MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Spaceman

5/10

I watched this last night at home on Netflix. It debuted earlier this year.

It’s a Sci-Fi drama, so don’t go into thinking it’s got spaceships flying around blasting shit.

The film is basically a character drama set in space. There really isn’t much to it besides that.

If you suffer from Movie ADHD, don’t watch this film cuz your symptoms will kick in within 15 minutes after opening credits. The film brings up a lot of unanswered questions that also will kick in your Movie ADHD.

Adam Sandler does a decent job with his performance, I suspect he did this film to get on the nomination lists for Oscar/Golden Globes/Emmys for Best Actor, we will wait and see.

Synopsis

Six months into a solo mission, a lonely astronaut confronts the cracks in his marriage with help from a mysterious creature he discovers on his ship.

MV5BMGMyNDg2ZjItMzk5MC00NzJmLTlmMDgtMmFjNjFmODg5ZTY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY3ODkyNDkz._V1_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Rebel Moon - Part One: A Child On Fire

6/10

This film came out last year on Netflix and got negative reviews by critics along with the Agenda Army having severe strokes watching it.

Right after it released, Zack Synder dropped that there is an Extended Cut for Part One and Part Two. The extra footage according to Synder makes the films more adult and adds a 1 hour run time to both films.

I was gonna hold out and wait for the extended cuts which according to Zack Synder, are supposed to be released sometime this summer. Netflix has not made any announcement on their release. I would not be surprised if they hold out until the Holidays or next year.

I decided to binge both films this afternoon at home and will watch the extended cut versions later in the future. It would allow me to have time to soak these in.

This is an original story created by Snyder and isn’t based on anything. The film progresses at a steady pace as it builds up to whatever happens in Part Two. Just like Snyder’s DCEU films, the film looks great visually with set designs and VFX/SFX that keep your eyes glued to the screen. The film has a dark look and feel which works well with what the story is about. The film some what has a “Dune” vibe to it.

Actors do a decent job in their roles. Good casting with a number of B-List and not well known actors.

The film is mainly focused on story development and character introduction/development. I suspect this is probably part of the reason it got a negative reaction with people going into it thinking it was gonna be overloaded with mind numbing, full blown non-stop action with minimal talking.

Other than that, not gonna get into the story being I’m probably the last person on the forum that has seen it.

Gonna take a break and start Part Two here in a bit.

Synopsis

When a colony on the edge of the galaxy finds itself threatened by the armies of the tyrannical Regent Balisarius, they dispatch a young woman with a mysterious past to seek out warriors from neighbouring planets to help them take a stand.

MV5BYzlhNzBmYjUtNjRmZC00MDg3LWE4NDMtZDNjODUwNTljMzhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk4OTc3MTY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Rebel Moon – Part Two: The Scargiver

7/10

I watched this one soon after the first one.

The first hour immediately picks up after the events ending in the first film. The first hour spends time on the primary characters backstory and development.

The 2nd hour takes the film into full action with plenty of shoot ‘em ups, explosions and bodies flying around everywhere. Battle sequences have some similarities to Star Wars “Clone Wars”. There is a lot of Star Wars references in visuals in the 2nd hour. That corny robot from the first film comes thru in the 2nd hour like “Captain America”. I wasn’t expecting that.

The pace of the 2nd hour is engaging and will keep you glued to the screen. Netflix should have released the first film just before Thanksgiving and the 2nd film just before Christmas allowing folks to see them back to back. They probably would’ve gotten a better response.

Overall, the 2nd film played out well better than the first. They left it off for a Part 3 to make it a trilogy.
Synopsis

A colony on the edge of the galaxy fights for survival against a tyrannical ruling force, relying on the efforts of a small group of rebels.

MV5BYmQ2ODgyZjMtMmQyMy00ZWRhLTllOGUtZDI3MDkzNjFhZWQ2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMTg2ODkz._V1_.jpg

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Rebel Moon - Part One: A Child On Fire

6/10

This film came out last year on Netflix and got negative reviews by critics along with the Agenda Army having severe strokes watching it.

Right after it released, Zack Synder dropped that there is an Extended Cut for Part One and Part Two. The extra footage according to Synder makes the films more adult and adds a 1 hour run time to both films.

I was gonna hold out and wait for the extended cuts which according to Zack Synder, are supposed to be released sometime this summer. Netflix has not made any announcement on their release. I would not be surprised if they hold out until the Holidays or next year.

I decided to binge both films this afternoon at home and will watch the extended cut versions later in the future. It would allow me to have time to soak these in.

This is an original story created by Snyder and isn’t based on anything. The film progresses at a steady pace as it builds up to whatever happens in Part Two. Just like Snyder’s DCEU films, the film looks great visually with set designs and VFX/SFX that keep your eyes glued to the screen. The film has a dark look and feel which works well with what the story is about. The film some what has a “Dune” vibe to it.

Actors do a decent job in their roles. Good casting with a number of B-List and not well known actors.

The film is mainly focused on story development and character introduction/development. I suspect this is probably part of the reason it got a negative reaction with people going into it thinking it was gonna be overloaded with mind numbing, full blown non-stop action with minimal talking.

Other than that, not gonna get into the story being I’m probably the last person on the forum that has seen it.

Gonna take a break and start Part Two here in a bit.

Synopsis

When a colony on the edge of the galaxy finds itself threatened by the armies of the tyrannical Regent Balisarius, they dispatch a young woman with a mysterious past to seek out warriors from neighbouring planets to help them take a stand.

MV5BYzlhNzBmYjUtNjRmZC00MDg3LWE4NDMtZDNjODUwNTljMzhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODk4OTc3MTY@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

I still haven't watched either film. I may never. I don't care. :dunno:

joneblaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Poolman

I was amused an laughed a bit at some of the banter and how kooky and quirky some of the characters were in this movie about Darren a poolman who gets mixed up in city hall corruption. He reminds me of those skateboarders who show up at city council meetings to demand that their skateboard sites wont be replaced by a McDonald's. Some fun things are done stylishly blending clothing and cars from different time periods. The movie runs out of steam fast as things become sillier and characters become extremely obnoxious,and i could barely make sense of the script. It's trying to be The Big Lebowski, Bowfinger and a parody of bumbling detective films but never quite reaches those heights.The last 40 minutes were a chore for me to get through as I found myself not caring much. How first time Director Chris Pine was able to assemble so much talent for this is beyond me.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 3

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Damsel

5.5/10

I watched this one last night at home on Netflix.

It’s a predictable but entertaining film. Not really much to say besides the VFX/SFX looks good with the dragon. The Dragons flame looks better than what people are normally accustomed to, with it coming out more like lava than flames. The Dragons voice seems odd when it debuts, but makes sense as the film progresses.

The film is entertaining and will keep you watching, it proceeds at a good pace from start to finish.

They somewhat set it up for potential sequels.

Angela Bassett co-stars with her lame attempt with a British accent.

For the Militants, Angela Bassett is in an interracial marriage with a WM. Nothing is shown. The movie also takes place in a world that is multi-ethnic.

Synopsis

A young woman agrees to marry a handsome prince -- only to discover it was all a trap. She is thrown into a cave with a fire-breathing dragon and must rely solely on her wits and will to survive.

MV5BODRiMTA4NGMtOTQzZC00OWFjLWFmODctMjY2ZTcwYjI5NDMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDc5ODIzMw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Poolman

I was amused an laughed a bit at some of the banter and how kooky and quirky some of the characters were in this movie about Darren a poolman who gets mixed up in city hall corruption. He reminds me of those skateboarders who show up at city council meetings to demand that their skateboard sites wont be replaced by a McDonald's. Some fun things are done stylishly blending clothing and cars from different time periods. The movie runs out of steam fast as things become sillier and characters become extremely obnoxious,and i could barely make sense of the script. It's trying to be The Big Lebowski, Bowfinger and a parody of bumbling detective films but never quite reaches those heights.The last 40 minutes were a chore for me to get through as I found myself not caring much. How first time Director Chris Pine was able to assemble so much talent for this is beyond me.

Scale of 1 to 10 a 3

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I saw The Beekeeper on the plane when we flew to Panama. It was entertaining. I watch Upgrade on the way back. It was aight. Very predictable tho.

Its an interesting time.

I think Upgrade was REALLY clever and I believe critics liked it. The Beekeeper is just another action flick so personally I never expected much more so I knew exactly what I was getting.

But I wonder is it the TICKET PRICES that make some of these movies not attractive?

If the beekeeper could be seen in theater for $8 would it have done better?

Or some movies (like The Beekeeper) just BETTER streaming?

Everyone says they are so tired of re boots and existing IP turned into blockbusters

But Super Mario Barbie Wonka Dune even Garfield to a lesser extent prove otherwise

however Fall guy and Furiosa underperformed!

and there has been a A LOT of original IP like the 2 you JUST named and @blackbull1970 reviews

And they are either considered "mediocre" predictable or ignored.

So I am never sure what the audience wants besides GOOD entertainment

I really don't care if its original or existing as long as its good ( but what is the definition of good?)

Maybe my expectations are just lowered now?

As long as its DECENT? I'm good

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
Its an interesting time.

I think Upgrade was REALLY clever and I believe critics liked it. The Beekeeper is just another action flick so personally I never expected much more so I knew exactly what I was getting.

But I wonder is it the TICKET PRICES that make some of these movies not attractive?

If the beekeeper could be seen in theater for $8 would it have done better?

Or some movies (like The Beekeeper) just BETTER streaming?

Everyone says they are so tired of re boots and existing IP turned into blockbusters

But Super Mario Barbie Wonka Dune even Garfield to a lesser extent prove otherwise

however Fall guy and Furiosa underperformed!

and there has been a A LOT of original IP like the 2 you JUST named and @blackbull1970 reviews

And they are either considered "mediocre" predictable or ignored.

So I am never sure what the audience wants besides GOOD entertainment

I really don't care if its original or existing as long as its good ( but what is the definition of good?)

Maybe my expectations are just lowered now?

As long as its DECENT? I'm good
Oh, shit!!! I almost forgot I watched "One Love" too. How the fuck did I forget about that?! It was the second movie I watched on the plane!

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
yeah -- to me the movie lacked depth / soul
all of those artists / musicians - but nobody creating for most of the movie

"when ya get ta write that song?"
"all of my life"
:lol:
Man. That’s interesting. I’ve had so many questions around what people wanted from the movie. It’s weird how everyone who saw it in theaters seemed to really enjoy and folks who watched at home somehow or other did not lol. Idk if that has anything to do with the takeaway. But I hear you on a line like this coming off corny… I just think niggas (especially real niggas) in real life are fuckin corny from time to time OR often lol and there’s nothing AT ALL wrong with that. Especially if you a real nigga lol.

For clarity imo - Real niggas don’t try a fade a bitch who clowned your corny ass in HS when she catches you on the red carpet decades later and got a job to do lmao. Yes nigga. You still corny and always will be the wrong kinda corny. You and your I need any bitch I’m with to be a Coretta ass bum nigga Majors lol