The DC Politics Thread

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

In Bowser's words, it is a budget of“Strategic Investments and Shared Sacrifice”

To summarize:

• ⁠Eliminates the Circulator bus
• ⁠Eliminates the Early Childhood Educator Pay Equity Fund (which helps pay for daycare and caregivers).
• ⁠Increases sales tax starting October 2025, increasing to 7% gradually over two years
• ⁠Invests in regional plan to avoid Metro service cuts (using new sales tax revenue)
• ⁠Increases taxes on businesses paying into the Paid Family Leave program (back to 2021 level)
• ⁠Introduces new fees on hotel bookings
• ⁠Increases funding for 911 call center (using hotel bookings fee revenue)
• ⁠Reduces funding to Housing Production Trust Fund (affordable housing initiative, $100M => $60M)
• ⁠Funds 40 new "community safety officers" for crime-fighting
• ⁠Increases staffing at Department of Youth Rehabilitative Services facilities
• ⁠Funds items on Secure DC (omnibus crime bill)
• ⁠Proposes expansions of career centers in Wards 5 and 8
• ⁠Funds Major Capital One Arena renovations
• ⁠Funds three major streetscape projects
• ⁠Offers tax incentives for converting vacant office space into residential or other uses
• ⁠Builds more housing at the Community for Creative Non-Violence shelter downtown
• ⁠Eliminates roughly 480 positions in District government, 69 of which are occupied and will potentially be laid-off

PlayerR

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

In Bowser's words, it is a budget of“Strategic Investments and Shared Sacrifice”

To summarize:

• ⁠Eliminates the Circulator bus
• ⁠Eliminates the Early Childhood Educator Pay Equity Fund (which helps pay for daycare and caregivers).
• ⁠Increases sales tax starting October 2025, increasing to 7% gradually over two years
• ⁠Invests in regional plan to avoid Metro service cuts (using new sales tax revenue)
• ⁠Increases taxes on businesses paying into the Paid Family Leave program (back to 2021 level)
• ⁠Introduces new fees on hotel bookings
• ⁠Increases funding for 911 call center (using hotel bookings fee revenue)
• ⁠Reduces funding to Housing Production Trust Fund (affordable housing initiative, $100M => $60M)
• ⁠Funds 40 new "community safety officers" for crime-fighting
• ⁠Increases staffing at Department of Youth Rehabilitative Services facilities
• ⁠Funds items on Secure DC (omnibus crime bill)
• ⁠Proposes expansions of career centers in Wards 5 and 8
• ⁠Funds Major Capital One Arena renovations
• ⁠Funds three major streetscape projects
• ⁠Offers tax incentives for converting vacant office space into residential or other uses
• ⁠Builds more housing at the Community for Creative Non-Violence shelter downtown
• ⁠Eliminates roughly 480 positions in District government, 69 of which are occupied and will potentially be laid-off

Coonser needs to go, as well as most of the city council.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Solving this problem will do more to reduce crime than locking kids up:

1 out of 3 9th graders missing 1 out of 3 days of school... :smh:

D.C. mayor’s bill targets truancy, mandates aggressive prosecution​

The District’s deputy mayor for public safety and justice said she was ‘okay’ if the bill meant more youths would be locked behind bars

Published April 3, 2024

D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) unveiled legislation Wednesday that would require the Office of the Attorney General in D.C. to more aggressively prosecute children and teens who commit certain crimes and take action to resolve all truancy cases — a proposal that would limit prosecutorial discretion as local leaders try to address a crisis among young people in the District.

In a move decried by some advocates and attorneys, the bill would restrict prosecutors from using plea agreements for youths charged with violent offenses and ban diversion programs for those facing gun charges. The District’s deputy mayor for public safety and justice said she was “okay” if the bill meant more youths would be locked behind bars, continuing the administration’s push for more punitive criminal justice policies after a historically violent 2023 in the nation’s capital.

“If it increases commitment, we’re okay with that,” Lindsey Appiah, the deputy mayor, said of the bill. “We’re committed to ensuring that our kids get the right services [and] supports to make them and the community safe.”

The bill, which targets changes in the criminal justice system and schools, comes as elected officials face pressure to address two separate issues hurting children and teens in the District: an increase in violence and alarmingly high truancy rates. Local leaders have been careful not to link the two issues, as most kids who miss school are not committing crimes. But Bowser and members of the D.C. Council have said that increasing school attendance is a necessary part of keeping children safe and out of trouble. Two council members recently introduced separate measures addressing truancy — defined as a student missing at least 10 full days of school without a formal excuse — and absenteeism.

The Office of the Attorney General has publicly stated that it does not view prosecution as the appropriate response to truancy, a position echoed in a 2019 report commissioned by the mayor. Last year, the office received 295 truancy referrals — a fraction of the number of students who are often absent from D.C. schools.

Some research suggests the potential of more legal consequences for children is not helpful. A study published by the Criminal Justice Coordinating Council, an independent D.C. agency, found that recidivism for children and teens in a 2018 cohort increased as they moved deeper into the system. In the last fiscal year, the attorney general’s office said it diverted 15 cases with a lead charge of violence.

