Grown Talk: Should Black Men show each other more respect/brotherhood?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I notice that brothers really ain't cool with each other.

Thinking this is really hurting us...and they using this division more and more.

And I ain't even talking about street level stuff either.

Corporate level and just regular business environment.

Just walking down the street giving a head nod.

Dudes in the same neighborhood same buildings, etc. don't even acknowledge each other.

But will mean mug.

But the other don't do that.

Am I tripping?

I'm just saying imagine if Black men especially in light of recent events started acknowledging each other...

it seems unlike MANY other groups we can NEVER find some type of consensus to truly unite on and we can never vote together.

So maybe if we started building at just that simple basic level t would make a difference?

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Every Brotha aint no Brotha.I've learn that over the years.
That's not to say I don't but I pick and choose who to extend my hand to.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
Funny you posted this. I picked my son up from the dentist, and he asked me "Why is it that you see another young black man relaxed and smiling, and the minute he looks at another black dude, he starts ice grillin'?" Sadly, it's been that way for a minute. It's not ALL of us, but it's enough to notice.

kain

Professional Bastard Bum
Platinum Member
I do acknowledge the brothers and sisters but most of the time its not returned in kind.
I just don't expect it to be acknowledged.
I'm just use to doing it and its habit.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
^^^

thanks for sharing family

everything you said is what I am talking about.

I remember years back I was out with friends and this brother and his girl walked by...

he gave me a small smile and a head nod.

I responded.

Dude turned around walked right up to me.

I thought he was about to scrap...

he shook my hand and asked if I was AMERICAN?!?!?!

Dude was a some dude who worked for the embassy and said he was shocked how unfriendly black people are to each other here and gave me his business card.

And actually came in handy when some family had some issues in Haiti.

Point is we cant even smile at each other and act surprised when the other treats us lesser or tries to pit one against the other.

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
y'all must live up north.. black men still speak around here.

if it's only a head nod...

it's not like it used to be but 85 percent of the time you at least get that.

kinglickk

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I distrust everyone - CACs even more. They get the mean mug every time they rry that fake smile. Just this morning walking down a block in Bklyn, CAC bitch ahead. I'm light on my feet so you don't hear me coming. Saw that look of horror when she turned around. I pretended like she didn't exist and kept it moving. I'm shaved, head & face, long sleeve dress shirt, decent pants, nothing in my hands and the bitch still scared of the dark skin. Not that I give a fuck.
Problem with being friendly to my own is that they try to get too close. I just want to be respectful and keep it moving. My peeps eventually try to get close.

It's different outside of NY. I remember brothers/sisters in Minnesota and Oregon acted like they won the jackpot when we passed in the streets. It was kinda freaky.

jokekofi

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Been at the workplace since Jan 08. glad to see more brothers coming through but brothers flat out ignore a hi or whats up. not all but a good 50%. sad state of the brotherhood. i'm not even the kinda brother that keeps male friends but i always got a smile and a hi. u know. :smh:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Been at the workplace since Jan 08. glad to see more brothers coming through but brothers flat out ignore a hi or whats up. not all but a good 50%. sad state of the brotherhood. i'm not even the kinda brother that keeps male friends but i always got a smile and a hi. u know. :smh:

this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about...

but when there is trouble?

Then its my brother hook me up, you KNOW how it is. :hmm:

But when they think they have an IN with the white boys up in there its i just dont give a f*ck...

jokekofi

Rising Star
Platinum Member
this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about...

but when there is trouble?

Then its my brother hook me up, you KNOW how it is. :hmm:

But when they think they have an IN with the white boys up in there its i just dont give a f*ck...

it's a bloody shame.

DeSiRe

The Get It Girl
BGOL Investor
i miss this...

i notice that alot of older black men still will will make a point to nod or say hi in passing

but everyone else :smh:

i remember there was a time that if you had a class, or was out somewhere and blacks were minorities they automaticlly cliqued up

in college there was always a black table at the dinning hall

at work if there was another black chick around my age we would end up taking breaks and lunch together

its like we used to seek eachother out and found comfort and support in eachother...especially if we in a situation where we were the minority

not anymore...

you can walk past a black person and they barely acknowledge you...or even worse go out of their way to avoid you:smh:

Stick2dascript

Star
Registered
Post Traumatic Slave Disorder. You see each other as the enemy instead of the real enemies.

This-icon.jpg

Yeah, we living on white man's standards

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
I get mixed results. Some brothas do some don't. I usually make eye contact with anyone passing by me they either nod first or I do. Sometime I get a return nod sometime I don't. Usually a lot of the older black males (35-50) will nod and open a dialogue with you. Most younger dudes will nod say wassup in passing few will make convo.

I'll say women tend to be receptive younger women less talkative but older women tend to be very cordial. I assume most young women think I'm trying to "Holler" instead I'm just making friendly convo or acknowledgement.

Since I moved to DMV area I'll say things have been a lot more reciprocal than when I was in the Bay.

Shit I'll be honest I don't even know how to make friends anymore with dudes in my own age group but older dudes I can usually get along with cool plus they usually know more shit than I do and give me some golden advice. I guess it's that father figure shit idk.

However I give people the benefit of the doubt I don't know what's going on with peoples lives at the time.

blackpepper

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Its not like it used to be, but I still get acknowledgment from quite a few. I usually try to make eye contact, however a lot of dudes aint having it. On average the older the man, the more likely he is to interact. When I'm in the inner city, I usually draw the line at trying to talk to younger fellas, 18 to 25 yrs old, if I don't know them at all. I tried a few times and it didn't go well, cause they were so volatile.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Its not like it used to be, but I still get acknowledgment from quite a few. I usually try to make eye contact, however a lot of dudes aint having it. On average the older the man, the more likely he is to interact. When I'm in the inner city, I usually draw the line at trying to talk to younger fellas, 18 to 25 yrs old, if I don't know them at all. I tried a few times and it didn't go well, cause they were so volatile.

I hear you but you know what I think it is too with younger dudes is they probably don't think there is any common ground with older dudes to even converse with them. So they don't know how to open a dialogue about anything to begin with, probably expecting to get cold shouldered or lectured.

From my experience though, older dudes at heart are still young dudes these mofos talk about some of the same shit young dudes do. They just have a bit more experience and know-how about certain things. But still crack jokes and ass-watch just the same.

Problematic

Rising Star
Registered
effects of decades worth of post-integration black america...we no longer have much unity as a collective

the only reason you still see a few of us acknowledge one another is because some of the old heads w/ sense are still around and/or taught us at an early age

timely thread

TurellSmith

Support BGOL
Registered
This has been discussed before but under a different context. This seems like a big city type of thing.

When I am down south it seems like if you throw out the nod you get one back but up north muthafuckas will look at you like you crazy:smh::smh:.

flydredguy

Potential Star
Registered
Should black men show each other more respect? You damn right we should!! It pisses me off SOMETIMES when brothas dont acknowledge you when u show respect, but i shake if off and keep it moving. We're a very powerful black race and they know it. They put shackles on our minds so we can continue to battle each other. We have a long way to go, but i believe we can...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kenbgco68

Rising Star
Registered
I show respect and get respect... However I'd like to see more of it in general.

Every Brotha aint no Brotha.I've learn that over the years.
That's not to say I don't but I pick and choose who to extend my hand to.

This and that. Every African I pass nearby will get acknowledged unless they're acting ghetto (loud and/or confrontational), then I keep walking.