UFC

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
mir-vs-duffee.gif

UFC Fight Night 71 in Tweets: Pros react to Frank Mir vs. Todd Duffee

The year of the great heavyweight revival just keeps on giving and giving. At the age of 36, former UFC champion Frank Mir scored one of his most destructive wins yet, starching Todd Duffee with an absolutely brutal left hand just 73 seconds into UFC Fight Night 71's main event. Check out reaction from the wicked slugfest below, along with reaction from the rest of Wednesday's main card.

The Spartan ✔@EliasTheodorou
Fedor-shape Mir cannot be stopped! #UFCSanDiego
12:56 AM - 16 Jul 2015 · Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Stipe Miocic ✔@stipemiocicufc
BOOOOOOOMMMMMMM
12:56 AM - 16 Jul 2015

Michael McDonald ✔@MaydayMcDonald
OMG! Frank Mir! Wow
12:56 AM - 16 Jul 2015

Ray Borg ✔@tazmexufc
Omg are you kidding me!!! Frank Mir isn't quite the old man we thought he was @ufc #ufc #UFCSanDiego

Sarah Kaufman ✔@mmasarah
That's a heavyweight fight...both got hurt, both swinging for the fences, Mir won and Duffee is flat out on his face!
12:57 AM - 16 Jul 2015

James Vick ✔@JamesVickMMA
Damn son the one hitter quiter!!
12:57 AM - 16 Jul 2015

Tim Sylvia ✔@timsylviamma
Got to say pretty pumped for @FrankMillerInk awesome job great ko

Diego Sanchez UFC ✔@DiegoSanchezUFC
Love the older guys showing the youngins how it's done!
12:58 AM - 16 Jul 2015

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
s5gkrQS.gif

Thompson (11-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) knocked out Jake Ellenberger (30-10 MMA, 9-6 UFC) with a second massive head kick on Sunday, just moments after landing the first stunner. But it also came not long after Ellenberger dropped Thompson with a punch, leaving “Wonderboy” to recover in order to land the $50,000 bonus-winning kick.

Check out the video highlights of the bout, which was the main event of the TUF 21 Finale at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card aired on FOX Sports 1 following prelims on that channel and UFC Fight Pass.

Check below for the top Twitter reactions to Thompson’s knockout of Ellenberger at the TUF 21 Finale.

Kenny Florian ✔@kennyflorian
Ummmmm are you KIDDING ME? @WonderboyMMA kicking techniques are insane!!!! Surgical precision.

Ariel Helwani ✔@arielhelwani
Real, new player at 170 in Thompson. So many great matchups for him.

Chris Weidman ✔@ChrisWeidmanUFC
If u ever wondered how I had confidence standing with Silva, machida, and belfort it was because I was sparring @WonderboyMMA #thebest

patrick cote ✔@patrick_cote
good job @WonderboyMMA !! happy you didnt land that sh*t on me #TUF21Finale @ufc

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

UFC Fight Night: Bisping vs. Leites

Main Card (Fox Sports 1) 1:00 PM EST
Weight class
Middleweight Michael Bisping vs. Thales Leites
Lightweight Ross Pearson vs. Evan Dunham
Lightweight Joseph Duffy vs. Ivan Jorge
Women's Strawweight Joanne Calderwood vs. Cortney Casey
Welterweight Leon Edwards vs. Pawel Pawlak
Lightweight Stevie Ray vs. Leonardo Mafra

Pipe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I didn't realize Frank Mir had been seriously boxing now. He's a sparring partner for Bermane Stiverne and Marco Huck. No wonder he put hands on duke so easily.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Does the UFC Have a Shot at Signing Fedor?

Former Pride FC heavyweight kingpin Fedor Emelianenko surprised everyone recently by announcing that he had his sights set on coming out of retirement. Vadim Finkelchtein, Fedor’s manager, was among those that was caught off guard by the sudden change of heart.

“I was surprised. I lost the hope to make him (come) back after one or two years of negotiations. I just couldn't make it,” he said in comments to MMAWeekly.com. “One time he asked me not to talk about this any more. But about a week ago, he told me that he might come back. I couldn't believe what I heard.”

As soon as the shock wore off, everyone started speculating about what promotion Fedor would fight for. Popular opinion immediately zoned in on Bellator.

Former Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker took the reins at Bellator and immediately brought Fedor into the fold to do promotional stints for the company. Not only that, Fedor also fought for Coker when Strikeforce was still alive and well, and the two reportedly get on famously.

