What is your relationship with books?

cocobeauty

Rising Star
Super Moderator
I thought it was Dr. Truth that had a special association with books?

I'm from the old board amd remember Halo, but can't remember the connection
Halo was supposedly in medical school if I recall correctly and the board said prove it by posting his books, and everyone is still waiting.

By now he should be in his first or 2nd year of residency lol

Mylansky

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When I was 15 I saw this old dusty book in a library. I never returned after reading it.
md13985288979.jpg

roots69

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
During the warm season, I read how to books or pdf's on the net. But when its winter and the sun goes down at 430pm, I dig into sum books and spend my winter feeding my brain.. Heres the sad part, I know many of kats that havent picked up a book since high school! So all the information they get is from the tel lie vision!! Its no wonder, I get the fluoride stare when I bring up certain topics!! Trust me, Ive tried almost everything to get them to read, even downloaded audio books just to get them interested.. After awhile I just give up on them and move on!! But I have figured out how the corporation is able to pull off anything and no one even think twice!! Anyway, read, read, read and if you have kids, cousins, grandkids or other family members get them to get into reading!! They had laws on top of laws to keep copper color people from reading, they know the truth is between the lines and they didnt want us to figure it out!! Read, read, read,, Brotha's!!!

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
At this point, I read A LOT, but I only read things that can assist me in making more money. I have no patience for much else. I used to read all KIND of stuff. I remember I bought a book on John Coltrane and Bill Gates off of Amazon, and read both in a week. Those weren't little books, either.

I miss the days when I was into knowledge for knowledge sake.
I have the patience, however, this criminal enterprise does not allow me much of the time...hence to your point, I read things that will help me build an efficient path to monetary gain.

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I still have a bookshelf but haven't bought any books lately since I'm able to get them in PDF form, read them on the train, etc.
The library is nearby so I give it a few months between visits and grab about 3 or 4 books. Usually it's professional development stuff, black history, computers and whatever I find interesting. I never stop reading.
When it goes dark...what do we do? I am with you on the space saving, however, I need have it in my possession for when it goes dark and it will.

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
During the warm season, I read how to books or pdf's on the net. But when its winter and the sun goes down at 430pm, I dig into sum books and spend my winter feeding my brain.. Heres the sad part, I know many of kats that havent picked up a book since high school! So all the information they get is from the tel lie vision!! Its no wonder, I get the fluoride stare when I bring up certain topics!! Trust me, Ive tried almost everything to get them to read, even downloaded audio books just to get them interested.. After awhile I just give up on them and move on!! But I have figured out how the corporation is able to pull off anything and no one even think twice!! Anyway, read, read, read and if you have kids, cousins, grandkids or other family members get them to get into reading!! They had laws on top of laws to keep copper color people from reading, they know the truth is between the lines and they didnt want us to figure it out!! Read, read, read,, Brotha's!!!
Asé, asé, asé, Amun!

DragonXJC

I joke and I know things
BGOL Investor
I keep an old tablet strictly for Kindle, it only goes on the internet to buy more books.
Read before bed it's like melatonin and if I have time in the morning I do the same.
I retain none of the information but I'm hoping Limitless pills become a thing and I become the smartest BGOLer alive!

BigATLslim

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I read physical books at work when I'm on my break.

Because I deal with the personal health information for thousands of people a day, I'm not allowed to use my phone or any device with a camera inside my building, so I usually opt to read a book on my break.

I usually go through about two books a month, reading about 90 minutes a day.

I'm mostly into autobiographies/biographies of entertainers, pimps and drug dealers.

I've read Scarface's book, Jay-z, Mike Tyson, Trick Daddy, Bernie Mac, Luther Campbell, Rick James, Kevin Hart, Bobby Brown, the BMF book, Pimp C book, Iceberg Slim, Darlene Ortiz, a few others. I also look at books about cars and astrology.

I'm probably going to switch to free digital books, tho. I'm looking to be more frugal from this point on, and I could probably save a couple hundred dollars a year just reading free books.
Fam, whenever you purchase from an African press, invest. Whenever you steal from a European press, as you were.
I'm digital with everything else but for some reason I can't do digital books. Easier to mark space, stay involved - just the page turning - I dunno. Plus they look so good on a shelf lol. I love books.
Listen, they are very valuable accessories for interior decorating. I'm an earth sign...I gotta touch.
I need the WEIGHT of a book.

*two cents*
This...right...here. It is a bit of ego, however, when that mofo get into 300, 400, 500 pages...I WANT to telegraph how I get down so the other person does not waste THEIR time...with me.
I don't consider this real academic learning and reading here. This is moreso fast food browsing . I need a physical book and quiet space for academic learning.
Use this framework. View BGOL as a tool. For a portion of us, it is fast food browsing. For others like myself, my Black Liberation journey started here, right amongst ass and titties. If it was not for BGOL, I would be an assimilant versus a militant of global white insecurity.
I love books... have a nice library of physical books & digital.
Audio books are most efficient & practical.
Audiobooks is set to be a $30 billion industry by 2030. For reference, it's to end "this" year at $5.9. One word: opportunity.
For me, it's almost like a sense of accomplishment having a shelf full of books and being able to say "I read all of those", and "this the kind of stuff I'm into."

Having all your books on a device, while convenient and within the same concept, it just doesn't feel the same.
This right here.

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
When it goes dark...what do we do? I am with you on the space saving, however, I need have it in my possession for when it goes dark and it will.

I started buying small pocket size versions of books like the Art of War to keep so that they are portable. Thrift stores have landed me some good books to read. I haven't started reading them yet but they are here. I especially want to crack open my SAS Survival Handbook still wrapped in plastic.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I have alot of books and promised myself that I would start back reading more now that I have more time on my hands....

I usually buy books when I hear someone I respect recommend a certain book or on a subject that I am trying to learn more about....80% of my books that I have now are mostly on black history and culture....I've been buying more books around finances and understanding the stock market..

I also like to give books away to people that I am cool with that may not be very knowledgeable in a particular subject matter...

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My relationship is a life long love affair, something that started early in my life as a kid with 2 of his own sets of encyclopedias my parents bought for me and I constantly read.

Reading, lifting weights, playing sports, writing, and chasing women are things that stayed constant throughout my life when other things came and went.

Making time for reading has become more challenging while having young kids under 3, running a business and having limited time to spend with my wife but I prioritize time blocking some time to read early in the morning before journaling....late at night before bed and in spaces where I have idle time ( waiting in the doctors office, Travelling by plane or train, at dealership getting car serviced etc.)

I spend too much damn time looking at screens so I don't do Kindle, E-books etc. Much prefer to have a physical book where I can dog ear, highlight, take notes, store in my personal library on my shelves etc.

My collection is Mainly Black history, African history, General history, Finances, business, economics, Personal development, Anthropology.
Currently reading "Stolen Focus" by Johan Hari, "The Grift" and "Built to Sell" by John Warrilow... Haven't read too much Fiction in recent years but I'm making an effort to include more especially at night time to calm the mind and foster more creativity. Recently finished "Nigeria Jones" by Ibi Zaboi and "Parable of the Sower" by Octavia butler.

My kids are under 3 but they have a decent little library going for themselves and my wife and i have already instilled a habit of reading to them and it looks like they have an interest in learning and seeking knowledge through books...also strengthening their vocabulary

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I started buying small pocket size versions of books like the Art of War to keep so that they are portable. Thrift stores have landed me some good books to read. I haven't started reading them yet but they are here. I especially want to crack open my SAS Survival Handbook still wrapped in plastic.
You ain’t never lied about that SAS book. That should be on everyone’s book shelf.

I have a SAS book and a Boy Scouts book. Just good to have in case some shit goes down.
A lot of useful information in those books

Rah

Star
BGOL Investor
I’ve always loved reading. Just finished:

1. Robert E. Lee & Me
2. Whiteness of Wealth

Currently reading:

1. Brief
2. Grant
3. The Deficit Myth

Next on the list:

1. 100 Year Marathon (China’s Strategy)
2. Same as Ever
3. The Kidnapping Club

I try to read at least a hour everyday. So many books, with a finite amount of time.

Last edited:

rude_dog

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I’ve always loved reading. Just finished:

1. Robert E. Lee & Me
2. Whiteness of Wealth

Currently reading:

1. Brief
2. Grant
3. The Deficit Myth

Next on the list:

1. 100 Year Marathon (China’s Strategy)
2. Same as Ever
3. The Kidnapping Club

I try to read at least a hour everyday. So many books, with a finite amount of time.
Read Robert E. Lee and Grant. Great books