‘Power’ Prequel ‘Raising Kanan’ discussion

MasonPH650

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My wife and I could never get into the original series. One Saturday we came across the first episode of Kanan without realizing what it was. It was the scene where Kanan was bullied at the playground and Raq sent him back to handle his business. After that they planned Buggin Out by Tribe during a time jump and I was hooked.

I was a college student in NYC in the early 90s and Low End Theory was groundbreaking in the city when it dropped in '91. The music, settings, and clothing of this show capture that period in NY like nothing I've seen that wasn't actually filmed during that time. I lived in South Ozone Park in '93, which borders South Jamaica, and watching this show is like a time machine.

Duece

Black Caligula
BGOL Investor
My wife and I could never get into the original series. One Saturday we came across the first episode of Kanan without realizing what it was. It was the scene where Kanan was bullied at the playground and Raq sent him back to handle his business. After that they planned Buggin Out by Tribe during a time jump and I was hooked.

I was a college student in NYC in the early 90s and Low End Theory was groundbreaking in the city when it dropped in '91. The music, settings, and clothing of this show capture that period in NY like nothing I've seen that wasn't actually filmed during that time. I lived in South Ozone Park in '93, which borders South Jamaica, and watching this show is like a time machine.

Whoever does fashion, sets, and props for this show is a fucking genius. The wardrobe is on point, haircuts, hairstyles, make-up, and even the facial hair period correct (niggas walking around with mustaches, no goatees, and beards like today). You are immersed in the early 90s in this show.

I also tend to wonder if it's period accuracy is because 50 Cent himself was a teenager during this period and maybe he pushes hard for it to be accurate.

Fresh1911

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Are they gonna show hint at showing Ghost & Tommy at some point? It would be nice if they kinda incorporated a young Ghost & Tommy running the deliveries for Kanan. They did say they use to hustle for Kanan when they were younger.

MasonPH650

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Whoever does fashion, sets, and props for this show is a fucking genius. The wardrobe is on point, haircuts, hairstyles, make-up, and even the facial hair period correct (niggas walking around with mustaches, no goatees, and beards like today). You are immersed in the early 90s in this show.

I also tend to wonder if it's period accuracy is because 50 Cent himself was a teenager during this period and maybe he pushes hard for it to be accurate.
Indeed, Duece. I never lose the feeling of immersion. Feels like it could have been shot in the 90s.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Are they gonna show hint at showing Ghost & Tommy at some point? It would be nice if they kinda incorporated a young Ghost & Tommy running the deliveries for Kanan. They did say they use to hustle for Kanan when they were younger.
Tommy was hinted at in a scene where his name was in graffiti

en7krmce2x7c1.jpeg

Dude they hire people who have degrees in costume design. 50 Cent aint involved in that shit. Come on.

Bawse Nigguh

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

en7krmce2x7c1.jpeg

Dude they hire people who have degrees in costume design. 50 Cent aint involved in that shit. Come on.
Naw bro… I grew up during this era in south Jamaica Queens. I got pics of me and my crew on Jamaica Avenue,at Green acres Mall in front of Gertz Mall everything is 100% the same as it was in the early 90s. I’m very familiar with 50 Cent way before his fame shit everything there on the show is 100% real. And it takes a real queens Ngiga to know. Most of y’all who watch the show who’s not from Queens really don’t understand how accurate everything is.

Duece

Black Caligula
BGOL Investor

en7krmce2x7c1.jpeg

You missed the point,

I know there are people with degrees in fashion, history and other things that are experts in making period pieces look as accurate as possible. A quick YouTube search can bring up historians who can expertly point out if an archer from the Middle Ages is holding his bow correctly in a Robin Hood movie.

My point for bringing up 50 Cent, is that he and the fictional character Kanan are the same age and 50 came of age during this period, and because of that, I can imagine that 50 probably pushed for the show to be as accurate to the time period as possible and experts were brought in.

Of course, 50 is not on set, pointing out anachronisms but I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't giving some input.

King_of_Posts

Rising Star
Registered

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Naw bro… I grew up during this era in south Jamaica Queens. I got pics of me and my crew on Jamaica Avenue,at Green acres Mall in front of Gertz Mall everything is 100% the same as it was in the early 90s. I’m very familiar with 50 Cent way before his fame shit everything there on the show is 100% real. And it takes a real queens Ngiga to know. Most of y’all who watch the show who’s not from Queens really don’t understand how accurate everything is.
No it doesn't. Omg. People get paid to do this kinda thing dude. You have no exposure to the library these people have access to. It isn't that crazy man.

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
ghost and tommy were younger than kanan he is 16 now?
we will meet breeze first

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
also kanan killin juke is weird
he would never shoot her over ghost kid
Yes. The relationship that Juke and Kanan have on Raising Kanan could never turn into how Kanan is on Ghost.
The writers are beyond fucking stupid. It is insulting.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
also kanan killin juke is weird
he would never shoot her over ghost kid
I said that shit last season....I look at Raising Kanan as a reboot for that Kanan character because there's no way these characters turn into the characters we saw in Power. Especially Kanan character.