MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
But they want this Deadpool

They loved the Apes and Godzilla

And apparently love Garfield?!!

I thought they LOVED Ryan Gosling? Not so much

Furiosa, under preforming

IF did well considering, so did Zendaya tennis movie.

People shouldn't forget Monkey Man original IP did well too.

You really cannot predict these audiences.

I'm curious how Bad Boy 4 gonna do.
compare ticket sales to pre pandemic sales

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
But they want this Deadpool

They loved the Apes and Godzilla

And apparently love Garfield?!!

I thought they LOVED Ryan Gosling? Not so much

Furiosa, under preforming

IF did well considering, so did Zendaya tennis movie.

People shouldn't forget Monkey Man original IP did well too.

You really cannot predict these audiences.

I'm curious how Bad Boy 4 gonna do.

Agreed. It’s interesting listening to the Slash Film podcast when the one guy breaks down box office hits and misses. Certain episodes he will break down stats ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
@playahaitian

Scroll down for this guy’s work.

He’s always a good listen on their podcasts. Knows his stuff.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

Fury,Fire and Fun

PRAISE: George Miller returns to his Mad Max world to bring audiences the origin story of Fury Roads Furiosa. I appreciated the time he spends on the character in this movie. Showing what shaped her over the years with a very thorough origin story. Alyla Browne as Furiosa as a girl does an excellent job portraying her as loving, fearful and vengeful. When the torch is passed to Anya Taylor-Joy all of the aforementioned is maintained especially in scenes with Tom Burke who I almost didn't recognize from one of my favorite shows STRIKE.As
Dr. Dementus Chris Hemsworth does a pretty good job. Though his backstory is not as thorough as Furiosa's a few things are dropped to let the audience know what made him into what he is. Hemsworth takes a bit from previous characters he plays so I almost fell for what he was dishing out but no he's basically sinister. What George Miller and Simon Duggan do visually in this movie is nothing short of incredible. From the vastness of sand dunes and canyons and the passingof time. I was focused on one thing in a scene that was playing out that there was something equally cool happening on the sidelines. The action sequences are perfect in every way. Such a good job is done on the people that make up the various factions that make up the post apocalyptic world in this movie I really wondered who was subhuman and who wasn't for the most part. Mix in Tom Holkenborgs score with the action and it just adds to how incredible they are.

PROBLEMS: I do think there was a gap or two in the story in which A couple of things weren't explained. The pacing really slows down in the movies last twenty minutes I kind of knew how things would play out but I was expecting more thrills with it.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Atlas

Artificial Story Arcsl

PRAISE: Jennifer Lopez is another actress finishing up her contract with Netflix and this time around its in Atlas a movie about a data analyst who has to track down a superior AI with the help of an AI despite her mistrust of all AI.
There is some fun to be had watching this flick. Lopez gives it her all in several scenes and she makes some dramatic moments work. The movie borrows a bit from movies like Alien but at least they do something with it here and there. The movie actually brought back some fond memories I have of my old Exo Squad action figures. Speaking of action there are some pretty good CGI filled action sequences. There are some amusing moments as Lopez's character bonds with her AI assistant. There were several good moments with an AI that takes a licking but keeps on ticking.

PROBLEMS: Far to many plot holes. Does any character especially those in the military know anything about stealth?
Simi Liu is wasted in his role he just stares at the camera and says a few sinister things. Absolutely no intimidation from his character. Abraham Popoolas character actually steals his thunder as another AI called Casca in several scenes. Sterling K Brown fairs a bit better but not much and I was actually confused about something that happens with the character but maybe I dosed off and missed something. The way certain things play out should have been told better giving characters a better foundation. What was done briefly in the movie I,Robot gave it that dramatic punch it needed but in this movie it just felt lackluster. When the flick reaches what I thought was it's climax I was shocked there was still twenty four minutes to go.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
So what is this everything fatigue?

We seen a lot of big swings miss.

Like I kept telling dudes it's not superhero movie fatigue

It's bad movie fatigue

Nah, it's not bad movie fatigue, because a lot of the movies have actually been good or entertaining.

