JOKER (2019) Discussion Thread Starring Joaquin Phoenix (Update 9/12/19) Leaked Footage.. GOOD GAWD

Tha Great Muta

Rising Star
Platinum Member
his performance is not impressive based on that scene, nowhere near the level of jack and def in no way approaching the evil of ledger. It felt like he was acting in that scene. You don’t even see heath ledger when you look at his joker. I think it’ll be a good movie that’s goi to be way overhyped by one side and hated on for being incel fuel by the other. But I do want to see it. I don’t see how that scene would move anyone. Like you said oh wow he shot someone lol he also killed robin and sexually assaulted barb gordon, he literally brain washes and abuses Harley Quinn but oh wow he shot a guy on tv lol lol lol I know the constant onslaught of bubble gum brightly colored marvel fluff has everyone wanting more from movies but idk

Shit I'll take it a step further and said Mark Hamil in the Arkham games was scarier.....he just comes off as a dude with that's little off and you would be cool with him if you nice to him rather than a homicidal terrorist that genuinely is pure evil.

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
Shit I'll take it a step further and said Mark Hamil in the Arkham games was scarier.....he just comes off as a dude with that's little off and you would be cool with him if you nice to him rather than a homicidal terrorist that genuinely is pure evil.
mark hamils joker especially in the animated series is def one of the greatest of all time if not the greatest. Forgot to mention him since was keeping it live action but solid point. They should have called this movie the man who laughs(after the silent film inspiring joker) and not connected it to the dceu in any way. I think that would have worked better. Still I’ll give it a watch

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
He def sounds butt hurt in that clip as apposed to ledger who was an agent of chaos, he felt like chaos personified. Now I know it’s not fare to compare the performances especially not having fully seen the new one but I think ledgers joker is safe lol

Multi - P Limited

Rising Star
Registered
Joker Is A Dangerous Film — & It’s Bringing Out The Worst In The Internet

Kathleen Newman-Bremang
Refinery29September 13, 2019

Joker had its North American premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival on Monday. In the days since, the takes have been coming in hot. On Twitter, the reaction seems to fall into two camps: It’s either a near-perfect masterpiece, or it’s a dangerous manifesto for radical and lonely white men who may look to Arthur Fleck’s deranged descent into the Joker of comic-book lore as heroic instead of villainous.

Joker is an impressive cinematic achievement, featuring an extraordinary (albeit a tad exhibitionist) performance by Joaquin Phoenix as Fleck, and it’s a poisonous story for a fraught time. Did we really need a brutal movie about a white terrorist figure who uses gun violence to enact revenge on the society that rejects him? And did we need it now?

Joker is a story that empathizes with a violent sociopath. Fleck is a clown-by-hire and aspiring comedian living with his mother. The most ironic and tragic cruelty of his life is that he’s got a condition that causes him to laugh maniacally at inappropriate times.He is bullied and beat up — by a group of kids on the street, his coworkers, some rich suits on the subway — and the film uses these encounters to explain his murderous origins. “Joker is the antihero the alienated and angry have been waiting for, and that’s precisely the problem,” wrote Sarah Hagi in a column about the film for the Globe and Mail. “I do yawn at the idea of another story in which white men are offered a sort of understanding for their violence.”

Unfortunately for women who write things on the internet, threats come to with the gig, particularly when the thing you are writing about is comic book movies.

Joker fans who are already invoking the fanboy venom we’ve become accustom to (see: Star Wars) doesn’t surprise me. Unfortunately for women who write things on the internet, threats come to with the gig, particularly when the thing you are writing about is comic book movies. In Hagi’s case, being called a “reverse racist” (a thing that does not exist) is nothing new for critics of color, especially women critics of color. But it’s still infuriating. One reader didn’t understand why Hagi brought up race at all in her essay. Remember, Joker‘s narrative focuses on a white dude’s pain. (Even though he gets a Black “love interest” in the enigmatic Zazie Beetz.) The argument that identity politics shouldn’t be discussed over a film that director Todd Phillips describes as a “character study” and is literally a two-hour exploration of one man’s identity is preposterous.

