Any plex users here ?

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What's your setup and how many people you got streaming your movies ?

For those who don't know what plex is

Plex lets you stream movies on your hard drive to any device that has a plex app
iOS ,android , media players , PlayStation ,Xbox
Nothing new but you can add people as a friend in plex and they can stream your movies in a nice interface like Netflix , your friends don't have to be a BGOL expert you just download the app and play a movie like Netflix

You can have up to 100 friends but if your upload speed is 10mbps that limits how many can stream at the same time

dezufnoC

Potential Star
Registered
PLex and FREENAS server is all you need for movies tv shows etc. I have about 3 peeps streaming from my Plex account. 8TB of movies/tv shows on my FreeNAS server.

K

kwazdog

I use it but I'm not hosting it. My boy has the server running on his old custom i7 gaming computer. External 5tb drive, app is running from an internal SSD. We have about 7 or 8 total users.

This is about the 5th iteration of his setup, he's got it really dialed in now. It's much faster than it was at first. My 250+ download speed helps tremendously.

kain

Professional Bastard Bum
Platinum Member
I use Plex.
I run it on a Ubuntu 14 desktop
I D/L from another Ubuntu box running a VPN.
I constantly have movies and shows in my cue.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
I use plex. I just have it on my old pc to stream stuff I get from here to two roku players and my phone. I rarely use it on my phone even after asking for help on here when it wasn't working right.

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I use Plex.
I run it on a Ubuntu 14 desktop
I D/L from another Ubuntu box running a VPN.
I constantly have movies and shows in my cue.
Something new I can learn , how do you use a VPN
i still download from torrents using Mac torrent app transmission like an animal

MurderCity

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What's your setup and how many people you got streaming your movies ?

For those who don't know what plex is

Plex lets you stream movies on your hard drive to any device that has a plex app
iOS ,android , media players , PlayStation ,Xbox
Nothing new but you can add people as a friend in plex and they can stream your movies in a nice interface like Netflix , your friends don't have to be a BGOL expert you just download the app and play a movie like Netflix

You can have up to 100 friends but if your upload speed is 10mbps that limits how many can stream at the same time

I have a:
  • Dell OptiPlex 7010 with a Core i7-3770 CPU, 8Gb of RAM and a 1Tb SSD drive as my Plex Server. It also functions as a PlayOn Server and runs GoodSync
  • 16Tb, 5 Bay Synology NAS to store my videos and music
  • My internet is a 100Mbps/20Mbps

From my testing I have been able to have 8-9 HD transcoding sessions going at one time, but because of my internet I can only stream about 5-6 things at one time to other people. I have about 35 family members and friends that have access to my server.

I also have a Seedbox (Bytesized hosting) that runs Deluge, CouchPotato, and SickRage to automate the downloading process.
  • Deluge Torrents - a web based Torrent client
  • SickRage - I tell it what TV Shows I want and it automatically finds episode torrents, has Deluge download them, then renames them and moves them to a specific folder
  • CouchPotato - basically the same as SickRage but for movies

GoodSync runs on my Plex server, every 15 minutes it connects to the Seedbox server and looks for new TV Shows and Movies that are downloaded then transfers them via SFTP to my NAS. It also kicks of a script to tell Plex to scan for new files.

I also have Plex Request Channel added to Plex which allows people on my Plex server to request TV Shows and Movies, once someone requests something it adds them to SickRage or CouchPotato for downloading.

It is pretty much like having a torrent based DVR.

kain

Professional Bastard Bum
Platinum Member
Something new I can learn , how do you use a VPN
i still download from torrents using Mac torrent app transmission like an animal
I use Torguard that control all the traffic coming into that box.
I connect to a NY server but I live in Atlanta.
I used the torrent client to D/L and I have setup a share folder to move files from one computer to another.
Torguard: https://torguard.net/

Duece

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I still use torrents to round out my collection but I'm going to learn Kodi and start leaving torrenting (or downloading) for stuff I really want.

I've been using Plex for a while now.. I started using it with my WDTV live, then when I switched from the PS3 to PC for gaming, I turned the PS3 into a media server and downloaded the Plex app (once it became free) and I also use Plex on my Amazon fire TV.

No complaints, the interface is clean, looks good and does the job..

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I use Torguard that control all the traffic coming into that box.
I connect to a NY server but I live in Atlanta.
I used the torrent client to D/L and I have setup a share folder to move files from one computer to another.
Torguard: https://torguard.net/
And you never get any copyright emails from your internet provider ?
The only time I get them is with HBO shows ,so I avoid hbo torrents
I do use a blocklist that gets updated weekly with the torrent download app

MurderCity

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I tried to get into it just before I found KODI. I see no use for it now.

If you want to just stream or only have 1 device for watching stuff then Kodi is great. I have it on my Nvidia Sheild and use it for streaming UFC PPV's.

If you want to share stuff with other people, have kids, watch things on the go, start/stop things on one device to another, convert the video format for many different devices then Plex is the way to go. Also, Plex now has an Add-on for Kodi so you can access anything on your Plex server from Kodi.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
If you want to just stream or only have 1 device for watching stuff then Kodi is great. I have it on my Nvidia Sheild and use it for streaming UFC PPV's.

If you want to share stuff with other people, have kids, watch things on the go, start/stop things on one device to another, convert the format for many different devices then Plex is the way to go. Also, Plex now has an Add-on for Kodi so you can access anything on your Plex server from Kodi.
I feel you. I just don't see a point to it now.

Have KODI on multiple tablets, and devices at home and never have trouble finding anything to watch.

Don't really download shit anymore, since KODI has all.

I see the point if you still download and want to save movies and shows and share it with folks, I just find KODI easier and less a hassle.

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have a:
  • Dell OptiPlex 7010 with a Core i7-3770 CPU, 8Gb of RAM and a 1Tb SSD drive as my Plex Server. It also functions as a PlayOn Server and runs GoodSync
  • 16Tb, 5 Bay Synology NAS to store my videos and music
  • My internet is a 100Mbps/20Mbps

From my testing I have been able to have 8-9 HD transcoding sessions going at one time, but because of my internet I can only stream about 5-6 things at one time to other people. I have about 35 family members and friends that have access to my server.

I also have a Seedbox (Bytesized hosting) that runs Deluge, CouchPotato, and SickRage to automate the downloading process.
  • Deluge Torrents - a web based Torrent client
  • SickRage - I tell it what TV Shows I want and it automatically finds episode torrents, has Deluge download them, then renames them and moves them to a specific folder
  • CouchPotato - basically the same as SickRage but for movies

GoodSync runs on my Plex server, every 15 minutes it connects to the Seedbox server and looks for new TV Shows and Movies that are downloaded then transfers them via SFTP to my NAS. It also kicks of a script to tell Plex to scan for new files.

I also have Plex Request Channel added to Plex which allows people on my Plex server to request TV Shows and Movies, once someone requests something it adds them to SickRage or CouchPotato for downloading.

It is pretty much like having a torrent based DVR.
You are a pro at this , one thing you didn't mention is if you use plexpy ?
Plexpy lets you monitor what people are streaming and you can see for example if one of your friends is sharing there login with somebody else , you see if they have multiple ip addresses

kain

Professional Bastard Bum
Platinum Member
And you never get any copyright emails from your internet provider ?
The only time I get them is with HBO shows ,so I avoid hbo torrents
I do use a blocklist that gets updated weekly with the torrent download app
I never get notices.
I use Comcast business internet
I don't think they look at the business accounts as close plus the VPN masks my activity.

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I feel you. I just don't see a point to it now.

Have KODI on multiple tablets, and devices at home and never have trouble finding anything to watch.

Don't really download shit anymore, since KODI has all.

I see the point if you still download and want to save movies and shows and share it with folks, I just find KODI easier and less a hassle.
If you have nobody to share movies with then plex is not for you
I share mine with family who don't know any BGOL tech and can't get kodi on their own

kain

Professional Bastard Bum
Platinum Member
I have the Icefilms and Primewire apps running on my plex server also

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
If you have nobody to share movies with then plex is not for you
I share mine with family who don't know any BGOL tech and can't get kodi on their own
Lolz, you're better than me man. If you're not up on KODI by now, I can't help you nor will I let you stream from my Library.

Ain't trying to have my PC on at all times just because you want to watch something in my library.

Kick rocks!!

Reactions: LSN

MurderCity

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You are a pro at this , one thing you didn't mention is if you use plexpy ?
Plexpy lets you monitor what people are streaming and you can see for example if one of your friends is sharing there login with somebody else , you see if they have multiple ip addresses

Yup, I use PlexPy as well, its a great app.

Bytesized Hosting provides it as one of the apps you can install. They have about 25 apps you can install on the server including the ones I mentioned above as well as rTorrent, Murmur, Sonarr, Plex, BTSync, OwnCloud, Syncthing, Headphones (like SickRage for Music), NZBGet, Sabnzbd, PyLoad, Pydio, and more.

LSN

Phat booty lover.
BGOL Investor
Lolz, you're better than me man. If you're not up on KODI by now, I can't help you nor will I let you stream from my Library.

Ain't trying to have my PC on at all times just because you want to watch something in my library.

Kick rocks!!

yep...sounds like a way to get caught up

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Kick rocks!!
I like having a digital library of movies so I don't mind downloading , I have a 200mb download speed plan so I can download a movie in 3 minutes
If I wasn't doing this I probably would be buying blurays every week , I still buy blurays from time to time, last bluray movie I bought was mad max fury road

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
I like having a digital library of movies so I don't mind downloading , I have a 200mb download speed plan so I can download a movie in 3 minutes
If I wasn't doing this I probably would be buying blurays every week , I still buy blurays from time to time, last bluray movie I bought was mad max fury road
I have the 200mbps plan myself, and still would rather stream than download.

I don't own one BluRay film, however, I'm waiting for more movies to be released on UHD BR to make use of my new Xbox One S and 4K TV. Will probably only buy film collections though.

MurderCity

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
yep...sounds like a way to get caught up

Plex uses SSL, its secure. Plex requires a username and password to login as well as a PIN for each user account.

I have my user account then I have 3 managed accounts. Adults, Teens and Kids. Adults and Teens have a 4 digit PIN. Adults can see all movies, Teens is limited to TV Shows and Movies rated PG13 and Kids is limited to G rated TV Shows and Movies.

This way I can give access to people like my nieces and nephews and make sure they don't watch things they are not supposed to.

bwb

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So is plex really only beneficial for people who want to allow other people access to a server of media that you maintain? Or is there any benefit to using PLEX as a single user?

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
So is plex really only beneficial for people who want to allow other people access to a server of media that you maintain? Or is there any benefit to using PLEX as a single user?
you can watch your content from anywhere, as long as your pc is on.
I had plex a few years ago, when i used to download torrents. Had about 4 or 5 of my boys streaming from me. It was cool for the most part. But with all the streaming services, there isn't as much use for it. Like someone said, if you want all the surround sound and stuff, use plex and torrents. If you don't care about that, just stream.

and plex is not just for movies, you can stream music as well. pics too.

MurderCity

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I have a huge collection of TV Shows (8k episodes), Music (34k songs), and Movies (1200). It automatically downloads all the cover art, backgrounds, movie info and gives it a nice user interface like Netflix.

Allows me to search, filter and sort everything. So I can have it filter by Director and add Quentin Tarantino and have all his movies I have pop-up. I can also pull up collections, like Marvel and it will show all the Marvel movies I have.

You can start a show on one device, stop it, then pick it up right where you left off on another device. Also keeps track of what is watched and unwatched.

Has channels like Comedy Central, History, ABC, NBC, Fox, etc.. so I can watch shows on them right from there website.

I can email or click a special bookmark that adds the video on webpages to my "Watch Later" list so I can view them on the big screen without having to find it again and cast it.

I can add playlists, not just for Music but Movies and TV Shows. I have one playlist that has a ton of sitcoms on it (Big Bang Theory, Scrubs, That 70s Show, Bernie Mac, HIMYM, Martin, Black'ish, Modern Family, etc), click shuffle and you get your own customized TBS-like station. Also have another one with Dramas like Law & Order SVU, Bones, and House that i let shuffle too.

It can automatically convert a file on the fly so it is in a format that your device can play, so no having to worry about making sure you get an MP4 version, or having to convert an older AVI file to be able to play it. It can also automatically convert files as they are added to have them ready for you as MP4. Can also convert and sync your media to a device for offline use.

They are adding a DVR too it now.

I have 3 sub accounts with 4 digit PIN's on them. Adult, Teens and Kids. The Adult has everything, Teens up to PG13, and Kids is only G rated. aka Parental Controls. That way I can give younger family access without worrying about them watching movies they shouldn't.

The Premium Music section does Audio Fingerprinting, shows Lyrics, Mood Mixes, Plex Mixes, Sync playlists, and play music videos if available for that song.

Automatic picture uploading from your cell phone and facial tagging.

Kodi is great for streaming, Plex is for the hardcore media aficionado...

Last edited:

sharkbait28

Unionize & Prepare For Automation
International Member
Do yall remember when brotha BenQ used to respond strictly with emojis? My man stringing sentences together and shit now #proud :lol:

ilikebigbutts

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i thought about using plex but i am too selfish with sharing my content. people who aske me about getting free stuff i turn on to kodi. but i will eventually use it when i get around to setting up my own server.