Sports Media: Skip Bayliss Leaving ESPN for FOX $6 Mil/yr UPDATE: UNDISPUTED OVER!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
ESPN analyst Skip Bayless explains disputed claims about basketball career

w300-2789ca8c75f807ac940d5ec019b463f6.jpg

SKIP BAYLESS: Three days after a post from TheLostOgle.com disputed Skip Bayless' claims about his high school basketball career, Bayless and fellow analyst Jalen Rose got into a heated exchange about the matter on ESPN2's “First Take.”

ESPN analyst Jalen Rose criticized fellow commentator Skip Bayless on Tuesday for overstating his high school basketball skills at Northwest Classen High School, referring to him as “Water Pistol Pete Junior.”

In a March 31 Tweet, Bayless claimed he had started for a state championship runner-up team. Norman defeated Northwest 47-42 in the 1970 state finals.

“Did you average 1.4 points as a senior in high school? Rose asked Bayless on ESPN2's “First Take.”

“Yep, I did,” Bayless replied.

“All that Pistol Pete stuff,” Rose said, referring to Bayless' claims that he was a good shooter. “Water Pistol Pete Junior.”

Responding Wednesday on “First Take,” Bayless said his “nightmarish” basketball career at Northwest drove him into the media to discuss basketball. “I only talk about this because now my integrity and credibility has been questioned by many of my Twitter followers,” he said.

Bayless said his starting career was short lived because coach Don Van Pool transferred in his son, Donnie Van Pool, from Southeast High School. “I did start for that team, but not for long,” he said.

Bayless' basketball knowledge has been criticized by some of his critics, including Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant, who said Bayless “doesn't know anything about basketball” in defending teammate Russell Westbrook, who is regularly criticized by Bayless for shooting too much as a point guard.

Sports Animal broadcaster Craig Humphreys, who graduated with Bayless from Northwest Classen in 1970, said he remembered Bayless as a seventh man as a senior.

“He probably did start some games,” he said. “His senior year he was like the No. 7 man. Coach (Don) Van Pool and Skip were never really on the same page. I love Coach Van Pool. He was a Henry Iba disciple, but he was more of a slowdown guy and Skip was more get up and down the floor. Skip could really shoot. He really could.”

Bruce Scott, a 6-2 guard on that team who went on to play at OU, said he remembered Bayless starting a “handful of games.” “He got lost in the shuffle there. He would have scored 18 points a game at John Marshall.”

In a Monday post, TheLostOgle.com disputed Bayless' claim that he was a starter after searching through Northwest yearbooks from that period. The website posted a document the showed he only scored 21 points in 15 games for a 1.4 average.

The website Sportsbybrooks.com also posted The Oklahoman's box scores from the 1970 state championship and a 1969 first-round state tournament game in which Tulsa Hale defeated Northwest Classen 64-60. Bayless was listed with all zeroes, indicating he had gotten in the game but had not taken a shot.

Bayless' Tweet posted March 31 to his hundreds of thousands of followers, stated, “I started for high school team that lost in the state finals. Coach didn't like me b/c I shot too much and he wanted me to be more of a PG (point guard).”

In a later Tweet, he said he was an MVP of a summer basketball camp after ninth grade. “Tall for 9th grade, chosen MVP of state-wide basketball camp over several future D1 players. Decided I was Maravich. Coach disagreed.”

On “First Take” Wednesday, Bayless called the Tweets “100 percent accurate, but thanks to the 140 point character limit was only 5 percent of the story.” In retrospect, he said he should have expounded on his comments with additional Tweets.

Bayless admitted he played on the junior varsity “B Team” as a junior to learn how to play point guard. “He (Van Pool) wanted me to be a point guard. I felt I didn't have the aptitude or the desire to distribute the basketball.”

As a senior, Bayless said he was scared to shoot. “I lived in fear of ever taking a shot. By two-thirds of the season, I got into his doghouse again. I clashed. I rebelled. … It killed me. It was the worst experience of my sports life.”

Van Pool, who died in December at age 83, led the Knights to state championships in 1964, 1965 and 1968 and an overall record of 250-95.

Bayless, 60, who attended Vanderbilt University, has had a successful career as a sports columnist with several newspapers, including The Dallas Morning News, Los Angeles Times and Miami Herald. He joined ESPN in 2007.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
EVEN HIS OWN PEEPS ARE AGAINST HIM NOW (good read)...​

I do not want to pretend that this column is something it is not. This is not a defense of Oklahoma City Thunder Head Coach Scott Brooks. This is not an attack on the National Football League’s favorite Christian, Tim Tebow.

This is an attack on the worst ESPN sports personality on the air today: Skip Bayless.

First I must admit, Bayless paid his dues to get to where he is today. In his early 20s, he wrote sports features for the Los Angeles Times. At the L.A. Times his work bordered on investigative journalism. He quickly made a name for himself by reporting on the Dodgers’ clubhouse resentment for Steve Garvey and the Los Angeles Rams’ behind-the-scenes decision making processes.

Bayless made a name for himself when he wrote a sports trilogy on the history of the Dallas Cowboys. After award-winning stints as a columnist for the Chicago Tribune and then the San Jose Mercury News, Bayless found himself making appearances on ESPN’s “Rome is Burning.” By 2007, Bayless had quit working as a columnist altogether to focus on ESPN’s
“First Take.” This is the show he can be found on today.

Airing from 10 a.m. ET until noon, “First Take” shows Bayless at his best (or, for most people worst). Bayless has come to exemplify the worst side of sports journalism. He uses ridiculous exaggerations, which border on blatant lies, in an attempt to establish contrarian opinions. These arguments serve to misinform millions of viewers who trust Bayless for his name recognition alone. In addition, Bayless’s recent arguments are anger inducing and insulting to any one with basic sports knowledge.

In order to get a feel for Bayless’s recent mark on sports, let’s take a look at his latest argument. Last week, Bayless took to Twitter to discuss the Oklahoma City Thunder. He had decided that head coach Scott Brooks had it all wrong. Russell Westbrook should no longer be playing point guard for OKC. James Harden, OKC’s shooting guard, should take over the point and kick Westbrook out to the wing.

On the surface, this is a horrible idea. The Thunder currently have the best record in the Western Conference, the second best record in the NBA and a guaranteed spot in the playoffs. Why would they switch anything up?

Beneath the surface, this is also a horrible idea. Westbrook has consistently averaged more assists-per-game (6.8) over his career than Harden (2.5). Harden has no extensive experience at the point guard position. Coming out of Arizona State, scouts established a consensus that he quite frankly did not have the athleticism to play at point guard. Westbrook, on the other hand, has been a point guard since he came into the league. A late season switch while the team sits atop the Western Conference standings would be ludicrous.

Bayless did not seem so concerned with the statistics. Instead, he went to the only argument stronger than concrete statistics: his high school basketball career. Bayless tweeted, “FYI: I started for high school team that lost in state finals. Coach didn’t like me b/c I shot too much and he wanted me to be more PG.”

Bayless is a smart guy, though. He knew this tweet could not simply stand by itself as a defense. So, Skip tweeted again, “Tall for age in 9th grade, chosen MVP of state-wide basketball camp over several future D1 players. Decided I was Maravich. Coach disagreed.”

It is clear that Bayless does not get the point on this one. This type of argument is typical of the type of sports journalist Bayless has become. When his arguments cannot be backed with concrete statistics, he resorts to the type of petty personal details that add nothing to an argument.

Let’s give Bayless the benefit of the doubt, though. Maybe a former standout high school athlete is more qualified to judge basketball statistics than a lowly “stat nerd.” Well, a local OKC sports blog got a hold of Bayless’s statistics and he was far from a standout. As a junior, Bayless was not even a member of his school’s junior varsity team. His senior year as “the starting point guard of a state championship team?” Bayless averaged 1.4 points per game in 15 games played.

So, Bayless did not simply believe that his career as a high school hoops standout would add to his argument about an NBA team. Bayless believed that his imaginary career as a high school hoops standout would add to his argument about an NBA team.

Whether it be the inclusion of Tebow’s strong faith when rating his abilities as a quarterback or the inclusion of his personal high school basketball career when evaluating the Thunder’s starting line-up, Bayless has made irrelevant facts and blatant exaggerations a staple in his career at ESPN. Next time “First Take” pops up on your T.V., I urge you to turn away.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
apparently he couldn't shoot in game....where it counts

he's a clown and has been exposed as much
it was always borderline reporter borderline shock jock
you respected the reporting because he said he did some things
now those things aren't true...what is there to respect when it comes to basketball?

he should be like the other special analyst now, he is no longer jack of all trades...his opinion only matters somewhat in football, he should be on the other side of the table with lomas brown.

get a real analyst in there to do the day to day

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

now those things aren't true...what is there to respect when it comes to basketball?

he should be like the other special analyst now, he is no longer jack of all trades...his opinion only matters somewhat in football, he should be on the other side of the table with lomas brown.

