JOKER (2019) Discussion Thread Starring Joaquin Phoenix (Update 9/12/19) Leaked Footage.. GOOD GAWD

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
An Afternoon at the Joker Stairs, New York’s Newest Tourist Attraction
By Nate Jones@kn8
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a tourist attraction. Photo: Nate Jones
When the Location Managers Guild hands out its annual awards next year, they may have a hard time overlooking Joker. For the film’s grungy depiction of a crumbling Gotham City, director Todd Phillips eschewed soundstages, preferring real locations in Brooklyn, Jersey City, and the Bronx. In particular, the latter is home to a steep outdoor staircase where Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker celebrates his descent into villainy with a limb-flailing, crotch-thrusting dance set to Gary Glitter’s “Rock and Roll Part 2.” It’s a scene that carries real cinematic power, which means it was almost instantaneously turned into a meme. Now, visitors have found the real steps, and they’ve started showing up in droves. On weekends, crowds begin arriving at this unassuming corner of the Bronx as early as nine o’clock in the morning.
On a sunny October Saturday, the stairs, which are located off Shakespeare Avenue in Highbridge, were crowded with sightseers from all over the globe. Many film locations look less grand in real life, but the Joker steps remain as imposing as they are onscreen, looming over the beauty-supply and check-cashing shops of Jerome Avenue. With their narrow vertical orientation, the stairs are perfectly suited for the age of the Instagram Story, and their newfound popularity may be aided by the ease of transit from Manhattan: They’re just a short walk from the 167th Street 4 station, itself only one stop away from Yankee Stadium. If you’re in a sociological mood, you could say that the influx of tourists serves as a reminder of how self-reinforcing cycles of low crime and gentrification, as well as a certain internet-enabled frictionless-ness (the stairs have been tagged on Google Maps) have combined to break down notions of which urban neighborhoods are off-limits to newcomers. Instagram makes flâneurs of us all.

On their Showtime show Monday night, Desus and Mero, both of whom grew up in the Bronx, devoted a segment to the stairs, with Desus affecting the persona of a Swiss tourist: “Ooh, uhn Jokerstepsen, ja!” In person, locals seemed equally amused by the sudden influx of visitors. “People were running away from this shit,” a passerby named Fernando noted. “Nobody paid attention to this thing before.” Hilly neighborhoods in the Bronx and Upper Manhattan are full of similar stairways, and to residents these particular steps were notable only for being incredibly inconvenient; most people in the neighborhood preferred a nearby stairway with a gentler slope. For years, Fernando only used them to work out. “It’s amazing,” he said of their transformation into a tourist attraction. “It’s actually nice to see all these people doing this.”

Many reports about the steps call those flocking to the location “Joker fans.” That is not entirely correct. Two teenagers from Dallas, who’d come to the Bronx with their dad while the rest of their family took a nap, hadn’t seen the film yet. Neither had a pair of college students from Bangkok. Of a group of high-school freshmen from Woodside, only one had seen Joker, though for the rest of them it was not from lack of interest: “We don’t have parents who want to go.” It seemed that people were not coming all this way to pay their respects to a location they’d seen in a movie; they were coming to recreate images they’d seen online. “The meme blew it up,” said one of the Woodside boys. They wanted to get a photo of themselves on the steps, but there was no one to take it. Eventually, I snapped it for them, a gaggle of teens torn between looking happy and looking cool.

Victor, a photographer from Brazil by way of New Jersey, was less shy. He had painstakingly composed a tripod shot at the foot of the stairs, but had no one to press the shutter. I volunteered. He explained that I should hold the button down to fire off shots in machine-gun bursts. As I ducked behind the lens, he positioned himself a few steps up, and then his body burst into a series of theatrical flourishes. None of the first few dozen photos were quite right, so we went again. Then again.

Higher up, the most focus-pulling visitor was Sakina, a young woman from Jersey City decked out in full Joker regalia. “I didn’t get it from Spirit Halloween or anything,” she explained. “I actually happened to find it all at the mall.” She’d seen Joker three times, and was looking forward to going again. “We’ve never experienced an origin story recreated through a realistic lens. I thought it was really fascinating. Joaquin was amazing!” Sakina had a tiny speaker blasting “Rock and Roll Part 2,” and was trying to film a video recreating the dance, which she’d learned that morning. But it was going slowly: Everyone who showed up wanted to take a photo with her. In any event, she didn’t have a YouTube account yet — the rare case of content coming before the brand.

