How To Build A Home Theater - The Basics

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
Friend was just telling me over the weekend how he bought his OLED when they first broke the market. Paid $7k for it. Saying how it has such clarity and has dope 3D capabilities. But regrettably said 3D never took off and there's no more real availability of things or growth coming of it. So barely uses it. As in nothing like streaming or new stuff. Just have to find a disc with a movie or something.

Its why to me, in tech, it's better to wait and not be the first to jump on things.
$7k for a TV is crazy to me. Probably can't sell it for $1k now. Was it worth it?

He thinks VR killed the 3D market, which ultimately hasn't mass expanded either. Only to predominantly gamers. But you're not coming home and seeing the family all sitting watching VR headsets. Not happening...
3D been dead for a minute and VR still hasn't really caught on like that... 3D just never caught on like that

shit happens man, every new piece of technology comes down in price...its the cost of being an early adopter

OLED is just now beginning to come down to below premium market prices which spells trouble for LED

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
LG at CES 2023 : World’s First Wireless OLED TV | LG

LG Signature M3: The Worlds First Wireless OLED TV - Interview from CES 2023

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
CES 2023: Nakamichi Dragon 11.4.6 Home Theatre Surround System launched

Hisense Laser TV at CES 2023

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Making a LIFE SIZE GAMING SIMULATOR

Building a WINDOW with 3 Huge TVs

Last edited:

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
So I cut the cord and stream 100% now. The only thing that I really hate is the audio from these streaming services (Netflix, but Hulu with live TV especially). Picture is fine... But the audio sucks coming through the home theater. Got 300 up/down FIOS.

And before anyone asks, I'm using a Yamaha rx-v2085 av receiver.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Anyone in here ever used Geek Squad to set up their home theater?

Also, I know this is a home theater thread, but has anyone put a wet bar in their basement? Any ideas or suggestions on where to get this done?

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Don't forget that TVs have a "store display" mode so what you see in the store is not necessarily what you'll see at home. At home you are limited to what your service provider provides. You may only get 720 il which they'll call 1080 ps. So while you may have a 4k TV if the signal ain't 4k you're watching 720 il.
None of that pertains to outside sources where you get what you put in. laserdisc for instance.

And my constant advice:

STAY AWAY FROM BOSE

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Don't forget that TVs have a "store display" mode so what you see in the store is not necessarily what you'll see at home. At home you are limited to what your service provider provides. You may only get 720 il which they'll call 1080 ps. So while you may have a 4k TV if the signal ain't 4k you're watching 720 il.
None of that pertains to outside sources where you get what you put in. laserdisc for instance.

And my constant advice:

STAY AWAY FROM BOSE
What do you recommend?

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
What do you recommend?

For speakers, you're looking for monitors - something that is flat and has no tuning curve.

For the head unit there are several brands but more power is always better. Learn about RMS as opposed to output and also what resistance (OHMs) is involved. db level is important too. There should be videos on this stuff.
But avoid Bose because they tune the fuck out of their cabinets and then add resistors to further control the roll off of frequencies. They do the same in their head units. Basically their business model is to trick your ear into hearing something that isn't there.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
For speakers, you're looking for monitors - something that is flat and has no tuning curve.

For the head unit there are several brands but more power is always better. Learn about RMS as opposed to output and also what resistance (OHMs) is involved. db level is important too. There should be videos on this stuff.
But avoid Bose because they tune the fuck out of their cabinets and then add resistors to further control the roll off of frequencies. They do the same in their head units. Basically their business model is to trick your ear into hearing something that isn't there.
Thanks man

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member

And my constant advice:

STAY AWAY FROM BOSE

As this Salesman at the old HARVEY'S Audio Store on 45th St. in NYC said to Me during the Mid-80s.

"BOSE? BUY OTHER SOUND EQUIPMENT!"

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So I cut the cord and stream 100% now. The only thing that I really hate is the audio from these streaming services (Netflix, but Hulu with live TV especially). Picture is fine... But the audio sucks coming through the home theater. Got 300 up/down FIOS.

And before anyone asks, I'm using a Yamaha rx-v2085 av receiver.
I'm just one phone call away to DirecTV to finally cut the cord.
Finally got my Rokus set up so I can stream the little cable I still watch with my parents' Spectrum account.
But yeah, I know what you mean. I like good sound in my theater and most of the streaming apps have crappy sound.
You're lucky if you get DD 5.1 and forget about Atmos.

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
Shit becomes addicting and "upgraditis" is a real thing in home theater.
There's always SOMETHING you wanna upgrade and replace. :lo:
Always something better around the corner...some say when you buy something don't read anything about the hobby for a few years after....its bad and a lot of times, depending on your eyesight, hearing and preferences, the incremental improvements aint worth the cost...its a hobby that loves hyping up incremental differences....if you gonna spend, make sure the difference is real and not hyped up

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I just spent 16k on my living room theater setup. 7.1 Dolby Atmos speakers, new Onkyo receiver, 85 inch Sony Mini Led.
Damn, that's a lot. Which speakers and subs did you buy? Which brand Onkyo AVR? Did you consider getting a projector?
As long as you're happy with the setup, that's all that matters.

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
Damn, that's a lot. Which speakers and subs did you buy? Which brand Onkyo AVR? Did you consider getting a projector?
As long as you're happy with the setup, that's all that matters.
Now a good portion of that was pre-wiring and instillation. And let me be honest, not all of that was in the living room (but the bulk of the work was). We just renovated my home and extended it, and the total build with appliances and bells and whistles came in at 300k. 75% of my home was removed and rebuilt. For years, I always would cobble my systems together - so this time I said, "let me get a professional do it".

Why no Projector? Because we have large windows and with that much lightwe needed something that wouldnt wash-out so we wanted tv that was less reflective during the day. I also hate projectors as they never looked as good to me as TV's (especially Oleds)...

After research Mini-LED was what we settled with because it's great in rooms that have heavy light. It's also Sony, which is my favorite brand. (I've owned 4 Bravias at this point) And usally when we upgrade we just move the older one's to another room.

The installer went with Martin Logan in-wall speakers. And I picked a Kef subwoofer. I don't have all the serials in front of me. But we wanted things to be seamless and not have wires and junk everywhere. It was a bitch with the HDMI wires because the originals I bought were the old-school ones that weren't HDMI 2.1 (8k's) and the installer had to come back and get behind the walls again. Dude did the damn thing.

We had family over for my grand's 1st b-day and we let fam watch some trailers and they were blown away with the sound and picture. I'm talking people outside were coming in from the yard blown away. Here's a pick of the living room, I might upload more later.

20230329-221413b.jpg

We're still unpacking after 5 months of living in what used to be my home gym on my property (seperate building).

Last edited: