JOKER (2019) Discussion Thread Starring Joaquin Phoenix (Update 9/12/19) Leaked Footage.. GOOD GAWD

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The movie has not come out, mofos have not seen it and they opening their big mouth about how much they hate.

All they doing is hyping it up and helping it bring in more money.

OR they could REALLY mess up the money cause they may be protests , backlash etc...

the world is so upside down now

It aint enough to just NOT see the movie?

Or go and dislike it?

They gotta ban stuff, protest, "cancel", attack the film studio, the actors, the director...

ESPECIALLY in this political climate this can USED any way some organization sees fit.

WB/DC gotta be REAL careful how they move forward.

gtg305h

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
OR they could REALLY mess up the money cause they may be protests , backlash etc...

the world is so upside down now

It aint enough to just NOT see the movie?

Or go and dislike it?

They gotta ban stuff, protest, "cancel", attack the film studio, the actors, the director...

ESPECIALLY in this political climate this can USED any way some organization sees fit.

WB/DC gotta be REAL careful how they move forward.

Yep, the reason there is an uproar is because they painted him as a sympathetic figure who only resorted to violence because society was mean to him, his momma was mean to him, and he couldn't get no black pussy. That's virtue signaling all these Dylann Roof type CaCs...

It's like they tried too hard to ground Joker in our reality, when he's essentially an agent of chaos and just does shit just to do it, with no rhyme or reason other than to fuck with Batman, they missed the boat with the premise and now they have to deal with the backlash, our society is much more sensitive now given the recent history of mass shootings by sad CaCs who would dream of becoming as famous as the Joker is for the heinous acts they committed

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yep, the reason there is an uproar is because they painted him as a sympathetic figure who only resorted to violence because society was mean to him, his momma was mean to him, and he couldn't get no black pussy. That's virtue signaling all these Dylann Roof type CaCs...

It's like they tried too hard to ground Joker in our reality, when he's essentially an agent of chaos and just does shit just to do it, with no rhyme or reason other than to fuck with Batman, they missed the boat with the premise and now they have to deal with the backlash, our society is much more sensitive now given the recent history of mass shootings by sad CaCs who would dream of becoming as famous as the Joker is for the heinous acts they committed

^^^

BOOM

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
https://www.bgol.us/forum/threads/j...-comic-the-joker-year-of-the-villain.1066997/

John Carpenter teases his 'disturbing' comic The Joker: Year of the Villain

By Clark Collis
September 23, 2019 at 04:45 PM EDT
FBTwitter

Loaded: 0%

YOU MIGHT LIKE
6 GENIUS NON-FICTION BOOKS FOR KIDS
How did legendary filmmaker John Carpenter come to write a Joker comic book?

“I’m a Batman fan,” the director of The Thing and the original Halloween tells EW. “Of all the superheroes, he’s the best, represents more stuff, he’s more serious as a character. And the Joker’s just brilliant. He’s the greatest villain. This is DC comics. This is the Joker. The Joker’s the greatest! Who wouldn’t want to write this? So, here we are!”

DANIEL BOCZARSKI/GETTY IMAGES
Publishing Oct. 9, The Joker: Year of the Villain is written by Carpenter and Anthony Burch, who previously collaborated on the Big Trouble in Little China: Old Man Jack comic. (Burch is also known for his work as the lead writer on the videogame Borderlands 2.)

“DC went to John and said, ‘Hey, do you want to write for the Joker?’ and John asked me,” says Burch. “And when John Carpenter asks you if you want to work together, you say yes, because he’s a cool dude.”

“I pay him to say these things, you see,” Carpenter quips.

“Yeah, that’s the real good part,” Burch adds.

How much do you pay him, John?

“Oh, I can’t even divulge that,” Carpenter replies.

“It would make it difficult to negotiate with other sycophants,” Burch says. “It would be a whole thing.”

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Could you set up the comic for our readers?
ANTHONY BURCH:
If you’re reading the main Batman comic right now, Tom King’s “City of Bane” run, the main thing that’s changed in Gotham is that Bane is in charge and there’s basically no law anymore to speak of. The inmates are running the asylum, except the asylum is now the entirety of Gotham City. So what we wanted to play with is the idea of, “Well, Joker exists to create chaos and throw a wrench in the works. What does that look like in a city where chaos is already reigning?” How do you be the crazy guy that’s surprising everyone when the world has already gone insane? He basically decides, “Well, maybe I’ll try to be a vigilante,” and he does a very, very Joker-centric version of that.
JOHN CARPENTER: You’re going to read some disturbing material.

Did DC give you any guidelines, or were you given a free hand?
CARPENTER:
They didn’t say anything. They just said, “Do you want to write this?” And then Anthony and I got together, and Anthony came up with this outline, and it was brialliant. We sent it to them and they said, “Oh, it’s great, go ahead.”

John, how exactly does the collaboration between you and Anthony work?
CARPENTER:
Well, Anthony is steeped in the lore of Batman, much more than I am. So he leads. He leads, and I follow through the darkness. [Laughs]

How did you two come to work together in the first place?
CARPENTER:
I was signing a book on Big Trouble in Little China, the making of that movie. Anthony showed up and said some nice things. I said, “What’s your name?” and he said, “Anthony Burch,” and he wrote Borderlands 2, and I went nuts because Borderlands is my favorite game franchise, and Borderlands 2 may be the best game ever made. So I was on board. Then Boom [Studios] asked us to work together [on Big Trouble in Little China: Old Man Jack]. It was easy!

Is The Joker: Year of the Villain going to be a one-off? Or would you like to return to the Batman universe?
CARPENTER:
Well, it’s not about what we like, it’s what DC wants to do. Maybe we’ll be so successful that they say to us, “Guys, take [Batman] on an adventure!” Which we would love to do.
BURCH: Absolutely.
CARPENTER: But maybe not. We’re happy either way.

Anthony, what have you got coming up besides this comic?
BURCH:
Oh, is the comic not enough for you?
CARPENTER: [Laughs] Oh, that’s a great line. I’m going to use it.

But as they, say, what have you done for us recently?
BURCH:
Brutal! Absolutely brutal! I don’t know, man. If you like podcasts, I do a Dungeons & Dragons podcast called Dungeons and Daddies, and currently I’m working on videogames and stuff, trying to hustle.

What about you, John?
CARPENTER:
Well, I’m producing two movies, Halloween Kills and Halloween Ends.

Can you say anything about those movies?
CARPENTER:
Are you kidding?
BURCH: [Laughs] Good try.

See the cover for, and a selection of pages from, The Joker: Year of the Villain below.

DC COMICS

DC COMICS

DC COMICS

DC COMICS

DC COMICS

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Joker director blames 'far left' for film's controversy: 'Outrage is a commodity'

By James Hibberd
September 26, 2019 at 12:29 PM EDT
FBTwitter

YOU MIGHT LIKE
'HAROLD & KUMAR' GO TO THE MOON? KAL PENN REVEALS HIS VISION FOR POTENTIAL FOURTH FILM

Joker (movie)
10/04/19
TYPE
  • Movie
GENRE
Joker director Todd Phillips blamed the “far left” for some of the criticisms of his film in a new interview.

Phillips opined to The Wrap that outrage addicts are unfairly attacking his Warner Bros. film as their controversy du jour.

“I think it’s because outrage is a commodity, I think it’s something that has been a commodity for a while,” Phillips said in an interview conducted last week and published Wednesday. “What’s outstanding to me in this discourse in this movie is how easily the far left can sound like the far right when it suits their agenda. It’s really been eye-opening for me.”

Joker, opening Oct. 4, is arguably the most controversial film of the year even though it hasn’t even opened in theaters yet. The film garnered raves when it premiered at the Venice Film Festival and won the event’s top prize. Critic reviews were largely positive (the title stands at 75 percent “fresh” on Rotten Tomatoes), though many expressed concerns about the film’s content. The film offers a grounded portrayal of the titular Joker (Joaquin Phoenix) as a loner who feels mistreated by society and escalates to acts of violence against the wealthy and becomes a hero of sorts to the working class.

“Isn’t it good to have these discussions about these movies, about violence?” Phillips added. “Why is that a bad thing if the movie does lead to a discourse about it? We didn’t make the movie to push buttons. I literally described to Joaquin at one point in those three months as like, ‘Look at this as a way to sneak a real movie in the studio system under the guise of a comic book film.’ It wasn’t, ‘We want to glorify this behavior.’ It was literally like, ‘Let’s make a real movie with a real budget and we’ll call it (expletive) Joker.’ That’s what it was.”

Earlier this week, the families of victims of 2012 mass shooting in a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, penned a letter to Warner Bros. expressing their concerns about the film, and urged the studio to use its influence to help make society safer. In addition, a U.S. Army base has recently warned service members of dark web chatter making a “specific, credible threat” against an unspecified movie theater.

Warner Bros. has replied in a statement that “our company has a long history of donating to victims of violence, including Aurora, and in recent weeks, our parent company walked out of an interview when asked about the controversy, but then later defended the film. “Well, I think that, for most of us, you’re able to tell the difference between right and wrong,” Phoenix has said. “And those that aren’t are capable of interpreting anything in the way that they may want to. People misinterpret lyrics from songs. They misinterpret passages from books. So I don’t think it’s the responsibility of a filmmaker to teach the audience morality or the difference between right or wrong. I mean, to me, I think that that’s obvious.”

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
Joker director blames 'far left' for film's controversy: 'Outrage is a commodity'

By James Hibberd
September 26, 2019 at 12:29 PM EDT
FBTwitter

YOU MIGHT LIKE
'HAROLD & KUMAR' GO TO THE MOON? KAL PENN REVEALS HIS VISION FOR POTENTIAL FOURTH FILM

Joker (movie)
10/04/19
TYPE
  • Movie
GENRE
Joker director Todd Phillips blamed the “far left” for some of the criticisms of his film in a new interview.

Phillips opined to The Wrap that outrage addicts are unfairly attacking his Warner Bros. film as their controversy du jour.

“I think it’s because outrage is a commodity, I think it’s something that has been a commodity for a while,” Phillips said in an interview conducted last week and published Wednesday. “What’s outstanding to me in this discourse in this movie is how easily the far left can sound like the far right when it suits their agenda. It’s really been eye-opening for me.”

