‘Power’ Prequel ‘Raising Kanan’ discussion

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Saw it early this morning. Dam good job on sets, scenes, and wardrobe. Looks like they have a decent budget and everything looked time period appropriate. The mother character looks awesome. Kinda looks like a 50 cent vanity piece where he retells and romanticizes his own life story tho.

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
Saw it early this morning. Dam good job on sets, scenes, and wardrobe. Looks like they have a decent budget and everything looked time period appropriate. The mother character looks awesome. Kinda looks like a 50 cent vanity piece where he retells and romanticizes his own life story tho.

Probably the most unbiased opinion in here,

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Don't take this the wrong way because I'm not an internet gangster, but her name is Jukebox so I am unsure why you think it is not plausible that she would be able to sing; nicknames usually originate from something real. In terms of Kanan, in the mid 80's to 90's there were many intelligent kids that went to the streets for one reason or another. I have a friend whose family was very similar to portrayed to one in this show. He got picked up in a raid and it was almost curtains. I don't know if someone in the crew stepped up for him, but he made it to college and is now successful.
I get all that….I’m just saying how they were written on Power the characters aren’t consistent. It’s not a complain though. If they hadn’t done that I wouldn’t even watch it. Those characters sucked on Power.

Jukebox name had nothing to do with her singing….as a matter of fact I don’t even know if they even mentioned Jukebox and Kanan were cousins though I could be wrong about that.

Im not knocking the show in just saying I’m glad they revamped these characters and actually starting over with them as opposed trying to tie them to the characters they were on Power.

madgoose

International
International Member
I get all that….I’m just saying how they were written on Power the characters aren’t consistent. It’s not a complain though. If they hadn’t done that I wouldn’t even watch it. Those characters sucked on Power.

Jukebox name had nothing to do with her singing….as a matter of fact I don’t even know if they even mentioned Jukebox and Kanan were cousins though I could be wrong about that.

Im not knocking the show in just saying I’m glad they revamped these characters and actually starting over with them as opposed trying to tie them to the characters they were on Power.

Jukebox's name was definitely explained in the original Power. I remember because it was bugging me why her name was Jukebox and if I remember correctly it was explained during a narrated part. She is called Jukebox because of her ability to replicate any song on the radio/out there.

I don't believe that there was ever a reference to Kanan and Jukebox being relatives though. It was left open to interpretation and what was implied was she was just one of them from "the area" back in the day and grew together.

What did surprise me at the end of the episode was seeing a credit to Proctor, I fell asleep whilst watching it the first time, so I watched one half and then the other and missed who was Proctor.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They did mention that Jukebox was Kanan's cousin in power.

People change over time. So you are now watching the beginning of these characters?

What's the problem?

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They did mention that Jukebox was Kanan's cousin in power.

People change over time. So you are now watching the beginning of these characters?

What's the problem?

Did you even read my post? I said I'm enjoying that they are rewriting these characters.....that means there's no problem....the fuck? :lol:

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man you tripping.

When did we have the time in Jukebox's role in Power for them to take the time to explain how she got her nickname? The show wasn't about her.

Now that we have the time and are expounding on the characters origin, well, we gonna see their origins. No?

Just saw it….not bad….you can tell this isn’t no damn prequel because now I’m suppose to believe Kanan was smart and Jukebox could sing her ass off and liked to fuck white girls lol.

It got my attention though.
It’s another Power series where the best characters aren’t the main ones.
Main actress who plays is mom did a great job.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Jukebox's name was definitely explained in the original Power. I remember because it was bugging me why her name was Jukebox and if I remember correctly it was explained during a narrated part. She is called Jukebox because of her ability to replicate any song on the radio/out there.

I don't believe that there was ever a reference to Kanan and Jukebox being relatives though. It was left open to interpretation and what was implied was she was just one of them from "the area" back in the day and grew together.

What did surprise me at the end of the episode was seeing a credit to Proctor, I fell asleep whilst watching it the first time, so I watched one half and then the other and missed who was Proctor.

When I google about her name this is what comes up:

• Jukebox is called that way by her friends because she can switches and imitate the voices of some celebrities.
I feel like you might be right though because that explanation seems like it could be more legit...

Maybe it was one of those things left up to interoperation....what's crazy though is for some reason I felt like Ghost had more history with Jukebox than Kanan did.....never thought they were cousins or related or day 1's.....

I didn't see nothing about Proctor maybe I missed it?

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I read your post.

They are "rewriting" the characters.

They are expanding them.

You acting like you got tricked the first time around.

I am pointing something out to you.

Who said there is a problem?

Are you high or something or are you are stupid bitch?

Did you even read my post? I said I'm enjoying that they are rewriting these characters.....that means there's no problem....the fuck? :lol:

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man you tripping.

When did we have the time in Jukebox's role in Power for them to take the time to explain how she got her nickname? The show wasn't about her.

Now that we have the time and are expounding on the characters origin, well, we gonna see their origins. No?
Huh? They DID explain her name in Power. :lol: Are you just waking up or some shit? :lol:

kirkout

DCPG
Registered
I am not a fan of the show or 50 Cent’s character especially how he escaped that fire. Lol. Fifty will never be apart of anything financially if he can’t put his face on it.

As far as this show Raising Kanan, I think it will do extremely well because it looks like they will be focusing on the late 80’s and early 90’s era.Yhe millennials and GenZ are fienin to know about this era that their parents and Aunts and Uncles talk about. This is the golden era. This show will do well.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I read your post.

They are expanding them.

You acting like you got tricked the first time around.

I am pointing something out to you.

Who said there is a problem?

Are you high or something or are you are stupid bitch?
You the one acting retarded......you asking me is there a "problem" I just flat out told you there wasn't.....goh damn....nigga are you slow? I'm GIVING THE SHOW A COMPLIMENT you don't gotta Stan for this bullshit first episode was good calm the fuck down. Go argue with your kids.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I am not a fan of the show or 50 Cent’s character especially how he escaped that fire. Lol. Fifty will never be apart of anything financially if he can’t put his face on it.

As far as this show Raising Kanan, I think it will do extremely well because it looks like they will be focusing on the late 80’s and early 90’s era.Yhe millennials and GenZ are fienin to know about this era that their parents and Aunts and Uncles talk about. This is the golden era. This show will do well.
Long as they continue to make the show about the characters and not solely about Kanan and as long as we don't have to see 50 Cent act it should do well.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My nigga you are high. We can discuss tomorrow. Cause you sure aint reading and understanding shit tonight.
No need to discuss shit if you can't comprehend what's being said. Just muster up whatever explanation your mind can come up with and I'll just co-sign that. :lol:

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nigga you saying the re-writing the characters. They aint.
They are expounding on the characters.
Do you not understand the difference?

You the one acting retarded......you asking me is there a "problem" I just flat out told you there wasn't.....goh damn....nigga are you slow? I'm GIVING THE SHOW A COMPLIMENT you don't gotta Stan for this bullshit first episode was good calm the fuck down. Go argue with your kids.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nigga you saying the re-writing the characters. They aint.
They are expounding on the characters.
Do you not understand the difference?
Do you understand that I think they are rewriting the characters to give them more depth. If you disagree oh the fuck well. Funny though you just said this shit a minute ago...

I read your post.

You must be off your meds so I'm gonna chill...you got it champ.

kirkout

DCPG
Registered
Long as they continue to make the show about the characters and not solely about Kanan and as long as we don't have to see 50 Cent act it should do well.
Exactly, I hate that bamas character on the show. Once they pulled that negro survived the fire I was through. 50 Cent will never be a quiet investor. I wanna know the looks on the writers face when 50 told them he wanted back into the show. Lol. I bet one of the writers chuckled and was “like this nigga here”. Lol

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Exactly, I hate that bamas character on the show. Once they pulled that negro survived the fire I was through. 50 Cent will never be a quiet investor. I wanna know the looks on the writers face when 50 told them he wanted back into the show. Lol. I bet one of the writers chuckled and was “like this nigga here”. Lol
I'm shocked they did it......that shit made no damn sense..he all of a sudden turned into Michael Myers and shit and can survive that shit.....

That's one thing about Power man they had some shitty characters aside from Ghost. Then they started writing him shitty out of nowhere just to kill him off.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
"Rewriting" is not the correct word.

If you don't understand that then something is off with you.

A normal person would just say "Oh shit you right, I see what you mean".

They were always cousins and since Power was not about the story of Jukebox there is no need for them to explain that she could sing.

She entered the show Power to follow up on a story arch with Kanan and Tyreek not to be the star of the show.

Do you understand that I think they are rewriting the characters to give them more depth. If you disagree oh the fuck well. Funny though you just said this shit a minute ago...

You must be off your meds so I'm gonna chill...you got it champ.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
"Rewriting" is not the correct word.

If you don't understand that then something is off with you.

A normal person would just say "Oh shit you right, I see what you mean".

They were always cousins and since Power was not about the story of Jukebox there is no need for them to explain that she could sing.

She entered the show Power to follow up on a story arch with Kanan and Tyreek not to be the star of the show.
I ain't trying to hear nothing you talking about.....you just admitted you didn't even know they mentioned where name came from so you just arguing to argue.....

GuessWho21212

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The show is good, hopefully it gets back to the roots of Power -- gratuitous nudes, violence, and gangster shit, because the Tariq spinoff is more PG-13 rated. The best part about this series is that it presents the best opportunity to build on the world that was setup in the original Power and provide viewers with answers to a lot of backstory between characters. The gamble is that it is set so far back that they need to get through at least 3-4 seasons before the teenage Kanan story meets teenage Ghost & Tommy. Remember in the series finale of Power, that flashback scene was set in '96, 5 years after Kanan begins in '91. 50 Cent has a lot of clout at Starz right now, but that can always change, it's a big risk to plan a network TV series out that far ahead. If the network switches management and decides to go a different route, like Cinemax, the viewers are gonna be left ass out.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
BGOL Investor
When I google about her name this is what comes up:

• Jukebox is called that way by her friends because she can switches and imitate the voices of some celebrities.
I feel like you might be right though because that explanation seems like it could be more legit...

Maybe it was one of those things left up to interoperation....what's crazy though is for some reason I felt like Ghost had more history with Jukebox than Kanan did.....never thought they were cousins or related or day 1's.....

I didn't see nothing about Proctor maybe I missed it?

Yeah, in Season 4, when she kidnapped Tariq, he asked her how she got her name and she said because when she was a kid she would sing the songs on the radio and could imitate anybody. Then when he nodded off drinking lean, she sang him to sleep.

And I'm pretty sure it was mentioned Kanan and Jukebox were related when Kanan was staying with Jukebox and her girl in Season 3. I remember she was having a meeting with her crew and Kanan interrupted and one them was like "who this nigga", and she was like "he's family."

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor

That's the annoying part about it

I don't think him doing a voice over is necessary

mrdiego2020

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
ok ill say it and no i am not sexes but there really wasnt no head females in the drug game like that back in them days.i mean didnt we see this is powerbook 2? i mean everything we watch is a female role a female boss,a female leader which is cool but its not true to the time era on some of these movies.im down with the female rising but come on some things isnt right period..we seen the same character in power 2 and here it is again.same role dressed the same talked the same.i mean its cool with the fresh new people but i can tell now the writing will be the same as powerbook 2..

Bad Andy

No time for a 304
BGOL Investor
I watched it and found myself fact checking if the cars and clothes were period correct. I don’t like the fact that these niccas are putting some homo storyline in everything on TV. The mother running shit is not believable, I’m from Queens and back in those days it was all about the Tony Montana’s, Fat Cats, The Supreme Team and the Colombians in Jackson Heights. Women were in the game but he over sensationalizing his mother.

Last edited: