JOKER (2019) Discussion Thread Starring Joaquin Phoenix (Update 9/12/19) Leaked Footage.. GOOD GAWD

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It's disrespectful to people with mental illness to say all mental illness is the same.
ITS NOT
The Joker had SEVERAL DISORDERS
so to just be like oh it makes people with mental illness look bad no it doesn't

Thats a fair point

But based on the overall responses to this film?

You adding nuance and distinction...

Cuz how long i told to stop doing that?

The sheep just see him as "crazy"

And they used to love "special" and "crazy"...

Rain man, i am sam sling blade radio a beautiful mind

To

Travis bickle hannibal norman bates

But its 2019 and the rise on incels

And the cancel culture

The same ones who are demanding we never use that term crazy?

are the same ones who think all mental illness is the same.

So now it goes back to this

EXACTLY how much creatives have to be mindful and responsible in the depictions of certain subject matter and at certain cultural shifts?

Cause i STILL say very little

Provided of course...

The work is GOOD

But again i aint seen it

But i am getting completely different reviews from trusted sources

The only consensus?

Phoenix acted his ass off and is getting an Oscar...

Which is crazy, cause for all of Marvel success?

DC might get 2 major acting academy awards

But to be fair...

The same damn character

Sidebar...

Robert Downey jr. Should get nominated for Endgame.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Thats a fair point

To

And the cancel culture

EXACTLY how much creatives have to be mindful and responsible in the depictions of certain subject matter and at certain cultural shifts?

Provided of course...

The work is GOOD

But again i aint seen it

The only consensus?

But to be fair...

The same damn character

Sidebar...

No marvel person has had to show range like this joker

silentking

Occasional Superstar **
Registered
It's a decent film....not a decent Joker movie though. It underscored all the reasons I didnt want a Joker origin story. Joker is the antithesis of Batman.....everywhere Bruce is calculated, trained and prepped....Joker is chaos for the sake of chaos. I dont need or want a reason for that. Especially not a thin ass "I thought I was a Wayne" plot line. The most egregious part of it all for me is that given this story line, there is no way in hell that Bruce..and for that matter every marginally intelligent person in Gotham....doesnt know who the Joker is after 5 minutes of critical thought. Its just stupid. All that said, I enjoyed Jauqin Phoenix's take on Taxi Driver.

blackman80

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I didn't to the movies and see but I watch off the Internet and it was a good movie!!..alot of twist and some things that will have you guessing..But it was a pretty good movie!!..:yes:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Thats a fair point

To

And the cancel culture

Provided of course...

The work is GOOD

But again i aint seen it

The only consensus?

But to be fair...

The same damn character

Sidebar...

nominated for what? A cool line.. Thanos was the best actor in those movies and he's all cgi... Followed by ebony maw( who was my favorite character)

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Great movie but it wasnt the joker..

The joker is a mastermind......
.this joker was no mastermind intriguing yes

Mastermind no....

And for that he
comes in number three behind ledger and Nicholson

A close three tho
lol at him coming in number 3... There's only 4 jokers... The S hit show that was suicide squad joker dead last... Heath carrying dark knight was uno... Jack was two... Being 3rd place was the only spot left...if he did worst than suicide joker he might want to go on a long vacation

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
https://www.thenipslip.com/2019/10/zazie-beetz-see-through-at-the-new-york-film-festival/

https://www.thenipslip.com/2019/10/zazie-beetz-cleavage-at-the-joker-premiere/

https://www.thenipslip.com/2018/05/zazie-beetz-sideboob-at-a-deadpool-2-event/

https://www.thenipslip.com/category/zazie-beetz/

TheNipSlipBig3912.jpg

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Great movie but it wasnt the joker..

The joker is a mastermind......
.this joker was no mastermind intriguing yes

Mastermind no....

And for that he
comes in number three behind ledger and Nicholson

A close three tho
Joker is whoever and whatever he told you he was. Mind you this is his origin story. Those meds were making him a zombie. This character could still develop into a mastermind. It’s like Walter White in Breaking Bad. His growth from season 1 to the finale evident.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
lol at him coming in number 3... There's only 4 jokers... The S hit show that was suicide squad joker dead last... Heath carrying dark knight was uno... Jack was two... Being 3rd place was the only spot left...if he did worst than suicide joker he might want to go on a long vacation
And y’all boosting Jack. I liked him but ain’t no way this Joker below him. It’s too early to tell on Heath Joker.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
And y’all boosting Jack. I liked him but ain’t no way this Joker below him. It’s too early to tell on Heath Joker.
I actually liked the first batman... This crap that happen to have the joker name attached to it wasn't enjoyable... In fact I'm convinced more people are grading this on a curve cause the joker name is attached to it and cause they like Phoenix as an actor... This movie is named something else and I can bet this movie doesn't get this much love... This movie might have surpassed avenger end game as the most overrated movie of the year... Nope it has surpassed it as most overrated... At least I can watch the beginning and end of endgame and actually enjoy it... This movie had the midget part..yep that's it.. I'm like have I seen a different copy the way people are talking about this movie like it's actually good

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I actually liked the first batman... This crap that happen to have the joker name attached to it wasn't enjoyable... In fact I'm convinced more people are grading this on a curve cause the joker name is attached to it and cause they like Phoenix as an actor... This movie is named something else and I can bet this movie doesn't get this much love... This movie might have surpassed avenger end game as the most overrated movie of the year... Nope it has surpassed it as most overrated... At least I can watch the beginning and end of endgame and actually enjoy it... This movie had the midget part..yep that's it.. I'm like have I seen a different copy the way people are talking about this movie like it's actually good
Naw it would be the opposite. If this movie didn’t have Jokers name attached it would get more love. People are afraid to praise films based on comic book characters. This shit would go down with the same praise that Taxi Driver gets.

This shit was brilliant. These comic book movies work best when you actually forget it’s a comic book. Not those cgi infested bullshits that’s just all about special effects. It’s why Nolan’s Batman’s worked so well.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Naw it would be the opposite. If this movie didn’t have Jokers name attached it would get more love. People are afraid to praise films based on comic book characters. This shit would go down with the same praise that Taxi Driver gets.

This shit was brilliant. These comic book movies work best when you actually forget it’s a comic book. Not those cgi infested bullshits that’s just all about special effects. It’s why Nolan’s Batman’s worked so well.
There's more comic book fans than a lil bit and if you actually hear a lot of reviews they keep saying this movie is a modern version of taxi driver.. Like I said this movie is getting high praises and I wonder did I see the same film everybody else watch cause it really is forgettable not rewatchable 1 of those why was this movie even made... Bunch of scenes thrown together that you have to imagine your comprehension is on low to believe this was possible especially towards the end when it went into everything is a perfect coincidence mode

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The movie was brilliant surpassed only by Phoenix great performance. The origin was perfect and enhanced the lore of the Joker. Its important to remember this is year 1 of the Joker,he still has to establish and underground crime syndicate,meet Harley Quinn,fall in the chemicals which make him nearly immortal,Batman coming on the scene. This was a great movie and made his origin believable.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The movie was brilliant surpassed only by Phoenix great performance. The origin was perfect and enhanced the lore of the Joker. Its important to remember this is year 1 of the Joker,he still has to establish and underground crime syndicate,meet Harley Quinn,fall in the chemicals which make him nearly immortal,Batman coming on the scene. This was a great movie and made his origin believable.
this might not even be the real joker or his true origin story or could be a complete lie that inspires the real joker... The person who made it is on some he gonna reveal the truth in the future about this whole movie... He doesn't even want to include Batman in this world... Which makes this movie even more weak

Kaffeine

Support BGOL
Registered
According to this movie, Harley was a todler. Movie was good, not brilliant and 'movie of the year' like they're hyping it up to be.

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
Saw it today. Really great film. I knew when De Niro made fun of him in the trailer Joker was gonna clap him on stage. Film could be totally separate from being a comic book source film and be broken down to a film targeting the mental ill & the system passing the buck and letting them down. I still prefer Heath Ledger Joker as a comic to film portrayal. Phoenix portrayal is much more than just the stages of becoming the insane clown.

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
Man y'all tripping...
This movie was trash. Had me all hyped to see this bullshit and it fuckin sucked. I'm glad I didn't pay to see this I'd have been pissed the fuck off.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They SAID all that shit but I didn't believe it. Joaquin did a good job but there was a lot missing to the character's development. I don't know how they could have fixed it but he wasn't sinister enough. He wasn't sympathetic enough. I have no idea how the clowns were just following him. That whole part was dumb and made no sense.

Movie just felt flat.

Good performances. Good scenes just flat.

He was abused, suffered head trauma, a foster kid, raised in a unloving home, lied to and manipulated, an outcast, lacked social kills, bullied, was a virgin, created fake realities in his head to get through his depressing life

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
There are more than 4 Jokers.