MOVIES ~ Any of ya'll seen any good (or shitty) movies in recent weeks/months? Post reviews, feedback, movie news, trailers, recommendations, etc ...

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Godzilla Minus One

8.5/10

Netflix just out of nowhere debuted this film on June 3.

I got to watch it for the first time this afternoon at home.

The film is a throwback/reboot of the original Godzilla (1954) film.

What makes this film stand out is showing the evolution of Godzilla from his awakening after the 2 Atomic Bombs from on Japan, along with the bombs that were tested thru-out the Pacific post WW2.

This film shows Godzilla’s regenerative abilities which makes him near indestructible. It also shows how much destructive power Godzilla has. When Godzilla lands on Japanese soil and first uses his fire breath, it’s like a nuclear bomb going off.

The film does a good job mixing it up between Godzilla and the human reaction of him running around Fucking shit up. It also deals with the Japanese people dealing with the after effects of WW2 along with PTSD that the 1954 never touched on.

Netflix has the film in Japanese, but gives you the option to select English dubbed. The English dub is actually done well with lips moving with the English dub.

And yes, they left it off for a potential sequel.

I know I’m not the only who heard the Godzilla theme played and immediately thought of Pharoah Monch coming in and saying “Simon Says! Get Da Fuq Up”.

HaHa!!!

Synopsis

Japan has barely recovered from the Second World War when a gigantic peril emerges off the coast of Tokyo. Koichi, a deserter traumatised by his first confrontation with Godzilla, sees this as an opportunity to redeem his conduct during the war.

MV5BOTI5MjNjMTMtN2NiNC00YjBlLTgzMWQtMGRhZDZkYmY1NGU2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTgyNTA4MjM@._V1_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Madame Web

3.5/10

I watched this one this evening at home on Netflix.

I’m familiar with the Madame Web character from the 1980s, I’m not familiar with the current version in the comics which I suspect the Madame Web in this film is based around. So I went into it basically blind.

Not going to go into it being I’m probably the last person on the forum who has seen it.

The film is supposed to be an action/thriller and plays out far from it. Majority of the movie plays out like a Lifetime Movie Channel film. What action in it really isn’t impressive besides the last 15 minutes of the film.

I went into it expecting the main character to be running around in her superhero suit and the other 3 chicks doing the similar thing. None of that happens.

The women thru-out the film are not wearing sexy clothes to keep your eye glued to the screen. Sydney Sweeney co-stars and there is nothing showing off those full natural boobs of hers.

The main villain threw me off with him running around looking like Spiderman in that black suit.

A number of times thru the film I started daydreaming and had to rewind it back a few minutes.

The film ended looking like it’s gonna connect the main character to the 1980s version. The other 3 chicks I have no clue what they gonna do with them.

This film falls in the category of “Seen it once, no interest in seeing it again”.

Synopsis

Cassandra Webb is a New York City paramedic who starts to show signs of clairvoyance. Forced to confront revelations about her past, she must protect three young women from a mysterious adversary who wants them dead.

MV5BYWJkY2Q4NmYtOGRlMi00YTg5LWE2ZmQtY2NkYzk3YTRmNWZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY3ODkyNDkz._V1_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
The Book of Clarence

5.5/10

I watched this last night at home on Netflix.

It’s a comedy/drama with the comedy coming off as tongue in cheek, not LOL funny.

It takes place prior to Jesus crucifixion. And there are a lot references to what Jesus is doing during the time period this movie takes place.

The film is loaded with religious, cultural, political and societal messages with references related to what is going on today. It doesn’t come off as preachy except for one part when one of the supporting characters goes against the Roman Army in relation to today’s way on how police operate.

There is one good scene with Benedict Cumberbatch running around when he gets cleaned up which is very comical.

Overall, it’s an interesting film full of unique visuals and depicting the characters in a way you would not except or normally see in a film based around the time period.

Synopsis

A down-on-his-luck man struggles to find a better life for his family while fighting to free himself of debt. Captivated by the power and glory of the rising Messiah, he risks everything to carve his own path to a divine life, ultimately discovering that the redemptive power of belief may be his only way out.

MV5BMzk2NTI2NmYtNDBkOC00MzJiLTg1MDgtMTgyNjAwNDg5YjgwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODE5NzE3OTE@._V1_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Martin

4.5/10

I had watched an unknown George Romero zombie that I reviewed earlier in the thread. I decided to look up his filmography and discovered this a couple of months ago and watched it this morning at home on tubi.

This film followed Romero’s “The Crazies”. It’s a completely different film from what he normally puts out. It is a vampire film with a different twist.

It is full of weird visuals especially depicting the city of Pittsburgh. Romero makes Pittsburgh look like a ghetto dump.

Violence is graphic, but there isn’t much. The story is slow pace but does keep you somewhat interested.

For the Thirsty, there is full nudity of WW including bushy pussy.

For the Militants, there is a few scenes of young Black men harassing White Women.

Overall, it’s an odd film and different from what you would expect from Romero.

tubi has a clean unremastered copy.

Synopsis

Young Martin (John Amplas) is entirely convinced that he is an 84-year-old blood-sucking vampire. Without fangs or mystical powers, Martin injects women with sedatives and drinks their blood through wounds inflicted with razor blades. After moving to Braddock, Penn., to live with his superstitious uncle (Lincoln Maazel), who also believes Martin is a vampire, Martin tries to prey exclusively on criminals and thugs but stumbles when he falls for a housewife (Sara Venable).