61319b8d8dc2da97f39ff80c01085f5b

also have the right to analyze that movie as a part of the culture in which it was made, and we have every right to express if and why a film makes us uneasy."
Some may argue that it’s unfair to equate a fictional character to real-life terrorists or that it shouldn’t be the responsibility of a filmmaker to make only safe art that can never be misinterpreted or glorified by violent people. Similarly, critics also have the right to analyze that movie as a part of the culture in which it was made, and we have every right to express if and why a film makes us uneasy.

But given that the Joker discourse is holding up a mirror to the worst parts of the internet,I’m expecting some blow back myself. That’s okay. I’m a Black woman with a Twitter account and opinions. I’m used to it.

Joker hits theaters October 4. " data-reactid="35" style="margin-bottom: 1em;">Joker hits theaters October 4.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I have one link

Jesus!!! GOOD LORD!!!

Heavy Spoiler... You have been warned.. Heavy Spoiler.... but Jesus.. for those saying this is going to suck... Shiiiieeeeeetttt!!!

https://peervideo.net/videos/watch/215413ec-f1dc-4aad-a2f2-b170085faf48

I just CAN'T..

too much hate and backlash...

I want to see this in its entirety

Its not fair to judge it off a bootleg clip.

We need to go in fresh and be fair.

Cause listen I DO see @ViCiouS point though its VALID.

Let's see this is COMPLETE

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
https://www.vice.com/amp/en_us/arti...fyingly-realistic-window-into-white-terrorism

'Joker' Is a Terrifyingly Realistic Window Into White Terrorism

We need to reckon with how closely Todd Phillips's villain mirrors real-life mass shooters, and the poisonous ideologies they subscribe to.

This is becoming a consistent fear of nearly every reviewer...

They talking that sh*t into existence

If there is ANY type of incident they just waiting to go at WB/DC full on.

gtg305h

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have one link

Jesus!!! GOOD LORD!!!

Heavy Spoiler... You have been warned.. Heavy Spoiler.... but Jesus.. for those saying this is going to suck... Shiiiieeeeeetttt!!!

https://peervideo.net/videos/watch/215413ec-f1dc-4aad-a2f2-b170085faf48

Meh...throw a MAGA hat on him and he’s “mentally ill” and it’s society’s fault...this could have been more impressive if they casted Joker as a black man dealing with all the psychosis caused by institutional racism...I knew kats would slob all over this predictable ass movie just because some white folks in Canada said so..

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Joker: Joaquin Phoenix Walks Out of Interview Over Controversial Question

A question about the potential real-world impact of the upcoming DC film Joker led Joaquin Phoenix to walk out of an interview during the film's press tour. The upcoming film, positioned as a character study of a mentally ill man and a story separate from the DCEU, has proven to be a polarizing one ahead of its October 4 release date.Joker was recently awarded the Golden Lion at the 2019 Venice Film Festival, while Phoenix's performance as the mentally unstable Arthur Fleck has earned widespread praise and even Oscar buzz. Additionally, with its theatrical debut just two weeks away, the film is also tracking to be a major success at the box office.

However, even amid all its early accolades and critical praise, Joker has also proven to be among the most hotly debated films of the year. With the film focusing on Arthur Fleck's gradual descent into madness, and eventual transformation into Gotham City's homicidal Clown Prince of Crime, some have expressed concern that the film could inspire acts of violence similar to those committed by Fleck in real-life. The focal point of the controversy has been with the similarity between the film's portrayal of Fleck and that of recent mass shooters.

The film's detractors have specifically taken issue with the movie's perceived sympathetic view of Fleck's actions, and that the character's quest for vengeance upon society mirrors the motives of mass murderers that have tragically dominated headlines in recent days. During an interview with The Telegraph, Phoenix was asked if he shared the concern that Joker "might perversely end up inspiring exactly the kind of people it's about, with potentially tragic results?" Taken aback by the question, Phoenix walked out of the interview, though he ultimately returned after the issue was reconciled with Warner Bros. PR department.

Between the controversy surrounding the movie and the tremendous praise heaped upon Phoenix's performance in the title role, Joker is sure to be one of the most talked about movies of the year. Director Todd Phillips has explained that the film's portrayal of Arthur Fleck has its basis in real-life mental health issues. Specifically, Fleck suffers from a condition that causes him to spontaneously burst into laughter as the result of a head injury. This ultimately adds more misery to Fleck's life in Joker, leading him further down his murderous path over the course of the film.