The office declined to comment on the mayor’s proposal. “We just received the bill this morning and are reviewing,” a spokesperson said. “We look forward to offering an analysis once we’ve had a chance to assess it in full.”

The mayor’s bill, which she unveiled with her long-awaited $21 billion budget for the next fiscal year, would also allow middle school principals to suspend students who bring drugs or weapons to school, create an alternative campus for students with severe behavioral problems, and modify the referral process for children with poor attendance.

“We are glad that there’s some focus and attention on the issue of school disengagement and absenteeism,” said Danielle Robinette, a senior policy attorney at Children’s Law Center in D.C. “I think the ‘but’ there is that the focus really needs to be on breaking down those barriers. When we’re thinking about commonly reported barriers to attendance, it comes down to things like health-care access, behavioral-health-care concerns, unstable housing, food insecurity, not feeling safe in their communities, not having transportation to begin with.”

Last year in D.C., 37 percent of students — and 47 percent of high-schoolers — were truant. Overall, 43 percent of students were chronically absent, which includes excused and unexcused absences, for at least 10 percent of the school year, or about 18 days. Those figures are improvements from the 2021-2022 school year, but still higher than pre-pandemic attendance levels, mirroring patterns nationwide as schools struggle to get students in the habit of attending every day.

Meanwhile, 106 children and teens were shot in 2023, 16 of them fatally. Two other youths were fatally beaten and another was fatally stabbed. More youths were also accused of pulling the trigger last year than in the previous one.

Last week, three girls ages 12 and 13 were charged with fatally beating a man. None of the girls had previous arrests, but all three had long-standing truancy issues, according to information released in court. Bowser, in a recent television interview addressing the crime, teased the forthcoming bill.

Under the mayor’s bill, the city would refer students who are truant but have fewer than 25 absences to the Department of Human Services, to give families resources such as case management and group therapy to determine why a child is missing class. Children between 5 and 13 would be sent to the agency after 10 unexcused absences. Older students would be referred after 15 absences.

PlayerR

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What they need to do is produce the revenues for the speed cameras & parking enforcement and what they money is being used for. And they need to be called out for all the money they have wasted with the bike lane crap & other street modifications.

fourthstbully

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What they need to do is produce the revenues for the speed cameras & parking enforcement and what they money is being used for. And they need to be called out for all the money they have wasted with the bike lane crap & other street modifications.
like i said earlier, DC politician are a joke. those bike lines are way past fucked up, smh. definitely fucked up NJ Ave by me.

PlayerR

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Interesting...Yeah Safeway is definitely a DMV thing....When you get down to NC and SC it's a whole different brand of grocery stores....

This is similar to Kaiser Health....Kaiser is only in CA and the DMV area....

Out west they are Vons grocery stores that are under the Albertsons ownership. Kind of like how you can use your Kroger's discount at Harris Teeter

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
These greedy bastards have “exitfare” machines. You walk up unsure of how much exactly you have on your card. The machine lets you through. You go to your destination, go to exit and it buzzes. They want you to pay to leave!!!

It would be most efficient if it were taxpayer funded and free to everyone!

That's how it's been tho.

When I first got to DC they charge you by the distance you traveled so your balance changed upon exiting the metro station.

I use to catch the metro from greenbelt to shady grove depending on the time of day you go it would cost me $7.

If I didn't have enough to cover upon exit you'd have to reload your card.

Lots of people revealing hatred of the poor(er)…

Haven't rode the metro in years in DC so it's crazy to see this now.

There were times when I'd slide behind someone else exiting real quick but this is crazy because the amount of people that depend on that metro is critical and I could be wrong but I don't remember any programs to help make metro more affordable.

Especially for the infrequency of the delays I use to encounter when riding it people jumping fares evens out imo.

Then they want to charge you $10-12 to ride during rush hours like that was gonna slow people down :smh: Nope.

Having to miss several train carts because they were full and several carts passing by out of service during rush hour was ridiculous, DC got a lot of nerve.

Coming from Cali I really appreciated how well connected the DC metro was to everything but after riding it a few years it aint worth all this. It only makes sense if they've provide better service and new cleaner train carts.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My neighbor was there & saw it go down

That's crazy because it happened before 4pm and usually they have police over there...Police are usually posted up there and Rhode Island between 3pm - and like 7pm....

He must have pulled out the gun quick because usually Metro or DC police would have quickly ran over if it was alot going on or a fight had started....

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's how it's been tho.

When I first got to DC they charge you by the distance you traveled so your balance changed upon exiting the metro station.

I use to catch the metro from greenbelt to shady grove depending on the time of day you go it would cost me $7.

If I didn't have enough to cover upon exit you'd have to reload your card.

Haven't rode the metro in years in DC so it's crazy to see this now.

There were times when I'd slide behind someone else exiting real quick but this is crazy because the amount of people that depend on that metro is critical and I could be wrong but I don't remember any programs to help make metro more affordable.

Especially for the infrequency of the delays I use to encounter when riding it people jumping fares evens out imo.

Then they want to charge you $10-12 to ride during rush hours like that was gonna slow people down :smh: Nope.

Having to miss several train carts because they were full and several carts passing by out of service during rush hour was ridiculous, DC got a lot of nerve.

Coming from Cali I really appreciated how well connected the DC metro was to everything but after riding it a few years it aint worth all this. It only makes sense if they've provide better service and new cleaner train carts.

Yeah some jobs will pay for Metro (the feds usually will pay the full amount) or they have this program that companies can tap into where they take out your metro fees pre-tax, but yeah it has gotten pricey....

PlayerR

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's crazy because it happened before 4pm and usually they have police over there...Police are usually posted up there and Rhode Island between 3pm - and like 7pm....

He must have pulled out the gun quick because usually Metro or DC police would have quickly ran over if it was alot going on or a fight had started....

At times the cops are just standing around talking, in the SUV's talking or in the employee trailer chilling/talking. The Brookland metro has/had one of the highest crime rates of all the stations. I've never had any issues & I used to come home late, but you def have give dudes the look. I remember when my brother & I lived in Deanwood, that joint was wild as hell at times. We had about a 3/4 block walk home & folks used to cut across the field behind Ron Brown Middle school, then they built the new rec center & that football field which added more light. Dude used to try to catch folks slipping & follow them from the metro. Not to long after we moved a group of boys followed another boy up to the platform & shot him.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
At times the cops are just standing around talking, in the SUV's talking or in the employee trailer chilling/talking. The Brookland metro has/had one of the highest crime rates of all the stations. I've never had any issues & I used to come home late, but you def have give dudes the look. I remember when my brother & I lived in Deanwood, that joint was wild as hell at times. We had about a 3/4 block walk home & folks used to cut across the field behind Ron Brown Middle school, then they built the new rec center & that football field which added more light. Dude used to try to catch folks slipping & follow them from the metro. Not to long after we moved a group of boys followed another boy up to the platform & shot him.
Ok. I use to take the bus to Brookland for about a year when I lived in Kaywood Apartmemts in Mt Ranier. Then I discovered I could just drive to the old Safeway or Giant by Shiloh Baptist, park in the parking lot, and walk over to my job. Lol That only last a few years because they tore that grocery store down and built that hotel over there on 9th street.

PlayerR

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ok. I use to take the bus to Brookland for about a year when I lived in Kaywood Apartmemts in Mt Ranier. Then I discovered I could just drive to the old Safeway or Giant by Shiloh Baptist, park in the parking lot, and walk over to my job. Lol That only last a few years because they tore that grocery store down and built that hotel over there on 9th street.

I miss the O St Market, the seafood spot in there used to have great fried fish & shrimp.

Dota

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah some jobs will pay for Metro (the feds usually will pay the full amount) or they have this program that companies can tap into where they take out your metro fees pre-tax, but yeah it has gotten pricey....

You can get a discount metro card if you're a military veteran, student, or senior citizen (I got one for my mom that I use, I had to take her to the senior center for her to sign up for it).

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered

D.C. police opened a new center where officers can monitor crime in real time.

• D.C. police yesterday formally opened the department’s Real-Time Crime Center in Judiciary Square, which officials announced plans for in December during a historic spike in violent crime.
  • What’s next: Mayor Muriel Bowser (D) said officials plan to add hundreds of additional city surveillance cameras and integrate thousands more from private businesses, apartment complexes and homes.

PlayerR

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

D.C. police opened a new center where officers can monitor crime in real time.

• D.C. police yesterday formally opened the department’s Real-Time Crime Center in Judiciary Square, which officials announced plans for in December during a historic spike in violent crime.
  • What’s next: Mayor Muriel Bowser (D) said officials plan to add hundreds of additional city surveillance cameras and integrate thousands more from private businesses, apartment complexes and homes.

What they need is better cameras, when they show the footage it looks like some crap from the 1950's but yet the speed/traffic cames can show your tag & who ever's in the car in the dark crystal clear when you're going 100mph.

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered

Under budget pressure, D.C. public schools may eliminate 200 positions​

• Why? Officials are facing budget pressures including flat revenue for the city and the expiration of millions of dollars in one-time federal pandemic aid.
  • The reductions represent just 2 percent of people who work in schools, but come as families say children need more help recovering from the pandemic.
  • What’s at stake: Most of the losses will be among teachers. The cuts in some of D.C.’s most underserved neighborhoods will be particularly deep, budget data shows.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They never talk about this!

Bro I hate that bike Lane and park gentrification.

A few connected people get them paid for with the rest of our money and then call the cops on us when they feel threatened by our presence using public property.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bro I hate that bike Lane and park gentrification.

A few connected people get them paid for with the rest of our money and then call the cops on us when they feel threatened by our presence using public property.

Hate them with a fucking passion

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

What I don't understand is what's the big deal? The kids going home in like a week and from what I can tell it's all peaceful...

Leave my fucking school alone!

Most of those kids don't come from middle class families, so they need to be careful how they handle this situation....