Any plex users here ?

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Can anyone help me get it to automatically download captions? I've signed up for the opensubtitles.org and signed into it in my media server settings, but it never finds any subtitle stream.

METALFACE

Rising Star
OG Investor
With the way things are headed on the Net Neutrality front I've decided to set up a Plex Server. I used to have tons of movies, they have still be on DVDs here somewhere but my Mac died a few years back and lost a lot.

What's the best way to rebuild my library of shows and movies. Torrents? Any alternatives besides ripping my DVD collection?

wayne

Star
BGOL Investor
I use plex to manage my local media. Also, if you use the Channels feature in plex, you can stream basically anything you want, similar to how Kodi works.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
With the way things are headed on the Net Neutrality front I've decided to set up a Plex Server. I used to have tons of movies, they have still be on DVDs here somewhere but my Mac died a few years back and lost a lot.

What's the best way to rebuild my library of shows and movies. Torrents? Any alternatives besides ripping my DVD collection?

i would not use a torrent right now unless you have a VPN and it is legit.... I would slow build through downloads in the Movie thread. I would also suggest getting a good video Ripper add on... and then hit up putlocker for your movie. I use Video professional downloader and Skyload.

I go to movie streaming site like Putlocker... find a 1080p version of a movie and I rip it. It works good for movies. Series are a little trickier.

MurderCity

Rising Star
Registered

For me, I use a seedbox. They use torrents (and usenet), but they have apps that automatically download files for you though. Costs about $15/Mon, but I have no worries from ISP's, but it plus Plex really is a Cloud DVR.

I use bytesized hosting, they provide many web apps (about 25 of them) that you can install, but i mainly use 4...

• Deluge to download torrents that are passed to it from the follow following apps
  • SickRage to search and find TV shows I specify. It then hands the torrent it finds to Deluge to download it. I tell it I want Game of Thrones, whenever a new episode airs, it knows and automatically downloads it.
  • CouchPotato, same as SickRage but for movies
  • Headphones, same as SickRage but for music

Each of them runs in a web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, whatever...), so you don't have to install anything on your PC. The only thing I installed is GoodSync to use Secure FTP (hides your downloading of the vids from your ISP) to transfer it to my Plex Server.

This is the safest, most automated way I have found to download stuff. Not free, but a HELL of a lot cheaper than cable, saves tons of time, plus commercials are already stripped out.

Last edited:

wayne

Star
BGOL Investor
What's the best channels?
FMoviesPlus
Primewire
Crackle
HDRViewer (if you've got a CableCard, you can watch live TV)
ccCloud

once you install the unofficial app store, you'll have access to those channels and more

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
BGOL Investor
Plex is awesome. I got my filenames organized and everything.

I was thinking off splitting my library since it's so big.

Is there anything similar to Plex? If not, I'll just make a seperate server.

Last edited:

MurderCity

Rising Star
Registered
Plex is awesome. I got my filenames organized and everything.

I was thinking off splitting my library since it's so big.

Is there anything similar to Plex? If not, I'll just make a seperate server.

Emby is the closest app to Plex. It is a Client/Server configuration as well but requires a bit more configuration.

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Plex on a firestick isn't worth a damn
Roku stick, fire stick, chrome cast(fuck using a phone ) , tv app

Better to use a more powerful device $100 box , Apple tv , Roku , Nvidia shield

Plex on PS4 sucks for some reason , ps3 forget about it (super slow )

Duece

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Yeah, I've pretty much made up my mind that the next device is going to have to be a "box" no more sticks..

BTW Plex on the PS3 works quite good for me, have you tried to update it?

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, I've pretty much made up my mind that the next device is going to have to be a "box" no more sticks..

BTW Plex on the PS3 works quite good for me, have you tried to update it?
Is slow
Unless you using the network thing not the app

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member

Plex on Xbox one is nice but Plex on Nividia Shield is Flames. I just use the voice control to find the items that I need.

Mike In Bmore

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My homeboy in Austin shares his Plex with me. He's pretty consistent with adding new content and only asks that I mee him know if there are ever want issues with his files .
It's kinda creepy tho when i watch something and later that day hellh ask me how I liked it. LoL... I'm being watched

Adam Knows

YouTube: Adam Knows
Platinum Member
can you stream live tv services from a plex server? like elite tv? or some other iptv service? netflix? hulu, stuff like that? i was looking into building some servers and start selling them.

MurderCity

Rising Star
Registered
can you stream live tv services from a plex server? like elite tv? or some other iptv service? netflix? hulu, stuff like that? i was looking into building some servers and start selling them.

IPTV Service, Hulu, Netflix, Prime, No. You can do live TV if you add a TV Tuner and Aerial Antenna for just local stations, or you get HDHomeRun Prime 6 and a cable tv card and service, which will give you all the normal cable stations.

Plex is more for people that download there own tv, movies, music, and photos. You can add a seedbox which will automatically download TV Shows (form any network), Movies, and Music for about $14/mon.

fonzerrillii

BGOL Elite Poster
Platinum Member
IPTV Service, Hulu, Netflix, Prime, No. You can do live TV if you add a TV Tuner and Aerial Antenna for just local stations, or you get HDHomeRun Prime 6 and a cable tv card and service, which will give you all the normal cable stations.

Plex is more for people that download there own tv, movies, music, and photos. You can add a seedbox which will automatically download TV Shows (form any network), Movies, and Music for about $14/mon.

Actually you can add some streaming services through unofficial and official addon channels ..... I’ve got CW on mine. It gives me all of the CW shows the day after they air. The AbC and CBS apps use to be fantastic but I haven’t gotten them to work in months.

There’s even more unofficial shit but it’s a little complicated to get them installed.

MurderCity

Rising Star
Registered
Actually you can add some streaming services through unofficial and official addon channels ..... I’ve got CW on mine. It gives me all of the CW shows the day after they air. The AbC and CBS apps use to be fantastic but I haven’t gotten them to work in months.

There’s even more unofficial shit but it’s a little complicated to get them installed.

Yeah, I know about the channels, it's been depreciated and will be going away though.
https://www.plex.tv/blog/subtitles-and-sunsets-big-improvements-little-housekeeping/

Plugins: This was not a decision taken lightly, as they’ve been around for a long time, and we’ve had good times both writing and using them. But bluntly, hardly anyone uses them (less than 2% of users), the ancient protocol they use is a continued pain for clients to support, and if we were to build the feature again, we’d do it very differently in this day and age. For utility-type functionality, we love standalone apps like Tautulli and believe this is a better approach. But don’t panic—while the Plugin Directory will soon be gone, you can still manually install plugins for the foreseeable future.

Watch Later: There’s a small handful of you who still care about this feature – just enough to form a close-knit support group – and we’re super sorry (really) if this disrupts your daily bookmarking, but the feature is costly for us to maintain, and hard to justify in the long run.

Cloud Sync: There is very low usage, and it’s also built atop an antediluvian sync engine, so if you rely on Cloud Sync for your day-to-day, things aren’t pretty. DM us a photo of your Cloud Sync library and today’s newspaper and we’ll buy you a beer? (no, not really).

They have always been buggy af too. You can add the Unsupported App Store to install/update those channels not supported by Plex.

Adam Knows

Platinum Member

Guess im going to build a server for it today and see what to price it out for. Figuring a ryzen 7 1800x 16gb ram 20tb hard drive storage should handle transcoding 4k streaming

oskie

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Guess im going to build a server for it today and see what to price it out for. Figuring a ryzen 7 1800x 16gb ram 20tb hard drive storage should handle transcoding 4k streaming

I started slow by using a old win 10 laptop 6gig ram and 1tb hard drive. Never have any problems. But a lot of my files are not 4k.

I would use what you already have before buying something new

Adam Knows

Platinum Member
I started slow by using a old win 10 laptop 6gig ram and 1tb hard drive. Never have any problems. But a lot of my files are not 4k.

I would use what you already have before buying something new

no, i build systems to sell ranging from 500 to 18k

this is something new i'm just adding to the menu. plus for 4k transcoding you need something like an i7 or equivalent

Duece

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The Plex apps are still shitty as hell and they won't do anything about it.

They keep wanting add all these features but what's the use if the app is so shitty.

Plex still runs best with a nearly two year old version of the app.

Plex on the PS3 runs better than it does on the damn shield. (because the PS3 app is the older more stable one.)

Duece

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yall might find this mildly hilarious.

My cousin came to stay for the weekend as he's passing thru Louisiana to drive to Los Angeles and he played a little "prank" on my Plex server.

Check out what I saw when I woke up this morning.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
BGOL Investor
It would be so awesome if this bitch didn't crash just about every time I use it on my Fire TV.

Duece

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Plex needs to get their shit all the way together...

They are more concerned with trying to be like PlutoTV instead of being what they are.

The is still shitty even on high end devices, the point where people are either running it thru Kodi or installing older versions.

They need to add more options to turn off that damn transcoding.

They still don't have options for PseudoTV style playlists or really any Playlists.

If Emby goes Free, they are in trouble.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
Okay, another thing. For the next 3 months, Live TV will be free—no Plex Pass required
If you have an HD antenna and tuner, then now you can stream your free live TV to all your devices without Plex Pass through the end of June (DVR and other premium features still require a Plex Pass). And if you don’t, we got some of our hardware partners to offer them to Plex users at a discount for a limited time. You can stream reruns, new shows (treasure them!), news, or kids programming. Stream it all around your home or while you’re away. Maybe it will help educate, entertain, enlighten, or another e-starting-word. Get the details here. We’ve been working especially hard to fix lots of issues with Live TV based on thoughtful feedback from the community. Stay tuned for more details on that soon.

thismybgolname

Rising Star
OG Investor
Not a Plex user but I use kodi (xanax build) and I pay for real-debrid.

I pay less than $20 for real-debrid for six months of service.

Real-debrid allows me to configure it with Kodi which will gives me paid links when I click on a movie/television show to watch on Kodi.

They all work with no buffering and they're generally all 1080p, 4k HDR.

Real-Debrid also allows me to drop a torrent link into their website and it will download the torrent to their website normally within a matter of minutes. I can download directly from their website once the torrent is done downloading to their server.

What I've found so far is that the majority of the torrents I've put in their website are already on their servers.

The service is certainly well worth the $20 that I spend for a six month subscription.