ESPN TV: Max Kellerman NEW co-host First Take first show was TODAY, thought? UPDATE: MAX LEAVING!!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Stephen A. Smith Briefly Calls into Max Kellerman’s First Take Finale After Reportedly Pushing Him off the Show
By Brandon ContesSep 1st, 2021, 1:20 pm
29 comments

Without much fanfare and devoid of his co-host Stephen A. Smith in studio, Max Kellerman signed off First Take for the final time Wednesday morning.
Last week, ESPN announced Kellerman would be leaving the show after five years as Smith’s sparring partner. Kellerman joined First Take in 2016, taking over for Skip Bayless who departed for Fox Sports. Following the Aug. 24 announcement by ESPN, Kellerman finished out his tenure on the show with guest co-hosts.
Smith’s absence was odd, considering he was reportedly the one pushing his co-host off the show. But in the final minutes of Kellerman’s last show on First Take, Smith called in to say goodbye, noting he was off the last two weeks for surgery to address sleep apnea. “This big nose of mine, if you could believe it, I actually look uglier than I normally look,” Smith said.
“All I wanted to say, was to call in and to thank my man Max for the five years,” Smith added. “Originally, when we talked it was supposed to be a three-year run and the next think you know it was a five-year run. And we’ve been number one every single year and you had an awful lot to do with that.”
“Stephen A. had a lot of say who was gonna be his partner after Skip left the show,” Kellerman noted after Smith’s brief homage. “And I was honored to have been chosen.”

If Smith selected who his co-host was going to be five years ago, he undoubtedly had say in who his co-host will be starting next week. While the decision to change First Take may not have been his alone, if Smith wanted Kellerman to stay, ESPN would have obliged.
In recent years, Smith cemented himself as the undisputed leader of First Take and the face of Disney’s sports brand. Smith became the network’s highest-paid on-air personality in 2019, signing a five-year, $60 million contract with ESPN.
Kellerman will now become the point guard for ESPN’s national morning radio show alongside Keyshawn Johnson and Jay Williams. The former First Take host will also be launching a yet-to-be-announced TV project for ESPN.

In addition to their sports commentary, Smith and Kellerman were known to speak out on important social or political issues on First Take. Before his final sign-off, Kellerman took a moment to acknowledge the important conversations he had on-air with Smith that superseded any scoreboard in sports.
“Important issues were brought up through the years,” Kellerman said. “We got to opine about and use the platform to say things we felt were important in the world of sports and when social issues intersected the world of sports and I’ll always cherish it.”
Watch above via ESPN

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Stephen A. Smith’s goodbye to Max Kellerman after driving him off ‘First Take’
By
Mark Fischer
September 1, 2021 2:30pm

Max Kellerman bid farewell to ESPN’s “First Take” on Wednesday, less than a month after co-host Stephen A. Smith drove him off the sports debate TV show.

Widely considered to be the face of the network, Smith pushed ESPN executives to remove Kellerman from the program because he didn’t believe they worked well together, The Post’s Andrew Marchand reported.

“All things come to an end, and this is the end to my run on ‘First Take,'” Kellerman said at the end of Wednesday’s show.

ESPN made the breakup official last month and said Kellerman would shift to other shows within the network.

Neither Smith nor Kellerman mentioned the reason for their separation during Kellerman’s final appearance as co-host.

Smith, who has been off the air recently as he recovers from sleep apnea surgery, called into Wednesday’s show.

“I’m really sorry I couldn’t be there to tell you face-to-face to thank you for everything you did for the show,” Smith said. “You’re going to be doing big things like you’re always doing big things.”

Stephen A. Smith wishes Max Kellerman well as their run on “First Take” together comes to an end.ESPN

The 48-year-old Kellerman, who is moving to mornings on ESPN Radio and will have his own afternoon TV show on the network, thanked Smith and alluded to Smith’s outsized influence on the show’s makeup.
https://nypost.com/2021/08/26/stephen-a-smith-wants-to-team-up-with-magic-johnson-on-espn/
“Stephen A. had a lot of say in who was going to be his partner after Skip [Bayless] left the show” in 2016, said Kellerman, who was born in The Bronx and began his career broadcasting boxing. “And I was honored to have been chosen and wouldn’t trade the last five years for anything.”
In March, the 53-year-old Smith pushed for ESPN to reunite him with Bayless before Bayless re-signed with Fox Sports on a four-year, $32 million deal.

Bayless is the co-host of FS1’s “Undisputed,” another daily morning sports debate show in the mold of “First Take.”

Smith, a former newspaperman whose $60 million contract makes him the highest-paid ESPN personality, will remain on “First Take” with a rotation of guests to debate.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
ESPN king Stephen A. Smith had Max Kellerman taken off ‘First Take’
By
Andrew Marchand
August 24, 2021 6:25pm
Updated

Max Kellerman expected to be removed from ESPN’s ‘First Take’

ESPN is Stephen A.’s world now. He wanted Max Kellerman off “First Take” — and now Kellerman is off “First Take.” He wanted to host a late-night talk show — and he filled in as host of “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” on Monday. He wanted $12 million a year — and he got $12 million a year.

Love him or hate him, Stephen A. Smith works. And for that, ESPN has awarded him a lot of airtime, money and power. So “First Take” will be even more Smith’s show going forward. In the eyes of ESPN’s executives, he has earned that.

Smith, 53, has four years left on his five-year, $60 million contract, but you can see how he is building toward his ultimate goal of hosting a late-night talk show. It’s all right in front of your eyes, from his ESPN+ show, “Stephen A’s World,” in which he has been interviewing more people from outside sports, to Monday’s hosting spot for Kimmel on ABC, which, like ESPN, is owned and operated by Disney.

Since he has become a giant in the industry, his moves reverberate. Smith has wanted Kellerman off “First Take” for years. Though it wasn’t personal, according to sources, Kellerman has a “smartest guy in the room” attitude, and Smith wanted more of a debating challenger. And ultimately, he wanted it to be him versus the world.

Whatever you think of the hot-take shows, they live on sparks, and Smith and Kellerman never had the flair of Smith and Skip Bayless. Smith has told everyone who needs to know, including Kellerman, that it didn’t work well enough, according to sources. After Smith’s wishes were executed, a fault line from Bristol to New York followed.

Let’s start with radio, since ESPN makes more changes there than a high schooler looking for the perfect Instagram outfit.

Kellerman will go to ESPN Radio mornings, replacing Zubin Mehenti. Kellerman will be teamed with Keyshawn Johnson and Jay Williams, beginning next month.

Kellerman will also receive a daily TV show, which will likely be at 2 p.m. on ESPN, potentially impacting the spots of “Jalen & Jacoby” and “Highly Questionable.” Kellerman will have the chance to show he can be a No. 1 on a national sports variety show. He will continue his once-a-week boxing program on ESPN2.

Stephen A. SmithGetty Images
The morning stability that ESPN once had with “Mike & Mike” is long gone. After Mike Golic and Trey Wingo lasted just three years, ESPN is changing its mornings again a year later.

Mehenti, who has been on medical leave due to complications from diabetes, will return to “SportsCenter.” Alan Hahn, who mostly filled in for Mehenti and was a front-runner to replace him, will go back to middays with Bart Scott.

“Bart & Hahn” will add an hour (noon-3 p.m.), which likely will result in 98.7 FM’s ESPN New York’s “The Michael Kay Show” moving its start time back to 3 p.m. Chris Canty will leave ESPN New York’s 5-8 a.m. morning show, which will now feature just Rick DiPietro and Dave Rothenberg.
Max KellermanGetty Images

Canty will partner with Mike Golic Jr. on national afternoons (not heard in New York) from 3 to 7 p.m. Golic’s former partner, Chiney Ogwumike, will see her role expand on the NBA and college hoops.

Got all that? Good, because ESPN executives will probably change it all again next year.

All the moves are a result of Smith feeling he and Kellerman were not connecting with the audience. He is not wrong. Kellerman is smart, but he hasn’t shown the command of the screen or a memorable delivery yet to fully resonate.

After Bayless left for Fox Sports five years ago and Kellerman arrived, it was Smith’s show. The program moved from ESPN2 to ESPN to maintain hot-take supremacy. It still makes ESPN money. The next iteration will have Smith verbally sparring with folks inside and outside of ESPN — all likely approved by him.
So why is Kellerman no longer on “First Take”? It wasn’t really personal. It was just business. Stephen A. Smith wanted the breakup. And so it was.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

So why you ain't say all that BEFORE?

Cause I TOLD YOU to say specifically this from jump.

Getting paid millions to be the face and voice of espn I would have thought you could handle this better.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Stephen A. Explains Why He Wanted Max Kellerman Off 'First Take': TRAINA THOUGHTS
JIMMY TRAINA

1. No matter how you feel about ESPN's Stephen A. Smith, you have to give him credit for being open and honest about recent developments at First Take.

Smith appears on the latest SI Media Podcast, which dropped this morning, and pulled no punches in explaining why he wanted Max Kellerman off the show.

"I thought it ran its course even though we were No. 1; numbers were dipping. Chemistry was an issue, and we needed to be better. I wasn't pointing a finger at him. I was saying WE did not work as a pair.

I think that Max is one of the nicest guys in the world. He's incredibly knowledgable about his boxing and other sports, by the way. I knew there were a plethora of other opportunities within the company for him to be a part of, which has been proven because now he's with Keyshawn [Johnson] and Jay [Williams] on a nationally syndicated radio show in the morning for four hours, and he's got his own national television show in the afternoon from 2 to 3, This Just In, which I think is doing well and I wish him nothing but the best.

I think that people get confused, thinking Stephen A. doesn't like Max. Couldn't be further from the truth. I like him and respect him. WE just weren't working anymore because the audience was telling us we had essentially just flatlined. We were the same. We weren't fresh together.

So as a result of that, I told the bosses how I felt. Wishing him nothing but the best, rooting for him, making sure everyone knows if he needed me, I wouldn't hesitate to be there for him, but I'm not going to apologize to anybody for being committed to winning. And if I believe I'm part of a formula that's not going to win any longer, I'm going to change that formula. Whether it's me moving or them moving on, and that is the way I have always been and that is the way I will continue to be.

I'm incredibly excited the direction that First Take is is now. Molly [Qerim Rose] has been sensational. So have all the contributors. Michael Irvin on Mondays, Keyshawn [Johnson] on Tuesdays, Marcus Spears on Wednesdays, Dan Orlovsky on Thursdays, Tim Tebow on Fridays. With all the contributors like Mina Kimes, Kimberly Martin, Ryan Clark, Paul Finebaum, Jeff Saturday, the list goes on and on and on. Everybody's been fantastic. But it's fresh voices going up against me. I think the show is incredibly exciting. We're excited to be doing it. We're having a blast, and nothing feels stale now.

And I've been doing this for nine years, so I think I'd have a pretty good idea—I've been No. 1 every single year I've done it—I think I kinda have an idea of what works. If I sat up there and said it's his fault, that's a different argument. That's not what I said. I said we don't work together and a decision needs to be made regarding us. And that's what I was taking responsibility for, and I will never run from that."
I asked Smith whether Kellerman agreed with his assessment of the show.

"No, he did not," Smith said.

Other topics discussed during the podcast include:

• Comments he's regretted over the years
• Has Smith ever said something you didn't mean for the sake of a debate?
• What makes a good sports debate?
• Is First Take's plan to eventually find one host?
• His reaction to being called a performance artist

• Being spoofed by John Oliver
• How sports media has changed when it comes to opinion
• Athletes, coaches and front office people texting him during First Take
Smith also shared an incredible story about Kobe Bryant demanding Smith call him after the host talked about Kobe on First Take one day.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Stephen A. Smith Opens Up on Split With Max Kellerman: ‘We Don't Communicate’

Ever since his cohost Max Kellerman was removed from ESPN's sports debate show First Take, the always outspoken Stephen A. Smith has not been shy about his desire for the pair to part ways. He went into great detail on the topic with Jimmy Traina on the SI Media Podcast in September, saying that the two did not work well as a team anymore.
Speaking in an interview with Chris “Mad Dog” Russo, one of Smith's new First Take counterparts, on Thursday, Smith elaborated on what led to the erosion of his and Kellerman's working relationship.
“I was very, very honest about me saying that I thought the show needed a change. But what I also said to the bosses was, ‘Listen, I think our time together has passed. If you want to keep him on the show and not me, and you want me to do something else that you think I could be more beneficial and more profitable for the company, so be it,’” Smith said. “But in the end, I knew it was time for us to part ways.”
Smith was complementary of Kellerman, both in a professional and personal sense, and was pleased that the longtime boxing analyst is “doing great things now.” But the loquacious media personality felt on an instinctive level that their partnership had run its course.
“We had been together for five years. I’ve been doing this for 10 years, I got a feeling as to when something is going a bit stale and the audience doesn’t seem to gravitate to us in the fashion that they used to,” Smith said. “And that’s what it is. So, when I looked at him, I said, ‘The guy is smart as hell, he’s done radio, he’s done television. I know that he’s gonna be on his feet, there’s no way on Earth that he’s gonna get screwed over or anything like that.’ He’s an incredibly good guy, very thoughtful, good person, and I think he’s doing great things now. I think I’ve been proven to be right.”

Kellerman now hosts his own ESPN program, This Just In, at 2 p.m. ET, along with ESPN2's Max on Boxing and his spot as cohost of ESPN Radio's Keyshawn, JWill & Max, which is simulcast on ESPNews.

After Smith detailed what led to their professional parting of ways, Russo asked whether the pair had a good relationship now, with Smith not willing to go that far.
“I wouldn’t classify it as that,” Smith said. “I wouldn’t classify it as good or bad. We don’t communicate, but we’re very respectful towards one another. We say hi to one another when we see each other, but we go our separate ways.”

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
Wow
A lot of faces and personalities that defined espn
Can’t imagine a high profile nba game without van Gundy or Jalen on halftime show

Steve Young has been a staple of nfl coverage

And max went from being the cohost of the number 1 sports talk show in the country to getting cut

Wow

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

STEPHEN A. SMITH, WHO RUINED MAX KELLERMAN’S CAREER, SUGGESTS SKIP BAYLESS WRONGED SHANNON SHARPE​

Skip Bayless left First Take and ESPN in 2016 to create Undisputed on FS1. The show was of an identical format, except Bayless now debated Shannon Sharpe instead of Stephen A. Smith. ESPN replaced Bayless on First Take with Max Kellerman.

Sharpe and Kellerman were tasked with the same role: a foe of the opposite race to their more television-famous counterpart.

Bayless and Smith were equals. Sharpe and Kellerman were sidekicks.

On Monday, seven years after joining Bayless, Sharpe will join Stephen A. as a new contributor to First Take.

Smith and Sharpe previewed their new-found partnership on the latter’s podcast Friday. Smith gave his perspective on Sharpe leaving Undisputed after two on-air blowups with Bayless, during which he suggested Bayless wronged Sharpe:
“Listen, I got a lot of friends over there, alright, we all know that,” Smith said. “I know a lot of people but that doesn’t mean what happened to you is fair. Plain and simple. That ain’t the end of the world but it is what it is. To me, it was just important for us in this industry to stand up and say yo, he’s one of us, you can’t let him go out like this. And that was it for me. You can go wherever you want, you can come to First Take, fine. You want to go somewhere else, fine.”
“I told you this and I’ll tell the audience that I told you this. I said you might be at First Take for one year, you might be at First Take for years to come. It’s my responsibility — and I’m dead serious as a heart attack — to make sure that you are more successful with me than you were before you arrived. I’m going to make sure it happens, come hell or high water. We ain’t going down, brother, we only going up.”
Smith said he invited Sharpe to ESPN to “prove to the industry that Shannon Sharpe did nothing wrong.”
“I didn’t want you to be in the situation where the sports world looked at you and said ‘what did he do? He must have done something.’ I said if he ends up here, he ends up here. The honchos know I want him. More importantly than that, this is a brother that I think has done a lot of good work on television that has helped our community. As a result, it’s incumbent upon me because of the perch I sit on to let them know he’s wanted,” Smith told Sharpe.
Stephen A. Smith thinks Bayless treated Sharpe poorly and left him without a job. Such a statement would have Max Kellerman cackling — if he weren’t unemployed.
Smith treated Kellerman worse than Bayless treated Sharpe. Shannon says he and Skip had tensions for “six months” out of “six and a half good years” together.
Smith and Kellerman had tensions for at least three of the five years they were together. How do we know?
First, Smith would often roll his eyes, ignore, and insult Kellerman on-set. He frequently complained about Kellerman to other ESPN talents, per talents he complained to.
Two, Smith admitted so. He told Hot 97 in September 2021 that he asked his bosses to remove Max from the show for three straight years. He said the show was no longer good with Kellerman on it.
“For the last three years after the NBA Finals, I told the bosses [I wanted Max off]. I also told Max that. He disagreed with me. He disagreed with me two years ago. He disagreed with me this time.”
Smith had Kellerman removed from the show a month before those statements. ESPN eventually demoted Kellerman to morning radio. The company laid him off in June.
In February 2021, Smith explained on SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Unleashed that he wanted Kellerman off the program so badly he threatened to leave the show if Kellerman remained.

Shannon Sharpe chose to leave Undisputed because of his issues with Skip Bayless. Stephen A. Smith kicked Max Kellerman off First Take.
Sharpe now works for ESPN and The Volume. Kellerman is without a job.
Smith says Sharpe deserved a job to prove to the industry he did nothing wrong. He obviously had no such grace for Kellerman.
Moreover, Bayless praised and thanked Sharpe during their final episode together:

Smith didn’t bother to make into to work for Kellerman’s final day on First Take:

Yet, according to Stephen A., it was Skip who wronged Sharpe.
OutKick wanted to give Stephen A. a chance to explain his position. How he can frame Sharpe as a victim but have no remorse for how he treated Kellerman?
Unfortunately, he did not respond. We sent him the following request for comment:
Stephen A, I hope all is well.
You said on Shannon Sharpe’s podcast, “I know a lot of people but that doesn’t mean what happened to you is fair. Plain and simple. That ain’t the end of the world but it is what it is. To me, it was just important for us in this industry to stand up and say yo, he’s one of us, you can’t let him go out like this.”
This seems to suggest you think Skip did Shannon wrong. But I wanted to reach out because from everything reported, and confirmed, Shannon left Skip’s show while you pushed for ESPN to remove Max. Essentially, Shannon and Max had the same roles after Skip left ESPN in 2016.
Is it not fair to say you hurt Max’s career more than Skip hurt Shannon’s? To be clear, it’s not your responsibility to save Max’s career or Skip’s to save Shannon. And the ratings for FT have been up since Max left. So, it wasn’t a bad decision for you.
But, unless I am reading what you said wrong, you seem to suggest Skip wronged Shannon. And if you are saying that, did you not wrong Max?
I wanted to reach out before I covered this.
Thank you.
The ratings for First Take are up. In fact, the show has posted 13 consecutive months of year-over-year growth.
The viewers do not miss Kellerman. Smith is justified in wanting the change.
Multiple statements are true at once: First Take is better without Kellerman, Smith treated him poorly, and Smith ruined Kellerman’s career.
The criticism here is that Smith accuses Bayless of doing to Sharpe what he did to Kellerman.
We hope Stephen A. eventually explains how Skip screwed Shannon but he didn’t screw Max.