Time running out to avoid crippling US port strike

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
These companies are making record profits cause lots of humans have become lazy ass consumers that sit on their ass and order shit all day.. how do you think all that shit makes it to your front door or mailbox.. they are in the biz that deals with getting all those items and moving it, which means the workload has increase and yet their salary hasn’t.. they also are a necessity to everyday life which means their importance plays a big factor in negotiation.. pocket watching should not be an employee/ consumer thing to a fellow employee/consumer.. you should always want people to get their money.. people was pocket watching and hating on fast food workers and yet cause of them asking increase salaries went up across the board in america.. see what happens when you let others get their money it can benefit you in the long run

Longshoremen have consistently been getting raises. The West Coast Longshoremen got at 32% raise over 6 years and a bonus last year. https://www.gcca.org/government-news/ilwu-and-pma-sign-new-6-year-contract/

Keep in mind that they get paid for 8 hours of work while actually working 4 hours.

Prior to that contract, they received an extension which gave ridiculous raises. Here on the West Coast, longshoremen make well over 250k and receive lifetime medical. The job is based on nepotism and a lot of them are racist as hell too.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Longshoremen have consistently been getting raises. The West Coast Longshoremen got at 32% raise over 6 years and a bonus last year. https://www.gcca.org/government-news/ilwu-and-pma-sign-new-6-year-contract/

Keep in mind that they get paid for 8 hours of work while actually working 4 hours.

Prior to that contract, they received an extension which gave ridiculous raises. Here on the West Coast, longshoremen make well over 250k and receive lifetime medical. The job is based on nepotism and a lot of them are racist as hell too.
It’s the east turn for a raise

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
These guys want to ban automated equipment, I get that they are protecting their jobs but they also want to stop innovation.

They say they deserve the money because of the danger of their jobs but refuse to embrace automation which would make their jobs safer. The truth is that automation creates jobs. Their concern is that the jobs created by automation will involve different skills than they have. Most Longshoreman jobs are low skill but they have so many barriers that they control who is qualified to do the work. They have turned down millions to avoid drug testing and many of them will have a hard time finding new jobs. I am usually for labor, but this and the UAW strike are BS. Enough is enough.

Gods_Debris

Rising Star
Registered
They say they deserve the money because of the danger of their jobs but refuse to embrace automation which would make their jobs safer. The truth is that automation creates jobs. Their concern is that the jobs created by automation will involve different skills than they have. Most Longshoreman jobs are low skill but they have so many barriers that they control who is qualified to do the work. They have turned down millions to avoid drug testing and many of them will have a hard time finding new jobs. I am usually for labor, but this and the UAW strike are BS. Enough is enoenough
Nah I think we need to see those balance sheets. These corporations are abusing technologies to squeeze more bread for upper management and do nothing "investors". In that, I wholeheartedly agree with them. The excess revenue is being generated they are just hoarding the wealth.

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
It’s the east turn for a raise
The East Coast(ILA) last contract was the best contract in history. It ran from 2018-2024. It provided raises and prevented any automation. So no automation at ports since 2018 because they didn't want it. Now that their best contract in history has ended on October 1. At midnight they strike for another 30% raise and no automation for the next 6 years. In the last 6 years, more than a dozen Longshoremen have died at work. Some due to drugs, alcohol, and mistakes. Automation would have prevented some of these deaths. In addition, Longshoremen have negotiated to get paid by the job rather than the actual hours they work. So they get paid for 8 hours even though they actually work 3-4 hours on the job.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
Nah I think we need to see those balance sheets. These corporations are abusing technologies to squeeze more bread for upper management and do nothing "investors". In that, I wholeheartedly agree with them. The excess revenue is being generated they are just hoarding the wealth.
That too but these guys are fighting for jobs that either wont exist or only require a handful of people in the future.

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor

The primary goal of a company is to make profits. Longshoremen are very expensive and lazy. They have negotiated multiple breaks, getting paid for the job rather than hourly, lifetime medical care, and a pension. Automation would definitely increase profits. I'm not sure where the additional revenue would go, but a large part would go to taxes and consumers might save money on all products. Automation for definitely save lives. Longshoremen have refused to allow drug testing and are often drunk and high at the Ports. Numerous deaths have occured at the Ports because of Longshoreman mistakes.

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
That too but these guys are fighting for jobs that either wont exist or only require a handful of people in the future.

"Cars to deliver mail? Over our dead bodies!"

r0_0_800_600_w800_h600_fmax.jpg
Its like Horse and Buggy mailmen going on strike because they want to use cars.

Last edited:

dade305

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So, I was talking to my manager about this yesterday, and he goes, "Ah, we'll be fine.", and I said, "Motherfucker, are you serious?!", and he was like :eek2:. We get most of our components from Asia, which comes through the west coast, but a lot of our orders are shipped to Europe, which goes through the strike affected docks. He said, "Well, we could just reroute stuff though the west coast." When I mentioned that that could end up causing delays due to the extra cargo overburdening the west coast dock workers, because we're not the only company that will be toying with that idea, and plus, it'll be expensive. I got a blank stare. This is what happens when you hire a guy with a business admin degree to be a supply chain manager. Outside of being a muso and working AP/AR, I've also done logistics and shipping for over 20 years, but Andy from "Toy Story" seems to think he knows every Goddamn thing! Started a dialogue with our CEO this morning, and he seems to share my concerns.
Andy should be fired

Gods_Debris

Rising Star
Registered
The primary goal of a company is to make profits. Longshoremen are very expensive and lazy. They have negotiated multiple breaks, getting paid for the job rather than hourly, lifetime medical care, and a pension. Automation would definitely increase profits. I'm not sure where the additional revenue would go, but a large part would go to taxes and consumers might save money on all products. Automation for definitely save lives. Longshoremen have refused to allow drug testing and are often drunk and high at the Ports. Numerous deaths have occured at the Ports because of Longshoreman mistakes.
:hmm:. To all of this. Are you reading from a PR script? If it is let me tell you it's not a good one. Why are you are playing games cousin? Paying your workforce is a cost of doing business too if you want to play it like that. The primary goal of an employee is to make profit then, or is there supposed to be some kind of altruism from for the workforce that only goes in one direction?

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
These companies are making record profits cause lots of humans have become lazy ass consumers that sit on their ass and order shit all day.. how do you think all that shit makes it to your front door or mailbox.. they are in the biz that deals with getting all those items and moving it, which means the workload has increase and yet their salary hasn’t.. they also are a necessity to everyday life which means their importance plays a big factor in negotiation.. pocket watching should not be an employee/ consumer thing to a fellow employee/consumer.. you should always want people to get their money.. people was pocket watching and hating on fast food workers and yet cause of them asking increase salaries went up across the board in america.. see what happens when you let others get their money it can benefit you in the long run
No this will lead to hyper inflation.
You never share in profits of your employer.
Don't work like that.
What company is making record profits?
Every business is closing down and laying people off.

Gods_Debris

Rising Star
Registered
No this will lead to hyper inflation.
You never share in profits of your employer.
Don't work like that.
What company is making record profits?
Every business is closing down and laying people off.
Lmao, and why is that? What barrier, save the lack of accountability and desire to make good, is preventing those corporations from sharing their profits with their employees? You're a good little lap dog, though, because you are a repeating a refrain without even knowing why you're repeating it. Where, pray tell, do you think that phrase even comes from?

Instead of being a professional conard you could, alternatively, be more informed.

The idea that corporations don't share profits with employees can be traced back to the rise of neoliberal capitalism, a fundamentalistic ideology that prioritizes shareholders over employees. Some say that Milton Friedman is responsible for this idea, which was then supported by Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
They say they deserve the money because of the danger of their jobs but refuse to embrace automation which would make their jobs safer. The truth is that automation creates jobs. Their concern is that the jobs created by automation will involve different skills than they have. Most Longshoreman jobs are low skill but they have so many barriers that they control who is qualified to do the work. They have turned down millions to avoid drug testing and many of them will have a hard time finding new jobs. I am usually for labor, but this and the UAW strike are BS. Enough is enough.

Not much new jobs created when robots are doing all the work.

They have already started testing them in LA and Long Beach, CA.

^SpiderMan^

Mackin Arachnid
BGOL Investor
:hmm:. To all of this. Are you reading from a PR script? If it is let me tell you it's not a good one. Why are you are playing games cousin? Paying your workforce is a cost of doing business too if you want to play it like that. The primary goal of an employee is to make profit then, or is there supposed to be some kind of altruism from for the workforce that only goes in one direction?
You misunderstood what I was saying.

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor
Not much new jobs created when robots are doing all the work.

They have already started testing them in LA and Long Beach, CA.

Again, this is a mixed bag because I feel sorry for people who lose their jobs because of automation but at the same time we need to move into the 21st-century. Please get your children to go into coding and electronics/computers because they going to need a ton of those people in the near future.

Gods_Debris

Rising Star
Registered
Again, this is a mixed bag because I feel sorry for people who lose their jobs because of automation but at the same time we need to move into the 21st-century. Please get your children to go into coding and electronics/computers because they going to need a ton of those people in the near future.
But they won't because AI will and have already begun to write code itself. Fewer and fewer people will be left in IT as the revolution progresses.

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor
But they won't because AI will and have already begun to write code itself. Fewer and fewer people will be left in IT as the revolution progresses.
This is the thing I am fighting with. I’m not disagreeing with you because that is happening but at the same time like I said we as the human race need to step into the 21st-century because the United States economy, no let me correct myself…. The industrialized nations economy is still based off of something from 200 years ago. We have to make that change because we can’t continue going down the same road. Again I understand jobs and taking care of your family. Hey, I got laid off last year so I feel their pain but at the same time also see the future.