Nearly a million people in Houston without power due to storm

YoungSinister

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When I had my EV charger installed in my garage, they also ran 240V wiring back to a Generac neutral switching transfer switch that is wired to my main 200 amp breaker panel for the whole house. When an outage happens, I can plug my truck up to the switch, and the whole house runs from my electric F-150. I've run the house in an outage that only lasted for just over 5 hours and that 5 hours took my battery from 72 percent, to 71. I've been waiting for an outage that lasts longer, just to see how efficient this system works. We love it though.

20240517-114707.jpg

20240517-114721.jpg

20240517-114747.jpg

20240517-114802.jpg

20240517-115023.jpg

20240517-115256.jpg

20240517-115612.jpg

20240517-125529.jpg
My brotha….good looking out!!!!

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
When I had my EV charger installed in my garage, they also ran 240V wiring back to a Generac neutral switching transfer switch that is wired to my main 200 amp breaker panel for the whole house. When an outage happens, I can plug my truck up to the switch, and the whole house runs from my electric F-150. I've run the house in an outage that only lasted for just over 5 hours and that 5 hours took my battery from 72 percent, to 71. I've been waiting for an outage that lasts longer, just to see how efficient this system works. We love it though.

20240517-114707.jpg

20240517-114721.jpg

20240517-114747.jpg

20240517-114802.jpg

20240517-115023.jpg

20240517-115256.jpg

20240517-115612.jpg

20240517-125529.jpg
And this is as bad as this technology will ever be, imagine in 10-15 years? But no, let's bring back rickshaws! nothing beats human powered vehicles!!!

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
NWS confirmed that the storm system was a derecho.

wiki
"A derecho is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line wind storm that is associated with a fast-moving group of severe thunderstorms known as a mesoscale convective system. Derechos can cause hurricane-force winds, heavy rains, and flash floods."

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah seems like it hit the downtown area and the northside....My homie in Houston lives about 20 minutes south of Houston and had zero damages. Didn't lose power either.

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
Man FINALLY checking in...

I don't know wtf was going on with bgol but I couldn't post shit. The whole message box was gone and the POST REPLY button was all that was there.

Anyway me n the fam are good, haven't had power since 7pm Thursday evening. We live in The Heights, so it's a thousand fuckin trees and it's like every one of them came tumbling down. I mean some of these trees were HUGE. I saw one where the trunk was well over 2 feet wide. I'll post a few pictures in a minute, I'm about to head up to my job and check on the building.

spider705

Light skin, non ADOS Lebron hater!
BGOL Investor
This was one tree in my neighborhood... you can see the roots that were pulled up due to the wind are like 4ft - 5ft tall...

I lost count but there's at least a dozen trees that size or bigger that have all been knocked over.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
I haven't seen the numbers move since last night of how many are still out in Harris.
Either they aren't doing anything today or not updating the website but even Centerpoint site seems like no new activity. Shows stuck at 520k

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor
NWS confirmed that the storm system was a derecho.

wiki
"A derecho is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line wind storm that is associated with a fast-moving group of severe thunderstorms known as a mesoscale convective system. Derechos can cause hurricane-force winds, heavy rains, and flash floods."
Basically, this was a severe windstorm with the equivalent of a tornado EF one or EF two

meilmarc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I haven't seen the numbers move since last night of how many are still out in Harris.
Either they aren't doing anything today or not updating the website but even Centerpoint site seems like no new activity. Shows stuck at 520k

Bad thing about it, is that its hot and humid as fuck today and the temps are slowly going up next week.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor
That shit, blew out windows and blew over big ass trees, so I am not surprised by this. Oh, and hurricane season starts in two weeks.
Of the major storms I've been through, Ike and Harvey, never seen the large power lines go down, many have said it online. Some have gone down but not this many that i know of, which is why power to be restored may take time.

Mixd

Duppy Maker
BGOL Investor

Numbers just dropped to 430k

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
Man we were ok

We hit up Texas Roadhouse down 45 it’s my favorite one

The drive back was like any other rain storm I drove in

We got home and took a nap, house was icy, we never lost power

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
A tree fell on my bros mini van

But that’s what he get for lettin his gal get that shit

He lives next to her moms house, lol

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
Not a chance in hell. Solar and electric are too "woke" for Texas.
Exactly. These fuckers were blaming solar for our 1880's style power grid. Backwards cacs are the worst. I swear we won't have solar until they can do some Mr. Burns shit and steal sunlight from us.

Big Tex

Earth is round..gravity is real
BGOL Investor
Man we were ok

We hit up Texas Roadhouse down 45 it’s my favorite one

The drive back was like any other rain storm I drove in

We got home and took a nap, house was icy, we never lost power
45 north or south? This will affect how I think of you.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
My sis said the power company is estimating she'll be out until Wednesday.