{~~~Guns, Guns and Mo' Guns - The Right To Keep And Bear Arms~~~}

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
My 1st AR was a Ruger...once I got used to the breakdown, I was able to build one easily. The simplest thing to do is get a fully assembled upper unless you have specific needs. The lower is not hard to assemble.
Cool. Any brands in particular you like better for their uppers, lowers, triggers, etc...

DiGeneral

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Do you have any particular parts that you'd recommend for a build or suggest one should stay away from if they want a quality build? I already have the Smith & Wesson MP15 Sport 2 but am definitely interested in building one from scratch down the road.

I would start with a good quality lower receiver of your choice (I suggest a Aero Precision M4E1), a Aero Precision LPK (lower parts kit), a receiver extension, buffer, buffer spring, and stock (these can be purchased as a set). You will also need tools for assembly (some specialized and some common). Watch a couple of assembly videos online, and jump right in.

You can use your freshly assembled lower on the upper from your MP to function check. Mostly everything else that you will install on your build, will be subjective to your personal tastes.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I would start with a good quality lower receiver of your choice (I suggest a Aero Precision M4E1), a Aero Precision LPK (lower parts kit), a receiver extension, buffer, buffer spring, and stock (these can be purchased as a set). You will also need tools for assembly (some specialized and some common). Watch a couple of assembly videos online, and jump right in.

You can use your freshly assembled lower on the upper from your MP to function check. Mostly everything else that you will install on your build, will be subjective to your personal tastes.
Cool. The only mod I'm doing to my MP is switching out the Magpul handguard with a VISM M-Lok handguard

Nochturnal

C.S.I.
BGOL Investor

Great advice. My first AR-15 , I assembled an Aero Precision lower and purchased a Stag Arms upper. I did it in 2014 and to date have not had a failure to fire. The next one I think I'm going to do a complete build. Also debating on an AR-10.

bbuzzard

Skeptic
BGOL Investor
Cool. Any brands in particular you like better for their uppers, lowers, triggers, etc...
Uppers - do yor research, there are too many options and all the ones I have work fine, cheap or expensive
Lowers - as long as they are Milspec, you should be good to go
Triggers - depends, do your research. I run 2lb-6lb triggers, depending on the scenario
Scopes - do research, almost all areas have been covered before

Lastly, I like my AR's light (@6-8lbs) but that can be a problem in heavy duty social work.

ThaAnsa3

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When you say beginner...how much of a beginner? No experience with handguns or rifles? Don't rush to get an AR...there are better options for a beginner who wants a semi-auto rifle. Any gas impingement system will need to be maintained. If you don't have that kind of patience, go with another platform. Don't get me wrong, I have a number of AR's in different calibers but I tend to spend more time cleaning them than my other rifles...even more than my 22's, LOL.

I'm completely new. I learned that many consider them the best for home defense, even above a shotgun.

bbuzzard

Skeptic
BGOL Investor
I'm completely new. I learned that many consider them the best for home defense, even above a shotgun.
IMO, in your case, stick with the easy stuff for home defense. AR-15's are good for medium distance work but you need practice. I suggest a pistol and a shotgun at a minimum. If you have a gun range nearby, I suggest to see if they have loaner pistols to try out to see what you are comfortable with then make your decision on the caliber of ammo. Shotguns are simple, you either get a pump or semi. Pumps are typically problem free but you will need practice. Depending on the shell size, you may go with 20ga vs 12ga but it you want a one hit quit, 12ga is it. I'm sure others in this thread have some insight but that's my 2cents.

DiGeneral

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

IMO, in your case, stick with the easy stuff for home defense. AR-15's are good for medium distance work but you need practice. I suggest a pistol and a shotgun at a minimum. If you have a gun range nearby, I suggest to see if they have loaner pistols to try out to see what you are comfortable with then make your decision on the caliber of ammo. Shotguns are simple, you either get a pump or semi. Pumps are typically problem free but you will need practice. Depending on the shell size, you may go with 20ga vs 12ga but it you want a one hit quit, 12ga is it. I'm sure others in this thread have some insight but that's my 2cents.

^Pretty much, spot on. My only suggestion would be the addition of a good weapon light to your home defense firearm/s. Proper target identification and acquisition (especially during the heathen hours) is paramount.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
As much as I love my VP9, finding a holster is gonna be a challenge now since I'm bout to have a compensator added to go along with my O-Light PL Mini2 and Trijicon RMR

ThaAnsa3

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have three pistols and probably a fourth once I try out the CZ P10. I was trying to make sure I'm ready for even people get really crazy. Lol

DiGeneral

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
As much as I love my VP9, finding a holster is gonna be a challenge now since I'm bout to have a compensator added to go along with my O-Light PL Mini2 and Trijicon RMR

You are going to have to go with a custom rig.
You may have to ditch the comp, when you cc.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
Anyone own or have experience with the Canik TP9SFX? It's a beautiful looking full-size pistol but I've heard of issues with the brand
d8f7d8_3680fb96f817451b900335356a72171f~mv2.jpg

silentking

Occasional Superstar **
Registered
I been pretty anti gun most of my life. Not in general, just for me personally. I guess I felt like it would fuck up my karma balance....I was't tryin to attract the kind of energy to put me in a situation where I would need a gun. But...shit is crazy and I went and got a pistol yesterday. My pops and uncles always had guns, and I go to the range with my brother sometimes so I've been mostly shooting a 9mm Glock when I go. But I know I gotta have two hands and a solid stance with that piece so I was thinking for the purposes I need a pistol for, I wanted something a little lighter. I ended up going with a SW 380 MP Shield EZ. I'm thinking I'll get the Glock 9mm or a Mossberg pump next. We live in times where it might really go down, so I'm putting together a solid jump bag and hitting the range a little more frequently.

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
This past weekend I stopped by the range for some practice and set loose on 3 targets. The 1st was shot with a stance as if I was in a fight while the other two were shot with a stance where both feet were even & I was leaning more forward with a slight hunch. While I definitely saw improvement when I switched my stance, what other areas does it look like I should focus on for better accuracy based on my targets?
106445210_10164025912695694_7191394948501365566_n.jpg

106418589_10164025913070694_5573076779467721140_n.jpg
106611262_10164025913220694_7725242973787420988_n.jpg

DiGeneral

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This past weekend I stopped by the range for some practice and set loose on 3 targets. The 1st was shot with a stance as if I was in a fight while the other two were shot with a stance where both feet were even & I was leaning more forward with a slight hunch. While I definitely saw improvement when I switched my stance, what other areas does it look like I should focus on for better accuracy based on my targets?
106445210_10164025912695694_7191394948501365566_n.jpg

106418589_10164025913070694_5573076779467721140_n.jpg
106611262_10164025913220694_7725242973787420988_n.jpg

*** Disclaimer - I'm by no means an expert. I'm looking at your targets as if they were mine. My comments are what I would suggest to myself, I'm usually hyper critical on myself.

1st target looks like you were pushing your shots (groupings that have a prominence to the left of center). Pushing is usually indicative of improper trigger finger placement.

2nd target - Looks decent, I'd work on tightening the grouping by slowing down my shots. I'd also try to place my shots up a bit, into the thoracic cavity.

3rd target - Shots are a tad low, not sure if you placed low with your 1st shots and decided to work on groupings within the 9 ring. Work on consistent trigger finger placement (again pushing your shots). Get my shots into the 10 and X rings more consistenly.

Right now, I'm working on RDS pistol and becoming proficient. It's been humbling to have shot well with irons for so long. Only to shoot like a novice while training shooting RDS. I'll get it though.

6lQ2a6N.png

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
*** Disclaimer - I'm by no means an expert. I'm looking at your targets as if they were mine. My comments are what I would suggest to myself, I'm usually hyper critical on myself.

1st target looks like you were pushing your shots (groupings that have a prominence to the left of center). Pushing is usually indicative of improper trigger finger placement.

2nd target - Looks decent, I'd work on tightening the grouping by slowing down my shots. I'd also try to place my shots up a bit, into the thoracic cavity.

3rd target - Shots are a tad low, not sure if you placed low with your 1st shots and decided to work on groupings within the 9 ring. Work on consistent trigger finger placement (again pushing your shots). Get my shots into the 10 and X rings more consistenly.

Right now, I'm working on RDS pistol and becoming proficient. It's been humbling to have shot well with irons for so long. Only to shoot like a novice while training shooting RDS. I'll get it though.

6lQ2a6N.png
Much appreciated