**** 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Tropical Storm Milton (65 mph) | Expected to Become a Major Hurricane | West Florida On Notice ****

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Kirk might hit England as a tropical storm

204925_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kirk might hit England as a tropical storm

204925_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

I had to hit the googles to see how abnormal this is:

Yes, England has experienced direct hits from tropical storms, although such events are rare. Here are some notable instances:
  1. Hurricane Charley (1986): Originally a hurricane in the Atlantic, it transitioned into a tropical storm as it moved through Ireland and Great Britain, causing significant rainfall and flooding.
  2. Hurricane Lili (1996): This storm moved across Ireland and the UK as an extratropical storm but was originally a tropical system. It produced strong winds and caused damage in parts of England.
While England does not frequently experience full-strength tropical storms as seen in other regions, it has been impacted by remnants or weakened systems that originated as tropical storms or hurricanes.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Yes, England has experienced direct hits from tropical storms, although such events are rare. Here are some notable instances:
  1. Hurricane Charley (1986): Originally a hurricane in the Atlantic, it transitioned into a tropical storm as it moved through Ireland and Great Britain, causing significant rainfall and flooding.
  2. Hurricane Lili (1996): This storm moved across Ireland and the UK as an extratropical storm but was originally a tropical system. It produced strong winds and caused damage in parts of England.
While England does not frequently experience full-strength tropical storms as seen in other regions, it has been impacted by remnants or weakened systems that originated as tropical storms or hurricanes.

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know how rare it is.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Thanks for the info. I didn’t know how rare it is.
Crazy because I was about to ask on the history of this happening

Fiya info

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The latest cycles from the GFS, ECMWF, and CMC have finally reached agreement of a storm to strike west Florida next week. Intensity of the storm is still unknown, but models are suggesting major hurricane status.

two_atl_7d0.png

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The latest cycles from the GFS, ECMWF, and CMC have finally reached agreement of a storm to strike west Florida next week. Intensity of the storm is still unknown, but models are suggesting major hurricane status.

two_atl_7d0.png

Am I trippin, or is this kinda new? Growing up I remember all the major hurricanes being in the Atlantic and hitting the easy coast. Maybe I'm just not remembering the storms that formed in the gulf and were this severe?

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor

two_atl_7d0.png

If this come anywhere near the Tampa area, I tell you they are screwed. Even though they didn’t have a direct impact from Helene……Helene still fucked them up just by passing by.

easy_b

BGOL Investor
Am I trippin, or is this kinda new? Growing up I remember all the major hurricanes being in the Atlantic and hitting the easy coast. Maybe I'm just not remembering the storms that formed in the gulf and were this severe?
climate change

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member

Yeah, Florida gets rocked regularly by hurricanes, but they are definitely more intense over the last 10 years.

easy_b

BGOL Investor
Informative article and a reminder that hurricanes are always more than the wind.

Drowning from rainfall flood waters (not storm surge) are the leading cause of deaths during hurricanes.

I was just talking about this on another message board dealing with weather. These hurricanes (especially within the last decade) are extremely wet. Also, the oceans level is running very high so you just could have a category one hurricane and it can fuck you up near the coast.

Last edited:

blackpepper

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

easy_b

BGOL Investor
If FL gets another big one just a couple weeks after the first, it just may be a wrap for their home insurance industry. Unc Sam will probably have to jump in an save them. See if they complain about it being communism.
Yep, the insurance companies are going to be like peace out…..
a890ffa123b1c2c6e2c069a3c9da20ea.gif

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor

#BREAKING: First cone is out with a Florida hurricane expected Tuesday into Wednesday across the state. Initial landfall intensity from the NHC is upper Cat 2 and near Cat 3. Next name is #Milton. Here are my thoughts as of Saturday:

1. This system is unfortunately already organizing at a quick pace over warmer than average water temps in the Gulf Mexico for October.

2. For that reason, I do agree that this will intensify into a hurricane in the days ahead. Can't rule out a Major Hurricane at peak intensity *IF* favorable ingredients come together.

3. Current highest probability for landfall is between Hernando Beach to Everglades City, which includes potential tracks through Tampa Bay or Southwest Florida. Although model changes are always possible, they will start to tighten up with greater accuracy over the next day or two. When that gradually occurs soon, we will be able to give you more specifics on local surge, wind, etc. Reminder that every storm is different in the impacts they bring and those impacts will be felt outside of the cone too.

4. IMPORTANT: Surge will again be a problem for a portion of our western Florida coastline. This is a unique and rare angle of approach from the southwest. That means that if you're on the southern side of the storm you will be getting surge to a certain degree. *CLOSEST TO THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE EYEWALL WILL GET THE HIGHEST SURGE.* That's why landfall location is important with this storm. Every mile makes a difference! If you're north of the center, your wind will be coming in from a different direction and from the land...more likely to suck the water out at landfall. Some surge is still possible north after the storm exists, but not to the level compared to those south of the center.

5. Remain calm. Now is the time this weekend to review your hurricane plan with your family or friends. Grab necessities, but don't overstock! Remember about our neighbors and others in the community. If you are told to evacuate, please do so!

You're in good hands here at WINK. I will guide you through the entire storm 24/7 from start to finish, without the hype and with information you need. Make sure to tune into WINK News for the latest all week.