Fake DJing BUSTED...tell the truth..sometimes ya'll pretend to turn knobs just to look busy

The Untouchable GDFOLKS

Real Niggas Get Real Pussy
BGOL Investor
I wanted to DJ ever since I was a lil kid but could never afford the equipment. 1200s were $500 a piece & I wasn't street hustling nor did I have a job so getting the equipment was outta my reach. Finally landed a good career & bought my 1st controller, A Pioneer DDJ-S1 back in 2011. Traded up to a DDJ-SX not too long after and then finally went back to my roots with a set of turntables. I now have a set of turntables for spinning at home, a pair of CDJs to bring to clubs & a Vestax controller as a backup. Had a scare with my macbook HDD dying mid gig a few weeks ago so I bought a 2nd macbook too. I carry both macbooks along with a portable Thunderbolt drive with me everywhere I go now.
You started DJing in 2011?

RUDY RAYYY MO

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
im still tryin to figure that out.
nigga just stands behind the turntables with them raggidy ass headphones on.....screamin out "We Da Best" every 15 seconds between songs.
cant stand his fat ass,and black folk cosiging dude

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
knowing what to play and who to play it for is a basic element one needs to understand when
This is the key that's needed to be a dj,blending,trickery and beat juggling are things you should know how to do but it's not required as long as the crowd is moving or semi enjoying themselves to what you've selected to play.Timing is everything,the tricks of the trade,you pick that up later.
I'm no expert ,shit not even a good novice, but even I know that bu hopefully I will be able to one day crush a crowd,I'm working on it with an all in one ubs joint.

Naha-Nago

Rising Star
Registered
You still don't get it. Having a playlist isn't enough. You can put every popular song together in a single playlist but knowing how to put them together to keep an audience entertained for hours is an art. Keeping the crowd focused on the vibe you're creating is an art. A playlist means nothing if you don't have someone capable of putting it all together to have a flow. That's the job of a DJ & until you have done it yourself or been around people who do, you'll never have an idea of the work that real DJs have to put in to keep you entertained at any party, corporate event, wedding etc that you've ever attended.

I had a 'cup of coffee' as a PAID DJ and my boy is a PAID DJ and what you said is spot on.

Even if you don't know how to scratch one fucking record your ass better know the crowd, where you want them to go, and how to get there via the BPM or that is you ass!

But fuck it...just put the iPhone playlist on shuffle and you're all good said no club promoter/owner ever!

*two cents*

Last edited:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

But fuck it...just put the iPhone playlist on shuffle and your all good said no club promoter/owner ever!

*two cents*

well uhhh umm..sometimes they do..i kno i've been to a few and have host a few.. "throw on the playlist".."last nite i put together a 6 hr tracklist we good to go "..."pay that nig how much? man lets go with dj ipod"...dj ipod>>>>>>>>paying several hundred or more sometime for an event..sometime the jew route is understandable

The Untouchable GDFOLKS

BGOL Investor
Yeah though I did learn basics from my people much earlier on their equipment so by the time I got my own I was able to still do basic mixing by ear
AWWW bro..you started 15 plus years after the craft was bought out. I won't knock you though because we all need a hobby and if you enjoy spinning..do your thing.

Last edited:

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
I wanted to DJ ever since I was a lil kid but could never afford the equipment. 1200s were $500 a piece & I wasn't street hustling nor did I have a job so getting the equipment was outta my reach. Finally landed a good career & bought my 1st controller, A Pioneer DDJ-S1 back in 2011. Traded up to a DDJ-SX not too long after and then finally went back to my roots with a set of turntables. I now have a set of turntables for spinning at home, a pair of CDJs to bring to clubs & a Vestax controller as a backup. Had a scare with my macbook HDD dying mid gig a few weeks ago so I bought a 2nd macbook too. I carry both macbooks along with a portable Thunderbolt drive with me everywhere I go now.

I started off as a rapper, but could never really find a way to make real money from it. In 2004 came across an ad from a wedding DJ company that was looking for new unexperienced people to play money at their parties. I loved it and was great at it, but ended up getting fired from them and the next company I worked for.

I put shit on hold until 2011 when I DJ'd my own wedding. Eventually I ended up working for another DJ company which fired me a couple years later. I finally realized that all these firings were ridiculously petty and came in the midst of rave reviews from the clients so I struck out on my own in 2013. After years of slow going my DJ income is finally starting to eclipse my square job earnings. I hope to making 100% of my living from the craft by next year. (BTW. DJ companies that hire other DJs are complete scams. If you're a DJ don't work for them. If you're a client don't hire them).

My gear is a Numark 4Trak controller with an Acer laptop souped up with an SSD hard drive. The music is roughly 45,000 songs carried on a Samsung portable SSD.

I'm looking to buy a controller that can work without a laptop and hold at least 1 TB of music. Can anyone recommend a good one and a mid ranged price one?

Majestic Lion

fidélité à la mort
Registered
DJ Bedz' Old School Edition mixes are great for hearing originals mixed with more recent tunes. I just heard that Think track/sample yesterday on one of those mixes...I think it was Vol 2.

I don't take in too much edm...but I will roll with Walshy Fire with whatever project he's involved with.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
AWWW bro..you got started 15 plus years after the craft got bought out. I won't knock you though because we all need a hobby and if you enjoy spinning..do your thing.
Who told you that? If you're referring to the use of vinyl then the craft is coming back stronger than ever. There's a reason why DJ equipment manufacturers are each making their own vinyl turntables & even Technics are making new turntables again. Just because actual wax isn't the primary media for music doesn't mean that spinning on wax is dead

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I started off as a rapper, but could never really find a way to make real money from it. In 2004 came across an ad from a wedding DJ company that was looking for new unexperienced people to play money at their parties. I loved it and was great at it, but ended up getting fired from them and the next company I worked for.

I put shit on hold until 2011 when I DJ'd my own wedding. Eventually I ended up working for another DJ company which fired me a couple years later. I finally realized that all these firings were ridiculously petty and came in the midst of rave reviews from the clients so I struck out on my own in 2013. After years of slow going my DJ income is finally starting to eclipse my square job earnings. I hope to making 100% of my living from the craft by next year. (BTW. DJ companies that hire other DJs are complete scams. If you're a DJ don't work for them. If you're a client don't hire them).

My gear is a Numark 4Trak controller with an Acer laptop souped up with an SSD hard drive. The music is roughly 45,000 songs carried on a Samsung portable SSD.

I'm looking to buy a controller that can work without a laptop and hold at least 1 TB of music. Can anyone recommend a good one and a mid ranged price one?
I don't work for any DJ companies and have been pretty much working my way up the ladder ever since I moved to Raleigh. I knew no one down here but managed to network my way in and am now starting to make connections with all sorts of people. As for equipment, Look at the new Denon MCX8000 units.

The Untouchable GDFOLKS

BGOL Investor
Who told you that? If you're referring to the use of vinyl then the craft is coming back stronger than ever. There's a reason why DJ equipment manufacturers are each making their own vinyl turntables & even Technics are making new turntables again. Just because actual wax isn't the primary media for music doesn't mean that spinning on wax is dead
It's a hobby man..there is no money in REAL DJing fam. Like I said bro...if its fun for you..by all means enjoy that shit.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
DJ Bedz' Old School Edition mixes are great for hearing originals mixed with more recent tunes. I just heard that Think track/sample yesterday on one of those mixes...I think it was Vol 2.

I don't take in too much edm...but I will roll with Walshy Fire with whatever project he's involved with.
Major Lazer & Walshy Fire can't do wrong in my book

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
well uhhh umm..sometimes they do..i kno i've been to a few and have host a few.. "throw on the playlist".."last nite i put together a 6 hr tracklist we good to go "..."pay that nig how much? man lets go with dj ipod"...dj ipod>>>>>>>>paying several hundred or more sometime for an event..sometime the jew route is understandable

I have seen that happen a lot in smaller towns. When I lost my gig at the Waiting Room in Castro Valley my replacement was some buster that spent most of his time outside smoking weed and playing prerecorded mixes. He was able to draw a bigger crowd than me because he grew up in Castro Valley and went to high school with most of the regulars.

My attitude is, if that's the hook that keeps you working then great! Do you and make that $100 on a Saturday night. Good luck getting hired anywhere else though.

The Untouchable GDFOLKS

BGOL Investor
If that's what you want to believe then hey cool. I won't debate that with you
It's not a belief..its a fact. There is no real money for classic DJ's like yourself fam. I respect you for honoring the craft but the game has changed and unless you conform, what you are doing is nothing but a hobby that you can make a few bucks with.

Most of this shit now is straight networking...you don't have to be super live with bounces, mixes and scratches. All you have to do is be cool with this person or that person...you can get gigs not knowing how to do any of that shit.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I have seen that happen a lot in smaller towns. When I lost my gig at the Waiting Room in Castro Valley my replacement was some buster that spent most of his time outside smoking weed and playing prerecorded mixes. He was able to draw a bigger crowd than me because he grew up in Castro Valley and went to high school with most of the regulars.

My attitude is, if that's the hook that keeps you working then great! Do you and make that $100 on a Saturday night. Good luck getting hired anywhere else though.
Worst is them cheap promotors who hire inexperienced DJs willing to do an event for a fraction of a fraction of what any other would charge and then complain about all DJs when their event doesn't go as well as expected. You get what you pay for

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

lot of lounges and clubs in ny.. lot of spots got equipment.. some play playlist on certain nites and may have dj's other nites.. it's all about type of venue, type of crowd, type of music, type of vibe, it is whether u go to the playlist or dj.. we got hookah bars sometime dj ipod is on most nites cause people are in more chill mode and don't need a dj trying to hype the crowd

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
Worst is them cheap promotors who hire inexperienced DJs willing to do an event for a fraction of a fraction of what any other would charge and then complain about all DJs when their event doesn't go as well as expected. You get what you pay for

I don't mind them either. Many helped me pay my rent at the last minute. Over time the gigs that didn't go as well as expected forced me to push my craft further. Now when those cheap promoters call me up I respectfully decline because I'm too busy making more money playing for someone else. Building a brand and serving your clients is the most important things whether you're making $1 or $1,000 for the night.

lot of lounges and clubs in ny.. lot of spots got equipment.. some play playlist on certain nites and may have dj's other nites.. it's all about type of venue, type of crowd, type of music, type of vibe, it is whether u go to the playlist or dj.. we got hookah bars sometime dj ipod is on most nites cause people are in more chill mode and don't need a dj trying to hype the crowd

That's understandable. Although IMO a DJing is less about hyping the crowd and more about making sure they don't leave the building

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Agreed. I was unprepared for a crowd that wanted reggaeton last weekend so now I'm taking the day off my day job to track down and build a 200 song set so that it never happens again. This involves scouring record pools, studying charts, listening to hours of internet radio, figuring out which hip hop songs can transition in and out with them and eventually making a five minute mix so I can sell this skill to new clients.
fuck the charts - hit the pools and the boards - Serato's boards are a good start - also look around, every genre has elite DJs that put out monthly or weekly mixes remixes and blends... for all time favs and new /hot
as well as dj jazzy jeff
Jeff gets $$ to play everything!

It's not a belief..its a fact. There is no real money for classic DJ's like yourself fam. I respect you for honoring the craft but the game has changed and unless you conform, what you are doing is nothing but a hobby that you can make a few bucks with.

Most of this shit now is straight networking...you don't have to be super live with bounces, mixes and scratches. All you have to do is be cool with this person or that person...you can get gigs not knowing how to do any of that shit.
you have no idea or knowledge of what you speak - its entertainment- if a dj's hustle is strong - he can get work by networking and marketing himself no different than singers dancers magicians or comedians... all successful entertainers need to know how capture and control an audience - if not then they aren't going to succeed
That's understandable. Although IMO a DJing is less about hyping the crowd and more about making sure they don't leave the building
you have much more to learn young grasshopper

I've seen it a lot, especially EDM DJs. HipHop DJs are watched too critically and they know better. You get checked for your trainwrecks!
EDM DJs are adjusting pitch and the equalizer - especially before a "bass drop" but the best ones are also mixing in with samplers or even playing the sampler at times
Hell I've received raves going from LL Cool J's "Doin It" to the Fabolous & Nicki Minaj "Doin It Well" song. Their heads would've probably been blown if I played the original sample source for both songs in Grace Jones "My Jamaican Guy". Most people I've come across think LL Cool J's version is the original.
Yeah - by mixing in the original song that was sampled and then bringing up the modern or iconic 90s 2000s hit under it - the older DJs have been killing that for years now -Jazzy Jeff's mixtapes will give you a ton of places to start looking

Here in Las Vegas they laying these mofos millions to DJ in the clubs on the strips.

The highest paid big names are...

-Steve Aoki
-Tiesto
-Calvin Harris
-Martin Garrix

They got others all making in the high 6 figures to push play on a laptop.

And none of them are Black.

The DJ Tiesto was on the Vice Channel showing him on a laptop in his hotel room making up his set for later on that night.

Shit is a scam.
no its not a scam - those guys aren't just playing mp3s, many times they are also creating beats and melodies live during their sets - its why Tiesto and Harris have MPC1200s on their rigs... before a show he sets up what he is going to work with after he knows what the crowd should be or if there is a theme for the night

Innovative cats in here
eh... not really - no disrespect, but none of the board's more experienced DJs have checked in this thread yet
It's a hobby man..there is no money in REAL DJing fam. Like I said bro...if its fun for you..by all means enjoy that shit.
its a hobby to some but real money for others here...
a DJ is as much an entertainer as a singer or rapper
a real entertainer can entice a crowd to fun, build excitement amp them to a frenzy, and calm / slow it down - best ones are able to do it all and keep their audience riding that wave for an entire show.

Naha-Nago

Rising Star
Registered

Key word is...'On Shuffle' pimp. Even going play list route you have to make a playlist that makes sense, catered to your crowd, and even then it's a crap shoot cause sometimes they just ain't going to feel what you got on.

Now if it's just music you need in the background like a bar or a lounge on an off night then fuck it...type in 'Quite Storm' or 'Watercolors' on Spodify and let it ride but if you're dealing with an interactive crowd and 'the music' is a pivotal part of the evening best bet is to have a cat monitoring that shit realtime.

Hell your industry is pack full of cats just doing shit 'Nigga I got these hoes, they got big asses, and they shake um...that's pretty much it.' and cause of that I'll bet you get 80% of your repeat business simply because you do shit RIGHT.....right?

*two cents*

Last edited: