TV News: Donald Glover new show Swarm - is like 'a sister to Atlanta'

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
Why your girl in episode 7

Look like your boy from the Show 'Your Honor'. Eugene Jones said he wanted to go back to Houston...

eugene-jones-your-honor-s2e10.jpg

YoungSinister

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No, I meant I'm not particularly a fan of that style of writing. 6 and 7 don't necessarily cover all of the questions in some ways create more.
]

For instance, why does the father dislike like Dre? It's explained why they sent Dre back but nothing happened to Melissa at that point. Unless you don't believe her death was because of suicide which I don't think was said by the father. Given that they are aware of Dre's violent nature, it's understandable but I don't think that was said. It's not even clear that they were necessarily aware Dre was the roommate. The mother states her daughter asked for money for rent and she assumed it was for her roommate, but I can't recall if the detective had mentioned Dre yet. The other thing that seems off is that the mother said she'd only meet the boyfriend once by chance in the mall, but I thought they had been dating for awhile. This comes off like they aren't very close for some reason. They mention Dre being gay and the dad not liking it but that doesn't explain wanting to kill Dre.

The other thing that becomes questionable is Melissa's death. Everything seems to line up with it being a suicide until episode 7. We see the cut on Melissa's wrist which makes us believe she killed herself. However, Dre kissed the scar and is told she doesn't have to do that. Again, no one seems to be aware of Melissa self harming that I remember. The question becomes was the white girl the only one hurt that night which is the real reason they sent her back and that the reason the father blames Dre.[/SPOILER
All of these questions were answered
In regard to Marissa’s death, the lady who wrote the show said that Marissa killed herself

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
All of these questions were answered
In regard to Marissa’s death, the lady who wrote the show said that Marissa killed herself

If they were all answered, give the answers or your thoughts.

Part of the reason for the father not to care about Dre is made clear but not necessarily the hate or holding Dre responsible. It could have been as simple as the sexual orientation, but typically that is used with a highly religious person and i don't recall them playing the father that way. If the why of the suicide is on the net, its even more reason the father shouldn't be angry at Dre. The mother came off as regretful about Dre which some people may have misinterpreted, but I get it.

Was that a direct quote or are you basing that on the fact the writers have stated the show is based on real life events including the suicide rumor?

YoungSinister

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
If they were all answered, give the answers or your thoughts.

Part of the reason for the father not to care about Dre is made clear but not necessarily the hate or holding Dre responsible. It could have been as simple as the sexual orientation, but typically that is used with a highly religious person and i don't recall them playing the father that way. If the why of the suicide is on the net, its even more reason the father shouldn't be angry at Dre. The mother came off as regretful about Dre which some people may have misinterpreted, but I get it.

Was that a direct quote or are you basing that on the fact the writers have stated the show is based on real life events including the suicide rumor?
I actually typed up a response, but the answers were in the episodes he said didn't have answers. I honestly got frustrated
Her commiting suicide is a direct quote, because people couldn't put 2 and 2 together that Marissa commuted suicide. That wasn't blood on her pillow

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I actually typed up a response, but the answers were in the episodes he said didn't have answers. I honestly got frustrated
Her commiting suicide is a direct quote, because people couldn't put 2 and 2 together that Marissa commuted suicide. That wasn't blood on her pillow

Do you have the source for the quote? From what I've read, I didn't get the impression people didn't originally believe she killed herself.
after her death, they show the post of people talking about killing herself and why it happened. The wound was supposed to be another indication of self harm in the past. It leads into car repair guy getting tracked down and Dre being a stripper for revenge. Marissa’s death is based off a made up rumor of a fan doing the same thing. If you take episode 1 and 2 at face value, it's clear suicide is the cause of Marissa's death. I think even episode 6 mentioned suicide too.

The theory that Marissa didn't kill herself came from Dre killing Rashida, the parents attitude towards Dre and the idea that Dre going out in episode 1 doesn't add up personality wise. Considering the song was the trigger for Dre going to the club i don't agree with that. Normally, Dre uses objects to kill but not with Rashida. Rashida and Marissa were also similar in that they were both upset with Dre and didn't see Nijah in the same light as her ( Marissa choosing her boyfriend over the show and Rashida not liking her at all). When Marissa's body is found it doesn't appear to have blunt trauma either. Then the father said Dre killed her as if they have knowledge that is not disclosed to the audience. When the mother is asked if she believes Dre can be a killer, she doesn't answer but later says she should have done more for Dre. Even the wound that we assume was self inflicted by Marissa comes into question when Dre kissed the wound and is told she doesn't have to do that. In terms of the theory its believed Dre did inflict the wound and it was her way of saying sorry. Its thought that this happened during the stabbing of the white girl and Marissa was inadvertently hurt trying to stop Dre.dre was mainly there for a check, but outside of causing more financial issues she is potentially hated and sent away for harming their living child. They already had lost a son. We aren't given history of Dre before the foster family or after she leaves them. We don't even know how Dre and Marissa stayed in contact or when they met back up. The parents were not aware they were roommates either until after Marissa's death. Although Marissa is said to be a good kid, we know she snuck out to go to a concert so maybe Dre is considered a bad influence. It's also stated that the father didn't like how close the two girls were. Rashida's death also shows Dre is capable of killing someone she cares about.

tajshan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Do you have the source for the quote? From what I've read, I didn't get the impression people didn't originally believe she killed herself.
after her death, they show the post of people talking about killing herself and why it happened. The wound was supposed to be another indication of self harm in the past. It leads into car repair guy getting tracked down and Dre being a stripper for revenge. Marissa’s death is based off a made up rumor of a fan doing the same thing. If you take episode 1 and 2 at face value, it's clear suicide is the cause of Marissa's death. I think even episode 6 mentioned suicide too.

The theory that Marissa didn't kill herself came from Dre killing Rashida, the parents attitude towards Dre and the idea that Dre going out in episode 1 doesn't add up personality wise. Considering the song was the trigger for Dre going to the club i don't agree with that. Normally, Dre uses objects to kill but not with Rashida. Rashida and Marissa were also similar in that they were both upset with Dre and didn't see Nijah in the same light as her ( Marissa choosing her boyfriend over the show and Rashida not liking her at all). When Marissa's body is found it doesn't appear to have blunt trauma either. Then the father said Dre killed her as if they have knowledge that is not disclosed to the audience. When the mother is asked if she believes Dre can be a killer, she doesn't answer but later says she should have done more for Dre. Even the wound that we assume was self inflicted by Marissa comes into question when Dre kissed the wound and is told she doesn't have to do that. In terms of the theory its believed Dre did inflict the wound and it was her way of saying sorry. Its thought that this happened during the stabbing of the white girl and Marissa was inadvertently hurt trying to stop Dre.dre was mainly there for a check, but outside of causing more financial issues she is potentially hated and sent away for harming their living child. They already had lost a son. We aren't given history of Dre before the foster family or after she leaves them. We don't even know how Dre and Marissa stayed in contact or when they met back up. The parents were not aware they were roommates either until after Marissa's death. Although Marissa is said to be a good kid, we know she snuck out to go to a concert so maybe Dre is considered a bad influence. It's also stated that the father didn't like how close the two girls were. Rashida's death also shows Dre is capable of killing someone she cares about.
Yeah, they mention it being suicide but at first I had suspected Dre in the beginning.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

thumb3_chloe_bailey_132a70.jpg

blackman80

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

thumb3_chloe_bailey_132a70.jpg

Yep, I see her doing more nudity and sex scenes soon!!..This bitch love the attention that she's getting now for doing this!!...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster

i dont think it was that complicated and the show said it all
there wasnt much subtext

Marissa killed herself and had a history of self-harm
Marissa dad never liked Dre and just used her as a check when times were tough, she was treated like the red-headed step child and couldnt particpate in the sleepover. But of course with undiagnosed mental issues OD'ed when she saw her sis being 'attacked'
Marissa reached out to Dre when she found out Khalid was cheating but her phone was off. Perhaps this one tidbit was the reason why the dad blamed Dre. But more than likely he never liked her and used her as a scapegoat. Ppl in pain tend to misplace their anger especially if there is an easy target (it happened with my dad family when he passed)

i really enjoyed the show and it was tour de force for Dominique Fishback. She acted her ass off
as many have mentioned the show was basically the bastard sister of Atl season 3

it delve into toxic fan culture
undiagnosed mental illness
right wing and left wing messaging
white privelage
cults
class issues
kids getting lost in the system
selective blackness

and the show at times was geniuely funny
but it was WEIRD AS FUCK and definately not for everyone

Last edited:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Swarm isn’t a love letter to Black women. It’s hate mail.

Swarm — with its two-dimensional main character, storyline cluttered with misogynistic and racist tropes, and dubious conclusions about Black women fandoms — is perhaps the show that, for me, solidified the opinion my college friend expressed a decade ago. Glover’s hostility toward Black women no longer feels like an allegation. Because his work is so obvious, it serves as the archive of this aggression. Glover all but confirmed these concerns when he told Vulture that he had given Fishback very little direction or insight into Dre (she confirmed this in the same article), telling her, “You don’t have to find the humanity in your character. That’s the audience’s job ... Think of it more like an animal and less like a person.”

Referring to a human being as an “it” or an animal is almost always a red flag that points to an individual’s deeper feelings, and it doesn’t feel like a coincidence that Glover, who has continuously been criticized for dehumanizing portrayals of Black women, would quite literally hinder an actor’s ability to find the humanity in a Black woman character.

Not only did Glover relate Dre to an animal, but he specified which one, after dismissing the character of Dre as not “that layered.” He said, “I wanted her performance to be brutal. It’s a raw thing. It reminds me of how I have a fear with dogs because I’m like, ‘You’re not looking at me in the eye, I don’t know what you’re capable of.’” With these damning quotes, Glover’s misogynoir is no longer subtext. It’s canon.

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Swarm — with its two-dimensional main character, storyline cluttered with misogynistic and racist tropes, and dubious conclusions about Black women fandoms — is perhaps the show that, for me, solidified the opinion my college friend expressed a decade ago. Glover’s hostility toward Black women no longer feels like an allegation. Because his work is so obvious, it serves as the archive of this aggression. Glover all but confirmed these concerns when he told Vulture that he had given Fishback very little direction or insight into Dre (she confirmed this in the same article), telling her, “You don’t have to find the humanity in your character. That’s the audience’s job ... Think of it more like an animal and less like a person.”

Referring to a human being as an “it” or an animal is almost always a red flag that points to an individual’s deeper feelings, and it doesn’t feel like a coincidence that Glover, who has continuously been criticized for dehumanizing portrayals of Black women, would quite literally hinder an actor’s ability to find the humanity in a Black woman character.

Not only did Glover relate Dre to an animal, but he specified which one, after dismissing the character of Dre as not “that layered.” He said, “I wanted her performance to be brutal. It’s a raw thing. It reminds me of how I have a fear with dogs because I’m like, ‘You’re not looking at me in the eye, I don’t know what you’re capable of.’” With these damning quotes, Glover’s misogynoir is no longer subtext. It’s canon.

Sounds like respectability politics at work..........

DJCandle

BGOL Investor

Writer of this article read way into this unnecessarily. It wasn’t THAT deep. It was a good series depicting fan culture and it’s potential extremes.It was the visual breakdown and step up from Eminem’s Stan.

No more no less.

To suggest it was anything more than that comes off as projection to me.

guyver

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Writer of this article read way into this unnecessarily. It wasn’t THAT deep. It was a good series depicting fan culture and it’s potential extremes.It was the visual breakdown and step up from Eminem’s Stan.

No more no less.

To suggest it was anything more than that comes off as projection to me.

The character was a serial killer who suffered from mental issues. Exactly what did the writer of the article want to see.

For some reason its become popular to humanize villains and indirectly justify the person's behavior or actions. having multilayered villains are interesting, but sometimes just like in real life people are evil .It's made clear that the series was trying to avoid humanizing her and implies that Dre has always been violent. The events of the series just amplified what was already there. if you wanted to empathize with the character, there was something there for you as the viewer as well.

Maybe I'm just not knowledgeable enough about Donald Glover's history to think much of how Dre's character is portrayed. It seems like he went out of his way not to influence the character by bringing on a woman co-creator and allowing Daniel to develop the character with minimal input. It seems as though the series had input from black women including the writing team.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
It's made clear that the series was trying to avoid humanizing her and implies that Dre has always been violent.
Exactly this part. The whole thing, sans the blip relationship at the end, didn’t paint her as the model human being or having any modicum of humanity.

I mean she bit her idol .. lol

Idk what else this writer was looking for, nor how this is a representation of black women. I find that insulting in and of itself. It almost feels like complaining just to complain.