Rising Star
BGOL Legend

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yes, That Was Paris Jackson in Swarm
By Jennifer Zhan, a Vulture news blogger covering TV, movies and music
Photo: Prime Video/YouTube
Oh, there’s layers to this casting. Swarm dropped today on Amazon Prime Video, and the internet is buzzing over a scene where a stripper named Hailey describes herself as Black and explains, “My dad’s half.” The show’s main character, Dre — hearing this information but not seeing it — asks incredulously, “Half what? Black?” “Yeah,” Hailey replies. “That’s why my stage name’s Halsey.” As it turns out, Hailey is played by none other than Paris Jackson … yes, as in the daughter of Michael Jackson. We just know show creators Donald Glover and Janine Nabers patted themselves on the backs for this.

Throughout her life, people have questioned whether Paris was actually related to the King of Pop, due in part to her physical appearance (she has maintained that he is her biological father). Paris, whose mother is white, has acknowledged that strangers usually believe she is white. But she told the Straits Times in 2017 that she personally considers herself to be Black. “[My dad] would look me in the eyes and he’d point his finger at me and he’d be like, ‘You’re Black. Be proud of your roots.’ And I’d be like, ‘Okay, he’s my dad, why would he lie to me?’” she said. Halsey, who also has a white mother and a Black father, previously told Playboy in 2017 that she is “white-passing,” noting, “I look like a white girl, but I don’t feel like one. I’m a Black woman.”
All in all, it’s no wonder that Paris name-dropping this particular singer has made quite the impact online. “the fact that that’s PARIS ,” one Twitter user wrote after watching the scene. “they wrote her lines soon as they saw her.” Paris herself replied that it was actually the “other way around lol,” so it seems like she was very much on board with being Swarm’s Hailey/Halsey.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Swarm recreates viral moment where Tiffany Haddish said someone bit Beyoncé

There's even a Sanaa Lathan reference.

By Nick RomanoMarch 17, 2023 at 05:21 PM EDT

Swarm, the horror-thriller series from Donald Glover and Janine Nabers, premiered Friday, bringing with it several allusions to Beyoncé Knowles Carter. The series uses the Beyhive as inspiration to gruesomely satirize the darker side of fandom. One reference many are already talking about is the "Who bit Beyoncé?" firestorm that ignited in 2018.
Here's the backstory on the moment that consumed the zeitgeist at that time (not unlike how someone attempted to devour the multi-Grammy winner). It begins with a 2018 GQ profile of actress and comedian Tiffany Haddish. In the interview, she mentions attending a party with Beyoncé and Jay-Z. During said party, she says another actress was touching Jay-Z's chest, which rubbed Beyoncé the wrong way.

"There was this actress there that's just, like, doing the mostest. She bit Beyoncé in the face," Haddish revealed to the magazine. "So Beyoncé stormed away, went up to JAY-Z, and was like, 'Jay! Come here! This b----' and snatched him. They went to the back of the room. I was like, 'What just happened?' And Beyoncé's friend walked up and was like, 'Can you believe this b---- just bit Beyoncé?'"
Love & Basketball and The Best Man star Sanaa Lathan was on the suspect list as fans launched a full-scale investigation from afar.

The 'who bit Beyonce?' drama comes back to the spotlight in 'Swarm'

| CREDIT: AMAZON STUDIOS; KEVIN MAZUR/GETTY
Swarm has a lot of fun with this moment. Dominique Fishback headlines the Amazon series as Dre, a diehard devotee of a singer named Ni'Jah, the story's Beyoncé equivalent. She's so consumed with her love of the R&B star that — spoiler alert (though not surprising) — she will literally track down and kill anyone who would go so far as to tweet something bad about the icon.

In episode 3 of the limited series, this obsession leads Dre to breaking into the home of a man who works at a festival Ni'Jah will be attending. She plays it off like she's trying to escape an abusive boyfriend and then uses the guy to gain access to the festival's afterparty.
Hunger is a repeating motif throughout the series. Dre is often ravenous after committing a kill, and food is also involved with these dreamlike sequences in which she loses herself. Such a moment comes at this party when Dre spots Ni'Jah. The viewer sees Dre digging into the bounty of hors d'oeuvres presented before her, but in reality she's biting Ni'Jah.
Dre flees in horror at what she's done, while the shocked crowd at the party try to figure out what the heck just happened. She busts out a backdoor and flees down the street. One of the two dazed staffers smoking out back remarks as she rushes by, "You know who that was? The chick from Love & Basketball."
Mystery solved.
Swarm is now streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

tajshan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Glover is talented. The whole Atlanta show being a simulation thing was a curve ball I didn't see coming.
Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait,

:eek2::eek2::eek2:
Are you fucking SERIOUS? You mean all those seasons before? was just a simulation?!?!?

Piff Henderson

Stage Manager of Stage Managers
BGOL Investor

Swarm recreates viral moment where Tiffany Haddish said someone bit Beyoncé

There's even a Sanaa Lathan reference.

By Nick RomanoMarch 17, 2023 at 05:21 PM EDT

Swarm, the horror-thriller series from Donald Glover and Janine Nabers, premiered Friday, bringing with it several allusions to Beyoncé Knowles Carter. The series uses the Beyhive as inspiration to gruesomely satirize the darker side of fandom. One reference many are already talking about is the "Who bit Beyoncé?" firestorm that ignited in 2018.
Here's the backstory on the moment that consumed the zeitgeist at that time (not unlike how someone attempted to devour the multi-Grammy winner). It begins with a 2018 GQ profile of actress and comedian Tiffany Haddish. In the interview, she mentions attending a party with Beyoncé and Jay-Z. During said party, she says another actress was touching Jay-Z's chest, which rubbed Beyoncé the wrong way.

"There was this actress there that's just, like, doing the mostest. She bit Beyoncé in the face," Haddish revealed to the magazine. "So Beyoncé stormed away, went up to JAY-Z, and was like, 'Jay! Come here! This b----' and snatched him. They went to the back of the room. I was like, 'What just happened?' And Beyoncé's friend walked up and was like, 'Can you believe this b---- just bit Beyoncé?'"
Love & Basketball and The Best Man star Sanaa Lathan was on the suspect list as fans launched a full-scale investigation from afar.

The 'who bit Beyonce?' drama comes back to the spotlight in 'Swarm'

| CREDIT: AMAZON STUDIOS; KEVIN MAZUR/GETTY
Swarm has a lot of fun with this moment. Dominique Fishback headlines the Amazon series as Dre, a diehard devotee of a singer named Ni'Jah, the story's Beyoncé equivalent. She's so consumed with her love of the R&B star that — spoiler alert (though not surprising) — she will literally track down and kill anyone who would go so far as to tweet something bad about the icon.

In episode 3 of the limited series, this obsession leads Dre to breaking into the home of a man who works at a festival Ni'Jah will be attending. She plays it off like she's trying to escape an abusive boyfriend and then uses the guy to gain access to the festival's afterparty.
Hunger is a repeating motif throughout the series. Dre is often ravenous after committing a kill, and food is also involved with these dreamlike sequences in which she loses herself. Such a moment comes at this party when Dre spots Ni'Jah. The viewer sees Dre digging into the bounty of hors d'oeuvres presented before her, but in reality she's biting Ni'Jah.
Dre flees in horror at what she's done, while the shocked crowd at the party try to figure out what the heck just happened. She busts out a backdoor and flees down the street. One of the two dazed staffers smoking out back remarks as she rushes by, "You know who that was? The chick from Love & Basketball."
Mystery solved.
Swarm is now streaming on Amazon Prime Video.
Well, thanks to Deacon Frost, Sanaa Lathan is a vampire.

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I saw the promo screencap about a week ago and wasnt sure what this show was about so I didnt have any urgency to watch it..
wife and I started watching yesterday..we're on episode 3 now..this shit's dark and hilarious AF at the same time.
The cameos are great, chloe bailey is thick AF,, Paris Jackson comparing herself to Halsey cracked me up, Poot from the Wire making an appearance, I'll be back once we finish the series

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Watching the pilot now.

Daking is right.

Bailey is looking great. And Fishback’s a good actress ...

^^^^

these award shows better be careful

cause if SHE is bot properly recognized?

Woo boy

sidebar...

Bro how do FEEL about award shows?

Do like them?

Do the awards hold ANY value to YOU personally?

Are some more "legit" as opposed to others"

Why are "black" awards not as valuable at least it SEEMS like that.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I saw the promo screencap about a week ago and wasnt sure what this show was about so I didnt have any urgency to watch it..
wife and I started watching yesterday..we're on episode 3 now..this shit's dark and hilarious AF at the same time.
The cameos are great, chloe bailey is thick AF,, Paris Jackson comparing herself to Halsey cracked me up, Poot from the Wire making an appearance, I'll be back once we finish the series

Just finishing episode 2 now.

Interesting seeing Paris Jackson ... hadn’t seen her acting prior.

That was eery (good score / soundtrack) hearing the “I’ll Kill You” song from Chloe Bailey at the end of ep 1.

Looks like a wild role for Fishback thus far. Considering she is shy and reserved when we’re first introduced to her.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
^^^^

these award shows better be careful

cause if SHE is bot properly recognized?

Woo boy

sidebar...

Bro how do FEEL about award shows?

Do like them?

Do the awards hold ANY value to YOU personally?

Are some more "legit" as opposed to others"

Why are "black" awards not as valuable at least it SEEMS like that.

Good to see Fishback get a starring role on a big platform like Prime. She was a good, reliable recurring main character on The Deuce.

As for award shows ... all I want to see is people getting recognized for their work. When you scroll Wiki or IMDB and see shows or movies have stacked up the accolades / nominations. As long as they’re deserving ... but we know there’s plenty of BS in showbiz, so some award winners hit different than others.