At the bottom of the stairs, Sakina’s mother, Maya, struck up a conversation with a retired cop named Sam, who’d trekked over from Throgg’s Neck to get a photo for his son. He hadn’t seen the movie, either. “I just need to let the rush go through,” he said. “I’m retired — Monday, Thursday, Friday, doesn’t matter to me.” He remembered the steps from his time on the beat. “In the ’70s and ’80s, you wouldn’t walk through there. You’d get killed. The drug dealers would stand in the middle, and they’d watch you go up. If you didn’t know somebody, they’d stop you.”

“Hoboken was the same way,” Maya said.

At the opposite end, a man named Michael was carrying groceries past the top of the steps. He stopped to take in the scene. “It’s strange,” he said. “I’ve been living here all my life. They’re just stairs to me.” His friend noted the number of broken bottles that were still littering the site. They agreed the city should come in and clean up, just like they did when Joker was filming. Michael pointed out that Halloween was just around the corner. “There’s gonna be a whole bunch of people dressed up as the Joker posted up taking photos.”

Not everyone in the neighborhood was so sanguine. Per Gothamist, some residents have put up flyers telling visitors, “It is disrespectful to treat our community and residents as a photo opportunity.” And a few newcomers seemed to be slightly self-conscious about visiting a neighborhood they would ordinarily avoid. Upon stepping off the 4 train, a young blond man with a DSLR around his neck remarked to his companion, “Dude, I look like such a tourist right now.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
An Afternoon at the Joker Stairs, New York’s Newest Tourist Attraction
By Nate Jones@kn8
You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a tourist attraction. Photo: Nate Jones
When the Location Managers Guild hands out its annual awards next year, they may have a hard time overlooking Joker. For the film’s grungy depiction of a crumbling Gotham City, director Todd Phillips eschewed soundstages, preferring real locations in Brooklyn, Jersey City, and the Bronx. In particular, the latter is home to a steep outdoor staircase where Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker celebrates his descent into villainy with a limb-flailing, crotch-thrusting dance set to Gary Glitter’s “Rock and Roll Part 2.” It’s a scene that carries real cinematic power, which means it was almost instantaneously turned into a meme. Now, visitors have found the real steps, and they’ve started showing up in droves. On weekends, crowds begin arriving at this unassuming corner of the Bronx as early as nine o’clock in the morning.
On a sunny October Saturday, the stairs, which are located off Shakespeare Avenue in Highbridge, were crowded with sightseers from all over the globe. Many film locations look less grand in real life, but the Joker steps remain as imposing as they are onscreen, looming over the beauty-supply and check-cashing shops of Jerome Avenue. With their narrow vertical orientation, the stairs are perfectly suited for the age of the Instagram Story, and their newfound popularity may be aided by the ease of transit from Manhattan: They’re just a short walk from the 167th Street 4 station, itself only one stop away from Yankee Stadium. If you’re in a sociological mood, you could say that the influx of tourists serves as a reminder of how self-reinforcing cycles of low crime and gentrification, as well as a certain internet-enabled frictionless-ness (the stairs have been tagged on Google Maps) have combined to break down notions of which urban neighborhoods are off-limits to newcomers. Instagram makes flâneurs of us all.

On their Showtime show Monday night, Desus and Mero, both of whom grew up in the Bronx, devoted a segment to the stairs, with Desus affecting the persona of a Swiss tourist: “Ooh, uhn Jokerstepsen, ja!” In person, locals seemed equally amused by the sudden influx of visitors. “People were running away from this shit,” a passerby named Fernando noted. “Nobody paid attention to this thing before.” Hilly neighborhoods in the Bronx and Upper Manhattan are full of similar stairways, and to residents these particular steps were notable only for being incredibly inconvenient; most people in the neighborhood preferred a nearby stairway with a gentler slope. For years, Fernando only used them to work out. “It’s amazing,” he said of their transformation into a tourist attraction. “It’s actually nice to see all these people doing this.”

Many reports about the steps call those flocking to the location “Joker fans.” That is not entirely correct. Two teenagers from Dallas, who’d come to the Bronx with their dad while the rest of their family took a nap, hadn’t seen the film yet. Neither had a pair of college students from Bangkok. Of a group of high-school freshmen from Woodside, only one had seen Joker, though for the rest of them it was not from lack of interest: “We don’t have parents who want to go.” It seemed that people were not coming all this way to pay their respects to a location they’d seen in a movie; they were coming to recreate images they’d seen online. “The meme blew it up,” said one of the Woodside boys. They wanted to get a photo of themselves on the steps, but there was no one to take it. Eventually, I snapped it for them, a gaggle of teens torn between looking happy and looking cool.

Victor, a photographer from Brazil by way of New Jersey, was less shy. He had painstakingly composed a tripod shot at the foot of the stairs, but had no one to press the shutter. I volunteered. He explained that I should hold the button down to fire off shots in machine-gun bursts. As I ducked behind the lens, he positioned himself a few steps up, and then his body burst into a series of theatrical flourishes. None of the first few dozen photos were quite right, so we went again. Then again.

Higher up, the most focus-pulling visitor was Sakina, a young woman from Jersey City decked out in full Joker regalia. “I didn’t get it from Spirit Halloween or anything,” she explained. “I actually happened to find it all at the mall.” She’d seen Joker three times, and was looking forward to going again. “We’ve never experienced an origin story recreated through a realistic lens. I thought it was really fascinating. Joaquin was amazing!” Sakina had a tiny speaker blasting “Rock and Roll Part 2,” and was trying to film a video recreating the dance, which she’d learned that morning. But it was going slowly: Everyone who showed up wanted to take a photo with her. In any event, she didn’t have a YouTube account yet — the rare case of content coming before the brand.

At the bottom of the stairs, Sakina’s mother, Maya, struck up a conversation with a retired cop named Sam, who’d trekked over from Throgg’s Neck to get a photo for his son. He hadn’t seen the movie, either. “I just need to let the rush go through,” he said. “I’m retired — Monday, Thursday, Friday, doesn’t matter to me.” He remembered the steps from his time on the beat. “In the ’70s and ’80s, you wouldn’t walk through there. You’d get killed. The drug dealers would stand in the middle, and they’d watch you go up. If you didn’t know somebody, they’d stop you.”

“Hoboken was the same way,” Maya said.

At the opposite end, a man named Michael was carrying groceries past the top of the steps. He stopped to take in the scene. “It’s strange,” he said. “I’ve been living here all my life. They’re just stairs to me.” His friend noted the number of broken bottles that were still littering the site. They agreed the city should come in and clean up, just like they did when Joker was filming. Michael pointed out that Halloween was just around the corner. “There’s gonna be a whole bunch of people dressed up as the Joker posted up taking photos.”

Not everyone in the neighborhood was so sanguine. Per Gothamist, some residents have put up flyers telling visitors, “It is disrespectful to treat our community and residents as a photo opportunity.” And a few newcomers seemed to be slightly self-conscious about visiting a neighborhood they would ordinarily avoid. Upon stepping off the 4 train, a young blond man with a DSLR around his neck remarked to his companion, “Dude, I look like such a tourist right now.”

@tallblacknyc

BX done changed...

back in the days ALL these folks woulda got JACKED

funny how I remembered HATING going down those damn stairs back in the day when I was in the hood I wasn't supposed to.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I mean, isn't it good that it's not this way anymore?

AstonishingFaithfulBedbug-size_restricted.gif

LennyNero1972

Sleeping Deity.
BGOL Investor
Its a very real possibility this may hit the billion dollar mark.......stay tuned.......doors will kicked wide open.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Joker’s Unlikely Path to Becoming the Highest-Grossing R-Rated Movie Ever
By Chris Lee@__ChrisLee

25-joker.w700.h467.jpg

Joaquin Phoenix, as Joker, just danced his way to $849 million Photo: Niko Tavernise/Warner Bros.
In the fall of 2017, writer-director Todd Phillips delivered his script for Joker to top executives at Warner Bros, triggering a round of what two sources close to the project (who spoke to Vulture on background and condition of anonymity) describe as “lively conversations.” Although the gritty Batman spinoff had received broad support at the highest studio echelons during its time in development — former president of worldwide marketing Sue Kroll and former studio chairman Kevin Tsujihara, as well as their respective successors Blair Rich and Toby Emmerich, were among the project’s numerous C-suite champions — the executives huddled repeatedly to debate an essential aspect of the movie: Does it need to be about the Joker?
Warner Bros. had already been planning to mount a different standalone Joker movie plotted around Jared Leto’s iteration of the clown crime kingpin who’s showcased in Suicide Squad. So maybe, some of the executives reasoned, Phillips’s origin story could set up a character who audiences would understand is based on the Joker, but who isn’t literally the Joker. Couldn’t he be some kind of peripheral figure instead? The idea divided the studio chieftains, but everyone agreed transposing the actual Joker from his more familiar context as the Dark Knight’s most infamous antagonist and placing him on his own within a mash-up of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy was a risky move. Then there was the question of how it would resonate with DC Extended Universe fans, accustomed to straight-down-the-pike comics adaptations like Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the end, of course, the Joker did not dance down the stairs and out of his own namesake motion picture. Over the weekend — Joker’s fourth in theaters — the $55 million, Joaquin Phoenix-starring criminal character study claimed the No. 1 spot at the box office for the second time, taking in $18.9 million domestically to become the highest-grossing R-rated film of all time. With its cumulative worldwide haul of $849 million, Joker handily toppled the record of $785 million previously set by the comedy-thriller Deadpool 2. And now, with the passing of fears that Joker would inspire an incel uprising or in-theater active-shooter gun violence — and amid a swarm of awards buzz for Phoenix’s deliberately bonkers performance — the superhero-adjacent drama appears poised to break $900 million at the global box office.
Joker’s splashy arrival in the movie marketplace as something more akin to a singular cultural event than another superhero spinoff can be attributed to a combination of factors beyond Phillips’s absolute unwillingness to make anything but a Joker movie. In the fall of 2018, with principal photography on Joker still in progress, Rich (who replaced Kroll last January) settled on a very specific promotional strategy. The film (which was co-financed by Village Roadshow and the Canadian production company Bron Studios) would be released in the fall movie corridor, a time of year typically associated with serious adult fare, not popcorn comic-book movies. And in an early bid to distinguish it within the superhero genre, Warner’s marketing and distribution executives strategized to premiere Joker at a prestigious European film festival.
It helped that a spot on the upcoming summer-release calendar had opened up, allowing Warner Bros.’ previously scheduled fall DC Universe movie, Wonder Woman: 1984, to move from a November roll-out to a potentially more lucrative June 2020 theatrical release. Joker was accepted at both the Venice and Toronto International Film Festivals. Instead of walking away from its titular character, Warner Bros. was walking away from the typical comic-book movie playbook.
But according to various people close to the project, the fuse that lit fan excitement for Joker can be carbon dated to Sept. 21, 2018, more than a year before it would premiere to an eight-minute standing ovation in Italy. That day on his Instagram account, Phillips posted camera test footage of Phoenix in character — first as the sad-sack aspiring comedian Arthur Flack, then later in smeary Joker makeup and full clown regalia — backdropped by the Guess Who’s 1969 single “Laughing.” It prompted a collective gasp across the internet. The 30-second clip made clear that Phoenix’s gaunt interpretation of the character was tonally separate and distinct from previous Joker movie performances by Jack Nicholson, Heath Ledger, and Jared Leto (who reportedly lobbied the studio to prevent the director from filming Joker and fired his agents when the project moved forward).
Subsequent trailers for the film emphasized its edgy cool — placing Joker on a dramatic continuum much closer to ’70s crime dramas like Serpico or Dog Day Afternoon than, say, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. And further signaling Joker’s seriousness of artistic intent, Warner’s marketers opted not to release any product tie-ins or Happy Meal–style toy promotional agreements that normally supply additional revenue streams for comic-book adaptations.

Finally, in the weeks leading up to Joker’s Oct. 4 release, the conversation surrounding the film became increasingly alarmist. At a time when mass shootings have become frighteningly constant, some critics questioned the effect of releasing a major studio film focused on a disaffected loner who is liberated by hate and emerges as an icon only after arming himself. But just as discussion of Joker’s potential to inspire Aurora, Colorado–style domestic terrorism threatened to overtake its buzz, the studio began limiting Phillips’s and Phoenix’s exposure to the press. Warner Bros. took the unusual step of canceling all red-carpet interviews with reporters at the movie’s New York and Los Angeles premieres. From there, sources say, the film relied on the already-captured attention of fans still aching for the IP to set box-office records.

So now that Joker has split the atom for R-rated, superhero-inspired crime drama, should moviegoers expect to see the multiplex glutted with similarly lugubrious, comic-book related, mid-budget movies? Not necessarily so, says one of our sources, who points out that after Deadpool 2 set the previous R-rated box-office record, precisely zero other ultraviolent, hyperprofane comic-book-adapted thrillers were green-lighted by Hollywood studios. Although a Joker sequel is not entirely out of the question. “You don’t see people hankering for a solo movie about the Penguin,” Erik Davis, managing editor of Fandango, points out. “But Joker is just a character who has always piqued people’s interest. He has been portrayed in the comics over the years in so many different ways, with so many different backstories, and so there are all these different avenues that they can go down when it comes to exploring this character.”

@largebillsonlyplease @ViCiouS @fonzerrillii @tallblacknyc

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster