NBA Offseason 2016 - FreeAgency money dried up...Waiters gets $2.6 after OKC pulled $6+ offer...

John Million

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Maybe their being cautious with him. One of the bigs gotta go if Y'all draft Simmons

Nah, my 76er breakdown

Embid - don't know about his health and even if he does play next yr, i'm sure his minutes will be restricted
Oak - gotta keep him, best player on the team
Noel - keep him as the energy guy off the bench, hope he develops some offense
Saric - not sure if he comes over this yr, not sure if he's a nba player yet

draft Simmons, get shooters and guards. Stop tanking. Sign a point guard in free agency. Add some vets to help the young guys

Get all these guys on the team and playing together. Then make a trade later if you have to. There still are 2 question marks (embid, saric) out of the 5.

C - Oakfor, Noel, Embid
PF - Simmons, Saric
SF - Covington, Grant
SG - ?
PG - Smith, Canaan

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Nah, my 76er breakdown

Embid - don't know about his health and even if he does play next yr, i'm sure his minutes will be restricted

draft Simmons, get shooters and guards. Stop tanking. Sign a point guard in free agency. Add some vets to help the young guys

Get all these guys on the team and playing together. Then make a trade later if you have to. There still are 2 question marks (embid, saric) out of the 5.

C - Oakfor, Noel, Embid
PF - Simmons, Saric
SF - Covington, Grant
SG - Nik Stauskas
PG - Smith, Canaan

Fixed

D-TOWN REP

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Pacers getting another gem/ steal in the draft regardless. Solomon Hill is likely gone. Pacers didn't exercise his option. His defense was key once he got some good minutes, thanks Vogel.

Hill could be in line for a nice lil check

Long wing defenders who can knock down the open shot are in demand

And yeah just stand pat at your pick and wait for teams to reach

Somebody is always there teams just have to know how to draft

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Rondo? Lin? Hornacek stunner lets Knicks fantasize about PGs
By Marc Berman

May 20, 2016 | 8:13pm

rr1.jpg

Rajon Rondo and Jeff HornacekPhoto: AP; Getty Images
Rajon Rondo can look at the Knicks again as a sexy destination. Perhaps Mike Conley and other elite point guards can, too.

Adding to the intrigue of Jeff Hornacek’s imminent hiring is the prospect it will help the Knicks in free agency. Traditional point guards may be in vogue again for the Knicks when the market opens July 1 now that former Suns speedballer Hornacek is close to being named head coach.

Knicks president Phil Jackson’s beloved triangle offense could be dead and buried, multiple sources told The Post, but the Zen Master must first make that eulogy at an introductory press conference that likely will take place Monday or Tuesday.

Jackson’s friends are stunned by the triangle’s potential demise after he fervently defended the system for two-plus years since being hired. Jackson won all 11 of his coaching titles with the triangle, but critics claim it’s outdated.

“I hope he’s not required to run the triangle,’’ a Hornacek friend said. “That’s not what he does.’’

Hornacek was a point-guard fiend in Phoenix with a roster of three top-notch playmakers in Eric Bledsoe, Goran Dragic and Isaiah Thomas. High pick-and-rolls, 3-point shots and an uptempo pace became Hornacek’s modus operandi. The Suns were eighth and 11th, respectively, in offensive rating (points per 100 possessions) in his only two full seasons.

“Point guard becomes more important in a traditional offensive system versus the triangle,’’ one league executive said. “Frankly, though, they need upgrades all over the board, [but] especially the 2-guard position.’’

Still, Hornacek could be a free-agent magnet for point guards. A source told The Post that Hornacek got along terrifically with Dragic.

Hornacek and Dragic in 2015.Photo: AP
Former Knicks point guard Chauncey Billups told The Post recently the triangle is a free-agent turn-off.

“If I’m a top point guard and a free agent, I’m not going to want to be playing in that triangle,’’ Billups said. “A point guard needs more pick-and-roll, more freedom. It’s going to be restrictive to my play.’’

In March, Jackson said the club may refrain from spending on point-guard free agents because his system requires a balanced two-guard front. Jackson talked about needing a penetrator, indicating that just as well could be a shooting guard.

“Chasing a point guard, where it becomes just an obsession, isn’t necessary,’’ Jackson said. “We can play the game without that.”

Other than aging Jose Calderon, expected to return as a backup if he even remains on the roster, the Knicks have two young point guards who have question marks. Jerian Grant had a mediocre rookie season, but finished strongly as a starter. And rehabbing former 76er Tony Wroten has yet to play a game as a Knick as he attempts a comeback from ACL knee surgery.

Calderon actually could be more useful as a pick-and-roll guy if Hornacek, the former Jazz standout, goes heavy into John Stockton/Karl Malone mode.

But clearly the Knicks need backcourt help, especially if starting shooting guard Arron Afflalo opts out. It appeared a shoo-in Afflalo was a goner after having a falling-out with interim coach Kurt Rambis, who demoted him.

Afflalo could rethink matters in a different system under Hornacek.

Jeremy LinPhoto: Anthony J. Causi
If Afflalo and Derrick Williams opt out, the Knicks would have $30 million in cap space. After Rondo and Conley, the remaining notable free-agent point guards include the quick Brandon Jennings, Ty Lawson and someone named Jeremy Lin, who thrived in Mike D’Antoni’s system, which is not dissimilar from Hornacek’s style.

On the lower end of the scale are solid backups Tyler Johnson (Miami) and Matthew Dellavedova (Cleveland), whom Knicks personnel man Mark Warkentien loved in the 2013 draft. Both are restricted free agents.

Rondo might be a better value than Conley, who is coming off a mysterious Achilles injury and seeking a max deal despite no All-Star Game appearances with the Grizzlies. Sacramento can only pay Rondo $11 million per year unless it dips into cap space. Reports have the Kings refusing to give Rondo a whopping pact.

Carmelo Anthony, Rondo’s former teammate at Oak Hill Academy, said in March the Knicks are a “perfect opportunity’’ for Rondo, even in the triangle. Rondo had said he didn’t see himself fitting. Jackson’s stunning coaching hire could change all that.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Philadelphia 76ers will work out multiple top prospects
NBA
Others to join Brandon Ingram and Ben Simmons for Sixers’ consideration

The Philadelphia 76ers plan to work out several top prospects in preparation to pick first in the 2016 NBA draft, expanding its options beyond the two players everyone is talking about.

Ex-Duke forward Brandon Ingram and ex-Louisiana State forward Ben Simmons are widely projected to be the top two picks in this year’s draft. So much so that many would consider it cavalier for new Sixers president and general manager Bryan Colangelo to select another prospect. Even so, several sources told The Undefeated that Philadelphia expects to also work out ex-California forward Jaylen Brown, ex-Providence point guard Kris Dunn and ex-Kentucky combo guard Jamal Murray. The Sixers are also considering offering workout invitations to ex-Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield and Israel Maccabi Tel Aviv forward Dragan Bender, too.

The Sixers have yet to schedule any workouts with any of the aforementioned NBA prospects. Philadelphia has the top pick as well as the 24th and 26th selections in the first round, but no second-round picks. The NBA draft will be held June 23 in Brooklyn, N.Y.

When asked if he’s bothered by his name not being mentioned with Ingram and Simmons in No. 1 pick talk, Brown told The Undefeated: “No. Do I think my name should be mentioned? Yes. But it’s OK. The media has their darlings and that is perfectly fine. I’m just here to prove that I’m in the conversation with those two, if not better.”

Brown averaged 14.6 points and 5.4 rebounds as a true freshman for Cal last season and was named the 2016 Pac-12 Conference freshman of the year. He said he would like to work out against Ingram and Simmons, but posed a question.

“Do they want to work out [against] me?” Brown asked. “I think that’s the question.”

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Bradley Beal reiterates that he will seek a max contract this summer
imrs.php
Bradley Beal with fans at Yogogi Park in Tokyo last week. (Courtesy of NBA)
Talk to a Washington Wizards executive about the franchise’s future and Bradley Beal is included as a foundational piece alongside John Wall in the back court. The assumption is Beal and Wall will have at least a few more years to grow together and help propel the Wizards to heights not reached since the Carter administration.

Yet Beal’s inclusion is not a foregone conclusion. Beal is a restricted free agent this summer, meaning the NBA’s 29 other teams can offer him a contract once free agency starts on July 1 and the Wizards would have 72 hours to match. Beal reiterated he wants to stay in Washington in a telephone interview from Tokyo last week, but at the right price. That price is a maximum contract.

“I want to be valued the right way,” Beal, 22, said from Japan, where he visited as part of a promotional tour for the NBA and attended a playoff viewing party with fans. “I feel like I’m a max player and that’s what I’m looking for. If Washington can’t meet that requirement then I may be thinking elsewhere. I’m pretty sure that they probably won’t [let me go]. At the end of the day, that’s where I want to be. I think a deal will probably get done but you just never know.”

The exact amount for a maximum contract for Beal will depend on the league’s salary cap next season. Initial projections pegged the figure at $90 million – a $20 million jump from last season — but league executives have been using $92 million as the number and it could increase even further. As a four-year veteran, Beal could earn up to 25 percent of the cap. If the cap is $92 million then a max deal would pay him $23 million next season.

The Wizards have two factors going in their favor: They’re the only team that can sign Beal to a five-year deal (other teams can only go up to four years) and they can exceed the salary cap to retain him because they own his Bird Rights, which allow teams to go over the cap to re-sign their own free agents, provided they have been with the club for at least three years.

Washington offered the 6-4 Beal a contract extension before the NBA’s Nov. 2 deadline for fourth-year players, but it wasn’t the max so Beal declined it and the two sides agreed to wait until the summer. The Wizards’ decision to not give Beal a max extension in October was strategic: By waiting until July, Beal’s cap hold is just over $14 million, as opposed to over $20 million had he been given the max extension. The difference will give Washington more wiggle room in their attempt to lure a top-tier free agent or trade for a high-priced star and fill the remainder of the roster. It is the same strategy the San Antonio Spurs chose with Kawhi Leonard a year ago and the Detroit Pistons are using now with Andre Drummond.

But Beal’s injury-plagued season complicates matters. He played a career-low 55 games and was hindered by another stress injury to his right fibula, his fourth in four professional campaigns.

“I hear about it all time, but that doesn’t define me as a player,” Beal said. “That won’t stop me from growing as a player and it won’t stop me from being who I am. The injury thing, that’s behind me. I’m moving forward. I’m past it. I’m focused on my career from here on out. Hell, Steph Curry was hurt his first four years. Look at him now. John [Wall] was hurt his first three or four years. Look at him now. I’m not worried about it. People are going to say what they want to say. At the end of the day, it’s not going to affect me or the money.”

The injury history could be a concern for teams, perhaps enough to prevent them from making him one of the highest-paid players in the sport. But Beal’s talent and potential – he turns 23 in June and has averaged 21.2 points in 21 career playoff games – makes the possibility of him garnering a max contract very likely in an unprecedented market.

Sports Daily newsletter

Sports news with a focus on D.C. area teams.

If Beal does return to the Wizards, he’ll have a new coach in Scott Brooks, who replaced Randy Wittman. Despite Beal’s contract status, the two met for lunch in Los Angeles recently.

“It was a good move. In some ways he’s similar to Witt,” said Beal, who was not consulted during the coaching search. “He allows his players a lot of freedom on the offensive end but he’s a defensive-minded coach. I got to pick his mind a bit and he’s great. I got a great feel for him. He’s really a player’s coach. He loves to be hands-on. He loves to develop guys and get his guys better.

“On top of that, he’s a proven coach. He’s shown that he can win and he’s shown that he can get his players to the finals. That’s exciting. It’s great to be in a situation to have a coach with that experience. He’s been there before. We’ve been in the playoffs, too. So put those two together and hopefully we make something work.”

Beal said he’ll begin his offseason workout regimen at the beginning of June and it will include more weight lifting than in previous summers. From there, his future isn’t as clear but he prefers a return to Washington.

“I want to be” in Washington,” Beal said. “I do. It just comes down to July 1st. I want to think about it a little bit, but this has been home for me. It’s great to have our core back and a new coach. So things are changing. It’s just up to me and the front office to get it done.”

Mack1052

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
We getting Lin and DeRozen

Lopez
Porzingis
Anthony
DeRozen
Lin

I think Derozan considers staying put. Especially if they win another game in this series or play Cleveland tight for the remainder of the series.

Lin probably stays in Charlotte to. Y'all should develop Grant. I think he can be a good guard in this league

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
Bradley Beal reiterates that he will seek a max contract this summer
imrs.php
Bradley Beal with fans at Yogogi Park in Tokyo last week. (Courtesy of NBA)
Talk to a Washington Wizards executive about the franchise’s future and Bradley Beal is included as a foundational piece alongside John Wall in the back court. The assumption is Beal and Wall will have at least a few more years to grow together and help propel the Wizards to heights not reached since the Carter administration.

Yet Beal’s inclusion is not a foregone conclusion. Beal is a restricted free agent this summer, meaning the NBA’s 29 other teams can offer him a contract once free agency starts on July 1 and the Wizards would have 72 hours to match. Beal reiterated he wants to stay in Washington in a telephone interview from Tokyo last week, but at the right price. That price is a maximum contract.

“I want to be valued the right way,” Beal, 22, said from Japan, where he visited as part of a promotional tour for the NBA and attended a playoff viewing party with fans. “I feel like I’m a max player and that’s what I’m looking for. If Washington can’t meet that requirement then I may be thinking elsewhere. I’m pretty sure that they probably won’t [let me go]. At the end of the day, that’s where I want to be. I think a deal will probably get done but you just never know.”

The exact amount for a maximum contract for Beal will depend on the league’s salary cap next season. Initial projections pegged the figure at $90 million – a $20 million jump from last season — but league executives have been using $92 million as the number and it could increase even further. As a four-year veteran, Beal could earn up to 25 percent of the cap. If the cap is $92 million then a max deal would pay him $23 million next season.

The Wizards have two factors going in their favor: They’re the only team that can sign Beal to a five-year deal (other teams can only go up to four years) and they can exceed the salary cap to retain him because they own his Bird Rights, which allow teams to go over the cap to re-sign their own free agents, provided they have been with the club for at least three years.

Washington offered the 6-4 Beal a contract extension before the NBA’s Nov. 2 deadline for fourth-year players, but it wasn’t the max so Beal declined it and the two sides agreed to wait until the summer. The Wizards’ decision to not give Beal a max extension in October was strategic: By waiting until July, Beal’s cap hold is just over $14 million, as opposed to over $20 million had he been given the max extension. The difference will give Washington more wiggle room in their attempt to lure a top-tier free agent or trade for a high-priced star and fill the remainder of the roster. It is the same strategy the San Antonio Spurs chose with Kawhi Leonard a year ago and the Detroit Pistons are using now with Andre Drummond.

But Beal’s injury-plagued season complicates matters. He played a career-low 55 games and was hindered by another stress injury to his right fibula, his fourth in four professional campaigns.

“I hear about it all time, but that doesn’t define me as a player,” Beal said. “That won’t stop me from growing as a player and it won’t stop me from being who I am. The injury thing, that’s behind me. I’m moving forward. I’m past it. I’m focused on my career from here on out. Hell, Steph Curry was hurt his first four years. Look at him now. John [Wall] was hurt his first three or four years. Look at him now. I’m not worried about it. People are going to say what they want to say. At the end of the day, it’s not going to affect me or the money.”

The injury history could be a concern for teams, perhaps enough to prevent them from making him one of the highest-paid players in the sport. But Beal’s talent and potential – he turns 23 in June and has averaged 21.2 points in 21 career playoff games – makes the possibility of him garnering a max contract very likely in an unprecedented market.

Sports Daily newsletter

Sports news with a focus on D.C. area teams.

If Beal does return to the Wizards, he’ll have a new coach in Scott Brooks, who replaced Randy Wittman. Despite Beal’s contract status, the two met for lunch in Los Angeles recently.

“It was a good move. In some ways he’s similar to Witt,” said Beal, who was not consulted during the coaching search. “He allows his players a lot of freedom on the offensive end but he’s a defensive-minded coach. I got to pick his mind a bit and he’s great. I got a great feel for him. He’s really a player’s coach. He loves to be hands-on. He loves to develop guys and get his guys better.

“On top of that, he’s a proven coach. He’s shown that he can win and he’s shown that he can get his players to the finals. That’s exciting. It’s great to be in a situation to have a coach with that experience. He’s been there before. We’ve been in the playoffs, too. So put those two together and hopefully we make something work.”

Beal said he’ll begin his offseason workout regimen at the beginning of June and it will include more weight lifting than in previous summers. From there, his future isn’t as clear but he prefers a return to Washington.

“I want to be” in Washington,” Beal said. “I do. It just comes down to July 1st. I want to think about it a little bit, but this has been home for me. It’s great to have our core back and a new coach. So things are changing. It’s just up to me and the front office to get it done.”
:roflmao:

ak_rep

Rising Star
Registered
2015-16 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM

Player (Team), 1st Team Votes, 2nd Team Votes, Total

Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio), 130, --, 260
Draymond Green (Golden State), 123, 5, 251
DeAndre Jordan (L.A. Clippers), 47, 43, 137
Avery Bradley (Boston), 62, 25, 149
Chris Paul (L.A. Clippers), 59, 30, 148

2015-16 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE SECOND TEAM

Paul Millsap (Atlanta), 11, 75, 97
Paul George (Indiana), 5 , 38, 48:cool:
Hassan Whiteside (Miami), 44, 38, 126
Tony Allen (Memphis), 44, 33, 121
Jimmy Butler (Chicago), 18, 26, 62

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Nah, my 76er breakdown

C - Oakfor, Noel, Embid
PF - Simmons, Saric
SF - Covington, Grant
SG - ?
PG - Smith, Canaan
Boston wants Okafor. Deal him for the 3rd pick if they feal Embiid is ready. Take Kris Dunn or Jamal Murray. Both can play the point. Murray is a better scorer and Dunn is a better passer, defender. Or, you can deal Okafor to the Lakers for the 2nd pick AND give L.A. back the top three protected pick for next year for the second pick and grab Ingram with the second pick after taking Simmons first. It's really a win-win situation.

djWhJE.jpg

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
2015-16 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM

Kawhi Leonard (San Antonio), 130, --, 260
Draymond Green (Golden State), 123, 5, 251
DeAndre Jordan (L.A. Clippers), 47, 43, 137
Avery Bradley (Boston), 62, 25, 149
Chris Paul (L.A. Clippers), 59, 30, 148

2015-16 NBA ALL-DEFENSIVE SECOND TEAM

Paul Millsap (Atlanta), 11, 75, 97
Paul George (Indiana), 5 , 38, 48:cool:
Hassan Whiteside (Miami), 44, 38, 126
Tony Allen (Memphis), 44, 33, 121
Jimmy Butler (Chicago), 18, 26, 62

I won't say shit about this and certain names I don't see on it, because if I do I'll be called a hater... :rolleyes:

ak_rep

Rising Star
Registered
I won't say shit about this and certain names I don't see on it, because if I do I'll be called a hater... :rolleyes:

I told y'all somebody wouldn't be on there. But it's all good. That was a putter. I ain't trippin.' He got the ultimate award, and got enough on his plate right now.:cool:

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Rising Star
Registered
Boston wants Okafor. Deal him for the 3rd pick if they feal Embiid is ready. Take Kris Dunn or Jamal Murray. Both can play the point. Murray is a better scorer and Dunn is a better passer, defender. Or, you can deal Okafor to the Lakers for the 2nd pick AND give L.A. back the top three protected pick for next year for the second pick and grab Ingram with the second pick after taking Simmons first. It's really a win-win situation.

djWhJE.jpg

Dude... Reliable source says they are in talks with LA... Oakfor and their pick back next year for #2... What you think Bruh?

Philli

Rising Star
Registered
Dude... Reliable source says they are in talks with LA... Oakfor and their pick back next year for #2... What you think Bruh?

What reliable source? The Lakers didn't want Okafor last year and they sure do not want him this year with a chance to grab Ingram or Simmons or possibly trade the pick for someone like Paul George. An Okafor and Randle front court would be horrendous.

ak_rep

Rising Star
Registered
What reliable source? The Lakers didn't want Okafor last year and they sure do not want him this year with a chance to grab Ingram or Simmons or possibly trade the pick for someone like Paul George. An Okafor and Randle front court would be horrendous.

Wait a minute. How is Paul George all of sudden expendable? For a Simmons who can't hit a jumper yet? No.

Philli

Rising Star
Registered
Wait a minute. How is Paul George all of sudden expendable? For a Simmons who can't hit a jumper yet? No.

Just more rumors circulating that will not likely happen. There is definitely no way that the Lakers, who passed on Okafor last year, would want him this year for the #2 pick in this years draft. Ingram is a much better fit for their roster and Simmons has a much higher ceiling than both Ingram and Okafor.

ak_rep

Rising Star
Registered
Just more rumors circulating that will not likely happen. There is definitely no way that the Lakers, who passed on Okafor last year, would want him this year for the #2 pick in this years draft. Ingram is a much better fit for their roster and Simmons has a much higher ceiling than both Ingram and Okafor.

The Lakers are in a tough spot and have some decisions to make but they don't have much leverage. I think they'd take Okafor for that pick if offered. But we'll see.

But if I'm Philly, I'd just take 3 from Boston. Scoop Ingram (one) and Dunn (three) for Oak and possibly another pick. PG is outta the question for a young, non-established player though. Not going to happen.

Mack1052

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nah, my 76er breakdown

C - Oakfor, Noel, Embid
PF - Simmons, Saric
SF - Covington, Grant
SG - ?
PG - Smith, Canaan

Good points.. Mite as whale keep on your talent, especially on those rookie contracts unless a trade is offered that you can't refuse

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Yeah but they want their pick back. It's top three protected next year and that draft is supposed to be really deep. It's more than just getting Okafor. If they make the trade they may try to move Randle.

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
I'm not high on Simmons. Philly should draft Ingram
neither are game changers. philly and lakers will both suck next year if they don't get big time free agents. if simmons gets a jump shot, he can be a routine all star but he's not a lebron and doesn't have the drive.
ingram is a good second or third option. a lot of role players in the first with a few sprinkled starters that will be average. second round is projects.