UFC

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
:yes:

Anthony Njokuani is fighting this weekend. Should be a good match-up (vs. Daron Cruickshank). Both well-versed with the stand-up & kick game.

Gonna be fun to see how they match up for sure ...

Njoukani-kick-Horodecki.gif
tumblr_n7uf5cx8UO1ry1rm7o1_400.gif
5.gif
Njokuani-Knocks-Out-Horodecki-With-Swift-Kick-to-Head-595x460.jpg
barboza1dgm.gif
anthony_njokuani_chris_horo.jpg
Daron+Cruickshank+Head+Kicks+Erik+Koch+UFC+Fight+Night+Cincinnati+-+Brown+vs.+Silva.gif
Daron-Cruickshank-vs.-Mike-Rio-2.gif
CruickshankDetroitSuperstar.gif
Daron+Cruickshank+Body+Kicks+Henry+Martinez+-+UFC+on+Fox+5.gif
ufconfox10-photo-835404346.gif
119_Daron_Cruickshank_vs_Mike_Rio.0.jpg
Daron+Cruickshank+Backflip+Victory+Celebration+UFC+Fight+Night+Cincinnati+-+Brown+vs.+Silva.gif
cruickshankflip.jpg

Sure thing, TD. A busy weekend. Bellator last night (Friday) and Saturday (UFC) =

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fight_Night:_Nelson_vs._Story
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fight_Night:_MacDonald_vs._Saffiedine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UFC_events

Fight card (UFC Fight Pass)
Weight class Method Round Time Notes
Welterweight Gunnar Nelson vs. Rick Story
Featherweight Akira Corassani vs. Max Holloway
Light Heavyweight Ilir Latifi vs. Jan Błachowicz
Featherweight Niklas Bäckström vs. Mike Wilkinson
Preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass)
Middleweight Magnus Cedenblad vs. Scott Askham
Welterweight Nico Musoke vs. Alexander Yakovlev
Featherweight Dennis Siver vs. Charles Rosa
Welterweight Cathal Pendred vs. Gasan Umalatov
Middleweight Tor Troéng vs. Krzysztof Jotko
Lightweight Mairbek Taisumov vs. Marcin Bandel
Featherweight Zubaira Tukhugov vs. Ernest Chavez

Welterweight Rory MacDonald vs. Tarec Saffiedine
Bantamweight Raphael Assunção vs. Bryan Caraway
Lightweight Chad Laprise vs. Yosdenis Cedeno
Middleweight Elias Theodorou vs. Bruno Santos
Welterweight Nordine Taleb vs. Li Jingliang
Bantamweight Mitch Gagnon vs. Roman Salazar
Preliminary card (Fox Sports 2)
Lightweight Daron Cruickshank vs. Anthony Njokuani
Lightweight Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Jake Lindsey
Lightweight Jason Saggo vs. Paul Felder
Flyweight Patrick Holohan vs. Chris Kelades
Welterweight Albert Tumenov vs. Matt Dwyer
Bantamweight Pedro Munhoz vs. Jerrod Sanders

UFC_53_event_poster.jpg
UFC_FIGHT_NIGHT_HALIFAX_POSTER.jpg

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Alexander Gustafsson to meet Anthony Johnson in Sweden

The UFC announced Wednesday the makings of a monster card on Fox for January, with the main event pitting Alexander Gustafsson against Anthony Johnson with the winner earning the next shot at the UFC light heavyweight title.

The bout will be on Jan. 24 in Stockholm, Sweden, at Tele2 Arena in Sweden, a dome which can hold in excess of 30,000 fans for soccer and likely more for mixed martial arts. It willl be shown live nationally in the U.S. on Fox.

The No. 1-ranked Gustafsson was supposed to rematch champion Jon Jones for the belt in the main event of UFC 178 in Las Vegas on Sept. 27, but had to pull out because of a knee injury. He'll know fight the No. 3-ranked Johnson for the right to meet the winner of the Jan. 3 championship bout between Jones and No. 2 Daniel Cormier that is behind held in Las Vegas.

"This is going to be an epic event,” Gustafsson said in a statement released by the UFC. “I want more than 30,000 fans to come and witness me win on Jan. 24. Then I’m going to go and get the title. My journey back to the top starts now."
Johnson, who was recently reinstated by the UFC after allegations of domestic violence against him could not be proven, said he is eager to challenge Gustafsson in Gustafsson's home country.
Johnson is coming off a decisive victory over Phil Davis in the co-main event of UFC 172 and a first-round knockout of Antonio Rogerio Nogueira at UFC on Fox in San Jose on July 26.

"This fight might be on his home turf, but I’m ready to go over to Sweden and prove that I’m the next in the line for the UFC light heavyweight title,” Johnson said in a statement. “I’m not intimidated by fighting in front of Alex’s hometown fans. I’m going to go in there and look for the knockout like I do in all of my fights. I can’t wait for this."

The co-main event features Dan Henderson's return to middleweight against Gegard Mousasi. Matt Brown will meet former Strikeforce champion Tarec Saffiedine on the main card.

Chael Sonnen returns from exile, hired by ESPN as MMA analyst

ESPN's somewhat surprising decision to hire former UFC fighter Chael Sonnen as an on-air mixed martial arts analyst is bound to draw strong reactions, on both sides.

Sonnen's career imploded in the late spring, when he failed two random drug tests given to him back-to-back by the Nevada Athletic Commission. That ultimately led to him receiving a two-year suspension which effectively ended his fighting career.

But the test failures -- and Sonnen's over-the-top way he spoke about them on the air -- cost him his second job as an MMA analyst at Fox.

It's only been five months since this all went down, and it seems way too fast. It was inevitable that Sonnen would return to television, because he's too good at what he does.

But ESPN announced Tuesday it had hired the so-called "American Gangster," and that he would appear on its MMA coverage beginning on Friday when he discusses UFC 180 in Mexico City. According to an ESPN news release, Sonnen will appear on SportsCenter and other UFC platforms.

It's a boon for the UFC, because it's a commitment by the most powerful sports television network in the world to more regular MMA coverage. One would assume that Sonnen won't just be limited to UFC coverage, either; Fox had a business deal with UFC and didn't cover other promotions, but ESPN does not and it would seem likely that Sonnen will talk about other MMA promotions as well, most notably Bellator.

But Sonnen's hiring is also going to bring it increased scrutiny for bringing back one of the worst, most blatant drug cheats in the history of sports.

ESPN made no mention of Sonnen's notorious past in its news release. But Glenn Jacobs, ESPN's senior coordinating producer for MMA coverage, told the Associated Press' Greg Beacham that he is unconcerned about Sonnen's numerous past failures.

We know Chael has made some mistakes in the past. He's been honest. He's been up-front about it. He has paid for the mistakes that he has made, and he's moving forward.
After Sonnen eviscerated Fox's Mike Hill on the air while discussing his drug test failures, it was clear he was a short-timer with that network. It was a classless thing to do and he deserved to lose his job for that.

Because he lied on the air so repeatedly about his drug usage, it's going to be hard for him to regain credibility with a large segment of the ESPN audience. Sonnen, of course, is now singing a different tune when he says he's in favor of increased drug testing and against the use of performance-enhancing drugs.

I am for clean sport. The rules have changed during my career. The rules have changed during this year, which landed me in a tough spot because I didn't change with them. But the reality is, the rules are good, and to have clean sport is good.
There are times when you can turn to science and medicine, and that looks like a pretty seductive route. But if I had to choose one of the two, I would not choose the side that I was on. I would support the other side. We need a clean sport, and we've got to follow the rules, and that's it. I accept the consequences.
In order to regain credibility, Sonnen has to become an outspoken leader in the anti-drug crusade. He needs to say what he knows, and discuss how fighters have been able to beat the system. Just passing a drug test is no guarantee that one was not doping, as Dr. Lawrence Bowers notably said during his testimony for the United States Anti-Doping Agency during the Lance Armstrong case.

In addition, he's no longer working for a company with a deal with the UFC. He's going to have to speak bluntly about UFC management and discuss its failings as well as its successes.

He said he'll speak out, but time will tell if that is true.

I wouldn't shy away from a topic, even if it's one that brought me shame. There are topics like that, and there are opponents I'm going to have to cover that have also embarrassed themselves, but that's part of the sport, man. I cherish those moments.
Though what Sonnen did in failing those drug tests and then repeatedly lying about it was reprehensible, he did it in his role as a fighter, not a broadcaster. It's not like he harmed anyone by lying; he only made himself and the company that gave him a platform look bad. He deserves the right to make a living.

He forfeited his right to make a living as a fighter, at least until the middle of 2016, and he says he's retired as a fighter. Any athletic commission should quickly oppose any attempt by Sonnen to return during the two-year suspension he was given by the Nevada commisison for his failure.

And if he chooses to return after his suspension is up -- which he says he will not do -- then he should be tested regularly to make certain he is clean.

But as a broadcaster, the man paid a heavy price. He lost a high-profile, high-paying gig and was disgraced in the process.
Still, he deserves the right to make a living.

ESPN can say that it's not concerned about his past, but it will ultimately be up to the public to decide. If the public doesn't forgive him, and if he can't regain his credibility with the audience, then it won't matter what any executive in Bristol, Conn., might believe.

There are dozens upon dozens of UFC fighters who have shown immense promise as broadcasters, and ESPN could have hired any one of them and avoided the controversy that is sure to surround Sonnen.

But it opted to cast its lot with a guy who, frankly, lied to people's faces with regularity.

It's hard to believe he'll do what he says because of his past, but if he does, he can be a clear asset to ESPN's broadcast coverage of MMA.

He shouldn't be given any breaks when it turns to the resumption of his fight career, but he served his time as a broadcaster and ESPN was within its rights to hire him.

Last edited:

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Man, I cant wait. There are some REALLY good cards in Dec and Jan.

One card thats creeping up that I'm esp looking fwd to is UFC Fight Night on Dec 13 - Dos Santos v Miocic. Mad heavies on that card:

Overeem/Struve
Gonzaga/Mitrione
Also Dos Anjos/Nate Diaz undercard

:dance:

Naraku

Rising Star
Registered
Damn, the UFC PPV, Bellator PPV on Spike, and the WSOF are on tonight at the same time.:eek:
Decisions, decisions.:smh:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Damn, the UFC PPV, Bellator PPV on Spike, and the WSOF are on tonight at the same time.:eek:
Decisions, decisions.:smh:

Yeah man - gonna be interesting to see those ratings numbers (WSOF and Bellator main cards and UFC prelims) and UFC PPV stats sometime next week. See how they all play out after tonight :D:lol:

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
REEBOK AND UFC PARTNER TO PROVIDE UFC FIGHTER UNIFORMS AND FAN APPAREL

Global fitness leader Reebok on Tuesday announced a groundbreaking partnership with UFC, the world’s leading mixed martial arts organization. Under the long-term deal, Reebok will become the exclusive authentic global outfitter of UFC, creating for the first time ever UFC ‘Fight Week gear’ and a ‘Fight Night kit’ for all UFC athletes. Reebok will also be the exclusive apparel provider for the millions of UFC fans around the world.

In addition to benefiting UFC athletes and fans, the Reebok and UFC alliance also has a significant charitable component. Starting in 2015, a percentage of sales from Reebok/UFC product will directly benefit Fight for Peace, an international NGO that uses boxing and martial arts, combined with education and personal development, to realize the potential of young people in communities that suffer from crime and violence.

“This partnership is much more than a licensing agreement,” said Matt O’Toole, President, Reebok. “It is a true collaboration between two great brands, which will not only give UFC a new and exciting look, but it will harness the global reach of both brands to also benefit young people around the world, particularly those at risk of being involved in crime and violence.”

“Together with Reebok we are changing the landscape of MMA,” said Lorenzo Fertitta, UFC Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “Working with another global brand with such a strong history in training and fitness will deliver long-term value for UFC athletes and their brands by elevating and further professionalizing the events and the sport. Every UFC athlete will benefit from high quality performance apparel specifically developed, tested and produced for MMA athletes. Never before has the sport had a global athletic footwear and apparel brand committed to investing so much in the research and development of products specifically for MMA.”

The Reebok/UFC apparel line, including the ‘Fight Week gear,’ ‘Fight Night kit,’ and UFC fan gear, will be developed in conjunction with UFC and its athletes, including current Reebok athletes UFC Welterweight Champion Johny Hendricks and UFC Lightweight Champion Anthony Pettis. In addition, UFC athletes will be helping Reebok to develop a new fight training-specific apparel collection.

“Not only is Mixed Martial Arts one of the fastest growing sports in the world, it is also one of the most challenging in terms of the dedication to training, overall fitness level and mental and physical toughness required. And nowhere is this on display more than in the UFC Octagon,”said O’Toole. “This partnership not only further cements Reebok as the leading fitness brand in the industry, it will also help us reach a wider audience and become the brand of choice for the more than 35 million consumers worldwide who use disciplines like boxing, kickboxing and mixed martial arts to live a fit lifestyle.”

Partnership to Benefit Fight for Peace

Last week, at Fight for Peace’s Academy in London, Reebok announced its long-term commitment to Fight for Peace, which was founded in 2000 by Luke Dowdney MBE, a former amateur boxer and British light-middleweight Universities champion, as well as the acquisition of LUTA Sportswear, an authentic boxing and MMA brand, also founded by Dowdney to help support Fight for Peace’s mission.

“Our partnership with Reebok is incredibly exciting for Fight for Peace and its future and Reebok entering into this long-term deal with the UFC will magnify the positive impact and reach of this partnership,” said Dowdney. “Reebok and Fight for Peace have a shared belief in the power of fitness – and specifically fight training – and the impact it can have on young people’s lives, particularly those who are impacted by crime and violence. Today’s announcement between Reebok and the UFC will help us continue to build international awareness for the Fight for Peace mission, allowing us to reach even more at risk young people globally.”

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
FORMER WWE CHAMP CM PUNK SIGNS MULTI-FIGHT DEAL WITH UFC, EXPECTED TO DEBUT IN 2015

After intense speculation, Phil Brooks, better known to the general public as CM Punk, has signed a multi-bout contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship to compete inside the Octagon.

The announcement was made during UFC 181 on Saturday. Punk is expected to make his debut sometime in 2015.

Punk, the longest reigning World Wrestling Entertainment champion of the modern era, parted ways with the world’s largest wrestling promotion earlier this year after “losing his passion for the business.”

In an interview with UFC commentator Joe Rogan, Punk explained his decision to enter the world of mixed martial arts.

“This is something that’s been in the back of my mind for a very, very long time. I have a background in Kenpo. I’ve done Brazilian jiu-jitsu off and on for a very, very long time,” Punk said. “But the idea of being able to step into the Octagon and find out what’s inside myself and test myself is an opportunity I was not able to deny myself. I don’t think I would have been able to live with myself if I didn’t give this a shot.”

At 36 years old, Punk is starting his career late, and that’s why he feels it’s imperative to get started in the fighting game sooner rather than later.

“I felt like it was now or never. Maybe about three years ago I re-signed with the WWE, and I tried to give that the old college try. It is now or never for me,” Punk said. “I have a limited window just like all fighters do. And I fully intend to get in there. I’m here for a fight. I’m here to get my ass kicked or kick somebody’s ass.”

While many wrestlers have tried their hand at MMA and slowly faded off into the distance, Punk claims that he is fully committed to his new endeavor.

“This is my new career, 100 percent. I’m going to go full steam ahead, all systems go after today and it’s gonna be fun. I have nothing but respect for everybody here in the UFC – everybody who steps into the Octagon to fight,” Punk said. “ When it’s all said and done -- when I’m finished -- everybody is gonna have to respect me because I have come here to fight.”

Punk’s weight class and future training home remain unclear, but he expects to reveal both decisions in due time.

“That [weight class] is something that’s up in the air – most likely middleweight. I’m gonna do a test weight cut. I’m gonna see how I feel. The option for welterweight might be there, but certainly not light heavyweight,” Punk said. “That’s something you’re gonna have to stay tuned for. I’ve talked to a few people but I really didn’t want to tip my hat as to actually why I was inquiring with certain camps. I didn’t’ want to give it away. Now that this is public, you’ll probably find out very soon where I’m gonna go.”

The move officially puts to rest any speculation that the self-proclaimed “Best in the World” will be returning to the squared circle anytime soon. Instead, Punk joins the ranks of former pro wrestlers turned MMA fighters, most notably, former UFC champion Brock Lesnar.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cung Le, Jon Fitch and Nate Quarry Spearhead Lawsuit Claiming UFC Killed Competition

The UFC anti-trust lawsuit that has been widely speculated over the past few days became a reality on Tuesday when a legal team representing plaintiffs Cung Le, Jon Fitch, and Nate Quarry filed the suit in the United States District Court, Northern District of California, in San Jose, Calif.

The suit alleges that the “UFC has engaged in an illegal scheme to eliminate competition from would-be rival MMA Promoters by systematically preventing them from gaining access to resources critical to successful MMA Promotions, including by imposing extreme restrictions on UFC Fighters’ ability to fight for would-be rivals during and after their tenure with the UFC. As part of the scheme, the UFC not only controls Fighters’ careers, but also takes and expropriates the rights to their names and likenesses in perpetuity. As a result of this scheme, UFC Fighters are paid a fraction of what they would earn in a competitive marketplace.”

In a press conference announcing the suit on Tuesday, lawyers from several firms noted for anti-trust issues were in attendance in San Jose alongside Le and Quarry, who were there in person; Fitch, who was on the phone for the conference; and former UFC champion Carlos Newton, who was also in attendance lending his support, although he is not currently named as a plaintiff in the suit.

The firms representing the fighters include the Joseph Saveri Law Firm; Cohen Milstein Sellers & Toll, PLLC; and Berger & Montague, P.C.

The fighters and their attorneys are essentially alleging that the UFC has conducted its business and structured contracts in a manner that has shut down any competitive market. They say the UFC used a series of exclusive arrangements to keep the fighters locked up and then bought out and shut down its competitors, leaving elite fighters with no way to obtain worthy compensation.

“This lawsuit is really about fairness. It’s about a fair market for the athletes. And over and over again we’ve seen that that’s just not the case,” said Quarry, who was a cast member on the inaugural season of The Ultimate Fighter and fought for several years in the UFC before retiring.

“The UFC has taken over the entire industry and dictated its terms upon the fighters without any say. We don’t have any rights. It’s the word that comes down. This is the new religion as it were.”

That is what the fighters and their attorneys say they are trying to change, a landscape where elite fighters either perform under the absolute terms of the UFC without any wiggle room or fight for peanuts elsewhere.

“We deserve a free marketplace where we can complete. Not just to be dictated; this is your salary and this is what your value is,” he continued. “We deserve to be out in a free marketplace where we can compete for ourselves. And we deserve to have a say in our careers, where we’re going, who we’re fighting, the title fight, where our likeness is used. There are things the UFC has taken and taken from granted for far too long.

“If we don't take a stand now, nothing is going to change.”

Neither Quarry nor Fitch has any remaining ties to the UFC, but Le, however, is still under contract with the promotion, although he recently asked to be released after he squabbled with the UFC over the handling of a drug test and suspension in relation to his last fight.

“I’m honored to be part of this lawsuit against the UFC for all the past UFC fighters like Carlos Newton and Nate (Quarry) and for all the future fighters,” said Le. “And potentially one day if my kids want to pursue the same path as I do, they would have a better situation to be in. I’m just very excited to get this going.”

Although Newton has not been named as a plaintiff in the lawsuit, he was in attendance, lending his support and opinions on the matter.

“I just want everyone to know that the sport of mixed martial arts is the most restrained sport in the world. It’s restrained by the UFC,” he said. “The UFC is the fastest growing monopoly in the world, and I’m here to fix that, address that. I’m here to stand in with my fellow fighters.

“We’re here to remove the anti-competitive restraints, address the anti-trust violations, gain compensation for our sweat, blood, our years of dedication and hard work. And I’m here for my future generation of fighters, which includes my own children. For me, I want to be able to fight for what I’m worth and not have to rely on someone else’s generosity. I want to live in a democracy. I want to fight in a democracy, not under a dictatorship.”

Tuesday was just the first official step in a lengthy process that will play out in the legal system, but it is a step that has the potential to change the mixed martial arts playing field forever.

Though there weren’t as many fighters named as the speculation indicated, that could change as the case progresses through the system.

UFC officials did not address the specifics of the lawsuit on Tuesday, other than to say, “The UFC is aware of the action filed (on Tuesday) but has not been served, nor has it had the opportunity to review the document. The UFC will vigorously defend itself and its business practices.”

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
UFC ANNOUNCES EVENTS IN SCOTLAND & GERMANY, ‘CRO COP’ VS. GONZAGA 2 IN POLAND

The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Friday announced that heavyweight knockout artist Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic will return to the Octagon to rematch Gabriel Gonzaga on April 11 at the Krakow Arena in Krakow, Poland.

The news was revealed at the UFC on Fox 14 pre-fight press conference in Stockholm. Also announced were events at the O2 World Berlin in Germany on June 20 and a July 18 bill at the SSE Hydro in Glasgow, Scotland.

The 40-year-old “Cro Cop” will look to avenge one of the more shocking losses of his career against Gonzaga, who victimized the Croatian superstar with a vicious head kick in 2007. Filipovic last competed in the UFC in 2011, ending a disappointing campaign with the promotion. He went 3-1 outside the Octagon since his departure.

Gonzaga has dropped two straight contests to the likes of Stipe Miocic and Matt Mitrione.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
BENSON HENDERSON UNSURE WHETHER HE WILL STAY AT 170: ‘IT’S STILL UP IN THE AIR’

During interviews prior to his win over Brandon Thatch at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night in Broomfield, Colo., Benson Henderson made it seem like his move to welterweight was a one-time deal.

However, following his fourth-round submission of a larger, favored foe, “Smooth” didn’t seem so sure anymore. While Thatch’s frame certainly dwarfed the ex-lightweight king at weigh-ins and inside the Octagon, Henderson’s superior experience took hold down the stretch, as he wore the Colorado native down by taking his back in both the third and fourth round.

The second instance came as a result of a beautifully timed takedown in round four, and when Henderson worked his way to his opponent’s back once again, an exhausted Thatch succumbed to a rear-naked choke.

It was a much-needed victory for the MMA Lab product, who had dropped his previous two bouts at lightweight. Could it also be the start of a new journey? Henderson seemed torn after a victory that some were calling the best performance of his career to date -- a strong sentiment directed at man who has competed at or near the top of another division for the past several years.

“It’s still up in the air,” Henderson said when asked if he would consider taking more fights at 170 pounds. “It’s not truly up to us... It’s up to the UFC a lot of times. They give you a call, talk to your manager, talk to you, and off you go.”

Moments earlier, Henderson was entertaining the idea of a welterweight showdown with top contender Rory MacDonald, who recently had a UFC 186 matchup against Hector Lombard canceled when it was revealed that Lombard had failed a drug test at UFC 182 on Jan. 3. Henderson was mistakenly under the impression that MacDonald was in need of a new opponent, but UFC President Dana White promptly squashed that notion.

“MacDonald has a fight,” White said. “He has a fight lined up already.”

White would not reveal MacDonald’s next opponent, but he would not be opposed to Henderson taking another fight at welterweight against a different foe. Like many in attendance, the UFC boss was impressed by the Arizonan’s effort at 1stBank Center on Saturday night.

“He looked unbelievable against a tough big guy,” White said. “I was blown away by his performance. It was insane. I’m not a big fan of small guys moving up to bigger weight classes but how can you deny what Benson did tonight?

“Ben took some big shots tonight, too. He looked awesome tonight. If he wants to stay at 170, I’m cool with it.”

Not surprisingly, Henderson did not see the matchup like the rest of the world. While others looked at the size discrepancy and doubted his chances, “Smooth” felt nothing anticipation leading up to the fight.

“Standing in front of him, I was more excited. Like most fighters, you see your opponent and you’re ready to go,” he said. “Sometimes he’s taller than you, sometimes he’s shorter than you, sometimes he’s wider than you, sometimes he’s skinnier than you. It is what it is. You’ve got to have confidence in your abilities and your skill set to go out and beat him up.”

Henderson admitted that he felt good at 170 pounds, and he believes that he could only improve competing at welterweight if given a full camp. He took the fight against Thatch on short notice, less than one month after dropping a unanimous decision to Donald Cerrone at UFC Fight Night in Boston on Jan. 18.

“It felt really good. There was something to not cutting down, not starving myself to death,” he said. “What we go through for ourselves to get down to weight ... if we had to continue for another three, four, five, six days, we’d probably do some massive damage to our bodies. We kill ourselves getting down. Being able to stay at 170 would make it a little bit easier.”

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ronda Rousey to fight Bethe Correia in UFC 190 main event in Brazil

Undefeated UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey will fight Bethe Correia at UFC 190 in Rio de Janiero, UFC President Dana White announced Friday.

Rousey (11-0), of Venice, will take on Correia (9-0) on Aug. 1 in the main event in Correia's home country of Brazil.

The Brazilian striker asked for a bout with the champ after her victory over Shayna Baszler (15-9), another fighter from Venice and friend of Rousey's, with a second-round TKO at UFC 177 in August.

"I want to have a shot at Ronda at some point," Correia said through an interpreter at the time. She has also criticized Rousey for not being a "good champion" and called her "selfish."

Rousey's last opponent, Cat Zingano (9-1), lasted just 14 seconds before the submission specialist forced her to tap out.

"I want to go and fight her [Correia] in Brazil and beat her in her hometown," Rousey told Jay Mohr Sports earlier this month. "That would be the best way I could really feel like I've vindicated my friends, to go to her hometown and beat her in her hometown and be total 'Rocky IV' on it."

The fight card is also set to include a light-heavyweight match between fellow Brazilians Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (22-10) and Rogerio Nogueira (21-6). The pair previously met in a PRIDE middleweight fight in 2005 with Rua claiming victory by decision.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
UFC veteran Demian Maia faces undefeated Ryan Laflare, Saturday 10pm ET on FOX Sports 1

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
T.J. DILLASHAW OUT OF UFC 186 TITLE BOUT AGAINST RENAN BARAO DUE TO RIB INJURY

T.J. Dillashaw has been forced to withdraw from his bantamweight title rematch against Renan Barao due to a fractured rib suffered in training camp.

The StarPhoenix first reported the news, and UFC officials confirmed the 135-pound king’s injury via Twitter. UFC 186 takes place at Bell Centre in Montreal on April 25 and features a flyweight championship matchup pitting Demetrious Johnson against Kyoji Horiguchi.

It is not currently known whether Barao will remain on the card or if the Brazilian will also be pulled from the event, according to the report.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Thanks for the update, Kes. Damn ... 1 month out from the rematch, plus the previous attempt at the rematch was postponed last year after Barao fell during the weight cut leading up to the weigh-ins.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Damn.. seems like it's not meant to be that they'll fight again

Hard to believe it's been 10 months already since the 1st fight (May 24th, 2014). 5 pages of discussion ... main event talk starts on the 3rd page of the thread ...

http://www.bgol.us/board/showthread.php?t=797124&highlight=Dillashaw

Official fight card
Main Card
Bantamweight Renan Barão vs. T.J. Dillashaw [a]
Light heavyweight Daniel Cormier vs. Dan Henderson
Welterweight Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Ellenberger
Bantamweight Takeya Mizugaki vs. Francisco Rivera
Lightweight Jamie Varner vs. James Krause
Preliminary card (Fox Sports 1)
Lightweight Michael Chiesa vs. Francisco Trinaldo
Lightweight Tony Ferguson vs. Katsunori Kikuno
Bantamweight Chris Holdsworth vs. Chico Camus
Lightweight Al Iaquinta vs. Mitch Clarke
Lightweight Anthony Njokuani vs. Vinc Pichel
Featherweight Sam Sicilia vs. Aaron Phillips
Welterweight David Michaud vs. Li JingLiang

Updated_UFC_173_poster.jpg
7086244.jpg
173-new-poster.0_standard_730.0.jpg
UFC+173+Banner.jpg
UFC173%20FOXSPORTS%20403x403.jpg
UFC-Poster-11-261x300.jpg

bodyslam.gif

I been wanting to see this again. Dude slams the fuck outta Hendo and then had the awareness to actually trip/kick him after trying to escape...classic.
:lol:

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Phil Davis: Leaving UFC for Bellator MMA was a business decision, not personal

Last week, it was revealed that former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight contender, Phil Davis, jumped ship to join rival mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion Bellator MMA.

Get all the details here.

The news caught many off guard, as "Mr. Wonderful" had long been one of the brightest stars in the division and had a healthy relationship with the ZUFFA higher-ups. Davis also carried a 4-2 record in his last six outings inside the Octagon, so his departure was not performance-based.

That's according to Phil himself, who revealed on The MMA Hour that jumping ship had nothing to do with any kind of beef with promotion president Dana White. Instead, he called his decision a businesses move, not a personal one.

"It's like anything, fighting is a job for me. I love it, but at the same time, it is what pays the bills. It wasn't like I wanted to get away from UFC, not at all. I absolutely love everybody at UFC. I thank Dana and Lorenzo for giving me my big break in MMA and giving me a chance to fight on the big stage. I have nothing but gratitude to express for those guys. I would have liked to sign a big contract and stay with UFC, sure, that was my first option. But as more options became available, I went with other options. It's hard to look at it emotionally. I am looking at it as a business move. There is probably no one out there, when offered a better opportunity that says, 'No, I'll stick with what I'm used to.'"

Davis did admit that the offer UFC gave him was comparable, but not what he wanted. Still, he leaves the company he's called home for the last five years on good terms.

"This is not a parting of ways where it's like, 'I hate you, you hate me and I am out of here' or an 'I quit' type of deal. Not at all. The guys at UFC are businessmen and they are running an organization. Same thing with me, I am a businessman and I run my own business."

Davis revealed that prior to his fight against Ryan Bader at UFC on FOX 14, he was offered a contract extension by UFC, but opted to decline the offer as a form of betting on himself in hopes of getting a better deal with a win over "Darth."

Whoops.

Even after losing to Bader, Davis says the same offer was still on the table, but he chose to sign with Bellator instead. Without going into too much detail, Phil revealed that the deal offered to him by the Viacom-owned promotion was ultimately better than the one his former employer offered him.

So in the end, jumping ship was a no-brainer.

And while UFC is undoubtedly the bigger promotion, at the end of the day, no one can blame Davis for moving to a smaller company for more money to be able to support himself and his family a bit better.

Because when it's all said and done, Davis -- just like every other pro fighter -- fights for money.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Former UFC fighter Corey Hill dies unexpectedly at 36

corey.gif

Corey Hill, a one-time contestant on the reality series "The Ultimate Fighter" who became best known for overcoming a gruesome leg injury to return to mixed martial arts competition, died Thursday near his Florida home, the UFC confirmed.

Hill was 36.

Pat Miletich, a former UFC champion and a member of its Hall of Fame, had been coaching Hill and said he had immense potential as a fighter. He said Hill's illness began innocently enough, but developed into pneumonia and cost him his life.

Hill broke his leg in a Dec. 10, 2008, bout in North Carolina against Dale Hartt. It was a ghastly injury and his foot was moving in the wrong direction. But he worked hard and a little more than a year later, he recovered sufficiently to return.

He told Yahoo Sports in 2009 about the arduous rehabilitation and his belief that despite doctors telling him he would never be able to fight again that he'd make it back.

I had these people who are very smart, who went to college and have advanced degrees and have become doctors, and they're supposed to always be right, and they're telling me that there's no way I'm going to fight again. But I was like, 'Whatever. I'm not listening.' I was scared, I'll admit that. There were a lot of negative things going on, but I wasn't only scared, but I was stubborn.
And I said, 'This is not going to be the end of Corey Hill. It's not going to end like this.' Doctors are telling me I'm not going to fight. Well, I don't know if they say that for motivational reasons, or if they really mean it at the time, but it was great motivation for me to hear doctors say, 'You'll never do this. You're never going to fight.' I was like, 'Oh yeah? Watch me.' I'm a competitor and this was my dream. I wasn't quitting that easily.

Hill was 6-9 in his MMA career and 1-2 in the UFC.

He was the father of three children. Funeral services are pending.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
UFC veteran called out of work to go to jail because it paid more

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) veteran Bubba McDaniel, who made a name for himself on The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 17, was sent to jail last week after cops pulled him over for not wearing his seat belt.

Why didn't "The Menace" just pay the $159 ticket and move on with his life?

Because it was cheaper to spend a day in jail, where he got three hot meals and a few hundred bucks to put toward his ticket. It sure beats the $60 he would have made at work that day doing manual labor in the hot sun.

From his conversation with MMA Fighting:

"A lot of fans are talking about, 'Well you made this money, you made that money.' Yeah, I made money at one time, but everybody forgets your manager gets 20 percent, your trainer wherever you're at gets 20 percent. If you have somebody doing your sponsors, they get 20 percent when they get you a sponsor. It's not that glamorous. People forget also, there are taxes on all this money, too. Then I've got child support that gets paid. Everything gets paid."

Everything and everyone.

McDaniel (24-9) was bounced from UFC following back-to-back losses to Brad Tavares and Sean Strickland in 2013-2014. The 32-year-old light heavyweight has since racked up a 3-1 record on the regional circuit, which includes a pair of fights under the Bellator MMA banner.

"Go to school, get an education, have a good job," McDaniel advises up-and-coming fighters (via MMA Fighting). "Something like that. Have work skills that you can fall back on if MMA doesn't work out for you."

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
200px-UFN_Berlin_2015_poster.jpg

http://ilemi.so/boxing/ufc-fight-night-69-jedrzejczyk-vs-penne-inb8c14

UFC Fight Night: Jędrzejczyk vs. Penne (also known as UFC Fight Night 69) is an ongoing mixed martial arts event being held on June 20, 2015 at O2 World in Berlin, Germany. 12:00 PM EST

Main Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Women's Strawweight Joanna Jędrzejczyk (c) vs. Jessica Penne [a]
Featherweight Dennis Siver vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
Welterweight Peter Sobotta vs. Steve Kennedy
Lightweight Nick Hein vs. Łukasz Sajewski

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
200px-UFN_Berlin_2015_poster.jpg

http://ilemi.so/boxing/ufc-fight-night-69-jedrzejczyk-vs-penne-inb8c14

UFC Fight Night: Jędrzejczyk vs. Penne (also known as UFC Fight Night 69) is an ongoing mixed martial arts event being held on June 20, 2015 at O2 World in Berlin, Germany. 12:00 PM EST

Main Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Women's Strawweight Joanna Jędrzejczyk (c) vs. Jessica Penne [a]
Featherweight Dennis Siver vs. Tatsuya Kawajiri
Welterweight Peter Sobotta vs. Steve Kennedy
Lightweight Nick Hein vs. Łukasz Sajewski

Thanks, I think the main card is just now starting though (3pm ET/12PM PT). Wish this was on TV..thanks for the link tho :thumbsup:

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Jose Aldo Jr. reportedly fractures rib, leaving UFC 189 main event up in the air

If you are an MMA fan, you might want to be sitting down because this is going to hurt a bit.

According to a report from Brazilian outlet Combate, UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo Jr. suffered a fractured rib during a mid-week sparring session and his fight with Conor McGregor is in jeopardy.

The July 11 bout is set to headline UFC 189 and the company’s annual International Fight Week. The week is filled with fight festivities, a fan expo, fighter meet and greets, and countless other activities for the visiting throngs of fight fans making the pilgrimage to Sin City.

The UFC has invested plenty in the Aldo-McGregor main event and a potential cancellation to the biggest fight in featherweight history has fans and media on the edge of their seat as the combat sports world awaits official word from Aldo's camp.

Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time Aldo’s name has been linked to injury. In fact, Aldo has pulled out of four other UFC fights (UFC 125, UFC 149, UFC 153 and UFC 176) during his half-decade reign atop the 145-pound division.

After fighting three times in 2013, Aldo has managed just one fight since, and the fight with McGregor has earned the Brazilian the most attention his career; this, despite the fact “Scarface” hasn’t tasted defeat in nearly a decade.

A replacement could theoretically be brought in for McGregor. However, given his marquee value and contender status, it is hard to imagine the UFC risking the payday that would come once Aldo heals up by throwing McGregor into a stopgap fight.

If the UFC 189 main event does fall to the wayside, the co-main event welterweight title fight between champion Robbie Lawler and Canadian Rory MacDonald will almost surely be slotted in as a replacement.

The fight serves as a rematch of a 2013 bout at UFC 167, in which Lawler defeated MacDonald via split-decision. The victory over MacDonald paved the way for Lawler’s series with then-champion Johny Hendricks and eventual UFC gold.

But while a second fight between Lawler and MacDonald should be entertaining, it certainly isn't on par with Aldo-McGregor.

So now we await official word on whether the fight will carry on as planned on July 11. UFC president Dana White, for one, isn't ready to jump to any conclusions.

Lord Vicious

Rising Star
I just read about that Aldo injury,man,i was really excited for that fight too.
I wanted him to crush Connor in the first 15 seconds.

Peace

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Romero
Olympic silver medalist Yoel Romero is closing in on a
world title shot, but first he has to get past the former light heavyweight world champion, Lyoto Machida, to get there. Don't miss the hard hitting action this Saturday at Fight Night Hollywood.

Last edited:

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Just watched the fight on DVR. My boy Romero!! :dance:

Him vs Jacare should be crazy if scheduled again..

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Travis Browne accused of domestic violence, pulled from UFC Fight Week

UFC heavyweight Travis Browne is being accused of domestic violence by his ex-girlfriend Jenna Reneé Webb.

Webb took to Instagram and shared pictures of her badly bruised body and face. When a fan asked if the injuries were caused by Browne, Webb replied, “Yes it was Travis.”

The caption accompanying the photo stated: “Probably one of the hardest decisions I’ve ever made was walking away from this life and starting over. I’m still ashamed for staying as long as I did.”

Fans last saw Browne in the cage against Andrei Arlovski at UFC 187 in May. It was a wild affair that had fans talking potential Fight of the Year material. Any positive momentum Browne may have gained — albeit from the disappointing loss — is now put on hold.

The UFC released a statement Thursday stating that Browne would be pulled from all International Fight Week appearances this week ahead of Saturday’s UFC 189 show:

“UFC is aware of the social media allegations made against heavyweight Travis Browne. The organization requires all athletes to act in an ethical and responsible manner, as mandated by the UFC Fighter Conduct Policy. UFC will not tolerate domestic violence or any other violation of the policy. Every athlete is deserving of due process and this situation, as with any official allegations, will be duly reviewed and thoroughly investigated by an independent party. In light of this news, Travis will not be participating in this week’s UFC International Fight Week activities in Las Vegas. The prevention of domestic violence and the education of the athletes is of the utmost importance to the organization. UFC holds its athletes to the highest standard and will continue to take appropriate action if and when warranted.”

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

First, heavyweight Frank Mir and Todd Duffee step into the Octagon for Fight Night San Diego on Wednesday. 10:00pm EST

Main Card (Fox Sports 1)
Weight class
Heavyweight Frank Mir vs. Todd Duffee
Lightweight Josh Thomson vs. Tony Ferguson
Women's Bantamweight Holly Holm vs. Marion Reneau
Bantamweight Scott Jorgensen vs. Manvel Gamburyan
Lightweight Kevin Lee vs. James Moontasri
Welterweight Alan Jouban vs. Matt Dwyer