How To Build A Home Theater - The Basics

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You laughing now. Wait until there are no new movies for you to watch in that theatre you got.
:roflmao2:
you-seem-upset-jack-donaghy.gif
:roflmao2:

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor
This newer generation don't care about the whole movie experience and physical media like my generation and other generations did and it's not much that can de done to change it. Hollywood just has to get with the times and adjust their business model for this new generation.

nativeneworleanian06

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't know how I missed this blog. However, I'm damn glad I found it.

For those of you with the Ultra Short Throw projectors, what drawbacks have you experienced so far?

I'm in the market for an UST projector as a replacement for my main long throw projector that is starting to show its age. The ForMovie Theater UST projector is impressive.

As for the two subwoofers in one room, I have two in one room that does a great job of filling and leveling out the bass in the room without sounding too boomy.

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor

For those of you with the Ultra Short Throw projectors, what drawbacks have you experienced so far?

I'm in the market for an UST projector as a replacement for my main long throw projector that is starting to show its age. The ForMovie Theater UST projector is impressive.

As for the two subwoofers in one room, I have two in one room that does a great job of filling and leveling out the bass in the room without sounding too boomy.

Wheeeeell, the projector is nice if it's for a specific application. eg you don't have room or want to move it around. But other than that a big honking flatscreen is always going to be better viewing. Cheaper too.

idk who said what about the subs but 2 in a room is fine. They have to be adjusted though. Well, every part of a HTS should be adjusted since we're dealing with signal delays to simulate spatial dynamics.
Also, the ears of people have been dumbed down for decades. People now listen to 192 bitrate and think it's fine. Music and dialog are so compressed half the time you can't even understand what they're saying. Which is why your source and your delivery need to be top-notch IMO.

And as always, I leave you all with these words of wisdom:

STAY AWAY FROM BOSE!

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor

Dont have a projector but everything I have heard states that the long throw projectors are better than the equivalent USTs...if you already have a long throw projector and are planning to use the same space (assumption and you know what they say about that), why not get another long throw?...all the reviews I have seen about USTs state how its a pain to set the picture up just right and they are mainly a compromise solution built for smaller spaces and living rooms (TV replacements)

If you actually have a home theater space with light control etc wouldnt another long throw be better?

nativeneworleanian06

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I had a setup in the home that we have recently moved out of. The home we are in now requires a new setup.

My projector is an Optoma HD80 from 2004. I've replaced the lamp multiple times (to be expected when projector was used almost daily by the rugrats and myself). This projector is still functioning properly. However, I am ready to explore something new. For example, whether or not the single or triple laser projectors can deliver the same level (or better) of contrast that a lamp (bulb) projector can, etc.

Last edited:

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor
I had a setup in the home that we have recently moved out of. The home we are in now requires a new setup.

My projector is an Optoma HD80 from 2004. I've replaced the lamp multiple times (to be expected when projector was used almost daily by the rugrats and myself). This projector is still functioning properly. However, I am ready to explore something new. For example, whether or not the single or triple laser projectors can deliver the same level (or better) of contrast that a lamp (bulb) projector can, etc.
Got you. As expected, I assumed incorrectly. There are a couple dudes on here who have USTs so hopefully they chime in.

You might know about these sites already but just in case you don't, check out avsforum.com for all AV info in general (they got a projector section) and projectorcentral.com to check on the specs etc for specific projectors. There is another site like projectorcentral but I am drawing a blank right now.

doe moe

Rising Star
Platinum Member

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

If you have the space, get another long throw projector. USTs are really only used if you don't have the space and have to compromise.
I have an Epson 5050 and I love it. The laser projectors are nice but there is some compromise when it comes to contrast and black levels.

slewdem100

Rising Star
OG Investor

nworba

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i got the hook up on klipsch and they sound amazing

my next upgrade is a atmos receiver but I'm not in a real big hurry

almost bought a 4k TV around Christmas and changed my mind

glad i didn't fall into the 3D trap LOL
I kept putting off buying a 3D long enough until they stopped making them

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
Friend was just telling me over the weekend how he bought his OLED when they first broke the market. Paid $7k for it. Saying how it has such clarity and has dope 3D capabilities. But regrettably said 3D never took off and there's no more real availability of things or growth coming of it. So barely uses it. As in nothing like streaming or new stuff. Just have to find a disc with a movie or something.

Its why to me, in tech, it's better to wait and not be the first to jump on things.
$7k for a TV is crazy to me. Probably can't sell it for $1k now. Was it worth it?

He thinks VR killed the 3D market, which ultimately hasn't mass expanded either. Only to predominantly gamers. But you're not coming home and seeing the family all sitting watching VR headsets. Not happening...