Television icon Phil Donahue dies at 88

Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member
RIP. He had a helluvah run. Sadly I glazed over the thread title at first and my heart swelled with joy as I though that cunt quack Phil had croaked.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
One of the dudes looked like Tommy from Martin and his Lover looking like Prince,them niggas,they were paid actors but at that moment shit got real....coming out and beating motherfuckers with them bushell of roses

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
One of the dudes looked like Tommy from Martin and his Lover looking like Prince,them niggas,they were paid actors but at that moment shit got real....coming out and beating motherfuckers with them bushell of roses

This was after Jerry switched up his format..he was doing serious topics sort of at first(drugs,teen runaways,racism etc)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I even remember when Ricki hooked up one of her producers with a talk show (Charles Perez) :lol:

giphy.gif

You get a show you get a show you get a show

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
RIP,I loved his daytime show. Whenever I stayed home from school I would watch his show. My 1st introduction to Dr Francis Cress Welsing was on his show. He was never afraid to have Farrakhan on his show. Sucks all the old heads r leaving this world it seems in rapid order.

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor

If "BIG MALCOLM X PLAY COUSIN" actually believes his own words, he's an IDIOT. He provided zero foundation for his idiotic claim.

To posit Black people and Phil Donahue in an "us vs them" framework is to be ignorant about Phil Donahue and how he operated.

He was not the opp.

Phil was the only syndicated tv interviewer to give Khalid, Min. Farrakhan, Dr. Francis Cress Welsing, Dhoruba Bin Wahad, Sister Souljah and a number of other freedom-fighting Black folks a platform- without trying to stifle and suppress them.

This was my favorite episode and I've seen it many times. Phil gave Min. Muhammad space to break things down. Furthermore, per Minister Muhammad's request, the Black audience members were placed in the front and the whites in the back.

Knowing full well Khalid Muhammad's stance, Phil asked a rhetorical question- playing devil's advocate in order to present the WASP standpoint, to open space for Khalid to make clear his position and expand the dialogue. This was Phil's methodology on every show. He was hardly "destroyed".

Duece

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If "BIG MALCOLM X PLAY COUSIN" actually believes his own words, he's an IDIOT. He provided zero foundation for his idiotic claim.

To posit Black people and Phil Donahue in an "us vs them" framework is to be ignorant about Phil Donahue and how he operated.

He was not the opp.

Phil was the only syndicated tv interviewer to give Khalid, Min. Farrakhan, Dr. Francis Cress Welsing, Dhoruba Bin Wahad, Sister Souljah and a number of other freedom-fighting Black folks a platform- without trying to stifle and suppress them.

This was my favorite episode and I've seen it many times. Phil gave Min. Muhammad space to break things down. Furthermore, per Minister Muhammad's request, the Black audience members were placed in the front and the whites in the back.

Knowing full well Khalid Muhammad's stance, Phil asked a rhetorical question- playing devil's advocate in order to present the WASP standpoint, to open space for Khalid to make clear his position and expand the dialogue. This was Phil's methodology on every show. He was hardly "destroyed".

Thanks for offering a different viewpoint.

I didn't watch Donahue growing up, I was more into the trashy talk shows, such as Ricki Lake, Maury, Jenny, Jerry and Queen Latifah's first talk show from the early 2000s.

so I wasnt familiar with Donahue's style.

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
Thanks for offering a different viewpoint.

I didn't watch Donahue growing up, I was more into the trashy talk shows, such as Ricki Lake, Maury, Jenny, Jerry and Queen Latifah's first talk show from the early 2000s.

so I wasnt familiar with Donahue's style.
Completely understood. I got to enjoy his show a number of times over the years. Used to record it at one point. Here's some more on him:

____

"After a series of early jobs in radio and TV, Donahue was invited to move an earlier radio talk show to Dayton’s WLWD television station in 1967. It moved in 1974 to Chicago, where it stayed for years, then ended its run in New York.

The show featured discussions with spiritual leaders, doctors, homemakers, activists and entertainers or politicians who might be passing through town. A frequent guest was his Centerville, Ohio, neighbor Erma Bombeck, the humorist and syndicated columnist.

Donahue said striking upon the show’s winning formula was a happy accident.

“It may have been a full three years before any of us began to understand that our program was something special,” Donahue wrote. “The show’s style had developed not by genius but by necessity. The familiar talk-show heads were not available to us in Dayton, Ohio. ... The result was improvisation.”

That lent a freedom to the show that persisted as it grew to No. 1 status in its class.

With an amiable style and a head of salt-and-pepper hair, Donahue boxed with Muhammad Ali. He played football with Alice Cooper. His guests gave cooking lessons, taught break dancing and, more controversially, described “mansharing,” being a mistress, lesbian motherhood or — with the help of gathered video that got shows banned in certain cities — how natural childbirth, abortion or reverse vasectomies worked.

Citing the diversity of Donahue’s subjects and guests, consumer rights activist Ralph Nader called him in a statement Monday “the greatest defender and enabler of our Constitution’s First Amendment right of free speech in 20th century America.”

A stop on “Donahue” became a must for important politicians, activists, athletes, business leaders and entertainers, from Hubert Humphrey to Ronald Reagan, Gloria Steinem to Anita Bryant, Lee Iacocca to Ray Kroc, John Wayne to Farrah Fawcett.

Outside of his famous talk show, Donahue pursued several other projects.

He partnered with Soviet journalist Vladimir Posner for a groundbreaking television discussion series during the Cold War in the 1980s. The U.S.-Soviet Bridge featured simultaneous broadcasts from the United States and the Soviet Union, where studio audiences could ask questions of one another. Donahue and Posner also co-hosted a weekly issues roundtable, Posner/Donahue, on CNBC in the 1990s.

Donahue also co-directed the 2006 documentary “Body of War,” which was nominated for an Oscar."

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

ny1800

Rising Star
Registered
He's a little bit better than most them tv show honkies cuz he gave a platform to Dr. Khalid Mohammed and Farrakhan. That episode with Khalid Mohammed was so legendary I seen it many times over and show folks the greatness of our beloved brother. Rest In Peace to the Honorable Dr. Khalid Mohammed.