TV Discussion: David Oyelowo to Star in Bass Reeves Series w/ Dennis Quaid on Paramount+

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
David Oyelowo Takes on the Wild West in the First Images for 'Yellowstone' Spin-Off 'Lawmen: Bass Reeves'

Dennis Quaid, Barry Pepper, Lauren E. Banks, and Garrett Hedlund will also star in the prequel

BY BRITTA DEVORE
August 8, 2023

who-was-bass-reeves-1883-the-bass-reeves-story-explained-1024x615.png

l-intro-1655987053.jpeg

1883-bass-reeves-story-release-date.jpg

Everything-to-Know-About-Yellowstones-Spinoff-Series-%E2%80%981883-The-Bass-Reeves-Story-130.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I am glad the movie was made, but they chose the wrong actor. Oyelowo is just not that great of an actor :smh:

Ok full disclosure

I am NOT saying he is a bad actor

I'm saying he is NOT who I envisioned fir this role.

And it is INCREDIBLY surprising because one Sheridan favor actors who he uses frequently is a PERFECT casting...

licensed-image

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
‘Lawmen: Bass Reeves’ Sets Premiere Date at Paramount+, Western Series From David Oyelowo & Taylor Sheridan Drops First Trailer

By Joe Otterson
September 7, 2023

Paramount+ has set the premiere date for the epic Western series “Lawmen: Bass Reeves.”

The series, which stars David Oyelowo as Reeves and boasts Taylor Sheridan among its executive producers, will debut with its first two episodes on Nov. 5 in all Paramount+ markets. The show has also revealed its first trailer, which can be seen below.

The officiall description of the series states that it “follows the journey of Reeves (Oyelowo) and his rise from enslavement to law enforcement as the first Black U.S. Marshal west of the Mississippi. Despite arresting over 3,000 outlaws during the course of his career, the weight of the badge was heavy, and he wrestled with its moral and spiritual cost to his beloved family.”

The cast of the series also includes Lauren E. Banks, Demi Singleton, Forrest Goodluck, Barry Pepper, Donald Sutherland, Dennis Quaid, Shea Whigham, Garrett Hedlund, Joaquina Kalukango, Lonnie Chavis, Grantham Coleman, Tosin Morohunfola, Dale Dickey, Rob Morgan, Ryan O’Nan, Margot Bingham, Mo Brings Plenty, Justin Hurtt-Dunkley, and Bill Dawes.

It was announced in April that the show had shifted to an anthology format, meaning that any potential future seasons will follow other iconic lawmen besides Reeves.

Chad Feehan is the creator, executive producer, and showrunner. David and Jessica Oyelowo executive produce under their Yoruba Saxon banner. Taylor Sheridan executive produces via Bosque Ranch Producitons. David C. Glasser, David Permut, Ron Burkle, Bob Yari and David Hutkin also executive produce. Christina Alexandra Voros will executive produce and direct five episodes. The series is produced by MTV Entertainment Studios, 101 Studios, Bosque Ranch Productions, and Yoruba Saxon.

Lawmen: Bass Reeves
Official Teaser Trailer
Debuts November 5, 2023

BlackRob

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So there really was a Bass Reeves.
I see the trailer, even this thread and figure.
Not a bad story, i'll check it out
But, you can't be a Black man doing all this in the 1870s

Well i didn't know.
I mean I knew there were Black cowboys.
But, an officer of the law back then...

Last edited:

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
So there really was a Bass Reeves.
I see the trailer, even this thread and figure.
Not a bad story, i'll check it out
But, you can't a Black man doing all this in the 1870s
Turns out..

Well i didn't know.
I mean I know there were Black cowboys.
But, an officer of the law back then...

From what I read, he is the real story behind the Lone Ranger stories in history. They white washed it and made it seem like a white man did all that.

Aside from that, watched the two episodes tonight. So far it's cool.

And as far as a black man during the times, I guess the writer did this in the continuation of 1883.
I read this was to be the first story from the spinoffs of Yellowstone but networks didn't want it. So they dropped 1883 first. Then was gonna make this the second season and decided to just make it a separate series.

Also saw maybe a month ago, another Bass Reeves, but was a movie with Isiah Washington playing the lead. Was low budget but done pretty good. I think he produced it.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
From what I read, he is the real story behind the Lone Ranger stories in history. They white washed it and made it seem like a white man did all that.

Aside from that, watched the two episodes tonight. So far it's cool.

And as far as a black man during the times, I guess the writer did this in the continuation of 1883.
I read this was to be the first story from the spinoffs of Yellowstone but networks didn't want it. So they dropped 1883 first. Then was gonna make this the second season and decided to just make it a separate series.

Also saw maybe a month ago, another Bass Reeves, but was a movie with Isiah Washington playing the lead. Was low budget but done pretty good. I think he produced it.

^^^^

Yup