It's the cost of movies to go along with streaming.

That 45 day window change made everyone who is on the fence just wait. If there's not a social media factor where it's going to be water cooler talk like Barbie or Oppenheimer people can move on.

and like @Helico-pterFunk said. If you're on the fence with a movie, you can just watch the new streaming movie on Netflix even though it's going to be a piece of shit. Everything is cycled through quickly now.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

Fury,Fire and Fun

PRAISE: George Miller returns to his Mad Max world to bring audiences the origin story of Fury Roads Furiosa. I appreciated the time he spends on the character in this movie. Showing what shaped her over the years with a very thorough origin story. Alyla Browne as Furiosa as a girl does an excellent job portraying her as loving, fearful and vengeful. When the torch is passed to Anya Taylor-Joy all of the aforementioned is maintained especially in scenes with Tom Burke who I almost didn't recognize from one of my favorite shows STRIKE.As
Dr. Dementus Chris Hemsworth does a pretty good job. Though his backstory is not as thorough as Furiosa's a few things are dropped to let the audience know what made him into what he is. Hemsworth takes a bit from previous characters he plays so I almost fell for what he was dishing out but no he's basically sinister. What George Miller and Simon Duggan do visually in this movie is nothing short of incredible. From the vastness of sand dunes and canyons and the passingof time. I was focused on one thing in a scene that was playing out that there was something equally cool happening on the sidelines. The action sequences are perfect in every way. Such a good job is done on the people that make up the various factions that make up the post apocalyptic world in this movie I really wondered who was subhuman and who wasn't for the most part. Mix in Tom Holkenborgs score with the action and it just adds to how incredible they are.

PROBLEMS: I do think there was a gap or two in the story in which A couple of things weren't explained. The pacing really slows down in the movies last twenty minutes I kind of knew how things would play out but I was expecting more thrills with it.

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Atlas

Artificial Story Arcsl

PRAISE: Jennifer Lopez is another actress finishing up her contract with Netflix and this time around its in Atlas a movie about a data analyst who has to track down a superior AI with the help of an AI despite her mistrust of all AI.
There is some fun to be had watching this flick. Lopez gives it her all in several scenes and she makes some dramatic moments work. The movie borrows a bit from movies like Alien but at least they do something with it here and there. The movie actually brought back some fond memories I have of my old Exo Squad action figures. Speaking of action there are some pretty good CGI filled action sequences. There are some amusing moments as Lopez's character bonds with her AI assistant. There were several good moments with an AI that takes a licking but keeps on ticking.

PROBLEMS: Far to many plot holes. Does any character especially those in the military know anything about stealth?
Simi Liu is wasted in his role he just stares at the camera and says a few sinister things. Absolutely no intimidation from his character. Abraham Popoolas character actually steals his thunder as another AI called Casca in several scenes. Sterling K Brown fairs a bit better but not much and I was actually confused about something that happens with the character but maybe I dosed off and missed something. The way certain things play out should have been told better giving characters a better foundation. What was done briefly in the movie I,Robot gave it that dramatic punch it needed but in this movie it just felt lackluster. When the flick reaches what I thought was it's climax I was shocked there was still twenty four minutes to go.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5
Took a chic back in the day to see Maid in Manhattan, JLO been on my shit list since then, no way you can convince me she was a good actress in this movie.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Nah, it's not bad movie fatigue, because a lot of the movies have actually been good or entertaining.

It's the cost of movies to go along with streaming.

That 45 day window change made everyone who is on the fence just wait. If there's not a social media factor where it's going to be water cooler talk like Barbie or Oppenheimer people can move on.

and like @Helico-pterFunk said. If you're on the fence with a movie, you can just watch the new streaming movie on Netflix even though it's going to be a piece of shit. Everything is cycled through quickly now.

I disagree that the audience is not tired of bad / mediocre movies.

I agree they are tired of paying for bad movies at these prices.

The thing is how do they KNOW it's bad before they see it?

And they are also not seeing good movies either.

To be clear NONE of this is new bad movies flop and some bad movies are hits. So I get it's an imperfect science.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Franklyn

5.5/10

This Sci-Fi thriller came up in my tubi recommendations some time ago. The preview clip and trailer looked interesting. Also Eva Green and her pasty, Goth looking Ass co-stars which struck my interest. I watched it last night at home.

The premise is nothing new and has been done a number of times since the 90s in Sci-Fi. The film pretty much becomes predictable in the first 20 minutes when the main 3 characters are introduced, you basically will watch it too see how they and the story eventually ties in.

It tries to be a “MindFuck” film, but comes no where close.

If you are a hardcore Sci-Fi aficionado, you will enjoy this film.

For the Thirsty, Eva Green looks like crap thru-out the film, so don’t get yourself worked up.

Synopsis

Sometime in the future, masked vigilante atheist Jonathan Preest (Ryan Phillippe) seeks revenge against the leader of a high-tech city under the control of a religious regime. His quest is juxtaposed against the issues faced by certain individuals in contemporary London: depressed Emilia (Eva Green), who concocts suicidal performance art; heartbroken Milo (Sam Riley), who is attempting to find his true love; and devout Peter (Bernard Hill), who searches for his missing son, a tormented veteran.

MV5BNzZlN2EyMTMtOTk1Yi00OTY4LTlhNWYtMmFiNDg5MjkyOWM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQ5MzY0NjM@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered

Fury,Fire and Fun

Scale of 1 to 10 an 8

Atlas

Artificial Story Arcsl

Scale of 1 to 10 a 5
Hiwnare they gonna do a mad max movie without mad max? I'm gonna watch fury road again. Havent seen it in nearly a decade and I fell asleep on it last time.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
I remember as kid the best part of that movie was the first part with River Phoenix, those couple minutes were like a movie in itself. The Young Indiana Jones series wasn't bad either but it only lasted a season.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I disagree that the audience is not tired of bad / mediocre movies.

I agree they are tired of paying for bad movies at these prices.

The thing is how do they KNOW it's bad before they see it?

And they are also not seeing good movies either.

To be clear NONE of this is new bad movies flop and some bad movies are hits. So I get it's an imperfect science.

You can go through the movies metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes scores, most of the movies lately from Abigail to Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes have positive scores.

If people cared about quality then Netflix would be losing subscribers and Atlas and Madam Web wouldn't be at the top of their top 10.

Most people would rather see a bad or mediocre movie for free than pay $20 for a ticket to a good movie. It says more about the current consumer than the movie industry.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
You can go through the movies metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes scores, most of the movies lately from Abigail to Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes have positive scores.

If people cared about quality then Netflix would be losing subscribers and Atlas and Madam Web wouldn't be at the top of their top 10.

Most people would rather see a bad or mediocre movie for free than pay $20 for a ticket to a good movie. It says more about the current consumer than the movie industry.

Damn

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

But bro... free ANYTHING wins.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
:smh:

d192766d1e83bf478887dffe0d48cf9fa80f21eca11099ec42508800dbe011bf.jpg

f y i Netflix lies the popularity of shows / movies on the platform
they barely share real ratings with creators licensees and partners

^^^^^

That's the thing i BEEN SAYING!

everyone says streaming is losing money it was a horrible idea in the first place.

But I just do not believe that.

they ain't STUPID.

Something MORE is going on here especially with all the bundles and mergers.

They hiding ALL THESE numbers for a REASON.

We just don't know why.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
replace free with convenience

piracy is not convenient - streaming is easier and initially it was affordable too

Free is free. That's just a fact and nothing beats it. I will end it there because we on the main.

And that is the reason privacy isn't even MORE prevalent is because of convenience of course. We not disputing that. But his point of ticket price and disappointment was valid.

I sat for 30 minutes of trailers bro

30 MINUTES OF COMMERCIALS ACTUALLY

That's ridiculous.

So I think like we been saying for decades theatres have to justify these prices and up the experience.

And then the movie ITSELF was just okay.

And your right again streaming is no longer "affordable" but if these bundles continue and these cell phone companies continue the promotions?

I think it's inevitable we just going back to an updated form of cable tv.