The method acting Phoenix underwent for the role is already the stuff of legend, with the Joker's laugh in particular being an element of the character that Phoenix worked tirelessly to perfect, to say nothing of his astonishing weight loss visible in the trailers for the film. Joker is hardly the only major film to be beset with controversies stemming from its perceived connection to real-world tragedies. However, it is unlikely to prevent the film from being a success, though it has made the press tour for the movie a noticeably more tense one than most major comic book films experience. Ultimately, audiences will have the chance to see for themselves what Phoenix's performance and the film's portrayal of a mentally ill person unleashing their repressed fury on the world entail. At a minimum, all of the talk regarding the appropriateness of Joker in the current political climate only serves to illustrate just how much of an impact the film has already had before the general public has even had the chance to see it.

fu2

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That's the thing. Given how many people identify with a character like the Joker, it's dangerous to automatically say that this will fuel people to act on their violent desires. To me it's a scapegoat. Instead of pointing out exactly why white males are so violent, they waited for something to be their perfect explanation without saying what it is. And instead of answering the question of can this movie inspire more to commit mass acts if violence with, "As opposed to the mass acts of violence that's already happened along with the killer's telling you why they did it?".

Outside of that, while I'll still see it, I am annoyed with them trying to do everything except getting the main character right. Just like the CW Arrowverse. We about to have multiple versions of Superman, and no Batman. Bruce? Yes. Kevin Conroy is a he'll of a consolation prize, but still.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@fonzerrillii
@ViCiouS

Uh oh...

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-49816205

Families of those killed while watching a Batman film in 2012 have written to Warner Bros with concerns about the new Joker film and urging the studio to join action against gun violence.

Twelve people died in a cinema showing The Dark Knight Rises in Colorado.

They included Jessica Ghawi, 24, whose mother Sandy Phillips told BBC News she was "horrified" by the Joker trailers.

Warner Bros said the film - which stars Joaquin Phoenix - was not an endorsement of real-world violence.

Phoenix walked out of a recent interview when asked about the issue.
Sandy Phillips and her husband, Lonnie, who run Survivors Empowered, an anti-gun violence group, wrote to Warner Bros along with three others whose relatives were killed, injured or caught up in the 2012 shooting.

Speaking to BBC News, Mrs Phillips said: "When I first saw the trailers of the movie, I was absolutely horrified.

"And then when I dug a little deeper and found out that it had such unnecessary violence in the movie, it just chilled me to my bones.

"It just makes me angry that a major motion picture company isn't taking responsibility and doesn't have the concern of the public at all."

The families' letter said: "When we learned that Warner Bros was releasing a movie called Joker that presents the character as a protagonist with a sympathetic origin story, it gave us pause.

"We support your right to free speech and free expression. But as anyone who has ever seen a comic book movie can tell you: with great power comes great responsibility. That's why we're calling on you to use your massive platform and influence to join us in our fight to build safer communities with fewer guns."

The letter asked the studio to lobby for gun reform, help fund survivor funds and gun violence intervention schemes, and end political contributions to candidates who take money from the National Rifle Association.

In its response, the studio said it has "a long history of donating to victims of violence", including the 2012 cinema shooting in Aurora, Colorado.

It added: "Make no mistake: neither the fictional character Joker, nor the film, is an endorsement of real-world violence of any kind. It is not the intention of the film, the filmmakers or the studio to hold this character up as a hero."

Joker, which is released in the US on 4 October, has received rave reviews and has been tipped for Oscar nominations, but is also stirring controversy for its portrayals of mental illness and violence. It shows the origin story of Batman's nemesis.

Time magazine's Stephanie Zacharek said it was guilty of "aggressive and possibly irresponsible idiocy", while Variety's reviewer Owen Gleiberman said the film "does something that flirts with danger - it gives evil a clown-mask makeover, turning it into the sickest possible form of cool".

IndieWire's critic David Ehrlich wrote that there were "moments of shocking violence", and that the "story can't help but feel aspirational".

