Movie News: Barbie movie starring Margot Robbie lands Summer 2023 Release UPDATE: $1.03B !!!

The Catcher In The Rye

Rye-sing Star
Registered

OK, "Barbie": I was hoping it wouldn't be preachy, man-hating, and a #ZombieLie - alas, it was all three. What is a Zombie Lie? Something that never was true, but certain people refuse to stop saying it (tax cuts for the rich increase revenues, e.g.); OR something that USED to be true but no longer is, but certain people pretend it's still true. "Barbie" is this kind of #ZombieLie.

Spoiler alert, Barbie fights the Patriarchy. Right up to the Mattel board who created her, consisting of 12 white men! The Patriarchy! Except there's a Mattel board in real life, and it's 7 men and 5 women. OK, not perfect even-steven, but not the way the board IN THE MOVIE - which takes place in 2023 - is portrayed. And not really any longer deserving of the word "patriarchy." Yes, there was one, and remnants of it remain - but this movie is so 2000-LATE.

At one point the Barbies have to win over the Kens, and they are told to do it by pretending to act helpless and not know how to do stuff. Helen Gurley Brown called, she wants her premise back. Yes, that WAS a thing. I saw "Barbie" with a woman in her 30s who said, "I don't know a single woman of any age who would act like that today."

I know, I know, 'How could I know about the patriarchy, I AM a man!' That argument is so old and so silly. Of course, none of us can know exactly what others go through life, but I can see the world around me, and I can read data. The real Mattel board is a pretty close mirror of the country, where 45% of the 449 board seats filled last year in Fortune 500 companies were women. Truth is, I'm not the one who's out of step - I'm living in the year we're living in. Barbie is fun, I enjoyed it - but it IS a #ZombieLie. And people who don't go along with zombie lies did not take some red pill - just staying true to CURRENT reality. Let's live in the year we're living in! Hi Ken!!!
#BarbieMovie

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
But like I tell all my entertainment experts on bgol...

We really don't know the ACTUAL budgets.

Even these so called projection experts are off as f*ck

But of course we make excuses for them and make them millions like the so called political voting experts that said trump couldn't win

You know how many of these so called experts were WRONG about these grosses?

But instead of saying they just "guessing" it's I can't believed the public??? They are so unpredictable??? It must have word if mouth? Blah blah blah

they just don't know

Because while it's complicated as f*ck it's also as simple.

Money, the trailer, the late night talk show interview, music from the movie, weather, feelings that day, theatre quality, the app not working, free passes, discount tickets, the theatre printing the wrong ticket for the movie (yeah that STILL happens), marketing & promotion, gossip, social media, YouTube video review, the LAST EXPERIENCE at theater, bgol cinema, etc etc etc

So while I agree with you?

I also have skepticism with ALL these actual numbers to the point where that part ain't even really fun anymore.
I get it. You more the entertainment industry(about the people in it) guy, while I like the numbers. These studios basically admit the budgets in a lot of cases. We sure as hell know when they discuss profits/losses on those earning calls. Man, it's basically fill in the blanks at this point. :smh:

Confusion with numbers happens because of bullshit places like screenrant. They only took production budget into account and then anounce that GoG3 made over $250 million. Or you have Rock and Kev talking gross revenue. Trust me, I get the skepticism. But if you doubt the numbers, why are people like Iger admitting losses on earnings calls and making massive cuts? So trust that the numbers that folks are reporting for losses are close to real as possible.

But hey, this a barbie celebration thread. So the biggest film of the year is part of the culture war. I find it funny as hell man. Blonde hair, blue eye white women is going to be the 'we stuck it to incels' moment for 2023. :roflmao3:It's funny when I can honestly say both sides look confused as fuck this time. Like they don't even know what they arguing, they just see the other side and try to take up an opposite position. :lol:

The Catcher In The Rye

Rye-sing Star
Registered

OK, "Barbie": I was hoping it wouldn't be preachy, man-hating, and a #ZombieLie - alas, it was all three. What is a Zombie Lie? Something that never was true, but certain people refuse to stop saying it (tax cuts for the rich increase revenues, e.g.); OR something that USED to be true but no longer is, but certain people pretend it's still true. "Barbie" is this kind of #ZombieLie.

Spoiler alert, Barbie fights the Patriarchy. Right up to the Mattel board who created her, consisting of 12 white men! The Patriarchy! Except there's a Mattel board in real life, and it's 7 men and 5 women. OK, not perfect even-steven, but not the way the board IN THE MOVIE - which takes place in 2023 - is portrayed. And not really any longer deserving of the word "patriarchy." Yes, there was one, and remnants of it remain - but this movie is so 2000-LATE.

At one point the Barbies have to win over the Kens, and they are told to do it by pretending to act helpless and not know how to do stuff. Helen Gurley Brown called, she wants her premise back. Yes, that WAS a thing. I saw "Barbie" with a woman in her 30s who said, "I don't know a single woman of any age who would act like that today."

I know, I know, 'How could I know about the patriarchy, I AM a man!' That argument is so old and so silly. Of course, none of us can know exactly what others go through life, but I can see the world around me, and I can read data. The real Mattel board is a pretty close mirror of the country, where 45% of the 449 board seats filled last year in Fortune 500 companies were women. Truth is, I'm not the one who's out of step - I'm living in the year we're living in. Barbie is fun, I enjoyed it - but it IS a #ZombieLie. And people who don't go along with zombie lies did not take some red pill - just staying true to CURRENT reality. Let's live in the year we're living in! Hi Ken!!!
#BarbieMovie

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I get it. You more the entertainment industry(about the people in it) guy, while I like the numbers. These studios basically admit the budgets in a lot of cases. We sure as hell know when they discuss profits/losses on those earning calls. Man, it's basically fill in the blanks at this point. :smh:

Confusion with numbers happens because of bullshit places like screenrant. They only took production budget into account and then anounce that GoG3 made over $250 million. Or you have Rock and Kev talking gross revenue. Trust me, I get the skepticism. But if you doubt the numbers, why are people like Iger admitting losses on earnings calls and making massive cuts? So trust that the numbers that folks are reporting for losses are close to real as possible.

But hey, this a barbie celebration thread. So the biggest film of the year is part of the culture war. I find it funny as hell man. Blonde hair, blue eye white women is going to be the 'we stuck it to incels' moment for 2023. :roflmao3:It's funny when I can honestly say both sides look confused as fuck this time. Like they don't even know what they arguing, they just see the other side and try to take up an opposite position. :lol:

Agreed.

88% of these "trusted" media sites are bullsh*t with actual numbers and info

But trust me Hollywood accounting is on some doctor stange level of matter manipulation.

All I'm saying is we can take all these numbers at face value but we ALWAYS gonna put an asterisk on there somewhere cause the things they do behind the scenes for taxes and share holders is filthy as f*ck.

Goes for sports teams too.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@gene cisco

will this even MATTER?

I assume the studio KNEW this going in?

Kuwait and Lebanon to ban Barbie over gender and sexuality​

Lebanon's culture minister says the summer blockbuster "promotes sexual deviance and transsexuality."
By Jessica WangAugust 10, 2023 at 12:36 PM EDT

Barbie was set to cruise into the Middle East in her pink convertible this week, but the doll's hit some roadblocks en route to Kuwait and Lebanon.
Kuwait announced that Barbie has been banned late Wednesday, stating that the summer blockbuster from director Greta Gerwig promotes "ideas and beliefs that are alien to the Kuwaiti society and public order," without further elaboration, per the Associated Press.
Authorities in Lebanon have also moved to ban the film after delaying its release to late August. Culture Minister Mohammad Mortada said it contradicts "moral and religious values as well as the principles of Lebanon" and "promotes homosexuality and sexual transformation." The movie also "promotes sexual deviance and transsexuality," the minister said.

Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling in 'Barbie'

| CREDIT: WARNER BROS. PICTURES
The bans come amid heightened anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric by politicians and officials in the country and surrounding regions in the Middle East, many of which consider homosexuality sinful. Hassan Nasrallah, leader of political party and militant group Hezbollah in Lebanon, appeared to call for anti-gay violence last month, calling the LGBTQ+ community a "threat to society" and inciting harassment and death threats against the community.
Led by Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, Barbie does not feature any overt sexuality, though the star-studded cast includes folks from the LGBTQ+ community, including Kate McKinnon, Hari Nef, Alexandra Shipp, and Scott Evans. The film recently crossed the $1 billion mark at the box office, making Gerwig the first solo female director to race past the threshold.
Another summer blockbuster, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, was similarly pulled from theaters across the Middle East last month, reportedly over a scene that included a poster featuring the transgender flag in the background.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
@gene cisco

will this even MATTER?

I assume the studio KNEW this going in?

Lebanon's culture minister says the summer blockbuster "promotes sexual deviance and transsexuality."

Barbie was set to cruise into the Middle East in her pink convertible this week, but the doll's hit some roadblocks en route to Kuwait and Lebanon.
Kuwait announced that Barbie has been banned late Wednesday, stating that the summer blockbuster from director Greta Gerwig promotes "ideas and beliefs that are alien to the Kuwaiti society and public order," without further elaboration, per the Associated Press.
Authorities in Lebanon have also moved to ban the film after delaying its release to late August. Culture Minister Mohammad Mortada said it contradicts "moral and religious values as well as the principles of Lebanon" and "promotes homosexuality and sexual transformation." The movie also "promotes sexual deviance and transsexuality," the minister said.

Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling in 'Barbie''Barbie'

The bans come amid heightened anti-LGBTQ+ rhetoric by politicians and officials in the country and surrounding regions in the Middle East, many of which consider homosexuality sinful. Hassan Nasrallah, leader of political party and militant group Hezbollah in Lebanon, appeared to call for anti-gay violence last month, calling the LGBTQ+ community a "threat to society" and inciting harassment and death threats against the community.
Led by Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, Barbie does not feature any overt sexuality, though the star-studded cast includes folks from the LGBTQ+ community, including Kate McKinnon, Hari Nef, Alexandra Shipp, and Scott Evans. The film recently crossed the $1 billion mark at the box office, making Gerwig the first solo female director to race past the threshold.
Another summer blockbuster, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, was similarly pulled from theaters across the Middle East last month, reportedly over a scene that included a poster featuring the transgender flag in the background.
Well, it's to the point the west has to know the middle east, China, and some other places don't play that gender made up shit. So yeah, they knew it going in and did a good job hiding it. Sometimes, they just cut the shit out for those places.

None of this stops Barbie from being the biggest movie of the year. Had they just made it 'normal'('no alphabet/down with the patriarchy shit) probably would be doing some all-time numbers. So many more people would be going multiple times the world over.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
That's supposedly the next ip Nintendo is going to make, I can see it being a great animated film, question is which Zelda to adapt? Botw/totk era would be epic!

I think Nintendo is gonna have an original story but I would not be against it being one of the games.

My preference would be the first game since the story is simple but have easter eggs from the other games.

I hope after Zelda,Metroid is next....

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Well, it's to the point the west has to know the middle east, China, and some other places don't play that gender made up shit. So yeah, they knew it going in and did a good job hiding it. Sometimes, they just cut the shit out for those places.

None of this stops Barbie from being the biggest movie of the year. Had they just made it 'normal'('no alphabet/down with the patriarchy shit) probably would be doing some all-time numbers. So many more people would be going multiple times the world over.

I have nit seen it yet

But from what I heard THAT is the foundation of the overall story

So I would "assume" without that it probably wouldn't be as hot?

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
I have nit seen it yet

But from what I heard THAT is the foundation of the overall story

So I would "assume" without that it probably wouldn't be as hot?
What I mean is that the experience by itself is what was hot about the movie. All those people in pink. All the grown women taking their kids and draggings significant others. Only thing the story(patriarchy shit and tranny) could do was turn SOME people off with the messaging and kill repeat sales/word of mouth. That's it. Much like mario, story should be simple.

That's why I talk so much about the marketing for this movie. Marketing just was about Barbie, none of the other shit folks complain about. It's one reason why I was saying this would be a hit then when folks started seeing it and reporting the story I was confused as hell. This a $2 billion movie if normal.

Look at the other $2 billion movies. They were all events/experiences. And with NOTHING to compete with for the foreseeable future???? Sheeeeeeeeit. This would have been even bigger than now, which is saying a lot.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
What I mean is that the experience by itself is what was hot about the movie. All those people in pink. All the grown women taking their kids and draggings significant others. Only thing the story(patriarchy shit and tranny) could do was turn SOME people off with the messaging and kill repeat sales/word of mouth. That's it. Much like mario, story should be simple.

That's why I talk so much about the marketing for this movie. Marketing just was about Barbie, none of the other shit folks complain about. It's one reason why I was saying this would be a hit then when folks started seeing it and reporting the story I was confused as hell. This a $2 billion movie if normal.

Look at the other $2 billion movies. They were all events/experiences. And with NOTHING to compete with for the foreseeable future???? Sheeeeeeeeit. This would have been even bigger than now, which is saying a lot.

It's funny you say that..theatre owners would disagree o had followed telling me theatres were rented out the teamed with outside sponsor etc. That group felt like it was a gay friendly movie

Not COMPLETELY disagreeing with you though

Only about the marketing not targeting that community that's it.

Whoever did the promotion needs a raise cause that community felt seen and apparently the targeted marketing worked and made them feel like it WAS their movie.

But OTHER PEOPLE did too and didn't feel threatened

You right about something else too.

Barbie is intrinsically gay trans queer friendly fanbase always has been always will be

but it's always for the "girls" and EVERYTHING that entails

And they did not mess that up and most importantly didn't let outsiders mess it up

And the girl dads represented

It was brilliant.

But I'm NOT surprised (but go to thru the first 2 pages of this thread and read some of the comments againt the movie and me even posting about it)

it's unfair to compare that to comics where it's ALWAYS been racist and prejudice baked in.

Gamers are tricky but Mario to me was such a family friendly targeted movie...

And the demographic was so vast

And they never were going to mess with the IP they DIDN'T HAVE TO.

Disney need to study this and use it for Marvels and also WW3 and Captain America and Superman and well every thing

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
It's funny you say that..theatre owners would disagree o had followed telling me theatres were rented out the teamed with outside sponsor etc. That group felt like it was a gay friendly movie

Not COMPLETELY disagreeing with you though

Only about the marketing not targeting that community that's it.

Whoever did the promotion needs a raise cause that community felt seen and apparently the targeted marketing worked and made them feel like it WAS their movie.

But OTHER PEOPLE did too and didn't feel threatened

You right about something else too.

Barbie is intrinsically gay trans queer friendly fanbase always has been always will be

but it's always for the "girls" and EVERYTHING that entails

And they did not mess that up and most importantly didn't let outsiders mess it up

And the girl dads represented

It was brilliant.

But I'm NOT surprised (but go to thru the first 2 pages of this thread and read some of the comments againt the movie and me even posting about it)

it's unfair to compare that to comics where it's ALWAYS been racist and prejudice baked in.

Gamers are tricky but Mario to me was such a family friendly targeted movie...

And the demographic was so vast

And they never were going to mess with the IP they DIDN'T HAVE TO.

Disney need to study this and use it for Marvels and also WW3 and Captain America and Superman and well every thing
Yeah, it could be viewed that SOME LGBTQ people came out because of it being gay friendly, but as you said, it is intrinsically that way. Barbie is for little girls and boys who feel like little girls. They were all going to come out anyway. It's their childhood too. :yes: Gay folks still would have been out in all pink just like as kids they had their barbie dolls, shirts, posters, etc.

To me, It's always business, never personal. Objectively, what is the better course to get more dollars?

Let's say you and I had backing from a studio to do a Strawberry shortcake Live action. Would we bring the world people grew up on to life or do what WE want? That is another franchise that has shit baked in that doesn't need to be overtly mentioned(we don't have to do any blatant alphabet shit). And no, we ain't casting the rock as the Purple Pieman as much as I think he'd kill the role.:lol: It got to be an old cac(the corpse of Jim Carey might do). Our production would make money. Disney's would lose 9 figures.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Barbie’s last push with double digit ticket sales will be Labor Day weekend.

Good chance Warner Bros will release the 4K UHD Blu-ray in November.

That Blu-ray is gonna sellout quickly cuz folks want the hard copy in the case with the logo on the disc, they ain’t gonna want a illegal download.

Folks are gonna want to buy it for a stocking stuffer gift for Christmas.

And the Blu-ray will be a double disc with the extended cut of the film along with deleted scenes, commentary, behind the scenes and other extras people are gonna want to see.

I still haven’t seen it, will most likely watch when it debuts on MAX and check it out on Thanksgiving while stuffing my face.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
The InCells are foaming at the mouth over this.

HaHa!!!

‘Barbie’ tops ‘The Dark Knight’ to become Warner Bros.’ biggest movie ever at the American box office

The Greta Gerwig-directed film about the iconic doll, is now Warner Bros.’ highest-grossing domestic release, beating the former title holder, the 2008 film “The Dark Knight.” As of Tuesday, “Barbie” has made $537.4 million at the US box office, surpassing the haul of director Christopher Nolan’s Batman blockbuster, “The Dark Knight,” which amassed $536 million.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The InCells are foaming at the mouth over this.

HaHa!!!

‘Barbie’ tops ‘The Dark Knight’ to become Warner Bros.’ biggest movie ever at the American box office

The Greta Gerwig-directed film about the iconic doll, is now Warner Bros.’ highest-grossing domestic release, beating the former title holder, the 2008 film “The Dark Knight.” As of Tuesday, “Barbie” has made $537.4 million at the US box office, surpassing the haul of director Christopher Nolan’s Batman blockbuster, “The Dark Knight,” which amassed $536 million.

I love it

conspiracy Bro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Bro I know a lot of women and no they wouldn’t be watching this movie if the feminist stuff wasn’t in there. Women are seeing this like it’s the hottest romance movie because of the message & the director was smart enough to have Barbie’s be represented by women of all shapes, colors, and sizes.

Literally this is a movie magic movie where if you read the script it would be stupid, the concept is stupid, but the director and actors turned this shit into gold. I’m going to go a step further and say if national Abortion wasn’t struck down women wouldn’t be so open to this message right now.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Bro I know a lot of women and no they wouldn’t be watching this movie if the feminist stuff wasn’t in there. Women are seeing this like it’s the hottest romance movie because of the message & the director was smart enough to have Barbie’s be represented by women of all shapes, colors, and sizes.

Literally this is a movie magic movie where if you read the script it would be stupid, the concept is stupid, but the director and actors turned this shit into gold. I’m going to go a step further and say if national Abortion wasn’t struck down women wouldn’t be so open to this message right now.
We all know a lot of women. It's a fact due to the promotion that damn near no one fucking knew that the patriarchy shit was in the movie. We have discussed the masterful promotion at length in this thread. It was only once the screenings hit days before release when people started talking about the alleged anti-man shit. Again, it was discussed here in real time.

Women were there for the experience(just like women watch sports for the experience thus they don't support WNBA :roflmao:). Period. The promotion that showed an experience. They were planning to see this and the screening noise didn't do shit and the anti-man shit seemed to be overblown after more people seen it.

And the primary promotion focused on blonde, blue eyed barbie(no 'stick it to incel' marketing). Hell, I remember seeing the promotion in the winter when Mario was doing numbers and saying this would be a hit because it stayed true to the IP. Seemed the women felt that way too. :lol:

And I will state once again, this is a lesson for all of hollywood. Stay true to the IP. Make it recognizeable. Hide ANY messaging shit on the backend once money is in hand.

Barbie was never, ever, ever for straight men, so this wasn't the 'incels are mad' shit desperate folks claiming. They desperate for a win. Barbie ain't it though. Barbie proves the 'incels' right. They gave women the barbie and pink world they recognized(instead of doing a Velma swap for main barbie and making the world yellow or some shit). True to the IP(been different color barbies for years now and my daughters have some).

conspiracy Bro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We all know a lot of women. It's a fact due to the promotion that damn near no one fucking knew that the patriarchy shit was in the movie. We have discussed the masterful promotion at length in this thread. It was only once the screenings hit days before release when people started talking about the alleged anti-man shit. Again, it was discussed here in real time.

Women were there for the experience(just like women watch sports for the experience thus they don't support WNBA :roflmao:). Period. The promotion that showed an experience. They were planning to see this and the screening noise didn't do shit and the anti-man shit seemed to be overblown after more people seen it.

And the primary promotion focused on blonde, blue eyed barbie(no 'stick it to incel' marketing). Hell, I remember seeing the promotion in the winter when Mario was doing numbers and saying this would be a hit because it stayed true to the IP. Seemed the women felt that way too. :lol:

And I will state once again, this is a lesson for all of hollywood. Stay true to the IP. Make it recognizeable. Hide ANY messaging shit on the backend once money is in hand.

Barbie was never, ever, ever for straight men, so this wasn't the 'incels are mad' shit desperate folks claiming. They desperate for a win. Barbie ain't it though. Barbie proves the 'incels' right. They gave women the barbie and pink world they recognized(instead of doing a Velma swap for main barbie and making the world yellow or some shit). True to the IP(been different color barbies for years now and my daughters have some).
You think a bunch of women are watching that movie 2-3 times each just because of Margot Robbie wearing a pink dress. The whole movie is a feel good movie for women. Like how Black Panther was a feel good movie for black people. Barbie tongue in cheek approach to women feeling like second class citizens is why it did well & it being a trip down their childhood nostalgia. I also don’t think you can say “staying true to the IP” makes money when the movie ends with Barbie visiting a gynecologist.

It is, what it is, and I also don’t think it’s anti-man either just because they got a running joke in it that most men basically think with their dicks, and can be easily distracted or that men like dominate women with stupid shit….because most of us do. That’s why those incels getting mad is so funny, it’s not a serious movie but they just can’t laugh at themselves a little and move onto to something they enjoy.

Walter Panov

Rising Star
Registered

Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling in 'Barbie''Barbie'

What is this about? @Helico-pterFunk can you answer? Are they're worried about a poster or is there something more in the movie.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
What is this about? @Helico-pterFunk can you answer? Are they're worried about a poster or is there something more in the movie.

Probably related to the cast inclusions listed below, and critiques of patriarchy, etc.

“Led by Margot Robbie and Ryan Gosling, Barbie does not feature any overt sexuality, though the star-studded cast includes folks from the LGBTQ+ community, including Kate McKinnon, Hari Nef, Alexandra Shipp, and Scott Evans.”