TV Streaming Discussion: HBO MAX UPDATE: WTF is Going on? Merger with PARAMOUNT?!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Christopher Nolan Takes His Next Film to Universal Pictures
By Zoe Haylock@zoe_alliyah

e101d421b91bdd880e04edd8f9d36a343b-christopher-nolan.rsquare.w330.jpg

Friendship over with Warner Bros., now Universal is his best friend. Photo: Kevin Winter/Getty Images
Ooh, the girls are fighting. Christopher Nolan has decided to take his next film to Universal Pictures, backing up his criticism of Warner Bros. The film, which he wrote, is based on J. Robert Oppenheimer’s role in the development of the atom bomb. Per Deadline, the film has been green-lit to begin production early next year, though no cast members have been confirmed. Nolan will produce along with Emma Thomas for Syncopy Inc.

The film ends a longtime relationship between Nolan and Warner Bros., who have worked together on The Dark Knight trilogy, Inception, Dunkirk, and Tenet. While Tenet did get a theatrical release during the pre-vaccine pandemic, Nolan publicly took issue when WarnerMedia chief Jason Kilar moved 2021 films to a day-and-date release on HBO Max, helping pad subscriptions for the infant streamer. “It’s about what the French call droit moral,” Nolan told the Washington Post of the decision last December. “Do they own it absolutely, because they paid for it or they financed it? And that is not a purely legalistic question; it’s a question of ethics as well. It’s a question of partnership and collaboration. They did not speak to those filmmakers. They did not consult them about what their plans were for their work. And I felt that somebody needed to point out that that wasn’t the right way to treat those filmmakers.”

@ViCiouS @largebillsonlyplease

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
The Matrix Resurrections – Official Trailer 2

Remember what is real. Watch the new trailer for The Matrix Resurrections now – in theaters and on HBO Max 12.22.21.

I had planned on watching it on HBO MAX, but after seeing this new trailer I'm taking my ass to the theater for sure.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Station 11
Limited Series Debuts December 16, 2021

Synopsis

Survivors of a devastating flu attempt to rebuild and reimagine the world anew while holding on to the best of what's been lost.

Station-Eleven-2-600x889.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Station 11
Limited Series Debuts December 16, 2021

Synopsis

Survivors of a devastating flu attempt to rebuild and reimagine the world anew while holding on to the best of what's been lost.

Station-Eleven-2-600x889.jpg

Checked out the first 3 available episodes this AM.

Looks like they are doing 3 eps in week 1, followed by 2 eps, 2 eps, 2 eps, and then the finale. Miniseries runs from Dec. 16th - Jan. 13th release schedule.

Enjoyed eps 1 and 3. Didn't care as much for ep 2.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Peacemaker | Official Trailer | HBO Max

Give peace a fucking chance. Peacemaker arrives on HBO Max this January.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
I really really really want this to be good

Same here.

I watched the first two movies last week while on the road on HBO MAX.

I wasn't impressed with the Peacemaker character in the 2nd movie.

I watched the Series premiere this past weand it is a total 180 from how the character was shown in the movie.

John Cena made the character more presentable and did a good job in the premiere. Comic timing was on cue.

The supporting characters are ok.

For the gay agenda trackers, there is IR Black Lesbian between two female characters.

Also, for a extended scene, John Cena is running around in just his briefs fully displaying his body. More than what you are used to seeing from his wrestling days. He also has a quick sex scene fully nude fucking a chick bent over.

No eye candy for the series from what I saw in the premiere to satisfy the Thirsty.

Will continue to watch when all the episodes finish.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Resurrections On HBO Max
By Jennifer Zhan
Photo: Warner Bros. Pictures/YouTube
Look what Scarlett Johansson started. Six months after she and Disney butted heads over Black Widow, another studio is facing a breach of contract lawsuit for simultaneously releasing a movie in theaters and on a streaming service. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros. is being sued for putting The Matrix Resurrections on HBO Max on the same day that it hit theaters. Village Roadshow, which co-produced the film, has alleged that the hybrid release was intended “to create a desperately needed wave of year-end HBO Max premium subscriptions” — even though Warner Bros. knew “full well that it would decimate the film’s box office revenue and deprive Village Roadshow of any economic upside that WB and its affiliates would enjoy.”
According to the complaint filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, The Matrix Resurrections was originally supposed to be released in 2022. The lawsuit alleges that the movie instead became part of an initiative known as “Project Popcorn,” joining all other Warner Bros. 2021 feature films in receiving a simultaneous release on HBO Max. Village Roadshow claims that the studio knew this decision would lead to reduced box office revenue and increased piracy. According to the lawsuit, Village Roadshow has not paid for a substantial amount of production expenses for The Matrix Resurrections as a result of the alleged breach of contract. In a statement, Warner Bros. called the lawsuit a “frivolous attempt by Village Roadshow to avoid their contractual commitment to participate in the arbitration that we commenced against them last week. We have no doubt that this case will be resolved in our favor.”

The Matrix Resurrections is not the only title Village Roadshow is upset about. In the lawsuit, the company further alleges that Warner Bros. has refused to recognize its right to partner on projects that are still in the works, including Wonka and a TV series based on Edge of Tomorrow. ScarJo and Disney managed to settle their case after a couple months, but only one movie was involved, so we’ll have to see how long it takes to reach a resolution this time.

HotNixon36

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
HBO Max’s Ratings Euphoria
By Josef Adalian

Photo-Illustration: Vulture; Photo b y HBO
This story also ran in Buffering, Vulture’s newsletter about the streaming industry. Head to vulture.com/buffering and subscribe today!

How hot is Euphoria? HBO this week said that even airing opposite the Super Bowl, its edgy Gen-Z drama was able to attract a series-high 5.1 million viewers within a few hours of its premiere. That number includes viewers who watch the show live on TV, record it via DVR, catch the same-day reruns on HBO, and, most importantly, stream it. Given the show’s youthful skew, you’d expect a big chunk of Euphoria’s audience to come from streaming, but I have to admit I was a bit shocked when HBO/HBO Max content chief Casey Bloys this week told me just how much of the series audience comes from HBO Max. “Eighty percent of viewing is taking place on the platform,” he told me, noting that other HBO recent hits such as Mare of Easttown and White Lotus drew 50 and 60 percent of their audiences from Max, respectively.

Eighty percent of Euphoria viewing is taking place on HBO Max.
Euphoria’s streaming skew explains why the overall audience for the show is much bigger than even the numbers HBO reports after episodes premiere each week. That 5.1 million HBO reported for this Sunday’s episode will triple within the next few weeks as audiences catch up. Already, for example, last month’s season premiere is estimated to have been watched by a jaw-dropping 17 million viewers. You’d never guess that from the same-day numbers Nielsen reports. The ratings company only tallied 254,000 same-day viewers for the show’s January 9 return; this week’s episode notched 283,000 same-day viewers. But once those DVR replays and HBO Max streams get tallied, the total audience explodes. “I think Euphoria at this point has taken off into another stratosphere,” Bloys says.
I talked to the HBO/HBO Max boss on Tuesday in conjunction with the platform’s appearance at the TV Critics Association virtual press tour. Among the other tidbits I gleaned from a quick ten-minute chat with Bloys:
➽ While Prime Video has already launched a massive marketing campaign for its new Lord of the Rings series, Bloys isn’t feeling any pressure to start beating the drums for Game of Thrones spinoff House of the Dragon. “When you’re talking about rolling out a show, timing is important,” he said. “You don’t want to do it too late but you don’t want to do it too soon, so that you spend a lot of money telling everybody about something that doesn’t air for months and months, when hundreds of other shows are going to air in between. That’s what we’re usually balancing is, when is the optimal time for messaging to start?” Bloys played coy when I asked if the Dragon effort would roar to life. “Our campaign will kick in at some point,” he laughed. “How’s that for vague?”
➽ As he’s said for months now, a second season of And Just Like That … depends on the cast and producers having the right idea for the show and having a desire to do it. Showrunner Michael Patrick King recently told Variety he definitely wants to come back, so is HBO Max still interested? “Oh, yeah,” Bloys said.
➽ I asked Bloys why HBO Max originals such as Hacks have the same weekly cadence as HBO shows, but don’t also premiere new episodes in primetime (9 or 10 p.m. Eastern) the way HBO shows do when dropping on Max. Instead, they simply appear on the service in the wee hours of the morning, like most streaming-only shows. “It’s a fair question,” he told me. “I don’t have a good answer for you.” I don’t know if Bloys will consider making a change, but anecdotally, Apple TV+ has benefited by having its Friday premieres actually bow Thursday evenings at 9 p.m. Eastern, while HBO-branded shows still get a lot of buzz from audiences almost surely watching nearly live on HBO Max.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

HBO Max Has Definitely Seen Your Tweets, Is Fixing Its Apps
By Eric Vilas-Boas@e_vb_

Nearly two years ago, when HBO Max launched, it had so many problems it became a running joke. Beyond contending with two other apps emblazoned with the HBO tag, Max’s technological rollout was rushed. “It was built to get on as many devices as possible with a minimum viable feature set,” says Sarah Lyons, HBO Max’s executive vice-president of direct-to-consumer global product management. The new app had a lot more content to support and ambitions to reach far more users, but it was built off the architecture made for the existing HBO Now and HBO Go apps. Crashes, persistent slowness and freezing, and a pesky habit of forgetting Apple TV+ users’ subtitle and caption settings ran rampant, among other complaints. “It was important for us to, as quickly as possible, get off the old and get onto a new platform,” she says now, as WarnerMedia merges with Discovery and HBO Max prepares to join hands with Discovery+, and HBO Max expands internationally.

Lyons’s team has been working to update most of the existing HBO Max apps across large-screen devices by “replatforming” them, a process she described as “changing the engine of the plane while flying the plane.” The Roku app was the company’s first priority — given how many Roku owners endured crashes — followed by their TV apps on Android, PlayStation, LG, Vizio, Samsung, Vodafone, Comcast, and Cox devices. The new Apple TV+ app is rolling out in the coming days.

The outside of the new HBO Max app mostly looks the same aside from some new animation swooshes, a sound effect or two, and — on the Apple TV+ app — curation improvements to the “My Stuff” list. But the inside is more stable. The improved back end comes in part from You.i TV, a developer WarnerMedia acquired in 2020, which Lyons says gives the apps more flexibility across devices. Lyons says the company has reduced Roku crashes by up to 90 percent since replatforming. On Android devices, where it took seemingly forever just to open the app, it has cut launch time down by 50 percent. For now, the company’s focused on fixing TV-based apps, but it will eventually direct their efforts to phones and tablets as well.

“Each platform had its own intrinsic issues that we’ve been trying to attack with this,” Lyons says. She reads the tweets from annoyed HBO Max users every day, she says, and works to address the complaints she finds within them as part of these efforts. “There are little experience issues that are in and of themselves little ‘paper cuts,’ but they add up to a big issue.”