Joker, opening Oct. 4, is arguably the most controversial film of the year even though it hasn’t even opened in theaters yet. The film garnered raves when it premiered at the Venice Film Festival and won the event’s top prize. Critic reviews were largely positive (the title stands at 75 percent “fresh” on Rotten Tomatoes), though many expressed concerns about the film’s content. The film offers a grounded portrayal of the titular Joker (Joaquin Phoenix) as a loner who feels mistreated by society and escalates to acts of violence against the wealthy and becomes a hero of sorts to the working class.

“Isn’t it good to have these discussions about these movies, about violence?” Phillips added. “Why is that a bad thing if the movie does lead to a discourse about it? We didn’t make the movie to push buttons. I literally described to Joaquin at one point in those three months as like, ‘Look at this as a way to sneak a real movie in the studio system under the guise of a comic book film.’ It wasn’t, ‘We want to glorify this behavior.’ It was literally like, ‘Let’s make a real movie with a real budget and we’ll call it (expletive) Joker.’ That’s what it was.”

Earlier this week, the families of victims of 2012 mass shooting in a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, penned a letter to Warner Bros. expressing their concerns about the film, and urged the studio to use its influence to help make society safer. In addition, a U.S. Army base has recently warned service members of dark web chatter making a “specific, credible threat” against an unspecified movie theater.

Warner Bros. has replied in a statement that “our company has a long history of donating to victims of violence, including Aurora, and in recent weeks, our parent company walked out of an interview when asked about the controversy, but then later defended the film. “Well, I think that, for most of us, you’re able to tell the difference between right and wrong,” Phoenix has said. “And those that aren’t are capable of interpreting anything in the way that they may want to. People misinterpret lyrics from songs. They misinterpret passages from books. So I don’t think it’s the responsibility of a filmmaker to teach the audience morality or the difference between right or wrong. I mean, to me, I think that that’s obvious.”
he's right

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Joker concerns prompt theaters to boost security

By James Hibberd
September 28, 2019 at 08:52 AM EDT
FBTwitter

Loaded: 25.38%

YOU MIGHT LIKE

Joker (movie)
10/04/19
TYPE
  • Movie
GENRE
Concerns about real-life violence occurring during screenings of the movie Joker is prompting theaters to adopt additional safety measures, with at least one national chain saying they are adding security personnel.

According to a statement by the Texas-based Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, which operates 40 locations, the company is adding security in theaters specifically for the Warner Bros. film during opening weekend.

“There have been some guest inquiries surrounding next week’s Joker screenings, and what we’re doing as a company to ensure staff and guest safety, which is at all times our primary concern,” said an Alamo spokesperson in a statement obtained by EW. “We engage with local law enforcement on an ongoing basis about security at our theaters, and while we’re unaware of any specific threat or concern, we will have additional security personnel present at each location for opening weekend for the comfort of our staff and guests. Additionally, cosplaying will be allowed, however, guests in costume are always subject to search at the discretion of theater staff at any time, and may be asked to leave for any reason.”

Alamo’s playful brand has always encouraged moviegoers to come in cosplay, but another theater chain is banning costumes outright for Joker.

“We don’t comment on anything to do with operating procedures, but we are not allowing costumes, face painting or masks by either our employees or guests,” Landmark Theaters, which operates 56 theaters, said in a statement when asked about the film.

The mega Regal Cinemas chain, which operates more than 500 theaters, also responded to an inquiry about security measures with a vague statement. “At Regal, we do not believe the content or the existence of any movie is a cause or a signal for violence,” the company said. “Nevertheless, although we do not comment on security protocols implemented by our theatres at any time, patron and employee safety is our foremost concern. In collaboration with [the National Association of Theatre Owners], we are in regular contact year-round with law enforcement so we have information to help make whatever security assessments they deem appropriate at all times.”

The National Association of Theatre Owners have not given an on-record statement about the Joker worries but are aware of the concerns.

Joker, opening Friday, is arguably the most controversial film of the year even though moviegoers haven’t seen it yet. The film garnered raves when it premiered at the Venice Film Festival and won the event’s top prize. Critic reviews were largely positive (the title stands at 75 percent “fresh” on Rotten Tomatoes), though many expressed concerns about the film’s content. The film offers a grounded portrayal of the titular Joker (Joaquin Phoenix) as a loner who feels mistreated by society and escalates to acts of violence against the wealthy and becomes a hero of sorts to the working class.

Phoenix reportedly walked out of an interview earlier this month when asked about the controversy, but then later defended the film. “Well, I think that, for most of us, you’re able to tell the difference between right and wrong,” Phoenix has said. “And those that aren’t are capable of interpreting anything in the way that they may want to. People misinterpret lyrics from songs. They misinterpret passages from books. So I don’t think it’s the responsibility of a filmmaker to teach the audience morality or the difference between right or wrong. I mean, to me, I think that that’s obvious.”

Earlier this week, the families of victims of 2012 mass shooting in a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, penned a letter to Warner Bros. expressing their concerns about the film, and urged the studio to use its influence to help make society safer. “[The Aurora shooting], perpetrated by a socially isolated individual who felt ‘wronged’ by society, has changed the course of our lives,” reads the letter. “When we learned that Warner Bros. was releasing a movie called Joker that presents the character as a protagonist with a sympathetic origin story, it gave us pause.”

In addition, a U.S. Army base recently warned service members of dark web chatter making a threat against an unspecified movie theater.

Warner Bros. replied in a statement that “our company has a long history of donating to victims of violence, including Aurora, and in recent weeks, our parent company joined other business leaders to call on policymakers to enact bi-partisan legislation to address this epidemic. At the same time, Warner Bros. believes that one of the functions of storytelling is to provoke difficult conversations around complex issues. Make no mistake: neither the fictional character Joker, nor the film, is an endorsement of real-world violence of any kind. It is not the intention of the film, the filmmakers or the studio to hold this character up as a hero.”

Snyckerbar76

Accidentally gave a fuck on Dec. 11, 2019.
BGOL Investor
Meh...throw a MAGA hat on him and he’s “mentally ill” and it’s society’s fault...this could have been more impressive if they casted Joker as a black man dealing with all the psychosis caused by institutional racism...I knew kats would slob all over this predictable ass movie just because some white folks in Canada said so..

I'd pay to see that one twice... ain't no movie studio in the world brave enough to do that one. Maybe an Elseworlds type of movie???

Darrkman

Hollis, Queens = Center of the Universe
BGOL Investor
he's right

Nah he played himself thinking he could troll people and when it backfired he started crying like a bitch. First you make a movie that focuses on an iconic villain that everyone knows is a villain and try to make him sympathetic. Then you talk shit how this won't be a comic book movie but a real movie (catch the insult) that will be dark and gritty. Like DC hasn't done dark and gritty.

This white boy of a director brought all this shit on himself but can't admit he fucked up just like all these corny ass dudes that let their mouths write a check their asses can't cash.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Joker Is One Unpleasant Note Played Louder and Louder
By David Edelstein
2019-critics-joker.w700.h700.jpg

Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck, a.k.a. Joker. Photo: Warner Bros

Editor’s Note: David Edelstein wrote his initial assessment of Joker at the Toronto Film Festival. This is his full review.

Groundbreaking works are often dangerous, flouting aesthetic and moral norms, forcing you to see the world from angles you’d rather not, through the eyes of people you’d flee. But not all dangerous works are groundbreaking. Not even most of them. Not even many. More often, they’re just sleazy and opportunistic, shocking only in the degree of their violence and not because they show the world from a radical perspective. Consider Joker, the R-rated DC Comics installment that prompted an eight-minute standing ovation after its premiere at the Venice Film Festival. Oh, those Italians — they do love operatic celebrations of psychosis. I can see why people are gobsmacked. The movie has a distinctively scuzzy look — harlequin hues plus urban rot — along with a tour-de-force performance by Joaquin Phoenix as Arthur Fleck, the pitifully undefended party clown who will one day be Batman’s most feared nemesis. Its director, Todd Phillips, has playfully referred to Joker as “bonkers,” but he’s giving himself too much credit. Righteous vigilantism has long been the dominant mode in modern crime sagas; the main difference here is that the vigilante wears makeup and has a grating laugh. Joker is an attempt to elevate nerdy revenge to the plane of myth, which is scary on a lot of different levels.

Although this is an “origin” story, Phoenix’s Arthur is a volatile party clown well before he adopts that fabled moniker. But oh, does he mean well. The problem is that from birth, the fates have cast him as a victim, more sinned against than sinning. What a litany of injuries: In the first scene, a group of teens steals the sign he carries for an everything must go sale and bashes it across his face when he gives chase, after which his boss accuses him of stealing the sign and deducts the cost from Arthur’s wages. An attractive single mother (Zazie Beetz) in his run-down apartment building can barely keep from grimacing in the face of his greasy leering. Social services are being cut, presumably to put money in the pockets of Gotham City’s wealthy — among them Thomas Wayne, father of Bruce — which means Arthur no longer has easy access to therapy or meds, which means he could provoke still more scummy thugs with his Tourette’s-like tendency to break into laughter in moments of stress. Sure enough, he’s attacked on the subway, this time by drunken Wall Street guys who happen to work for Wayne. Then a popular talk-show host (Robert De Niro) cruelly ridicules his attempt to be a stand-up comic at an open-mic event. The underclass, the overlords, the bosses, the government, celebrities, his fellow plebes, his overbearing, sickly mother (Frances Conroy) — everyone knocks him down and down again. Is it any wonder that this bereft, belittled man sees only two possibilities: suicide or supervillainy? In the end, you have to admire Arthur for his self-actualization. It sure beats impotence — or nonexistence, which is the ultimate impotence.

Actually, you don’t just admire Joker. The parade of insults is so repetitive and finally so tedious that you root for his alter ego’s emergence. Kill someone, Arthur! Anyone! Liberate our eyes from those underlit interiors with their pools of red, green, and yellow and from those rusted-out, graffiti-ridden subways and back alleys that conjure up the hell that was New York City in the 1980s. The movie wears its influences like a squirting flower: Arthur is a melding of two Martin Scorsese protagonists, TheKing of Comedy’s Rupert Pupkin and Taxi Driver’s Travis Bickle (hence the gimmick casting of De Niro), and a cousin to Charles Bronson’s Death Wish vigilante. At no point are we troubled by the people Arthur kills — they’re “free-range rude,” in the words of Hannibal Lecter, another psycho transformed by his author into an existential hero after an origin story in which some Nazis forced him to eat his little sister.

Joker is the ultimate Joaquin Phoenix role, which is not necessarily a compliment, though not a disparagement, either. He’s the best unhinged movie actor in the world. Phoenix never seems happier — or at least more at home — than when miserably lost in a character’s mind, his features registering every short-circuiting synapse. There’s music in his head, now flowing, now spasmodic, and when Arthur throws up his arms and twirls or does a little soft shoe, it’s as if he’s freeing himself from the oppression of acting sane. Take that, normalcy! When he finally makes an appearance on De Niro’s talk show with his clown face and orange suit, he refuses to connect with the host’s rhythms, and you flash on Phoenix’s nutso act with David Letterman, when he stopped the world and made it squirm.

The downside to the performance is the downside to the movie: It’s one note played louder and louder. The other actors offer no relief. De Niro is ill-suited to a part that calls for showbiz savvy, Beetz functions as a male projection, and Brett Cullen’s Thomas Wayne would lose a charisma contest to Mike Bloomberg. Conroy has a lyrical moment or two as Arthur’s mom, but she’s so obviously off her rocker that she functions as yet another antagonist to Arthur. The movie comes to life visually — this time evoking The French Connection — when the greasepainted Arthur flees detectives by losing himself on a subway packed with protesters dressed as clowns, but I began to dread the inevitable outcome: that Arthur will be recognized as a Clown God in the circus of horrors we call urban life.

As Time’s Stephanie Zacharek put it, the film is less an exploration of a modern pathology than a symptom of it. It’s an anthem for incels. It brings to mind Stephen Metcalf’s incisive 2012 essay in Slate after a disturbed man opened fire in a theater showing The Dark Knight Rises. Metcalf didn’t blame the movie, exactly. But he did trace a connection between civil massacres and characters like Joker. The young men who had committed such acts believed “they had been grossly undervalued by the world—so much so, their lives had become one long psychic injury.” Metcalf suggests these men are drawn to supervillains, with their “charismatic malevolence” and ability to put modern technology to “creatively annihilative” uses, because it allows them to aggrandize themselves as Mephistophelean. Building on Hannah Arendt’s famous assessment of the Nazi Adolf Eichmann, who represented “the banality of evil,” Metcalf argued the best way to discourage incidents like the one in that theater (which have become way more frequent in the meantime) is to “divest evil of its grandiosity or mythic resonance by completely banalizing it.” In other words, make them look like the loser schmucks they are.

Although Phillips and the screenwriters sought to make Joker more realistic than its DC Comics predecessors, it exalts its protagonist and gives him the origin story of his dreams, in which killing is a just — and artful — response to a malevolently indifferent society. Arthur/Joker might be repulsive, but in a topsy-turvy universe, repulsive is attractive. I’m not arguing that Joker will inspire killings (it might, but so might a lot of other things), only that it panders to selfish, small-minded feelings of resentment. Also it’s profoundly boring — a one-joke movie.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Joaquin Phoenix and Robert De Niro Got Into a Diva-Off Filming Joker
By Zoe Haylock@zoe_alliyah
01-deniro-phoenix.w330.h330.jpg

Robert De Niro and Joaquin Phoenix. Photo: Getty Images

If we learned anything from Glee, it’s that having more than one diva almost always results in conflict. And director Todd Phillips’s Joker has two major divas, Robert De Niro and Joaquin Phoenix, who operate according to two majorly different methods, according to Phillips’s memory of their time on set. His story begins before a table read for Joker, a common practice in which the cast of a movie or TV show gets together to read through an entire script before shooting begins. “Bob called me and he goes, ‘Tell [Phoenix] he’s an actor and he’s got to be there, I like to hear the whole movie, and we’re going to all get in a room and just read it,’” Phillips told Vanity Fairin a profile of Phoenix. “And I’m in between a rock and a hard place because Joaquin’s like, ‘There’s no fucking way I’m doing a read-through.’” Ultimately, he had to do the table read. Afterward, Phoenix immediately went for a smoke, sickened by the activity and desperate to walk out. But De Niro, shady as ever, insisted they talk it over and ended their conversation with a kiss on the cheek, both hands on Phoenix’s face, and a swift “It’s going to be okay, bubbeleh,”Phillips recalled. It’s the same De Niro charm that got Joe Pesci to show up for another movie. Now Phoenix knows: No one out-divas De Niro.

TheAlias

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Meh...throw a MAGA hat on him and he’s “mentally ill” and it’s society’s fault...this could have been more impressive if they casted Joker as a black man dealing with all the psychosis caused by institutional racism...I knew kats would slob all over this predictable ass movie just because some white folks in Canada said so..

Amen

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Don’t Get It Twisted: The Ultimate Guide to the Joker’s Origin Stories
By Rebecca Alter
30-joker-phoenix-lede.w700.h700.jpg

“If I’m going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!” Photo: Niko Tavernise/Warner Bros.

“Fool you once, shame on you, fool you twice, joker’s trick … ” Such are the immortal words of the parody account @jokers_trick, which tweets utterly fake, chaotic evil Joker-isms with the unhinged zeal of a freshman Dark Knight fan. The account, with its quotes from scenes that never really existed in any film or TV show, is as good an introduction as any into the self-consciously *~*twisted*~* world of the Joker — or, ahem, Joker. As with any enduring comic-book character, Gotham’s Clown Prince of Crime has gone through so many rebirths and reiterations over the decades (between his original DC run, the iconic Adam West TV series, the animated shows, the video games, and the live-action films), that’s it’s hard to believe a line like the above hasn’t already been written. Has it?