Phoenix, who plays the title role, left an interview with the Telegraph when he was asked if he was worried that the film might end up inspiring the kind of people it's about, with potentially tragic results. He later returned, explaining that he was thrown because the question hadn't crossed his mind.

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
They act like the Aurora shooting was obvious. It was fuckin anti gun Batman. I can see a copycat trying to get famous but just use metal detectors.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Joker premiered at the 76th Venice International Film Festival on August 31, 2019, where it won the Golden Lion, the festival's highest prize. It is scheduled to be theatrically released in the United States on October 4, 2019. The film received positive reviews from critics, with particular praise for Phoenix's performance.

Whhhhhhaaaaa shit been out since Aug....

Yo screener season gotta be soon

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Whhhhhhaaaaa shit been out since Aug....

Yo screener season gotta be soon

Definitely wish there were leaks coming from festival season(s). Especially since so many movies are featured months ahead of time. Heavy security at those industry events.

I used to win advanced screening tickets regularly to premieres. Lots of online contests, etc. The movies were usually sneak-previewed 1 - 2 days ahead of time. The contest winners would always scratch our heads when they would preview stuff several weeks ahead of time. Sometimes 3 - 5 weeks early. Went to the Lincoln screening back in the day (Daniel Day-Lewis won for Best Actor) and they were scanning people for electronic gadgets at the entrance, bagging peoples' cellphones, and had 3 security guards walking around during the movie with night vision looking to see if people had somehow snuck in other recording devices.

People were laughing in the lobby afterward like - "Why the fuck did you release it 3 weeks early then? Just release it the night before ..."

:roflmao3:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Lincoln_(film)

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Warner Bros. Responds to Aurora Theater’s Decision to Not Show Joker
By Hunter Harris@hunteryharris
24-joker.w330.h330.jpg

Photo: Niko Tavernise/Warner Bros.

The Aurora, Colorado movie theater where a mass shooter killed 12 moviegoers and injured 70 more in 2012 will not screen Joker. According to TMZ, the Century Aurora and XD — the remodeled Century 16 theater — is not selling tickets for Joker becuase it won’t show the movie. Five family members of Aurora shooting victims penned a letter to Joker’s distributor Warner Bros., asking that the studio consider donating to charities that help victims of gun violence, and expressing concerns over the movie’s content and portrayal of the Joker character. On Tuesday, Warner Bros. replied with a statement:

Gun violence in our society is a critical issue, and we extend our deepest sympathy to all victims and families impacted by these tragedies. Our company has a long history of donating to victims of violence, including Aurora, and in recent weeks, our parent company joined other business leaders to call on policymakers to enact bi-partisan legislation to address this epidemic. At the same time, Warner Bros. believes that one of the functions of storytelling is to provoke difficult conversations around complex issues. Make no mistake: neither the fictional character Joker, nor the film, is an endorsement of real-world violence of any kind. Is it not the intention of the film, the filmmakers or the studio to hold this character up as a hero.

In 2012, after a screening of The Dark Knight Rises, the gunman James Holmes attacked the Aurora audience with an assault rifle and other weapons. Initially, Holmes was linked to the Joker character because of his bright orange hair and reports that he’d called himself that, but that reporting was later found to be false. In 2015, Holmes was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole.

@fonzerrillii @largebillsonlyplease @ViCiouS

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
https://io9.gizmodo.com/u-s-military-issues-warning-to-troops-about-incel-viol-1838412331

MOVIESDC UNIVERSE
U.S. Military Issues Warning to Troops About Incel Violence at Joker Screenings [Updated]

Dell Cameron

Yesterday 4:59pm
Filed to: JOKER
yblp3onebung9rpnenpb.png

Joaquin Phoenix in a clown mask in Todd Philips’ Joker.
Image: Warner Bros.
The U.S. military has warned service members about the potential for a mass shooter at screenings of the Warner Bros. film Joker, which has sparked wide concerns from, among others, the families of those killed during the 2012 mass shooting in Aurora, Colorado.

The U.S. Army confirmed on Tuesday that the warning was widely distributed after social media posts related to extremists classified as “incels,” were uncovered by intelligence officials at the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

In a September 18th email, service members were instructed to remain aware of their surroundings and “identify two escape routes” when entering theaters. In the event of a shooting, they were instructed to “run, hide, fight.”

“Run if you can,” the safety notice said. “If you’re stuck, hide (also known as ‘sheltering in place’), and stay quiet. If a shooter finds you, fight with whatever you can.”

A separate memo, issued on Monday by senior officials in the U.S. Army’s criminal investigation division, stated that the Army had obtained “credible” intelligence from Texas law enforcement officials pertaining to “disturbing and very specific chatter” on the dark web “regarding the targeting of an unknown movie theater during the release.”

“We do this routinely because the safety and security of our workforce is paramount,” an Army spokesperson said of the widely distributed warning. “We want our workforce to be prepared and diligent on personal safety both inside the workplace and out.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Incel is a term that was adopted in the ‘90s by an online subgroup of self-professed “involuntary celibate” men. Over time, some radicalized members of the incel community have formed an ideology that promotes violence. Elliot Rodger self-identified as an incel before he killed six people near the campus of the University of California, Santa Barbara in 2014. And James Holmes, the man who opened fire in a crowded movie theater in 2012 has become a bit of a hero to the incel community. It’s often been repeated that Holmes was inspired by the Joker, a claim that primarily rests on statements the killer reportedly made to police after the fact in which he said he “was the Joker.” Speaking with the Hollywood Reporter, Daniel Oates, Aurora’s chief of police at the time, said that “there is no evidence” the shooter ever said that.

In the alert emailed to service members, Army officials claimed that incels “also idolize the Joker character, the violent clown from the Batman series, admiring his depiction as a man who must pretend to be happy, but eventually fights back against bullies.”

“While our standard practice is to not comment on specific intelligence products, the FBI is in touch with our law enforcement and private sector partners about the online posts,” an FBI spokesperson said. “As always, we encourage the public to remain vigilant and to promptly report suspicious activity to law enforcement.”

ADVERTISEMENT

In an age of frequent mass shootings by predominately white American men—at least some of whom have referenced in writing their frustrations with sex—the film has sparked controversy over its desire to compel its audience (at least in its first half) to empathize with a mentally unbalanced and unloved “loser” who inevitably resorts to mass murder.

The gritty film, starring Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker, reportedly makes strides to depict its titular character in a far more realistic fashion than his comics counterpart. Rather than being transformed into the “Joker” after falling into a vat of acid—as the villain so often does in depictions of his DC Comics origin—a harsh life compounded by constant mockery and an inability to “get the girl” is what ultimately leads to his rise as the infamously batty executioner of comic book lore.

The Hollywood Reporter reported Tuesday that families who lost relatives in the Aurora shooting, which claimed the lives of 12 moviegoers in 2012 during a screening of the Batman film The Dark Knight Rises, signed a letter this week to Warner Bros. sharing concerns about the Joker film. With the film set to open on October 4th, the families asked the legendary film studio to donate to groups that aid victims of gun violence.

“We are calling on you to be a part of the growing chorus of corporate leaders who understand that they have a social responsibility to keep us all safe,” the letter reportedly says. The film will not be shown in the Colorado theater where the shooting occurred.

An Air Force officer at Robbins Air Force Base in Georgia—granted anonymity to discuss the Defense Department’s warning freely—said that such notices are occasionally circulated by security managers, but only when deemed “credible.” The officer said that in some cases, commanders may issue an advisory in response; however, one was not issued in this case.

“Frankly, beyond the email, I’ve heard little about it,” the officer said. “A few folks said they’d avoid opening night, or passed it on to their family members for consideration, but I haven’t heard much else in conversation beyond that.”

Warner Bros. did not respond to a request for comment.

In a statement broadly addressing the controversy over the film, Warner Bros. called gun violence a “critical issue” and said that in recent weeks it has called on policymakers to enact legislation to address what it called an “epidemic” of violence. Regardless, the purpose of storytelling, it said, was to “provoke difficult conversations around complex issues.” The company went on to make clear that the film does not endorse real-world violence and said that “it is not the intention of the film, the filmmakers or the studio to hold this character up as a hero.”

You can read the email that was circulated by the military in full below:

Team,

Posts on social media have made reference to involuntary celibate (“incel”) extremists replicating the 2012 theater shooting in Aurora, Colorado, at screenings of the Joker movie at nationwide theaters. This presents a potential risk to DOD personnel and family members, though there are no known specific credible threats to the opening of the Joker on 4 October.

Incels are individuals who express frustration from perceived disadvantages to starting intimate relationships. Incel extremists idolize violent individuals like the Aurora movie theater shooter. They also idolize the Joker character, the violent clown from the Batman series, admiring his depiction as a man who must pretend to be happy, but eventually fights back against his bullies.

When entering theaters, identify two escape routes, remain aware of your surroundings, and remember the phrase “run, hide, fight.” Run if you can. If you’re stuck, hide (also referred to as “sheltering in place”), and stay quiet. If a shooter finds you, fight with whatever you can.

** this is a condensed version of an HQ Army Materiel Command, G-3, Protection Division Security message **

ADVERTISEMENT

Got a tip? Contact the reporter by email (dell@gizmodo.com) or send an encrypted text using Signal to 202-556-0846.

Update, 6:30 p.m.: We’ve added a comment from the FBI.

Update, 11:00 p.m.: Added details about a 2nd memo obtained by i09, posted in full below.

For more, make sure you’re following us on our new Instagram @io9dotcom.

ShareTweet

Want io9’s email newsletter?
By subscribing you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

More from our network

© 2019 G/O Media Inc.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
@fonzerrillii
@ViCiouS

Uh oh...

Families of those killed while watching a Batman film in 2012 have written to Warner Bros with concerns about the new Joker film and urging the studio to join action against gun violence.

Twelve people died in a cinema showing The Dark Knight Rises in Colorado.

They included Jessica Ghawi, 24, whose mother Sandy Phillips told BBC News she was "horrified" by the Joker trailers.

Warner Bros said the film - which stars Joaquin Phoenix - was not an endorsement of real-world violence.

Phoenix walked out of a recent interview when asked about the issue.
Sandy Phillips and her husband, Lonnie, who run Survivors Empowered, an anti-gun violence group, wrote to Warner Bros along with three others whose relatives were killed, injured or caught up in the 2012 shooting.

Speaking to BBC News, Mrs Phillips said: "When I first saw the trailers of the movie, I was absolutely horrified.

"And then when I dug a little deeper and found out that it had such unnecessary violence in the movie, it just chilled me to my bones.

"It just makes me angry that a major motion picture company isn't taking responsibility and doesn't have the concern of the public at all."

The families' letter said: "When we learned that Warner Bros was releasing a movie called Joker that presents the character as a protagonist with a sympathetic origin story, it gave us pause.

"We support your right to free speech and free expression. But as anyone who has ever seen a comic book movie can tell you: with great power comes great responsibility. That's why we're calling on you to use your massive platform and influence to join us in our fight to build safer communities with fewer guns."

The letter asked the studio to lobby for gun reform, help fund survivor funds and gun violence intervention schemes, and end political contributions to candidates who take money from the National Rifle Association.

In its response, the studio said it has "a long history of donating to victims of violence", including the 2012 cinema shooting in Aurora, Colorado.

It added: "Make no mistake: neither the fictional character Joker, nor the film, is an endorsement of real-world violence of any kind. It is not the intention of the film, the filmmakers or the studio to hold this character up as a hero."

Joker, which is released in the US on 4 October, has received rave reviews and has been tipped for Oscar nominations, but is also stirring controversy for its portrayals of mental illness and violence. It shows the origin story of Batman's nemesis.

Time magazine's Stephanie Zacharek said it was guilty of "aggressive and possibly irresponsible idiocy", while Variety's reviewer Owen Gleiberman said the film "does something that flirts with danger - it gives evil a clown-mask makeover, turning it into the sickest possible form of cool".

IndieWire's critic David Ehrlich wrote that there were "moments of shocking violence", and that the "story can't help but feel aspirational".

Phoenix, who plays the title role, left an interview with the Telegraph when he was asked if he was worried that the film might end up inspiring the kind of people it's about, with potentially tragic results. He later returned, explaining that he was thrown because the question hadn't crossed his mind.

The movie has not come out, mofos have not seen it and they opening their big mouth about how much they hate.

All they doing is hyping it up and helping it bring in more money.