Ultimate Halloween Horror Film Thread

Piff Henderson

Stage Manager of Stage Managers
BGOL Investor
In recognition of Friday the 13th and Halloween month, here are my top 13 favorite horror films (Friday the 13th not included).

13) Dawn of the Dead (2004):
S64cO.jpg

I don't always watch zombie films but when I do, I watch Dawn of the Dead. It's crazy to think this came out nearly 20 years ago. It's still my favorite "serious" zombie film.

12) An American Werewolf in London (1981):
S64Qr.jpg

An 80s classic comedy horror by John Landis. The special effects still look fresh especially compared to much of the awful CGI nowadays and the humor still hits. Not to mention one of the best soundtracks in a horror movie next to Tales from the Hood.

11) From Dusk till Dawn (1996)
S64ce.jpg

This used to be one of my favorite films to watch with my big brother. We had all the lines downpact. This is the most quotable horror film. Plus the twist: this shit starts out like a Tarantino-Rodriguez crime film only to switch to horror out of left field. A wild ass ride and of the funnest horror films of all time.

10) The Fly (1986):
S64cT.jpg

Body horror is a genre I want to like but the films usually fall short. Videodrome and a few others hit the mark but none does it as well The Fly IMO. When Jeff Goldblum's Seth Bundle goes from top physical conditioning to a living pile of liquifying flesh in a matter of an hour or so, your own skin begins to crawl.

9) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984):
S64cg.jpg

Slasher films generally aren't my favorite but A Nightmare on Elm Street is too badass not to include. Freddy is the horror villain OG and still fun as hell to watch.

8) Come Play (2020):
S644X.md.jpg

Another new entry. This is easily the best film I've seen that utilizes modern tech like the Internet and mobile devices effectively in driving the horror elements. Other films have tried to do this but most just end up being really dopey (e.g. Grimcutty).

7) The Babadook (2014):
S64cD.jpg

A trope that's becoming more in more common in horror is family trauma being a factor, if not the main factor, in haunting the protagonist. The "true monster" is trauma as it were. Two more recent films, Smile and Talk to Me both utilize this trope but The Babadook is the first that I can think of to have gotten it right.

6) Candyman (1992):
S64cF.jpg

This is the horror film my peers talked about the most back in the 90s. Kids were always claiming they said the name in front of the mirror five times and saw something. I was never brave enough to try and I didn't actually watch it until years later. Crazy to think it's from the mind of a British dude Clive Barker the creator of Hellraiser.

5) Tales from the Hood (1995):
S648v.jpg

This was one my grandma's favorite films. She loved it. Consequently it was the first horror film I ever watched as we watched it every weekend when we went over my grandma's house. Great soundtrack especially Spice 1's "Born II Die" which still listen from time to time. A horror film with a heavy handed message but still superbly done.

4) Aliens (1986):
S64cl.jpg

Probably one of the few times a sequel beats the original and that's saying something because the original is a bonafide classic. Still the best sci-fi horror film ever made. I'm still waiting for a film to take the crown but I won't hold my breath.

3) The Exorcist (1973):
S64c2.jpg

This film has to be on every horror aficionado's list. This classic demonic possession horror just gets better with age. The mastery of horror displayed here hasn't really been duplicated much less surpassed in 50 years.

2) Talk to Me (2022):
S64WY.jpg

The top horror of 2022 without a doubt. I didn't think Australia could produce a horror film this good. This shit was a disturbing mindfuck rolled in an anus-clinching horror. Not to be missed

1) It Follows (2014):
S64WW.jpg

My favorite on the list. The movie's subdued style with a minimal soundtrack and few jump scares just gives more attention to the evil which was absolutely unrelenting. I give the film credit for not falling for the tired cliché of revealing the monster's true form which, IMO, detracted from Smile, a similar film.

Feel free to shit on my list and post your own. I want a raucous ass discussion on this thread. I know this list is controversial as much for want it omits as it is for want it includes.

@playahaitian @Helico-pterFunk @blackbull1970 @0utsyder @ThaBurgerPimp @geechiedan

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

crossovernegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

dbluesun

Rising Star
Platinum Member
In recognition of Friday the 13th and Halloween month, here are my top 13 favorite horror films (Friday the 13th not included).

13) Dawn of the Dead (2004):
S64cO.jpg

I don't always watch zombie films but when I do, I watch Dawn of the Dead. It's crazy to think this came out nearly 20 years ago. It's still my favorite "serious" zombie film.

12) An American Werewolf in London (1981):
S64Qr.jpg

An 80s classic comedy horror by John Landis. The special effects still look fresh especially compared to much of the awful CGI nowadays and the humor still hits. Not to mention one of the best soundtracks in a horror movie next to Tales from the Hood.

11) From Dusk till Dawn (1996)
S64ce.jpg

This used to be one of my favorite films to watch with my big brother. We had all the lines downpact. This is the most quotable horror film. Plus the twist: this shit starts out like a Tarantino-Rodriguez crime film only to switch to horror out of left field. A wild ass ride and of the funnest horror films of all time.

10) The Fly (1986):
S64cT.jpg

Body horror is a genre I want to like but the films usually fall short. Videodrome and a few others hit the mark but none does it as well The Fly IMO. When Jeff Goldblum's Seth Bundle goes from top physical conditioning to a living pile of liquifying flesh in a matter of an hour or so, your own skin begins to crawl.

9) A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984):
S64cg.jpg

Slasher films generally aren't my favorite but A Nightmare on Elm Street is too badass not to include. Freddy is the horror villain OG and still fun as hell to watch.

8) Come Play (2020):
S644X.md.jpg

Another new entry. This is easily the best film I've seen that utilizes modern tech like the Internet and mobile devices effectively in driving the horror elements. Other films have tried to do this but most just end up being really dopey (e.g. Grimcutty).

7) The Babadook (2014):
S64cD.jpg

A trope that's becoming more in more common in horror is family trauma being a factor, if not the main factor, in haunting the protagonist. The "true monster" is trauma as it were. Two more recent films, Smile and Talk to Me both utilize this trope but The Babadook is the first that I can think of to have gotten it right.

6) Candyman (1992):
S64cF.jpg

This is the horror film my peers talked about the most back in the 90s. Kids were always claiming they said the name in front of the mirror five times and saw something. I was never brave enough to try and I didn't actually watch it until years later. Crazy to think it's from the mind of a British dude Clive Barker the creator of Hellraiser.

5) Tales from the Hood (1995):
S648v.jpg

This was one my grandma's favorite films. She loved it. Consequently it was the first horror film I ever watched as we watched it every weekend when we went over my grandma's house. Great soundtrack especially Spice 1's "Born II Die" which still listen from time to time. A horror film with a heavy handed message but still superbly done.

4) Aliens (1986):
S64cl.jpg

Probably one of the few times a sequel beats the original and that's saying something because the original is a bonafide classic. Still the best sci-fi horror film ever made. I'm still waiting for a film to take the crown but I won't hold my breath.

3) The Exorcist (1973):
S64c2.jpg

This film has to be on every horror aficionado's list. This classic demonic possession horror just gets better with age. The mastery of horror displayed here hasn't really been duplicated much less surpassed in 50 years.

2) Talk to Me (2022):
S64WY.jpg

The top horror of 2022 without a doubt. I didn't think Australia could produce a horror film this good. This shit was a disturbing mindfuck rolled in an anus-clinching horror. Not to be missed

1) It Follows (2014):
S64WW.jpg

My favorite on the list. The movie's subdued style with a minimal soundtrack and few jump scares just gives more attention to the evil which was absolutely unrelenting. I give the film credit for not falling for the tired cliché of revealing the monster's true form which, IMO, detracted from Smile, a similar film.

Feel free to shit on my list and post your own. I want a raucous ass discussion on this thread. I know this list is controversial as much for want it omits as it is for want it includes.

@playahaitian @Helico-pterFunk @blackbull1970 @0utsyder @ThaBurgerPimp @geechiedan
i'm gonna give It Follows a shot right now
but i ran across JD's revenge looking for It Followst
gonna watch that first

Last edited:

therealjondoe

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Here's some gems:

Dope foreign joints:
Terrified
Where Evil Lurks
Satan's Slaves