New TV: Abbott Elementary - Very Funny Black version of The Office starring Quinta Brunson UPDATE: CROSSOVER EVENT!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

^^^^
Thanks for this bro

I got like 3 writing threads on this concerning agents submitting work copyrights etc

Even on here I seen some really eyebrow raising cases where it LOOKED like some theft by lurking

I don't even proofread and review dudes work like that anymore unless you family

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Quinta Brunson, ABC hit with Abbott Elementary copyright suit
A writer has accused the Emmy-nominated hit of lifting a concept and characters from her 2018 script.
By
William Hughes

Quinta BrunsonPhoto: Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images for TIME

Fresh off scoring six nominations for this year’s Emmy Awards, Quinta Brunson’s charming and funny ABC sitcom Abbott Elementary has now been hit with recognition of a different (and, presumably, less welcome) sort: A copyright infringement lawsuit from a writer who claims that the premise for the series was stolen from her own work.

This is per Radar Online, which reports that writer and performer Christine Davis has sued both Brunson and ABC, claiming that Abbott was copied from a script she wrote in 2018 entitled Our School Year, also about an under-funded public school that invites in a documentary crew to film its various woes, and an optimistic teacher trying to push for reform.

Davis says she showed her script (which she filed a copyright for in early 2020) to producers Cherisse Parks and Shavon Sullivan Wright—neither of whom, we should be clear, appear to have any connection to Abbott Elementary—who told her that they, in turn, showed the script to Hulu (which, like ABC, is mostly owned by Disney). A few months later, ABC began filming on Abbott, with Brunson as both star and series creator.
Davis alleges that the show’s mockumentary style, and several of its characters, bear similarities to her script—although we can’t help but point out, with no disrespect to anyone involved in the suit, that the basic premise isn’t really what makes Abbott Elementary work so well; it’s the execution, the performances, and the tone that have helped establish it as one of the best new comedies of the year. (Also, Janelle James being very mean to people.)

Neither Brunson, nor ABC, have so far issued any comment about the suit. Davis is apparently demanding that “Brunson and ABC turn over all profits they made from the show”; she’ll presumably want some of those Emmy statues when they inevitably turn up in a couple of months, too.

benny_negro

Rising Star
Platinum Member
she’ll presumably want some of those Emmy statues when they inevitably turn up in a couple of months, too.

lmfao. Exactly. Thank you for clowning. Fuck out of here with your niggas stole my ideas lawsuits.
I thought of Blurred Lines or dumb ass Vanilla Ice. Nigga. Marvin. Queen. They MADE SOME SHIT! Hit! Epic shit!

then. Yo ass — Pharrell etc whoever else — after having heard that epic shit no doubt hundreds of times was fuckin around in the studio (benefit of the doubt) and all of a sudden subconsciously played that same shit and was like oh shit trip this shit is firreeeee!!!

track mastered and a video with naked bitches later… here come the righteous lawsuits for ROYALTIES!!!! not a got damn stickup lmfao. Gimme everything got damn thing you ever made off a show YOU not ME - YOU put the actual work into making a fuckin incredible sensation like almost nothing hits. Maybe biggest network hit since Big Bang?!

But again. Samples uncleared etc - Robin etc ALSO MADE SOME SHIT. HIT SHIT. EPIC SHIT. lol. Ideas do not amount to a damn thing being MADE

fuck. Out. Uh here

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
Seems like whenever there is a new successful show or movie someone jumps out the woodwork to sue looking for a pay day

the ppl she dealt with have no connection to Abbot other than working for the same multi media company

I think it’s more than likely that more than 1 person can have the same or similar idea

there have been mockumentries before and workplace comedies set in school

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Abbott Elementary promises 'Friends-type' bottle episodes in season 2

Plus, cameos, home visits, and more season 2 surprises.
By Maureen Lee LenkerJuly 21, 2022 at 07:53 PM EDT

Are you ready to go back to school?
Abbott Elementary has their pencils sharpened and their chalkboards prepped to welcome you back on Sept. 21, but first the cast and creative team stopped by Comic-Con (virtually) to tease what's ahead in their second season (including more episodes than season 1's 13!).
"We spent a lot of the first season building up what this show is capable of," creator, star, and executive producer Quinta Brunson said of the ABC comedy. "Showing you guys through our 13 episodes what it was that we could do, making you fall in love with these characters. Now you are in love with them, so we get to have some real fun. Some good old-fashioned, I keep it calling it Friends-type, Fresh Prince of Bel Air-type fun. We've done all the building. Now we just get to have these fun bottle episodes that sometimes teach you a lot about the world and sometimes you don't learn about the world at all. You're just having fun with these characters."

All the fan-favorite antics will be back, but Brunson also promised fun cameos and a glimpse into the home lives of these characters we've come to know and love. "The most surprising home situation I would think would be Gregory (Tyler James Williams) or Jacob (Chris Perfetti)," she teased. "Everybody else's will be what you expect."
CREDIT: PAMELA LITTKY/ABC
There will also be some surprise additions to the cast. "A lot of people in the room might see somebody that they like next season in addition to us," Brunson hinted. No, it's not Janelle James' pulling double duty as Ava's twin sister (though she did suggest just that).
"You're going to see a cameo in the first episode," Brunson teased. "You can have that. And it's a really good one. It's one that is the biggest star in the world to me. They are the biggest star we've seen thus far at Abbott Elementary."
Adds producer Justin Halpern: "It's one that we didn't think we'd be able to get. They were like, you can have them for one day. That's the only time they're available. We had to move our schedule."

What about the show's will-they-won't-they couple Janine (Brunson) and Gregory? The entire team was incredibly tight-lipped about where, if anywhere, that connection might go this season. "We are going to see single Janine," said Halpern. "The three of us have talked about [how] wherever we end up we want it to feel completely earned. Wherever we get to, we promise you will feel like that is satisfactory."
Before Sheryl Lee Ralph, who stars as the elegant Barbara, added, "I don't know if you'll get the outcome you're looking for."
Uh, can we give her detention for that?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Abbott Elementary Is Back in Session on September 21
By Justin Curto

School’s out for summer for just a bit longer. Abbott Elementary is returning for season two on September 21, ABC announced Wednesday. (It now airs Wednesday nights, for those of you watching the old-fashioned way, just as Mrs. Barbara Howard would.) The announcement comes with a new promotional teaser for the season featuring all the faces we’ve missed over the past few months: Lisa Ann Walter’s Melissa taking a bite out of a hoagie, Chris Perfetti’s Jacob adorably fumbling a briefcase, Janelle James’s Ava struggling to unlock the school, and creator Quinta Brunson’s Janine suggesting — to immediate “no”s — that they take that opportunity for some team building. Oh, and the full-time return of Tyler James Williams’s Gregory!
Introducing Into It with Sam Sanders, Vulture’s new culture podcast.
LISTEN NOW
The new season got a full order of 22 episodes, meaning it’ll likely stretch through the end of the school year or close to it, beginning with the season premiere, “Development Day,” and with the holiday-themed “Holiday Hookah” coming down the line. Among the other changes? Janitor Mr. Johnson, played by William Stanford Davis, has been bumped up to series regular, jamming to “Motownphilly” by Boyz II Men in the teaser. And Principal Coleman could have some more hardware to add to the school’s trophy case after the Emmys on September 12, where the show is nominated for seven awards for its debut season.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Quinta Brunson just won an Emmy over Jimmy Kimmel's dead body

"The bit didn't bother me that much," noted the Abbott Elementary scribe about a bit that went on a bit too long during her acceptance speech.
By Lester Fabian BrathwaiteSeptember 12, 2022 at 11:48 PM EDT

When Quinta Brunson won her first Emmy, for Outstanding Writing in a Comedy Series for Abbott Elementary's pilot, she accepted the award from Will Arnett and Jimmy Kimmel.

Well, from Will Arnett and the lifeless body of Jimmy Kimmel.

After losing yet again to John Oliver, the late-night host left his body, as Arnett explained, once he had dragged Kimmel onto the stage. Kimmel remained committed to the bit even as Brunson retrieved her hardware and she gingerly stepped over him on her way to the mic.

"Jimmy, wake up, I won!" the writer-actress gamely played along. "Jimmy? Okay, hold my phone."

Quinta Brunson and Jimmy Kimmel at the 2022 Emmys

Kimmel then gave her a thumbs up.

After beating out writers from Barry, Hacks, Only Murders in the Building, Ted Lasso, and What We Do In The Shadows, Brunson, a comedic master in her own right, seemed otherwise unfazed and continued on with her speech.

After thanking her co-showrunners for "believing in a story from four years ago and thinking that it would make a good TV show," Brunson thanked Larry Wilmore "for teaching me to write television as well as he did."

Brunson added her family, her husband, and her "incredible cast and crew for helping me to make this show and make the pilot" to her list of emotional thank-yous.

Backstage in the press room after her big win, Brunson said "the bit didn't bother me that much," acknowledging Kimmel as an early supporter of Abbott Elementary.

"I think at that moment, I was just happy it was Jimmy up there," the freshly-minted Emmy-winner said. "I kind of consider him one of the comedy godfathers. I'm a huge fan of Will Arnett. So I was wrapped up in the moment."

"Tomorrow, maybe I'll be mad at him," she added, joking, "I'm gonna be on his show on Wednesday, so I might punch him in the face. We'll see what happens."

All in all, Abbott had a good night, winning three of its seven nominations, including a win by Sheryl Lee Ralph in the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series category earlier in the night — Ralph's rousing acceptance song and speech were no doubt the highlights of the telecast.

rrebelrrabbi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What does this show have to do with the office? It’s not like it in any way except the occasional direct lookin at the camera shots

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
What does this show have to do with the office? It’s not like it in any way except the occasional direct lookin at the camera shots

It's kinda clear and obvious

That is exactly why the comparison was/is made

The format

The office popularized the documentary style camera work delayed comedic timing no audience no laugh track no music 4th wall break in the 30 minute format.

Modern Family, Arrested Development etc always pay homage to that show.

Especially in this specific case we see the obvious parallels between Michael, Pam, Jim and Creed.