Joker’s whole shtick — no matter the medium — is that the character is a loopy, confused liar with an ever-shifting backstory. As he quips in the 1988 Alan Moore comic Batman: The Killing Joke, “I mean, what is it with you? What made you what you are? Girlfriend killed by the mob, maybe? Brother carved up by some mugger? Something like that, I bet. Something like that … Something like that happened to me, you know. I … I’m not exactly sure what it was. Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another … If I’m going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!” Indeed, keeping all of the character’s origin stories straight can be enough to drive even the most ardent Batstan into Arkham Asylum or the depths of @jokers_trick. So allow us to lay out the deck for you. Turn up the Steve Miller Band, put on your Boo Boo the Fool nose, and dive in to the chemical waste below, because we took this job extremely why-so-seriously.

Batman #1 (1940)
Like yin and yang, or clowns and flying rodents, the Joker has been around for nearly as long as his archrival, having been introduced in the very first issue of Batman #1. He arrived without an origin story, already a psychopath and killing for fun with his special toxin dubbed “Joker’s venom,” which somehow left his victims with a permanent grin on their faces. The DC artists (Bill Finger, Bob Kane, and Jerry Robinson are credited with creating the character) initially intended to kill off Joker in order to make Batman appear more competent, but an editor allegedly reneged at the last minute, prompting the artists to hastily add a frame showing that the Joker had survived the issue, living to trick another day. By 1942, the writers had transformed him from a psychotic mass murderer into more of a goofy prankster, to better market the comics to kiddos. Because yeah, stuff like this isn’t disturbing at all.

Detective Comics #168, “The Man Behind the Red Hood!” (1951)
This issue, penned by the character’s co-creator Bill Finger, was the first to demystify the Joker’s origins. According to Finger, the Joker was already committing crimes under a different alias — the Red Hood — when, one night as he was trying to rob a factory and evade Batman, he dove into a pool of chemical water. When he emerged, he was sporting the white skin, green hair, and general Billie Eilish look we’ve come to associate with the Joker.

Batman TV Series(1966)
personally subscribed to the “chemicals turned Joker’s hair green” backstory.

What Adam West’s live-action Batman series lacked in things like three-dimensional characterization and story complexity, it more than made up for in panache. Among the series’ many cultural contributions is Cesar Romero’s performance as a fun, over-the-top Joker. He only appeared in a handful of episodes per season, and, seemingly preoccupied with his metal hand buzzers and gag flowers, he never really divulged a full backstory. What we do know from this version of the Joker is that he was a high-school dropout, hypnotist, and “master of disguise” who turned to crime. One episode featured a mugshot of him without the clown makeup, suggesting that it was a put-on, but Romero personally subscribed to the “chemicals turned Joker’s hair green” backstory.

The Killing Joke (1988)
Hot off the release of his acclaimed Watchmen graphic novels, DC’s golden boy of the post-Bronze Age, Alan Moore, adapted the 1951 Red Hood story for his own take on the Joker mythos in a one-off graphic novel The Killing Joke. In Moore’s seminal version, the Joker was a mild-mannered engineer who quit his job at a chemical plant to pursue his dream of stand-up comedy. After failing miserably at comedy, he decides to help some criminals break into the chemical plant so that he can make some money for his pregnant wife, Jeannie. While planning the crime, Jeannie and their unborn child die in an unspecified accident, and later, at the chemical plant, Batman scares the engineer (now the Red Hood — keeping up?) into the plant’s chemical waste catch basin. A pipe sweeps him outside, where he finds his appearance altered by the chemicals. That transformation and the grief over his wife’s death drive him to become the Joker.

Tim Burton’s Batman (1989)
In Tim Burton’s Batman, Jack Nicholson plays Jack Napier, a Gotham City mobster responsible for mugging and killing Bruce Wayne’s parents. Years later, he gets set up by a mob boss who plans to have him killed by a crooked cop at a chemical plant. Batman stops the accident, but Napier falls into a vat of chemicals (is that a motif I smell, or is it just that noxious vat of chemicals?) altering his visage and driving him, well, batty. In a delightfully 1980s touch, the Joker’s smile is due to a botched plastic surgery job following the accident.

Mask of the Phantasm (1993)
In this theatrically released adaptation of Batman: The Animated Series, the Mark Hamill–voiced Joker got his start as a hit man and chauffeur for Gotham City mob boss Salvatore Valestra. After carrying out a hit for him, the Man Who Would Be Joker started his own crime outfit, and endured a, yup, chemical plant accident that turned him extra Joker-y.

Batman Confidential , “Lovers and Madmen” (2007-2008)
In this limited series that let different writers get creative with the Bat-canon, the erstwhile Joker is introduced as Jack, a former hit man for a Gotham City crime family called the Berlantis. In this version, Batman is the one who actually causes the Jack’s smile-shaped scar, during a showdown between the two. It’s all very Harry and Voldemort, entwining their two fates. And then — because this ain’t your grand-dad’s origin story — instead of falling into chemicals at the chemical plant, the chemicals fall onto Jack, completing his transformation into the Joker.

The Dark Knight (2008)
Christopher Nolan intended to leave his iteration of the Joker intentionally vague, making him all the more elemental a force of nature. As with comic-book versions of the Joker, this one’s an unreliable narrator who gives differing accounts for his Glasgow grin and penchant for chaos. In one, he carves the smile into his own face leading his wife to leave him; in another, the disfigurement was an abusive parent’s doing. And there are no chemical vats here; Joker goes incognito in one scene, makeup off and the swamp green seemingly washed out of his hair, insinuating that the discoloring is a choice. Those dark under-eye bags are all real, though.

Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009)
In Batman: Arkham Asylum, we get a chance to read the Joker’s patient file, which lacks a “precise psychological diagnosis” and adds that, “His past is unknown; conflicting, unconfirmed reports state that he was a failed comedian, a petty thief, and a broken family man.” In recorded patient interviews, a doctor mentions a past “multiple personality disorder” diagnosis, a reference to the Joker’s “super-sanity” diagnosis in Grant Morrison’s original Arkham Asylum graphic novel, which offered an explanation for why his personality flits between goofy and sinister depending on the interpretation. The Joker (Mark Hamill) then lies about his childhood, claiming, “I was born in a small fishing village. I always wanted to join the circus, but my father wouldn’t really let me.” Later, when he says, “I hate small confined spaces, reminds me of my childhood,” well, that might have some merit, actually. Asked if he’s lying, he says, “Who knows? I certainly don’t.” Us neither!

Batman: Streets of Gotham, “The House of Hush”(2010–2011)
In Paul Dini’s story, we meet a foster child named Sonny, who is treated at a clinic by Martha Kane, a kind, matronly figure and Batman’s actual future mother. Sonny is eventually the victim of a chemical laughing gas attack by gangster Salvatore Guzzo, who firebombs the clinic and kidnaps Sonny. The mobsters abuse and molest Sonny, and his broken jaw incorrectly re-aligns into what would become his Jokerish grimace. Sonny-turned-Joker gets his revenge in adulthood, sicking hyenas on Guzzo to eat him alive.

Batman: Zero Year (2013–2014)
This year-long run puts the “Joker” or “THE Joker” thing to rest, because there’s no real Joker to speak of, at all. Instead, in this chronicle of Batman’s, um, zero-eth year, the caped crusader faces off against a Red Hood, called Red Hood One. If you’ve been reading through this whole piece, you’ll remember the Red Hood backstory as one of the Joker’s first. Then again, this arc never explicitly ties Red Hood One to the Joker. So what tips this over the edge into Probably Joker Origin Story territory? Why, because Red Hood One escapes a Batman face off by jumping into a vat of chemicals, of course!

Batman: Endgame (2014–2015)
In Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo’s Batman: Endgame run of comics, the two reimagine the Joker as an immortal evil entity, potentially Beelzebub incarnate, haunting Gotham City throughout centuries of its history. He’s revealed to be hiding in the shadows in old newspaper photographs, and the like. We have to give Snyder and Capullo props for coming up with a backstory devoid of the words “mobster” and “vat,” but the whole immortal ancient evil clown haunting an American town thing does seem to owe a lot to Pennywise.

Suicide Squad (2016)
Mercifully little time is spent on Jared Leto’s Joker in Suicide Squad, although it does mean Viola Davis had to put up with his on-set B.S. for nothing. All we know about the flashy criminal juggalo’s backstory is that he was a mental patient at Arkham Asylum who converted his psychiatrist to a life of lovesick wrongdoing. (Hi, Harley Quinn!)

The LEGO Batman Movie (2017)
In my personal favorite Batman property, we don’t get the Joker’s entire origin story, but we do know that he’s shared some pretty good memories with Batman over the years. Now, he just wants his arch-rival to acknowledge that what the two of them share is special. If Heath Ledger’s Joker is relatable to incels and flight risks, LEGO Joker is a true anti-hero for the rest of us.

Gotham (2014–2019)
From the very beginning of its run, Gotham teased the idea of a Joker origin story with the Arkham-bound circus member, Jerome Valeska (Cameron Monaghan). Described by showrunners as a “proto-Joker,” in the show’s fourth season, he died, was resurrected, and died again — but not before he was able to stage an attack against his twin brother Jeremiah, using laughing gas to infect him with the Joker’s mania (and spark his skin to turn a clownish complexion). If Jerome represented the Joker’s anarchic side, Jeremiah was a calculating schemer. In the same way that the Arkham Asylum arc used multiple personalities/super-sanity to explain away decades of extreme tonal shifts in the character, Gotham used the time-honored TV drama tactic of “because twins!” The mythos all came together in the 2019 episode “Ace of Chemicals,” in which Bruce Wayne chases Jeremiah into a — say it with me! — vat of chemicals! When he resurfaces in a later episode with a hyena laugh and purple suit, he’s in full J mode.

Todd Phillips’s Joker (2019)
Joker. Much has been made of the dropped “The,” but Jack Nicholson’s version also went by the Cher-like one-word Joker moniker. This one seems to have ditched some of the more supernatural, heightened elements of the backstory (sorry, vats of chemical waste purists!) in favor of a gritty, realistic take, incorporating elements from The Killing Joke’s failed comedian story and what appears to be a more grounded look at the character’s psychosis. Arthur is a clown and aspiring stand-up, who lives with and cares for his aging single mother, Penny Fleck, and regularly visits a social worker assigned to him after a stay in a hospital for mental illness. Arthur’s mom, we learn, is a former employee of Thomas Wayne, who believes the man to be a savior for Gotham. We won’t spoil the details of Arthur’s complete backstory here; all in all, we’re meant to believe that a combination of trauma, mental-health issues and continued marginalization pushed him to become the Joker.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It’s Just Joker, Not The Joker: A Photo Essay
By Hunter Harris@hunteryharris
joker-lede.w700.h700.jpg

Gatsby Welles … Brooks Rattigan … Joker … what’s in a name? Photo: Warner Bros.

Something you might have noticed about the upcoming movie Joker is that it exists in a universe where the lead character, Batman’s most famous nemesis, is called “Joker.” My colleague Nate Jones posed this important question two weeks ago: When did everybody start calling him “Joker” instead of “the Joker”? Jack Nicholson’s famous line was “You can call me Joker,” but Christopher Nolan referred to his character as “the Joker” in interviews. Now, in Todd Phillips’s iteration, it’s crystal clear: Arthur Fleck is just Joker, baby — adding an article is for sissies.

Joker is a movie about jokes and loneliness and jokes about loneliness, but it’s also about the absence of a certain “the.” So Vulture has put together a handy photo-essay guide to the name of the movie’s main character. Call him by his name — Joker — and hope he doesn’t call you anything at all.

joker-1.w700.h467.jpg

In the beauty industry, this is what they call a beat. Photo: Warner Bros.
Might I present a lightly edited Drake lyric: “Please do not speak to me like I’m that Joker from four eleven years ago I’m at a higher substantially lower place.”

joker-5.w700.h467.jpg

Tell Men’s Wearhouse I’m coming in, and I don’t have a credit limit! Photo: Warner Bros.
Just to reiterate: Joker? That’s his name, don’t wear it out! Other things that should not be worn out include: this tie.

joker-3.w700.h467.jpg

Just wait till a White House reporter posts this with the caption “He’s running.” Photo: Warner Bros.
What’s he running from? Oh. A definite article, like one used to denote a proper noun. Perhaps the definite article “the.”

joker-7.w700.h467.jpg

“Listen you fuckers, you screwheads…” Photo: Warner Bros.
This looks like Robert De Niro in a little movie called Taxi Driver, but I promise you it’s actually Joaquin Phoenix in a little movie called Joker. Again, that movie was called Taxi Driver, not The Taxi Driver, so this movie is called Joker, not The Joker. You see what they’re getting at here?

ADVERTISEMENT
INREAD INVENTED BY TEADS
joker-8.w700.h467.jpg

Why so serious? … Wait, wrong Joker. Photo: Warner Bros.
INT. 1994 TOYOTA COROLLA. CALIFORNIA. DAY.
“You’re not even worth state tuition, Arthur.”
“My name is Joker.”
“Well, actually it’s not, and it’s ridiculous.”
“Call me Joker like you said you would!”
“You should just go to City College. You know, with your work ethic, you should just go to City College and then to jail and then back to City College, and then maybe you’d learn to pull yourself up and not expect everybody to do — AHHHHH!!!!!!

LEARN MORE »
joker-2.w700.h467.jpg

Totally kind of hot Marc Maron and King of the Resistance Robert De Niro. Photo: Warner Bros.
This is the scene where Joker says, “Call me Joker.” He doesn’t say the Joker, just Joker — that’s how you know that his name is, again, “Joker.”

joker-6.w700.h467.jpg

At Joker’s TIFF premiere, Todd Phillips said he really loved A Star Is Born, and it’s so funny because I really loved that movie too. Just felt like it was important to share that in a safe space. Photo: Warner Bros.
Hey! What? Just wanted to take another look at you, Joker.

joker-the.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

Did I make this myself in Preview? Absolutely I did. Photo: Warner Bros.
I pinky promise you, as someone who has seen Joker, that there is a scene where, inexplicably, Justin Timberlake arrives and says: “Drop the the. It’s cleaner.”

Anyway. In conclusion:

joker-title.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

This is literally from the movie. It was not edited by me in Preview, although it sort of looks like it was. Photo: Warner Bros.
That’s his name, and also the name of the movie. No “the.”

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's just a movie !! When people can't separate fact from fiction ..that's the problem !! People have to stop blaming movies,Television shows ,music and video games. It's a person's own hate and issues that drive them to commit mass murder

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-7535525/BRIAN-VINER-reviews-Joker.html

Joker

Verdict: Brutal but brilliant

Rating:
rating_showbiz_5.gif

Judging by some of the more excitable reports about the release of this electrifying movie, you would expect it to come not just with an 18 certificate, rather than the 15 it carries, but also a public health warning.

Certainly, it is dark, violent and disturbing enough for an 18, a triple-whammy that not everyone wants from a night out at the pictures.

It is also superbly conceived, written, directed and acted. Moreover, for a film with a comic-book lineage, telling the story of how Batman's arch-enemy came into being, it is refreshingly free of computer-generated effects.