The other reason that the radar focused on Bellator and not the UFC was the rocky past between UFC president Dana White and Fedor’s camp, specifically Finkelchtein.

The two parties had been in prolonged negotiations to bring Fedor to the Octagon back when Brock Lesnar sat atop the UFC heavyweight division. They had been zeroing in on a blockbuster affair that would have seen Lesnar put his belt on the line against Fedor at Texas Stadium (now AT&T Stadium) in Dallas.

Needless to say, negotiations blew apart when they couldn’t come to terms, and the fallout has been rocky ever since.

All that appears to be in the past, according to Finkelchtein, however, who says that Fedor bears no ill will towards White or the UFC and won’t be making his decision about where to fight based on the failed negotiations of the past.

“I don’t think that story can influence somehow Fedor’s decision to choose UFC or any other MMA promotion. If they will make a good offer to him that will be good for himself, then he can accept this,” said Finkelchtein during an interview with Submission Radio. “Also Bellator can make a better offer. So I don’t think that situation can influence it somehow.

“Dana talked a lot. (He) talked a lot about Fedor, about (me), and he talked bad. But Fedor understands that it all was just PR. He’s not in a bad relations with Dana and he doesn’t feel anything bad about him.”

UFC Hall of Famer and current Bellator fighter Tito Ortiz recently acted like he had the inside track on Fedor, telling Submission Radio that he believed the former Pride champion would sign with Bellator.

Finkelchtein, however, has been adamant that no decisions have been made on just where Fedor will land when he returns, and wasn’t ready to commit to a timeframe either. As he said, he’d like Fedor’s first fight back to be for his M-1 Global promotion in Russia, but at the end of the day, the decision is Fedor’s to make.

“When it comes to Fedor, it’s only his choice. He has a very wide choice of MMA organizations in the world, and who will make a better offer to him will get Fedor,” said Finkelchtein.

“I think UFC have a big chance to sign Fedor. It depends on what offer they will make. If Dana would not only talk, but do some things (and) will make a good offer to Fedor, they have a big chance then.”

The only thing for certain right now is that nothing has been set in stone when it comes to Fedor’s return.

“There's no certain information yet,” said Finkelchtein. “The only thing he told me is that he needed to prepare well enough, to become as dangerous as he used to be.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Cutman Stich Duran Says UFC Let Him Go for Speaking Out About Reebok Deal

The UFC‘s new apparel deal with Reebok ruffled a lot of feathers, including those of longtime UFC cutman Jacob “Stitch” Duran, who spoke out about how the deal affected him and his peers.

As of Tuesday afternoon, Duran said that the UFC cut him loose for doing so.

A little background: Duran and his fellow cutmen, much like the fighters in the Octagon, had sponsorship deals that helped to supplement their UFC income. But when the Reebok deal went into effect, which blocks other sponsors inside the Octagon, the cutmen, like the fighters, were no longer allowed to wear sponsor apparel or logs inside the Octagon.

The one big difference, Duran said that the cutmen were not getting a piece of the Reebok pie.

“No reason Reebok couldn't be getting that exposure now. I wonder if Reebok realizes they are missing a nice piece of real estate,” Duran told bloodyelbow.com. “We told our concerns to our higher ups who brought them to their higher ups, but we were informed it's a no-go. We were told there's nothing left in the kitty for us so there wasn't much we could do.”

Duran said he would likely have to look for further work as a cutman with boxers in order to make up for the loss of sponsorship money. He prefers MMA, but told bloodyelbow that he and his peers were discouraged from working with other MMA promotions, that although they were independent contractors, it was “not highly recommended,” a sort of “unwritten rule.”

It appears now that “unwritten rules” or not, Duran will be turning more to boxing and other mixed martial arts promotions for work.

UFC officials had no comment on the situation when contact by MMAWeekly.com.

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
This Reebok shit is wack. Boring and no individuality. I saw that someone had on ripped shorts at one of the last events. And no other sponsors. WTF. :smh:

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
rhonda will never be the best in my

book untill she fights cyborg..

and all them hoes take some

performance enhancing shit..

dont even get me started on that..

they are just like the male athletes

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Morning Report: Cung Le details rocky final years working with Zuffa and UFC president Dana White

Cung Le might be retired from combat sports but he's not done fighting.

The UFC and Strikeforce vet is a plaintiff in the class-action antitrust lawsuit against Zuffa, along with fellow fighters Jon Fitch and Nate Quarry.

Following his final professional bout against Michael Bisping Aug. 23 in Macau, China, Le tested positive for elevated levels of human growth hormone in a drug test overseen by the UFC.

Le was initially issued a nine-month suspension, which was then extended to a year. Le and his long-time manager Gary Ibarra protested the result and the suspension was lifted in late October.

Speaking with Quarry on his 'Round X Round' podcast, Le detailed the final tumultuous years competing under the UFC banner.

"After fighting Patrick Cote [at UFC 148], I thought I broke my foot," said Le. "Dana White says, 'I need you for Macau.' I said, 'I don't think I can fight. My foot, I think it's broken.' I went to the doctor and they said, 'It's not broken but it's a deep bone bruise.' It can be as bad as a broken foot. Two weeks later I was in a walking boot in San Jose when Chris Weidman fought Mark Munoz. They were like, 'Why are you wearing that? We need you in Macau.' They were like, 'It's just a bone bruise. You'll be OK.' I told them I wasn't cleared. Doctor hasn't cleared me.

"Two weeks after that Dan Henderson fought Lyoto Machida[sic]. I was in Los Angeles and they told me to meet them after the fight. I told them the doctor still hadn't cleared me. 'Hasn't cleared you? You've got to step up for the company.' I told them I couldn't get the doctor to give me a notice. I don't think they can do that. I told them hopefully I would be cleared in a week. Dana says, 'OK. You've got to let me know right away.' That night I'm driving and my phone blows up. Dana had announced my fight with Rich Franklin in Macau."

Le says his foot never fully recovered in time for the fight with Franklin, a bout he won via knockout in the first round. Additionally, he says he was forced to undergo surgery just five weeks before the fight after injuring his elbow during a 'crazy' media tour in Asia.

Following the Franklin fight Le was in the mix to fight Michael Bisping in Manchester, England. According to Le he was pulled to serve as the quasi host of 'The Ultimate Fighter: China.' Le says he was paid less than 'a tenth' of what he would have earned in the form of a fight purse.

Inactive since November of 2012, Le returned to Macau to face Bisping in August of 2014. The controversy that followed caused irreparable damage to Le's reputation, so says the fighter.

While Le was still under suspension, Dr. Don Catlin, one of the foremost authorities on the study of performance enhancing drugs, criticized the result by stating Le's HGH levels were even lower than the expected post*-exercise reference range for an athlete giving a sample after strenuous activity.

Basically, the good doctor said Le's test results should be ignored.

Le presented this data to the UFC, but says he was still pressured to admit he was guilty of using PEDs.

"Gary [Ibarra] presented that to them," said Le. "At the time I didn't even want to talk to them. I was disgusted with what happened. They agreed to lift my suspension and let it go. Of course, the day Gary calls me and says [UFC] are going to release a thing saying that the suspension has been lifted and they're retracting what happened, Dana called me and tells me if I just admit it, it'll be easier.

"The public would forgive me more. 'Look at the pitcher from the New York Giants[sic], he got busted for something.' Dana was saying it's easier just to admit it. I just didn't want to talk to him anymore. Had to hang up. He might as well have just sent some thugs to my house to strong-arm me or something. It's just ridiculous. Sometimes you get the s**t end of the stick and they just happen to be the s**t."

Le believes he has two fights remaining on his contract with the UFC, but don't hold your breath hoping to see him in the Octagon again.

"Screw that," said Le. "Why? So they can 'screw up' again? I don't trust [White]. The funny thing is, in the beginning I thought Dana and Lorenzo Fertitta were really cool. Some people told you're only good to them as long as they can use you. I didn't believe it until it happened to me. Now I believe everything that everyone says about them. Bad stuff. Very bad."

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

UFC Fight Night: Holloway vs. Oliveira (also known as UFC Fight Night 74) is an upcoming mixed martial arts event that will be held on August 23, 2015 at the SaskTel Centre in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Main Card (Fox Sports 1)
Weight class Method Round Time Notes
Featherweight Max Holloway vs. Charles Oliveira
Welterweight Neil Magny vs. Erick Silva
Welterweight Patrick Côté vs. Josh Burkman
Lightweight Chad Laprise vs. Francisco Trinaldo
Lightweight Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Tony Sims
Women's Strawweight Maryna Moroz vs. Valérie Létourneau
Preliminary Card (Fox Sports 1)
Lightweight Sam Stout vs. Frankie Perez
Bantamweight Yves Jabouin vs. Felipe Arantes
Light Heavyweight Marcos Rogério de Lima vs. Nikita Krylov
Flyweight Chris Kelades vs. Chris Beal
Preliminary Card (UFC Fight Pass)
Lightweight Shane Campbell vs. Elias Silvério
Light Heavyweight Misha Cirkunov vs. Daniel Jolly

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sorry Daniel Cormier, but Jon Jones coming back 'a lot sooner than you think' and 'will be champion again'

Daniel Cormier is the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion and will be defending his 205-pound strap against Alexander Gustafsson in the UFC 192 pay-per-view (PPV) main event on Oct. 3, 2015 in Houston, Texas.

That said, "DC" wouldn't have a title to defend had Jon Jones -- who handily defeated the Olympian at UFC 182 -- not been suspended for his run in with Johnny Law back in April. "Bones" was suspended and stripped of his title with no set return date.

But Chael Sonnen, who knows a thing or two about the ex-champ, told News.com.au he expects it to be sooner, rather than later.

"I think Jon Jones is gonna be back a lot sooner than you think. He's still got to get through a court date and anything could happen there — including jail time. If he gets jail time that just kicks the can down the road farther as far as his return. He'll definitely be back and he will be champion again. He's a young guy that behaves as a young guy. Some people get success and they change, I don't know that he's changed. He was behaving like a knucklehead before he was champion and he behaves like a knucklehead now. He's a young guy and I think a little bit needs to be considered there. He's a fist-fighter, he fights inside a steel cage I'm not totally sure all that's expected of him, and why? He's a very nice guy and that story never gets told, it seems like whenever he does something bad there's always a camera around him but when he does something nice it just goes unnoticed. I know him pretty well and he's a nice guy — he just behaves like a knucklehead and to me that sounds like a pretty regular person."

Most regular folks don't do this, but I understand his point.

Jones was charged with felony hit-and-run and could face jail time depending on the outcome of his next court appearance. When and where that happens is anyone's guess, as "Bones" is waiting for the prosecution to complete its case investigation.

See you in 2016?

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

UFC Fight Night: Barnett vs. Nelson (also known as UFC Fight Night 75) is an upcoming mixed martial arts event to be held on September 26, 2015 at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan.

Main Card (Fox Sports 1)
10:00 PM EST
Heavyweight Josh Barnett vs. Roy Nelson
Middleweight Gegard Mousasi vs. Uriah Hall
Flyweight Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Chico Camus
Bantamweight Takeya Mizugaki vs. George Roop
Featherweight Katsunori Kikuno vs. Diego Brandao
Featherweight Mizuto Hirota vs. Teruto Ishihara

Last edited:

TruDat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
that featherwieght fight was a rock em sock match
between Mizuto Hirota vs Teruto Ishihara
but a draw???

they were no Kazusha Sakuraba(s) but it was an interesting fight

i gave Ishihara a slight advantage 29-28

Barnett vs Big Country
and Mousasi vs Uriah Hall an interesting matchup

Uriah better bring his aggression against Mousasi
Gegard aint no joke

MasterKey

Support BGOL
Registered
Uriah Hall is that guy that is hard to figure out. When he's off his game you can pick up a win.

When he's on, your not gonna just loose, Your gonna loose big and end up on a highlight reel and have some serious brain injury.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
UFC scraps Saturday's Johny Hendricks vs. Tyron Woodley UFC 192 co-headliner

On the eve of UFC 192, the organization today lost its planned welterweight co-headliner.

In what was expected to be a likely title-eliminator, former champion Johny Hendricks (17-3 MMA, 12-3 UFC) was slated to take on Tyron Woodley (15-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC).

However, UFC President Dana White today tweeted that Hendricks’ weight-cutting issues forced the cancellation of the bout (via Twitter):

When contacted by MMAjunkie, Hendricks’ manager, Ted Erhardt, texted: “Blockage in intestine and a kidney stone. Had to go to ER last night and doctor had to pull him and give him an IV.”

UFC 192, which is the first event since the UFC instituted a ban on IVs for rehydration, takes place Saturday at Houston’s Toyota Center. Hendricks and Woodley, who are respectively ranked No. 2 and No. 4 in the NOS Energy Drink MMA welterweight rankings, were slated for the co-main event, which follows prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

A replacement won’t be sought on such short notice.

Hendricks was in good spirits when talking to reporters earlier this week (see above).

Officials subsequently announced a flyweight bout between Joseph Benavidez (22-4 MMA, 9-2 UFC) and Ali Bagautinov (13-3 MMA, 3-1 UFC) has been promoted for the FOX Sports 1-televised prelims to the main card.

The full UFC 192 lineup includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

Champ Daniel Cormier vs. Alexander Gustafsson – for light heavyweight title
Ryan Bader vs. Rashad Evans
Shawn Jordan vs. Ruslan Magomedov
Ali Bagautinov vs. Joseph Benavidez
Jessica Eye vs. Julianna Pena
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)

Daniel Hooker vs. Yair Rodriguez
Alan Jouban vs. Albert Tumenov
Islam Makhachev vs. Adriano Martins
Angela Hill vs. Rose Namajunas
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 6:30 p.m. ET)

Chris Cariaso vs. Sergio Pettis
Derrick Lewis vs. Viktor Pesta
Sage Northcutt vs. Francisco Trevino

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
200px-UFN_S%C3%A3o_Paulo_2015_promo.jpeg

Main Card (Fox Sports 1)
Middleweight Vitor Belfort vs. Dan Henderson
Light Heavyweight Glover Teixeira vs. Patrick Cummins
Bantamweight Thomas Almeida vs. Anthony Birchak
Lightweight Alex Oliveira vs. Piotr Hallmann
Lightweight Gilbert Burns vs. Rashid Magomedov
Light Heavyweight Fabio Maldonado vs. Corey Anderson

Vitor Belfort and Dan Henderson rumble for the third time at Fight Night Sao Paulo on Nov. 7 on FS1

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ronda Rousey's mom goes off on 'terrible coach' and 'bad person' Edmond Tarverdyan

The world’s most famous MMA fighter has a storied history with her mother. But lately, Mrs. “Rowdy,” a combat sports legend herself, has been more vocal about her daughter than ever before.

Ronda Rousey’s mom, AnnMaria De Mars, recently said she wasn’t a big fan of her daughter’s choice of friends. And now, in a recent interview with LatiNation, published today, the former judo world champion took issue with Rousey’s coach, Edmond Tarverdyan.

“I think Edmond is a terrible coach, and I will say it publicly,” De Mars said. “I think he’s a terrible coach. I think he hit the lottery when Ronda walked in there.”

Rousey (12-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC), the UFC’s women’s bantamweight champion, arguably is the most dominant fighter in the world. She has stoppages in all 12 of her pro MMA wins, and only once has she had to go past the first round.

Next month, Rousey headlines UFC 193 in Australia against Holly Holm (9-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) in a fight that the promotion is hopeful will set its new high-water mark for attendance. The card takes place at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne.

But because Rousey, who won a bronze medal in the 2008 Olympic Games in judo, already was successful in combat sports when she started training with Tarverdyan at Glendale Fighting Club in Southern California, her mom argues, the coach hasn’t done much to further her success.

“She was winning before she ever met him,” De Mars said. “She probably won 99 percent of the judo matches she ever fought in. She’d won the Junior Worlds when she was 17. She got a bronze medal in the Olympics. She got a silver medal in the world championships. She was one of the top athletes in the world when she walked in there, and he wouldn’t even give her the time of day for months. Somebody like that is a terrible coach.”

In fact, Tarverdyan has talked in the past about Rousey’s early days in his gym, admitting he wasn’t doing much coaching of the soon-to-be-world-famous fighter right away.

“When she came in, I didn’t want to train her because I had my hands full,” Tarverdyan told “The Joe Rogan Experience” podcast recently. “I was like, ‘What’s this girl doing? What is she going to do with this? Is she serious? Is she not?’ … She would have a lot of patience and have a lot of understanding and would work very hard. After like three, four months of being in the gym, I gave her a few pointers.”

De Mars said she believes Rousey might be sticking with Tarverdyan because, well, it’s a formula that has worked for her so far, likening it to sports superstitions.

“I think she stays there because it’s like somebody pitches a no-hitter when they’re wearing red underwear, and they wear that red underwear for every day – and I think it’s superstition, and I would caution anybody from going there,” De Mars said. “And I think it’s bad he uses her to lure people in. And the reason I tell everybody, and I told Ronda, ‘I’m not going to be quiet about this anymore’ – he’s a bad person, and people should not go there. And if he wants to sue me, that’s my honest opinion.”

Rousey made headlines earlier this week when UFC heavyweight Travis Browne went public with confirmation that he and Rousey are an item, which had been a months-long rumor. Rousey confirmed it, as well. Browne earlier this summer was suspended by the UFC while an investigation took place into allegations he had committed domestic abuse against his estranged wife. Browne was cleared by the UFC’s investigators and next will fight Matt Mitrione in January in Boston.

Earlier this year, Rousey was named the “most dominant athlete alive” by Business Insider, coming in ahead of 49 athletes from around the world across all sports – like NBA megastar LeBron James (No. 2); unbeaten boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr., a frequent verbal sparring opponent of Rousey (No. 14); and the only other MMA fighter to make the list, Jon Jones – who was No. 18 despite his April suspension and the stripping of his light heavyweight title in the wake of an arrest for his alleged involvement in a felony hit-and-run accident.

It’s been a mammoth year for the 28-year-old Olympian. In August, she headlined UFC 190 and knocked out Bethe Correia in 34 seconds. In February, she headlined UFC 184 in Los Angeles and submitted Cat Zingano in 14 seconds. The win was her second straight in record-setting fashion for a title fight. In July 2014, she knocked out Alexis Davis in 16 seconds.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
holly-holm-on-the-talk.jpg

UFC Champion Holly Holm On How She Celebrated Epic Win

The crowd chanted, “Holly! Holly! Holly!”

On Friday, reigning UFC Women's Bantamweight Champion Holly Holm visited The Talk to discuss her history-making victory against the previously undefeated champion, Ronda Rousey.

"Everything was working that we had in our plan," said Holm. "It was going good and so my corner just kept telling me, 'Stay focused, don't lose focus.'" Holm, who fought hard to remain focused, recalled the specific moment that won her the title.

“It’s kind of like a slow motion moment for me," she said. "I’m like, let’s not kick her until her hands are up," which, the UFC champ explained, would be illegal.

Aisha Tyler, a self proclaimed UFC fanatic, had only praise for the winner. “You did what a lot of people thought was absolutely impossible and the odds were crazy against you in this fight,” she said.

Holm, now basking in international glory, shared the inner monologue she used to land the biggest kick of her career, “Pick the right shot but, this is the moment to capitalize on.” She recalled the immediate aftermath, saying, "I call that the adrenaline dump, I didn't even realize how I did it until after."

Julie Chen raised that there had been a lot of chatter online about Rousey’s decision not to tap gloves before the fight. When asked if this fueled her win, the champion shrugged it off.

“When the bell rings you still want to hit them," she explained. "I wanted to win before that happened, I wanted to win after that happened.”

Sheryl Underwood asked Holm how she celebrated after the fight, and Holm's response was delightfully down-to-earth.

“I just went and had some french fries and a beer with my family and took it easy,” she said.

We can toast to that!

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Magny_Gastelum_updated_poster.jpg

Main Card (Fox Sports 1)
Welterweight Neil Magny vs. Kelvin Gastelum
Featherweight Ricardo Lamas vs. Diego Sanchez
Flyweight Jussier Formiga vs. Henry Cejudo
Welterweight Erick Montaño vs. Enrique Marín [a]
Lightweight Enrique Barzola vs. Horacio Gutiérrez
Lightweight Efrain Escudero vs. Leandro Silva

UFC Fight Night 78 is an ongoing mixed martial arts event being held on November 21, 2015 at the Arena Monterrey in Monterrey, Mexico

Last edited:

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
This shit's crazy:

24 hours after weighing 145 pounds, UFC's Diego Sanchez now at 171.2

Less than 24 hours after officially weighing in at 145 pounds for his first UFC featherweight fight, Diego Sanchez is apparently now 26.2 pounds heavier.

In other words, the UFC Fight Night 78 headliner has rehydrated more than a pound an hour ahead of tonight’s event.

Sanchez today posted the following photo on Instagram at 2:30 p.m. ET, and assuming no trickery is afoot, he tipped the scale at a staggering 171.2 pounds. (Let that sink in for a moment: He’s put on more than 26 pounds in less than a day.)

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
mainentrance.jpg

UFC Breaks Ground on New Global Headquarters

UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta was always optimistic that the mixed martial arts brand he bought with his brother Frank Fertitta III and friend Dana White in 2001 was going to change the sporting landscape, but nearly 15 years ago, breaking ground on a 184,000 square foot campus for his company wasn’t on the radar.

“When we first took over, we had more of a closet than an office,” Fertitta said. “It was located in my family’s office building where we handled all of our investments, and it was literally a closet, with the three or four people that started with us when we bought the company.”

Those were humble beginnings, but Tuesday in Las Vegas, the aforementioned ground breaking ceremony took place, kicking off a project that will not only see office facilities built for over 360 UFC employees, but the construction of a UFC Athlete Health and Performance Center that will revolutionize how the fighters of the Octagon train, rehabilitate injuries and gain knowledge about their bodies and the latest sports science.

“The campus itself is an investment in the future of the business,” Garry Cook, the UFC’s Chief Global Brand Officer, said. “It’s clearly a commitment to its employees and we all know that great organizations are built on people, so it’s a great place for our people. In addition to that, Las Vegas has become our home, and we feel that a continued investment in athletes is of paramount importance. The first thing we need to do is to make sure that we can provide the very best knowledge of what’s happening in sports science research, to enable our athletes to rehabilitate, to prepare, and prevent injuries. There is so much happening in the space of biomechanics and biometrics, and the sophistication that exists today in sports is something that we think we can take a leadership position on because our sport is very fragmented, considering the number of gyms that are in existence. The gyms do a great job, the athletes do a great job, but maybe we can take some lessons from the sports science research around the world and this facility will be the home of that knowledge.”

In the design and planning stages with Las Vegas-based KGA Architecture, the campus will take approximately 15 months to build, with construction to begin in January of 2016. For the company, which has grown exponentially since Zuffa bought the brand in 2001, the decision to create the campus was a necessary one for simple logistical reasons.

“As we’ve grown and have had success, obviously we’ve hired a lot of people,” Fertitta said. “I don’t think many people realize what it takes to pull off the 41 events that we do every year, and the magnitude of what it takes to run this business. And it just got to the point where we were spread out in various places around Las Vegas, and every great company needs the ability to at least have an area that will foster communication and teamwork and creativity, and I think that’s what this new campus will do for our team members.”

Housing not just offices, but state of the art multimedia space to facilitate the creation of internal content and keep the brand’s world-class production team rolling, Fertitta, a Las Vegas native, is also well aware of how important it was to cement the UFC’s roots in his hometown.

“This means a lot for the city of Las Vegas,” he said. “One, we’re a homegrown company. Two, we provide a sense of diversification for the economy here in Las Vegas. There are a lot of great companies that are based here, but the vast majority of them are oriented towards the gaming industry. And we have really provided an opportunity to build an employee base from a high-tech perspective and a media perspective, and I would have to say that we’re probably one of the only, and certainly the largest, media company that’s based in the city.”
gym1.jpg

Yet the real game-changer in the UFC Corporate Campus will be the UFC Athlete Health and Performance Center. The facility, the use of which is offered free of charge to UFC athletes, measures over 30,000 square feet over two floors and will contain an Octagon, a boxing ring, mat space, an indoor sprint track, Olympic lifting platforms and a media center. There are also consultation and treatment rooms, a physiotherapy and rehabilitation gym, as well as performance technology and sports science areas. It’s impressive on paper, and Cook believes that once in operation, it will change the sport for the better.

“As an organization, we have changed the landscape of sport in the last 15 years, and nobody would have guessed that was going to come,” he said. “And when you’re a leader, you have to take your sport and you have to take your business to a new place. The benefits that will come from this will be that the athletes will be better informed, they will be better educated, and there will be more awareness of how to train, when to train, what equipment you should use to train, and how the human body is now being measured across all sports. And we need to take a leadership position and innovate in our industry because we are the leaders of our business in MMA, we’re also leaders on the sports landscape, we’ve changed that landscape, and we can take our athletes to even greater heights by investing in athlete capability. So the reason why we’re doing this is because our athletes will become bigger, fitter, stronger, they will have a better understanding of what helps them prepare, a better understanding of rehabilitation and the process of training. We’re not looking to replace what the gyms do; we’re only looking to offer them the capability to enhance what it is that they do.”

In many ways, it’s similar to what the UFC has done over the last decade and a half in getting the sport sanctioned and regulated around the United States and around the world. It’s about looking ahead and providing a safe and level playing field for the athletes while also entertaining the fans by delivering a top-notch product.

“We’ve always been on the cutting edge of investing in the future,” Fertitta said. “We talk about that all the time, whether it was investing in these international markets by opening offices and putting in infrastructure or hiring high-end team members to be able to execute our vision, and this is another perfect example of that. We’re investing in the safety of our fighters with the anti-doping program that we put in place with USADA, and this is just an extension of that. It’s really about the athletes’ overall health, and what we found over the years is that, unfortunately, mixed martial arts training, in our opinion, just hasn’t evolved as training has in other professional sports. We need to make sure that we’re teaching, and that all of our athletes have the ability to see new training techniques firsthand so that they can not only perform better, but hopefully help prevent injuries and really have a facility no different than any other major professional sport has. It’s a place where they can come and either train or rehabilitate themselves and it’s just another example of us investing in our athletes and investing in the future of our sport.”

In other words, while the UFC is still the gold standard when it comes to mixed martial arts fight promotion, for those
lobby.jpg

steering the ship, it’s more than just putting on a bunch of fights on Saturday night.

“I think we’re clearly at an evolutionary step change for our business,” Cook said. “We are great fight promoters, and we still maintain that’s our core competency. We became great at creating media content and attracted a much broader audience then we ever anticipated around the globe. The next stage for us is how do we invest and make sure that our business is long-term, it’s sustainable, it benefits everybody, and in doing that, we become a better company and a much greater brand on a sports landscape that is controlled and managed by people like the NFL, the MLB, the NBA, the Premier League, World Cup? We want to be on that playing field. This is another step towards that. Because if you look across all of the other sports, we continue to look for advancement and innovation. Our UFC Athlete Health and Performance Center will have a connection to the Cleveland Clinic. There’s nothing more topical today than concussions. So when you see the company reacting and behaving because it wants to take a leadership position on the global sports landscape, then it makes you feel very good that we’re committed. And what we’re not doing is waiting until next Saturday just to put another event on. We’re investing in those three letters – UFC. They’re powerful, they’re meaningful, they’re delivering a great fan experience, and we want to continue that.”

Fertitta and company have come a long way from that first office / closet. And no, the Chairman and CEO doesn’t pass by those former digs for old time’s sake.

“I think we’ve torn that closet down and turned it into something else at this point,” he laughs. “But it actually says a lot, not just the vision that we had when we built the company, but everything that’s been achieved by our team members. When me, my brother and Dana bought the company in 2001, we had a vision and we wanted to make an impact in combat sports and kind of reshape combat sports, and we have accomplished a lot over the last 15 years. But the fact is that we don’t really have a whole lot of time to rest, put things in perspective and pat ourselves on the back. But I do think this will be another great example for people to actually see what it takes and the amount of resources it takes to actually pull off what we pull off.”

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
HOLLY HOLM WILLING TO FIGHT OUTSIDE HER WEIGHT CLASS, INCLUDING AGAINST CYBORG

For the longest time, everyone chattered about UFC bantamweight champ Ronda Rousey squaring off with Invicta FC featherweight titleholder Cris “Cyborg” Justino as the women’s fight for the ages.

They went back and forth for years about the fight, the UFC and Rousey never budging to Cyborg wanting the fight at a 140-pound catchweight, while they wanted the bout at 135 pounds or not at all.

All the hopes about that “superfight” came tumbling down when Rousey crashed to the canvas at UFC 193 courtesy of a Holly Holm head kick.

Soon after Rousey lost, Cyborg released a statement saying that she and her camp had determined, after months of trying, that she could not safely get down to 135 pounds, so she was ending her pursuit of a UFC bantamweight title fight.

That doesn’t mean that all hopes of a marquee cross-promotional match-up are off the table. Holm, the new UFC bantamweight champion, is open to the idea of fighting outside of her weight class. She doesn’t seem so sure the UFC would ever go for it, but she’d consider fighting outside of her current weight class.

The question now is, would the UFC ever make it happen?

COULD CONOR MCGREGOR BECOME THE UFC’S FIRST $100 MILLIONAIRE?

Conor McGregor has already predicted that he’ll soon be in the nine-figure arena in the UFC. His prediction prowess has proved to be quite accurate thus far, at least when it comes to his fights, and now he has a little backing for the idea that he might hit the mark in the money department, as well.

UFC chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta told ESPN.com on Tuesday that he thought McGregor would be “our first $100 millionaire.” And he wasn’t talking endorsements, movie deals, and the like. According to ESPN’s Darren Rovell, Fertitta was talking about fight earnings, bonuses, and pay-per-view revenue.

“We have sorted a deal already. It is a very good one,” McGregor told MMAFighting.com after his 13-second knockout of former champion Jose Aldo. “When you bring in a $10.1 million gate, back-to-back MGM records, the pay-per-views that we’re bringing in here, it’s nothing but good business. Times are good.”

With McGregor’s penchant for promotion, if he continues to win, it would certainly be believable that he could achieve the mark that Fertitta threw out.

Of course, he has even bigger aspirations, eyeballing the numbers recently generated by the Floyd Mayweather vs.Manny Pacquiao boxing superfight earlier this year. Mayweather vs. Pacquiao generated somewhere in the neighborhood of $600 million in revenue, of which, more than $200 million went to Mayweather.

With Mayweather and Pacquiao both at the end of their careers when they fought, whereas McGregor is only 27 years old and likely hasn’t neared his peak.

“I’m catching up. I’m only 27,” he said after defeating Aldo. “Dem old Mutha (expletive) are 40 before they got that on. I’m only warming up!”