MV5BNGE5ZGQ4MTUtYjFkMC00YzJkLWExODItOGIzYzMxZWFkN2Y3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn

5/10

I watched this one this afternoon on tubi.

This originally was a web series with 15 minute episodes and they later put all the episodes together and made it into a film.

I believe this is connected to a particular video game in the series. I have never played the games, so I went into it blind.

The movie mainly focuses on a bunch of cadets in training for the UNSC.

The first 50 minutes is all them getting into character introduction/development. That part is slow but it picks up immediately after that with action.

MasterChief debuts just after the one hour mark to lead the action with the cadets.

Not much for VFX/SFX, VFX/SFX are mainly shown in the first opening minutes and at the end.

The Covenant bad guys are rarely shown, they use a cloaking device majority of the time.

Two Spartans are shown at the end and they remove their helmets. Masterchief keeps his on.

There is an extended BTS after credit scene focused on bloopers.

Synopsis

UNSC Cadet Thomas Lasky (Tom Green) has to conquer his inner fears when he joins forces with supersoldier John-117 (Daniel Cudmore) to take down a faction of the Covenant.

MV5BMTQ3NDA3MjEyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzY4NjU1OQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I haven't listened to it yet, but it's a podcast recommendation from one of the hosts on Slash Film Daily ...

Welcome to 50 MPH, a behind-the-scenes podcast that charts the development, production and legacy of director Jan de Bont’s Oscar-winning 1994 summer blockbuster Speed, starring Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock, Dennis Hopper and Jeff Daniels. Featuring more than 120 new interviews with actors, executives, filmmakers, film scholars and film fans, this one-of-a-kind exploration painstakingly unravels the making of an action movie classic — one mile at a time.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Crack in the World

5/10

The last time I had watched this flick was back in the 80s on network TV. I watched it this evening at home on tubi.

It’s a classic 50s Sci-Fi film based around scientists Fucking around doing shit they ain’t got no business, even after getting warnings of a worst case scenario.

The pace of the film runs good. VFX/SFX look ok for the era this film came out.

The only thing about the film was it didn’t show what the Earth was like after the seperstion.

Synopsis

A dying scientist and his team drill for magma, causing a crack to form in the Earth's surface and threatening to split the planet in two.

MV5BMTY1Njk2MTEzN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTU0MzQ2Mw@@._V1_.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
The Artifice Girl

5.5/10

I watched this one last night before going to bed at home on tubi.

It’s a Sci-Fi thriller that came up in my recommendations, the preview clip caught my interest.

The film revolves around artificial intelligence. The first 20 minutes, the film goes in one direction and you might lose interest, but quickly goes into a different direction that will completely suck you in.

From the 20 minute mark you will be fully engaged into the film, unfortunately around the 50 minute mark, the film basically stops the momentum and for whatever reason stays at that point until the end of the film. The movie had the potential to take it too another level, but for whatever reason decided to follow the philosophical theme which drags the film down.

Overall, it’s an interesting film giving a different perspective on A.I. What happens with A.I. is possible within a few years at the speed it is moving.

Synopsis

Special agents discover a revolutionary computer program that uses a digital child to catch online predators. However, they soon learn that the AI's inevitable advancement is far more rapid and incalculable than they ever could have imagined, posing unforeseen challenges and unsettling consequences for the future of technology and mankind.

MV5BYzE1MWRkODQtNzdjZC00ODEyLWJkNDMtYzFiZjljNDIwNzRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQwMTY2Nzk@._V1_.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Looking forward to this one.

I've liked Jennifer Esposito's acting work over the years, and want to see her directorial debut ...

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Love it! Glad to see Silo coming back...

Apple TV looking like they trying to become the GOAT

The key is definitely building up the library.

I was talking to a friend of mine and he asked me if he should get the promo for the CRAVE bundle here in Canada. Crave basically gives you all the Showtime, HBO, and Max content. I have a light version which gives you all their archives, and a slight delay for the newer stuff getting added (i.e. - the next morning or afternoon). I said to him - "yeah ... just off their libraries alone you can go back and check out full series of stuff you missed 10 - 20 years ago, as well as new stuff. Just add a bunch of stuff to your queue."

He's been doing that with some newer stuff, as well as classic series.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Thanks bro!

Those look good

DC - Shantaram has a good assortment of characters. Lots of stuff happening. Know a few people who enjoyed the book too, and I'm tempted to give it a read or check out the audiobook one day. It's quite the commitment though at 900+ pages!

As for Black Bird ... great performance from Paul Walter Hauser as the co-lead. Really creepy. On a darkly comedic note - my mom would use his sing songy voice for the better part of a year afterward. "Why are you asking so many questions?!" and shit like that ... very funny as it was like an inside joke after having watched the show too.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Leaves of Grass

4.5/10

For those that don’t know, I’m currently going thru the filmography of my future ex-wife Melanie Lynskey.

I have reviewed a number of her films earlier in this thread.

I watched this film this morning at home on FreeVee.

It’s a crime/comedy film starring Edward Norton who does a double role playing twins. Melanie made this film when she was still slim and tight while doing “Two and a Half Men”. She is preggo in this film and has limited scenes playing a country bimbo.

The comedy is not LOL funny, but humorous at times.

Not really much to say. It’s mainly an entertaining film to watch too kill time, when you ain’t got shit else to watch.

Synopsis

An Ivy League professor (Edward Norton) returns home, where his pot-growing twin brother has concocted a plan to take down a local drug lord.

MV5BMjI1MzE2ODI1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDkwNzAyMw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend