, tho'.

I have never in my life seen people get so worked up when you say you don't care for an artist's music.

It got so bad, that in the late mid-2000s I decided to just buy up a bunch of Prince albums, and just make myself listen to it, because CLEARLY I was missing something.

With the exception of ONE SONG - "The One" - I felt no connection.

I did this, because I met this chick on MySpace who stopped talking to me because I told her 'I don't really get the big deal over Prince'. She just straight stopped responding after a few impassioned attempts at changing my mind. :confused: That was the straw that broke the camel's back. She wasn't the first person who acted like I was an alien, but her response was the most extreme, especially considering we had been talking for a couple of weeks.

Fuck that lil' nigga.

That's why I liked Ginuwine's 'When Doves Cry' better than his version.

Faggot.

Last edited:

An RnB Thug

El Capitan of The LOVE BOAT
Platinum Member
Rick's music was different from Prince's
They had different Genres to an extent.
Prince did much more Pop while Rick was
Pure Funk.....

Better

Support BGOL
Registered
...oh, and Rick James by a mile, for me.

Obviously Prince is very talented, but just because an artist has musical talent doesn't mean you will like their music.

I'm not even a huge Rick James fan, but his music was less gay.

Not to mention, the moniker 'His Royal Badness' easily goes to Rick James. :lol:

AlexanderNevermind

Star
Registered
...oh, and Rick James by a mile, for me.

Obviously Prince is very talented, but just because an artist has musical talent doesn't mean you will like their music.

I'm not even a huge Rick James fan, but his music was less gay.

Not to mention, the moniker 'His Royal Badness' easily goes to Rick James. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: less gay

eab7532d530d4a2484781923e70cd84e.jpg

rick-james-street-songs-back.jpg

Last edited:

Better

Support BGOL
Registered
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back to the convo: Prince Won in all areas. He destroyed the teacher.

The beauty in all of this is, none of that matters to me, 'cause neither of them two syrupy ass niggas get any listens from me.

How you listen to that nigga with all of them feminine ass ad-libs? :lol: :smh:

massdagod

Rising Star
OG Investor
Your mom and pops listen to Marvin gaye?

To my recollection. No, at least none of the shit I could recognize.

Whats the correlation though? I dont recall seeing vids of Marvin Humping the floor screaming like a Bitch while looking like a bitch or performing w/ his Ass cheeks out, giving the homosexuals something to gawk over.. Obviously they didnt care how cute his "Beards" were that his name was attached to.

Even Luther Vandross Gay ass appeared less of a Faggot than Prince in comparison.

:smh:

My pops was a James Brown Fan, my moms was a Fan of good music (anything that has a good beat).

Big Philly

Rising Star
Registered
You guys are either young or don't know shit. :smh: In the 80s RIck James was as big as anyone except Michael Jackson. He did some crazy shit and went to prison and became a parody mostly because of the "I'm Rick James bitch!" thing but he had as many if not more hits in the 80s than Prince. :yes:

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
Re: Rick James Or Prince?

Prince was more of an genius when it came to music, he always blurred the genre lines almost creating such a unique sound that he almost created a new genre. But his influences was everything from David Bowie, James Brown, Sly Stone, Jimmy Hendrix, Rick James, Michael Jackson, Smoky Roberson, Kid Creole and others. He has dabbed in everything from funk, jazz, rap, rnb, classical, punk, disco, new age, pop and reggae. With James you get the sense that he was in the game to make monster hits, snd he did, with Prince it seems like his goal was to expand the possibilities of music by knocking down some of it's boundaries and walls ..

furlough

I want my daddy's records!
Platinum Member
rick's funk was the stankiest

prince is known for diluting his funk with pop at times

two great artists with ill catalogs that i still listen to this very day

FLoss

Surviving Kamala Emhoff-Harris
BGOL Investor
Prince by a mile. I still listen to Prince's pre- "1999" albums on the regular to this day.

I don't keep up w/ everything he is doing now, but dude's early catalogue - through the 90's - was straight up genius.

theart0f69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In the 80s no question it was Rick James. Rick had his time as Prince had his own era.

Bullshit...after Purple Rain hit in '84, it was a wrap for Rick James. Now don't get me wrong, Rick was a cold brother in his own right, I cant take anything from him, but honestly, since Purple Rain its been Prince. Before then, Rick James fo sho.

RoadRage

the voice of reason
BGOL Investor
The movie Purple Rain is loosely based off the Rick James Prince feud, with Morris playing the Rick James roll and Apollonia playing the part of Vanity (Note Prince stole Vanity away from Rick)...

lowlite

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Up until "Purple Rain", Rick was the shit. Afterwards, Prince took over a bit, Mike had both of them niggas shook for 20 years.

princeprince

Rising Star
Registered
can't be compared.....different artists

How so? Prince by a mile. Rule of thumb never show Prince anything, he will consume your entire style, and improve it, and crush you. He was the most competitive genius of the modern times. Prince at his best vs Rick James at his best, the nod goes to Prince. Prince was added to the tour because Rick James was struggling. Rick James own mom asked for Prince's autograph. LOL, besides Rick also lived as a drag queen in them coke days, when he was out doing coke with a bunch of fags, and trannys, just ask Eddie.

princeprince

Rising Star
Registered
Up until "Purple Rain", Rick was the shit. Afterwards, Prince took over a bit, Mike had both of them niggas shook for 20 years.

No one shook Prince, cept himself in the past. MJ was sacred of Prince, MJ thought he was slick with that JB stunt he pulled early on, but Prince talked slick about that dude left and right in songs, MJ was terrified of Prince, because Prince was too competitive, hell Prince when and basically put his nuts in MJ face in Las Vegas during a show, and MJ crying to Will I Am like a bitch afterwards. The only true competition Prince had was himself in the past, and hip hop culture in the 90's. Prince opened for Rick James, and kicked Rick's ass then stole his bitches.

gamersfuel

Rising Star
Registered
Prince was better overall cause the lil dude was a great producer and performer. His sound was totally different than most and he wrote his own shit. But Rick James was the shit too. Dude could hit the notes that dudes aint suppose to hit. and his voice was strong as fuck..

gw1933

Rising Star
Registered
Prince sent Rick into a downward spiral, it was a competition between the two and Prince won, same way he won vs Michael Jackson.

Prince didnt win against MJ...They are 2 totally different entities..

Prince was a better musician....But MJ was a better entertainer

Comparing the 2 is like comparing D'angelo to Usher. (i.e. a round peg in a square hole).