:bravo:

naijachief

Son of Community
Registered

Tim Tebow? :D

april69

Star
Registered
Im a huge skip fan because he tells the other side of the story....but this shit is pissing me off . He cant have it both ways. You cant attack people on the air, call them names, make up nicknames for them and then stop the whole progression of the show because somebody called you a name. That shit aint fair. That should have rolled off his back . Instead this is the 3rd day we are talking about this. He let a coon nigga like JalenRose get to him? Thats

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Im a huge skip fan because he tells the other side of the story....but this shit is pissing me off . He cant have it both ways. You cant attack people on the air, call them names, make up nicknames for them and then stop the whole progression of the show because somebody called you a name. That shit aint fair. That should have rolled off his back . Instead this is the 3rd day we are talking about this. He let a coon nigga like JalenRose get to him? Thats

stop

aside from that you see why everyone is getting him
because he dishes but when he gets hit he runs to his mommy

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Calling jalen that is completely unnecessary.
Jalen told the truth nothing more.
Why does race enter into it?
If anyone is "coon-ing", its skip.
His ignorant,uninformed,insensitive comments caused his own downfall.
Everyone has a right to their opinion.
But he not only lied,but was exposed for his utter and complete lack of knowledge on the subject he claims to know so well FROM EXPERIENCE!!!
And be is a sensitive add fraud and coward.
He has now become a symbol for all bitter white old no-skills having sports writers clinging desperately to an industry that is making them obsolete by the minute.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member

You are a fucking idiot :smh:

april69

Star
Registered
But he not only lied,but was exposed for his utter and complete lack of knowledge on the subject he claims to know so well FROM EXPERIENCE!!!
He has now become a symbol for all bitter white old no-skills having sports writers clinging desperately to an industry that is making them obsolete by the minute.

For the most part im on the reporters side on this issue. Athletes saying we shouldnt be harshly judged by reporters is bull. I appreciate a reporter thats willing to take on athletes and call them to the carpet as long as he has a legit point. If you only have the Jalenrose and mwileys commenting on sports you never get an honest critical perspective.

If you listen to Jalens analysis you will never get a negative criticism. ALL of his commentaries are positive because he will not be critical of people that he feels are his collegues.

All we have heard all year long is how great The Heat team is and how deep they are and just wait til MikeMiller comes back...but as soon as they have a tough stretch the excuses start flying about LeBrons teammates. Its the same thing that happened in Cleveland.

Skip calls LeBron out for being a crunchtime failure. As a logical sportsfan I appreciate that. But I also see where he goes too far in his crusade against Lebron. But I'm smart enough to know the difference.

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered

And you can see how someone can be a "huge skip fan".

I would put harden at the point too

And you would be making a horrible mistake as well. You would be replacing a guy you think shoots too much for the position with an actual shooting guard. Fighting to lead the Western Conference is not the place to train a new pg.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
For the most part im on the reporters side on this issue. Athletes saying we shouldnt be harshly judged by reporters is bull. I appreciate a reporter thats willing to take on athletes and call them to the carpet as long as he has a legit point. If you only have the Jalenrose and mwileys commenting on sports you never get an honest critical perspective.

If you listen to Jalens analysis you will never get a negative criticism. ALL of his commentaries are positive because he will not be critical of people that he feels are his collegues.

All we have heard all year long is how great The Heat team is and how deep they are and just wait til MikeMiller comes back...but as soon as they have a tough stretch the excuses start flying about LeBrons teammates. Its the same thing that yhappened in Cleveland.

Skip calls LeBron out for being a crunchtime failure. As a logical sportsfan I appreciate that. But I also see where he goes too far in his crusade against Lebron. But I'm smart enough to know the difference.

I appreciate an individual who can state their case without using a racial slur to defend a white commentator who routinely makes offensive ill informed remarks concerning predominantly black players.
You want to cape Skip?
Fine.
But that use of a slur pretty much proves our point.
He is obviously speaking YOUR language.
Trent Dilfer won 1 super bowl
And critiques players he couldn't carry water for.
But I still respect his opinions cause he played the game and won.
Barry Melrose got fired as an NHL coach after a few weeks,but he knows the game.
Skip is a liar, hypocrite and fake.
He is troll who says stupidness for effect.
But I thought he knew his place and had some type of integrity.
Nope.
The next time he calls an athlete out his name
He should get it like Jim Rome.
I don't respect him or his opinions and stopped watching.
Not that I really did anyway.

gtg305h

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn this mofo 60 yrs old on this bullshit? SMH...muhfugga 5 yrs from MediCare talking that crazy shit...

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
I appreciate an individual who can state their case without using a racial slur to defend a white commentator who routinely makes offensive ill informed remarks concerning predominantly black players.
You want to cape Skip?
Fine.
Barry Melrose got fired as an NHL coach after a few weeks,but he knows the game.
Nope.

co-sign.jpg

curryshotta

Rising Star
Registered
I dont defend skip.

But to be honest when I see Harden on the floor for the Thunder I am amazed at how composed and natural he looks at doing ball handling duties.

I can see why he thinks that.

Other than that Skip is on his own.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor

All we have heard all year long is how great The Heat team is and how deep they are and just wait til MikeMiller comes back...but as soon as they have a tough stretch the excuses start flying about LeBrons teammates. Its the same thing that happened in Cleveland.

THIS alone proves that you have no fuckin' idea about what you're saying. Admit it, what you meant to say is that you like it when a white man puts these uppity negroes in their place, right? :hmm:

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
THIS alone proves that you have no fuckin' idea about what you're saying. Admit it, what you meant to say is that you like it when a white man puts these uppity negroes in their place, right? :hmm:

That bitch ass cac april got an ock coming of epic proportions

april69

Star
Registered
You want to cape Skip?
Fine.
Nope.

My bad. I didnt know that calling an ignorant black guy a mush mouth coon was offensive to somebody on a porn sight. ON any given thread you can see a black woman sucking dick in a signature but I dont see you upset by that. But if calling a guy a coon that cant speak a sentence correctly offends you, so be it.

I dont criticize Jalen much for his analysis, I hate his delivery. HE CANT TALK...GET HIM OFF THE FUCKING SHOW. HE IS A FUCKING EMBARRASSEMENT TO AFRICAN AMERICANS. Not only him, but Loomis Brown, Jerry Rice, or Marcellus Wiley and the rest of those dumb negros that cant put a subject and verb together needs to go. Im sick of that shit. If I hear one more "so called analyst" say HE DO PLAY GOOD, Im going to shoot myself.

Skip has his issues. But I like the show because his takes cause questions. He isnt sucking LeBrons dick. He has been saying for years that LeBron is a choke artist. He is saying stuff like "maybe the Bulls are better without DRose," "Westbrook aint that good." No matter how off he is, it causes decent discussion.

He said in August that Tebow should start for the Broncos. After a 1-4 start, he said Tebow would go 7-4 and go to the playoffs. The Broncos finished the season 8-5. No matter how much you dislike what he was saying, bottom line is, he was right about that.

I do agree that he should not get upset about being called WaterGun Pete. If you can dish it out you gotta take it.

O.J PIMPSON

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Skip does that name calling shit because none of these athletes he talks shit about are willing to throw their money nor endorsements or future away by fucking him up. That simple, if there was a guy who just didn't give a fuck and tapped his jaw he'd stop. I do believe if Lebron is the key reason that the Miami Heat win a championship and he dominates the series wins mvp and all that expect him to go ham on Skip after the game

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
My bad. I didnt know that calling an ignorant black guy a mush mouth coon was offensive to somebody on a porn sight. ON any given thread you can see a black woman sucking dick in a signature but I dont see you upset by that. But if calling a guy a coon that cant speak a sentence correctly offends you, so be it.

I dont criticize Jalen much for his analysis, I hate his delivery. HE CANT TALK...GET HIM OFF THE FUCKING SHOW. HE IS A FUCKING EMBARRASSEMENT TO AFRICAN AMERICANS. Not only him, but Loomis Brown, Jerry Rice, or Marcellus Wiley and the rest of those dumb negros that cant put a subject and verb together needs to go. Im sick of that shit. If I hear one more "so called analyst" say HE DO PLAY GOOD, Im going to shoot myself.

Skip has his issues. But I like the show because his takes cause questions. He isnt sucking LeBrons dick. He has been saying for years that LeBron is a choke artist. He is saying stuff like "maybe the Bulls are better without DRose," "Westbrook aint that good." No matter how off he is, it causes decent discussion.

He said in August that Tebow should start for the Broncos. After a 1-4 start, he said Tebow would go 7-4 and go to the playoffs. The Broncos finished the season 8-5. No matter how much you dislike what he was saying, bottom line is, he was right about that.

I do agree that he should not get upset about being called WaterGun Pete. If you can dish it out you gotta take it.

in all my years on the board...

i am speechless...:hmm: