Movie News: Barbie movie starring Margot Robbie lands Summer 2023 Release UPDATE: $1.03B !!!

julian

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
me and the wife went to see it yesterday and I was surprised I actually enjoyed the movie. it had several laugh out loud scenes and a ton of damn scenes that will go over most people heads. my wife has a dozen or so barbies in mint condition in the box. she said they have gone up in value 4-fold since the movie came out i asked her how much is it worth and she said the full set could get 5 figures easy no haggle and maybe more. I was shocked i had no idea this shit is worth that kinda money

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Saw it last Thursday - free tickets.

All ages and backgrounds in attendance.

We had a middle-aged lady sitting behind us a few rows back who was stoned & laughing at everything. She had a great, cartoon laugh so it added to the comical moments of the movie as it got other people laughing too.

Margot Robbie can still get that RAW work.

margot-robbie_001.gif

2fearthis

Star
Registered

We had a middle-aged lady sitting behind us a few rows back who was stoned & laughing at everything. She had a great, cartoon laugh so it added to the comical moments of the movie as it got other people laughing too.

margot-robbie_001.gif

Well with all the work she has done. She could be a real life barbie

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
I'm shocked that people are so surprised that it turned out to be a quality movie, this shit was written by an indie film darling power couple who have some great films under their belts. Noah Baumbach in particular is a pretty great writer and director imo.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I'm shocked that people are so surprised that it turned out to be a quality movie, this shit was written by an indie film darling power couple who have some great films under their belts. Noah Baumbach in particular is a pretty great writer and director imo.

This thing been in development for a long time big names dropped out the subject matter incels..

I got it.

But after the way super Mario was received and Margot robbie casting?

It was a no brainer.

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
when i heard i was cast as a barbie in the barbie movie, it looked like i was maybe not going to be able to do the film because of a scheduling conflict. so i wrote greta and margot a letter essentially begging them to fudge the schedule a little bit, as i had big feelings about wanting to join this film. part of what i wrote was:

'This is a big movie, made by a team whose work has played no small role in cultivating my love of sitting in the dark in front of big screens for an hour or two. But that’s just a part of why I want–my heart says “need”–to join in the making of this film. Identity politics and cinema aren’t my favorite combination, but the name BARBIE looms large over every American woman. Barbie’s the standard; she’s The Girl; she’s certainly THE doll. Me and my girlfriends–okay, yeah, me and my other transgender girlfriends– we started calling ourselves “the dolls” a couple of years ago, though the phrase stretches back into the language of our foremothers in the ballroom scene. "The Dolls." Maybe it's a bid to ratify our femininity, to smile and sneer at the standards we’re held to as women. It’s a joke, of course; we throw our voices: “the do-o-lls!” But underneath the word “doll” is the shape of a woman who is not quite a woman–recognizable as such, but still a fake. “Doll” is fraught, glamorous; she is, and she isn’t. We call ourselves “the dolls” in the face of everything we know we are, never will be, hope to be. We yell the word because the word matters. And no doll matters more than Barbie.'

barbie (2023) dir. greta gerwig is in theaters july 21st
#barbiethemovie

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

These 2 ain't really my type of cats(even Smith admits in the peewee tribute he'd be online attention whoring if he were sick and I believe he is built weak like that). Did watch what they had to say about Barbie(and lando), and did agree wth Smith on that one line about mothers standing still. Great line.

They basically said the movie was a 2 hour commercial for the toy. Great point. Combine that with the 'using all a companies worldwide pink paint' and it just gives more weight to how to keep an IP an IP. All that pink is like a little girl's dream room(world). They basically brought every western woman back to childhood.

And trust, sitting through Smith after what he did to my Master's of the Universe was hard. Meanwhile, he going on about how well-done this was. Bitch, you had a chance to do that with He-man but had to fuck it up. :angry: I never came back for part 2.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
These 2 ain't really my type of cats(even Smith admits in the peewee tribute he'd be online attention whoring if he were sick and I believe he is built weak like that). Did watch what they had to say about Barbie(and lando), and did agree wth Smith on that one line about mothers standing still. Great line.

They basically said the movie was a 2 hour commercial for the toy. Great point. Combine that with the 'using all a companies worldwide pink paint' and it just gives more weight to how to keep an IP an IP. All that pink is like a little girl's dream room(world). They basically brought every western woman back to childhood.

And trust, sitting through Smith after what he did to my Master's of the Universe was hard. Meanwhile, he going on about how well-done this was. Bitch, you had a chance to do that with He-man but had to fuck it up. :angry: I never came back for part 2.

Okay bro

Personal attacks aside...

I thought you would appreciate the insight on it being a huge commercial the studio and company giving the artists free reign and how they didn't care if certain QUADRANT didn't support this movie.

All those points I agree with concerning almost every major motion picture

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

They cursed. :roflmao:

Look at that list closer too. Only 4 films made a profit worthy of mentioning(I ain't counting GoG3 because its 10s of millions). The movies are Super mario, Barbie, Oppen, and Spidy. The other movies lost $500 million + easy.

And fools striking. :lol:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Look at that list closer too. Only 4 films made a profit worthy of mentioning(I ain't counting GoG3 because its 10s of millions). The movies are Super mario, Barbie, Oppen, and Spidy. The other movies lost $500 million + easy.

Hold on you against the strike?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Gawd damn that's some selective privileged sh*t

:lol:

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Was it a good well written movie?

....and YES, Margot Raw!

margot-robbie_001.gif

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Was it a good well written movie?

....and YES, Margot Raw!

Margot Raw bie.

I thought it was pretty good.

Had comedy and heart. Robbie played it well. Gave character development to Ken, lol. Funniest side characters were played by Michael Cera and Kate McKinnon.

Gerwig & Baumbach (they have 2 kids together and live common law) will pick up some more award nominations and wins ... good writers & directors respectively.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member
Bro?

I UNDERSTAND!

Now the 1 billion dollar question is...

Is there ANOTHER IP that could cause this much craze across the board???

I think you gotta Legend of Zelda?

Matchbox?

Some type of moving that has all the old 70 80 90 sit com actors in it?

A different world movie?

New James bond?

six million dollar man?

What IP like Barbie has survived since 1959???!!

i-am-legend-will-smith.gif

I will not allow you to jinx Zelda. That's my favorite video game series of all time...

:fuckyousay::fuckyousay::fuckyousay::fuckyousay::fuckyousay::fuckyousay::fuckyousay::fuckyousay:

flying-kick-drop-kick.gif

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Hold on you against the strike?
Naw, I'm for that shit. Love it. Personally, ain't missing none of it. I'm more into YouTube like the young folks. Love the shift of entertainment away from the gatekeepers.
Gawd damn that's some selective privileged sh*t

:lol:
I don't do privilege, just facts. I ain't a screenrant writer. :lol:

Want the math? They did around 86 million of that 845 in China and only get 25 percent of that shit IF they lucky. So if we go with 250 production and 150 marketing the movie MIGHT have made 3 million. Bring the marketing budget down to 125(wishful thinking since Disney burns money) and it MIGHT be 28 million.

It's a shame though. I enjoyed the movie.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Naw, I'm for that shit. Love it. Personally, ain't missing none of it. I'm more into YouTube like the young folks. Love the shift of entertainment away from the gatekeepers.

I don't do privilege, just facts. I ain't a screenrant writer. :lol:

Want the math? They did around 86 million of that 845 in China and only get 25 percent of that shit IF they lucky. So if we go with 250 production and 150 marketing the movie MIGHT have made 3 million. Bring the marketing budget down to 125(wishful thinking since Disney burns money) and it MIGHT be 28 million.

It's a shame though. I enjoyed the movie.

But like I tell all my entertainment experts on bgol...

We really don't know the ACTUAL budgets.

Even these so called projection experts are off as f*ck

But of course we make excuses for them and make them millions like the so called political voting experts that said trump couldn't win

You know how many of these so called experts were WRONG about these grosses?

But instead of saying they just "guessing" it's I can't believed the public??? They are so unpredictable??? It must have word if mouth? Blah blah blah

they just don't know

Because while it's complicated as f*ck it's also as simple.

Money, the trailer, the late night talk show interview, music from the movie, weather, feelings that day, theatre quality, the app not working, free passes, discount tickets, the theatre printing the wrong ticket for the movie (yeah that STILL happens), marketing & promotion, gossip, social media, YouTube video review, the LAST EXPERIENCE at theater, bgol cinema, etc etc etc

So while I agree with you?

I also have skepticism with ALL these actual numbers to the point where that part ain't even really fun anymore.