RIP to the G.O.A.T. Muhammad Ali

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
american-boxer-muhammad-ali-sits-in-the-back-seat-of-a-car-with-an-picture-id53319718

Bonafide Brethren

Star
BGOL Investor
Really dope and iconic pics in this thread!

Brother Ali did it his way, even if it meant it could/would cost him everything. He definitely shook up the world and showed us impossible is nothing.

RIP Champ. #thegreatest

BUMBAY DA DOGG

Rising Star
Registered
When he lit the Olympic Cauldron, I didn't see Ali as a fallen champion at all.

I looked at it as someone who was ill, but was determined to light the Olympic cauldron without dropping the torch...and he did it! And he raised the torch afterwards! And he did all of this even though his hand and arm was shaking visibly!

I read a story where he talked about being approached to light the Olympic flame. He said he wasn't sure if he wanted to do it, but when he did, he was afraid that he was going to drop the torch, or burn himself, someone else, or something...but he was determined to do it right.

I remember watching the Opening Ceremony that night, and screaming, "ALI! ALI! ALI!" when I saw him light the Cauldron. I was (and continue to be) proud of him, but I was especially proud of him on that night.

Peace Smoove,

BROTHER, I want to start by thanking you very much for catching my error of calling THE GREAT MUHAMMAD ALI, a fallen champion.

I was totally wrong in that statement. I will go back and edit my post.

My apologies to:
  • MUHAMMAD ALI
  • his legacy
  • all who gained strength, courage and love for BLACK PEOPLE through the example set by ALI
  • his family and all that love him
When I recalled what MUHAMMAD ALI did throughout his life:
  • especially that night,
  • at that point in his life,
  • against his biggest challengers (age and health)
Never was "THE GREATEST" ever fallen.

ALI stood like the GREAT PYRAMID of GIZA, towering, casting a magnificent silhouette, a monument to the POWER OF A BLACK MAN, a treasure loved by the world. A TRUE CHAMPION!

BROTHER SMOOVE, you reminded me that MUHAMMAD ALI stood majestic and triumphant like a PROUD BLACKMAN!!!

AS ALWAYS!!!

My apologies again.

Last edited:

Chitownheadbusa

♏|God|♏
BGOL Investor
Clinton and crystal are obvious,......

Off-top, the names just seemed weird. None of it was obvious to me, which is why I asked for an explanation; Thanks for not giving me one.

Anyways.....
After I made my post I googled some stuff; Billy did the imitation thing (he was a fan)......Gumbel interviewed him a few times....still lost on Clinton. Couldnt find anything that would suggest that Ali was super close to any of those guys. Guess it was a family decision.

CORNBREAD

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

02 Arena (London,England) held an exhibition celebrating Muhammad Ali

Announcement: With the sad news of his passing, all the staff at Muhammad Ali at The O2 offer their deepest sympathies to his family and friends at this difficult time. It is both an honour and a pleasure to be involved with an exhibition that celebrates the life and work of a true great, or quite simply The Greatest.

An exhibition celebrating the Muhammad Ali's incredible rise from humble beginnings to becoming the three times heavyweight champion of the World and known as The Greatest.

For the first time outside of USA, people will discover the true story behind one of the most recognizable sports figures of the 20th Century, experiencing a taste of the ‘Muhammad Ali Center’, the museum in Louisville dedicated to the six core principles of Ali’s life and be inspired by a story that transcends boxing glory with its humanity and diversity.

A full size boxing ring will allow the visitor to experience the thrill of the fights, be mesmerized by the grace and power of Ali the boxer and also the incredible amount of hard work, dedication and personal sacrifice that went into each fight. Visitors will experience a taste of the gym, the pre-fight rituals and feel something of the excitement the fighter feels before a match.

The exhibition will feature personal artifacts belonging to Muhammad Ali, including:

Muhammad Ali’s ‘Two Time World Champion’ rings from 1974 and 1978, presented to Drew ‘Bundini’ Brown.

Muhammad Ali’s worn 1980 headgear inscribed to Sylvester Stallone.

Torches and Participation Medals from the 1960 Rome Olympics, where Ali won the gold medal in boxing’s Light Heavyweight class in his last group of amateur fights.

Muhammad Ali is far more than just a boxer and the exhibition will reveal the stories behind his refusal to join the American military, fighting in the Vietnam War and subsequent struggle to be accepted back into the boxing world. Also, his religious conversion and his incredible interactions with some of the world’s most powerful and influential leaders including Martin Luther King, Malcolm Xand even Saddam Hussein and Leonid Brezhnev during the height of the Cold War.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yahoo Sports
Scores
News
Standings
Fantasy
Big League Stew
New York writer rips Derek Jeter's tribute to Muhammad Ali

Big League Stew By Mark Townsend12 hours ago

New York Yankees star Derek Jeter was among the millions to pay tribute to Muhammad Ali on Saturday.

Jeter wrote a brief, but seemingly heartfelt message on the Players' Tribune website, sharing what Ali had meant to him on a personal and professional level.

[Related: Marlins say Muhammad Ali's family is not angry about early tribute]

The tribute didn't really stand out among those directed toward Ali on this day of reflection and mourning. That would be impossible given the breadth of Ali's reach and the many lives he touched in so many ways. But it somehow stood out to New York Daily writer Ebenezer Samuel, who took the opportunity to rip every word Jeter wrote in an article he titled: "Derek Jeter honors Muhammad Ali for living the life he never would."

Never had such eloquent words of Jeter’s PR flaks rung quite this hollow, the most inauthentic athlete of our time celebrating the most genuine. From LeBron James to Chris Paul to Serena Williams, plenty of athletes spent Saturday paying tribute to Ali, but none came off as insincerely as Derek Jeter, “real” personality for hire.

Freedom, Derek? Really? Jeter always had that, from the very moment he landed in the Big Apple spotlight in 1995, a superstar who could have addressed any issue he ever wanted. But Jeter, tone-deaf on Saturday because he never listened to the world in the first place, never understood what Ali really brought, that what he really did was offer a roadmap for today’s athlete to be an activist.

Clearly, Samuel took specific issue with this line from Jeter's tribute.

He was one of the first athletes to speak his mind, and that opened the door for the many who do so today. He always stood up for what he believed, no matter what the cost.

Samuel is basically saying that Jeter had a chance to affect change at the height of his career and popularity in New York, but instead played coy, barely giving answers to baseball questions, let alone addressing bigger world issues.

Samuel also wrote:

You could walk up to Jeter in the Yankee locker room and ask him about his stance on race issues, or his position on the presidential election, or his thoughts on the way Ken Griffey Jr. wore his baseball cap, but there was always a lot of “what am I supposed to say?” rhetoric.

You're supposed to say what you want and what you believe, Derek. That's how the great Muhammad Ali always spoke.

The argument could be made that Jeter could have and even should have done more in that regard, but the argument can also be made that it wasn't Jeter's job or perhaps within his comfort zone to do so. Jeter is allowed to have a different personality from Ali, while still respecting and appreciating the courage Ali showed until his dying day.

[Elsewhere: Who plays first for Yankees with Mark Teixeira's season in jeopardy?]

Muhammad Ali was the exception, not the rule. He was a one-in-a-lifetime personality and a one-in-a-lifetime human being who had courage in ways few of us can comprehend. He was truly fearless. That's why millions respected him, and that's why millions are mourning his loss.

Ali was gifted and unique in every way possible that's both good and refreshing. To expect anyone else to be like him or to follow in those exact footsteps is simply unfair.

More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

Mark Townsend is a writer for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at bigleaguestew@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter! Follow @Townie813

View Comments (405)

Share this story

Recommended for You

WOW...they trying to go after Jeter?

So what about all these white people who suddenly LOVE Ali

the oppressor has taken the opportunity to now change the narrative of their MOST vocal opponent...

Ali came back from the Olympics after winning for THEM...

and they wouldn't let him use their pool or water fountain.

now Ali loved all people and preached equality and love and understanding...

especially with the oppressor?

ya'll trying to conveniently erase the DECADES that he called all of you out on your bullsh*t?

And got the unmitigated gall to write that Jeter aint HONOR him enough?

WTF has the oppressor done to HONOR us?

But we need to get over it right?

F*ck anyone associated with this claptrap.

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Muhammad Ali signs an autograph for two year-old Shelley Obermuller from Acton, during a training session at the Territorial Army Gymnasium at White City, London, 17th May 1966. Ali was is in London for a title defense against British champion Henry Cooper.

world-heavyweight-boxing-champion-cassius-clay-signs-an-autograph-for-picture-id634250335

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
President Barack Obama issued a profoundly emotional, honest statement on Ali:

Muhammad Ali was The Greatest. Period. If you just asked him, he’d tell you. He’d tell you he was the double greatest; that he’d "handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder into jail."

But what made The Champ the greatest - what truly separated him from everyone else - is that everyone else would tell you pretty much the same thing.

Like everyone else on the planet, Michelle and I mourn his passing. But we’re also grateful to God for how fortunate we are to have known him, if just for a while; for how fortunate we all are that The Greatest chose to grace our time.

In my private study, just off the Oval Office, I keep a pair of his gloves on display, just under that iconic photograph of him - the young champ, just 22 years old, roaring like a lion over a fallen Sonny Liston.

I was too young when it was taken to understand who he was - still Cassius Clay, already an Olympic gold medal winner, yet to set out on a spiritual journey that would lead him to his Muslim faith, exile him at the peak of his power, and set the stage for his return to greatness with a name as familiar to the downtrodden in the slums of South East Asia and the villages of Africa as it was to cheering crowds in Madison Square Garden.
‘I am America,’ he once declared. "I am the part you won’t recognize. But get used to me - black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own. Get used to me."

That’s the Ali I came to know as I came of age - not just as skilled a poet on the mic as he was a fighter in the ring, but a man who fought for what was right. A man who fought for us. He stood with King and Mandela; stood up when it was hard; spoke out when others wouldn’t.

His fight outside the ring would cost him his title and his public standing. It would earn him enemies on the left and the right, make him reviled, and nearly send him to jail. But Ali stood his ground. And his victory helped us get used to the America we recognize today.

He wasn’t perfect, of course. For all his magic in the ring, he could be careless with his words, and full of contradictions as his faith evolved. But his wonderful, infectious, even innocent spirit ultimately won him more fans than foes - maybe because in him, we hoped to see something of ourselves.
Later, as his physical powers ebbed, he became an even more powerful force for peace and reconciliation around the world.

We saw a man who said he was so mean he’d make medicine sick reveal a soft spot, visiting children with illness and disability around the world, telling them they, too, could become the greatest.

We watched a hero light a torch, and fight his greatest fight of all on the world stage once again; a battle against the disease that ravaged his body, but couldn’t take the spark from his eyes.

Muhammad Ali shook up the world. And the world is better for it. We are all better for it. Michelle and I send our deepest condolences to his family, and we pray that the greatest fighter of them all finally rests in peace.”

BUMBAY DA DOGG

Rising Star
Registered
Peace FAM,

ALI discussing:
  • what he considered his toughest fight
  • what he considered the pinnacle of his career
  • if the Liston fight was fixed
  • THE RUMBLE IN THE JUNGLE "ROPE-A-DOPE" strategy was created in the ring
  • declining military service
  • the venom the press attacked him with
  • would he fight for South Africa to end apartheid

Last edited:

CORNBREAD

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That shits expensive on that site.
Lol .You said what I was thinking .That is true .It doesnt hurt to do some comparative shopping.This site lets me see what's available on Ali apparel then I'll shop elsewhere !!!

Last edited: