Time running out to avoid crippling US port strike. UPDATE: Will go back to work Friday.

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
GYsMNTqWMAEJQFp

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor
Listen, I want these people to get more money but at the same time they are not going to stop the automation thing that’s coming and whether they like it or not. I don’t like people losing their jobs and trust me. I was on the other end of this last year but at the same time the automation process is extremely efficient and not as slow as I thought it would be so again it’s just a matter of time.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
that shit can cripple an economy. expecting $4.5 billion in losses per day if and when they strike.....
Is this strike the October surprise for Trump? Analysts are saying that if it goes beyond three weeks, the U.S. could enter a recession.

easy_b

BGOL Investor
Is this strike the October surprise for Trump?
No. A lot of companies ordered extra supplies over the last few months just because of this issue. This is nothing new. And I want these people to get more money but at the same time, they are not going to stop the automation process

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
No. A lot of companies ordered extra supplies over the last few months just because of this issue. This is nothing new. And I want these people to get more money but at the same time, they are not going to stop the automation process
The last strike on the west coast lasted 11 days, and it took six months for them to recover. If this strike goes beyond three weeks, we’re headed for a recession, and I think that favors Donald John in the election.

Last edited:

easy_b

BGOL Investor
The last strike on the west coast lasted 11 days, and it took six months for them to recover. If this strike goes beyond three weeks, we’re headed for a recession, and I think that favors Donald John in the election.
No, a lot of companies order extra supplies because this day could have been coming so we are not in trouble until some point next year

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
Hopefully this is true and they come to terms and quick.

Honestly feel the workers should be getting paid their worth anyway. Greedy ass corporations need to take thier hands off the scales at this point.

Longshoremen have ridiculously good benefits and inflated salaries. The threat of strike is so significant that ports now down to whatever they demand. They are currently asking for an 70% raise. Automation is much safer, much cheaper, and used in other ports. On the West Coast, the longshoremen Union agreed to partial automation in exchange for a significant raise. When they saw automation taking jobs, they went back on their agreement and threatened a strike. They contributed heavily to Biden and trying to get this strike settled before he leaves office because Trump isn’t an ally to them.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
So, I was talking to my manager about this yesterday, and he goes, "Ah, we'll be fine.", and I said, "Motherfucker, are you serious?!", and he was like :eek2:. We get most of our components from Asia, which comes through the west coast, but a lot of our orders are shipped to Europe, which goes through the strike affected docks. He said, "Well, we could just reroute stuff though the west coast." When I mentioned that that could end up causing delays due to the extra cargo overburdening the west coast dock workers, because we're not the only company that will be toying with that idea, and plus, it'll be expensive. I got a blank stare. This is what happens when you hire a guy with a business admin degree to be a supply chain manager. Outside of being a muso and working AP/AR, I've also done logistics and shipping for over 20 years, but Andy from "Toy Story" seems to think he knows every Goddamn thing! Started a dialogue with our CEO this morning, and he seems to share my concerns.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I don't think they will fold on the automation.
And these mufuckas want a 50% salary increase as well.
Something gotta give. I wonder who is gonna bend first?
No diddy......

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
Again, a lot of companies had ordered extra supplies over the last few months so we are not going to see any issues if the strike is still going until next year
Not all. Some companies wanted to keep inventory costs under control, so they wanted to stay below a certain number when it came to inventory.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
These fuckers make $200k per year and want a 70% raise?

Well the price of everything will go up if they get what they want.
These companies are making record profits cause lots of humans have become lazy ass consumers that sit on their ass and order shit all day.. how do you think all that shit makes it to your front door or mailbox.. they are in the biz that deals with getting all those items and moving it, which means the workload has increase and yet their salary hasn’t.. they also are a necessity to everyday life which means their importance plays a big factor in negotiation.. pocket watching should not be an employee/ consumer thing to a fellow employee/consumer.. you should always want people to get their money.. people was pocket watching and hating on fast food workers and yet cause of them asking increase salaries went up across the board in america.. see what happens when you let others get their money it can benefit you in the long run

nawlinsn931

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What does this do to job market and economy? Or is this a presidential election type thing? Asking because I’m completely unknowing about this issue

Blkops

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ports have become even more automated.

Prices of imports would reduce and port safety would increase if we automate.

Automation needs to be balanced with a real workforce back up becuase one line of bad code puts us back to the stoneage. A certain percentage of guaranteed human jobs along with graduated caps on Automation would provide for efficiency and security without sacrificing both.