How To Build A Home Theater - The Basics

dasailr03

A Goddamn Sailor!
BGOL Investor
Got mine built last fall. Did it as part of finally getting the basement done. It sounds awesome and looks BETTER than AMC and REGAL .
Itsa 135in screen with a 7.3.4 atmos setup.(5.1 with 2 surrounds and 2 rear speakers 3 subs and 4 ceiling (atmos) speakers. 4k projector. Color chainging Led lighting strips set it off.
why the need for 3 subs? I under the one sub but what are the other two pushing?Diagloue is primary being worked by the center channel, so why the extra subs?

black again

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
why the need for 3 subs? I under the one sub but what are the other two pushing?Diagloue is primary being worked by the center channel, so why the extra subs?
Because when it is an explosion in the movie, that nigga wants to feel it not hear it!

Mannn, thank you for that question about subs, cuz I've said the same thing recently...

I used to have a system with about 4 powered subs... about 100watts each in them.

I got em all free..so, why not :lol:

However, one Sunfire...or a big 15"Klipsch will rock damn near any average size theater.

At best, maybe one in the front and one in the back. Unless you have a massive theater, more than that is prolly overkill, imo...but as a former AV salesman...sheeid, I'd have sold a person 10 subs, if I could justify it.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
20220107-235504.jpg

20220108-070405.jpg

20220108-070713.jpg

20220108-124025.jpg

Just started putting together my joint Friday night
Nice start, but you gotta paint those walls and ceiling a dark color to get the best picture.
Get some curtains to block out the sunlight from that window.
Where do you have the speakers?

dasailr03

A Goddamn Sailor!
BGOL Investor
Pretty much....LOL!!!! There is no replacement for displacement, if you don't feel the room pressurize and feel it in your chest you're doing it wrong. Same thing goes for car audio.. you gotta feel the Bass...

Yeah i get the audio portion but in a home theater to me its' the subtle shit that rocks.... when someone presses a door bell you and you get up to check your door... or when a bird or plane fly overhead at a high distance and you look up to look for it.. that's some nice shit there.. as far as the bass, my one sub i had lets me know some shit went down .. but having more than one seems pointless to me.

black again

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah i get the audio portion but in a home theater to me its' the subtle shit that rocks.... when someone presses a door bell you and you get up to check your door... or when a bird or plane fly overhead at a high distance and you look up to look for it.. that's some nice shit there.. as far as the bass, my one sub i had lets me know some shit went down .. but having more than one seems pointless to me.

I wouldn't say more than one is pointless...I think 2 is perfect, but I've seen 2 monster subs right up front, only a few feet apart.

Totally agree with everything else!!

Imo, it's the same as when dude's were rolling around with subs rattling their trunk, thinking that sounded great...loud and ACCURATE is the goal...not loud and mushy.

Which of y'all have an ATMOS system hooked up and how much better is it?

I would think if it's just overhead effects, there's not that many times it would be noticed...

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Having two subs allows for better bass displacement throughout the room, preferably one in each corner of the room.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I wouldn't say more than one is pointless...I think 2 is perfect, but I've seen 2 monster subs right up front, only a few feet apart.

Totally agree with everything else!!

Imo, it's the same as when dude's were rolling around with subs rattling their trunk, thinking that sounded great...loud and ACCURATE is the goal...not loud and mushy.

Which of y'all have an ATMOS system hooked up and how much better is it?

I would think if it's just overhead effects, there's not that many times it would be noticed...
I have an Atmos system. It's CRITICAL that the speakers are placed correctly in the room.
Don't buy the floor speakers that "simulate" Atmos with up firing speakers. I have the RSL C34E 12" in-ceiling speakers and they sound great.
It really depends on the movie you're watching and what soundtrack comes with it as to whether it's worth it or "better".
Action/adventure movies with Atmos soundtracks sound AMAZING when done correctly.
For example, you can hear the helicopter propellers directly above your head.
They also sound great when listening to music. I like to put my receiver on 'Multichannel' mode so I hear the music from every speaker (I have a 7.4.2 system).

black again

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have an Atmos system. It's CRITICAL that the speakers are placed correctly in the room.
Don't buy the floor speakers that "simulate" Atmos with up firing speakers. I have the RSL C34E 12" in-ceiling speakers and they sound great.
It really depends on the movie you're watching and what soundtrack comes with it as to whether it's worth it or "better".
Action/adventure movies with Atmos soundtracks sound AMAZING when done correctly.
For example, you can hear the helicopter propellers directly above your head.
They also sound great when listening to music. I like to put my receiver on 'Multichannel' mode so I hear the music from every speaker (I have a 7.4.2 system).

Mannnn, that must sound amazing on a big action joint!

There was a time I couldn't watch a movie, unless it was in my theater...sound cranked, in what at the time was simply Dolby digital...

Now? I'm lucky if I even get outta the bed to watch one...

But for serious, first time viewing of a great flick, nothing beats a killer home theater.

Aww Skeet Skeet!

The antithesis of nonsense.
BGOL Investor
I'm looking at getting some theater furniture in the near future. Seatcraft seems to be a household name. But I'm open to any suggestions. Also are Bass shakers worth it?

Current equipment:
7.2 setup (will add height speakers one day)
RX-V2085
Polk Lsim front stage (LCR)
SVS Prime Satellites (x4)
SVS SB-3000 (x2)

TREES

O.G.
BGOL Investor
S
I'm looking at getting some theater furniture in the near future. Seatcraft seems to be a household name. But I'm open to any suggestions. Also are Bass shakers worth it?

Current equipment:
RX-V2085
SVS SB-3000 (x2)
Svs!!!!!!!! Props!!!

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Current equipment:
RX-V2085
SVS SB-3000 (x2)
These are the chairs I have in my theater:

Not familiar with Seatcraft, but just look for something comfortable. Don't need to break the bank on chairs.
Bass shakers can be worth it if you really enjoy feeling the bass.

Aww Skeet Skeet!

BGOL Investor
These are the chairs I have in my theater:

Not familiar with Seatcraft, but just look for something comfortable. Don't need to break the bank on chairs.
Bass shakers can be worth it if you really enjoy feeling the bass.

Dope. Thanks for the reply. I'll check these out.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dope. Thanks for the reply. I'll check these out.
Check out the other chairs they have on the site too. I bought these specifically because they are narrow and therefore I could fit more seats in.
They have wider chairs which may work better for you if you have the space.
The sales guy, Roman, is very easy to deal with too.

Aww Skeet Skeet!

BGOL Investor
Check out the other chairs they have on the site too. I bought these specifically because they are narrow and therefore I could fit more seats in.
They have wider chairs which may work better for you if you have the space.
The sales guy, Roman, is very easy to deal with too.

I think I might go with these. I'm in the same boat given room size constraints, and I need at least 4 wide. How's the comfort on these? Is the narrow seat noticable?

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I think I might go with these. I'm in the same boat given room size constraints, and I need at least 4 wide. How's the comfort on these? Is the narrow seat noticable?
Very comfortable seats. If I didn't know these were their narrowest seats, I wouldn't even be able to tell. I would buy them again without hesitation.