{~}Official 2023/2024 NBA Thread - 2024 Summer League, USA Hoops

Final winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nah, Luka needs to get in better shape. There's white boys out there in much better shape than him.
He saves all his energy on defense (by not playing any defense) and only expends energy on offense.
He does not have the conditioning right now to play hard on both ends of the court.
Maybe lay off the beers and home cooking when he goes back to his country during the offseason.
Well he ain’t getting in better shape……he is what he is lol.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
10 takeaways from tonight in the NBA:

1) Jayson Tatum (31 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists) heard the noise. He finally looked like himself. Even reverted back to his stepback ISO ball late in the fourth. Had more points (20) in the first half than he's had in any game this Finals. The first half was all his and...

2) The second half was all Jaylen Brown (30 points, 8 rebounds, 8 assists, +13). Such an impressive all-around game but I'll mainly remember two things. The monster dunk at the end of the third and then the Luka hunting (more on that later). Jaylen's 8 assists are a postseason career-high.

Jaylen Brown's second half:
24 PTS
5 REB
3 AST
71.1 TS%
39.1 USG%

Big shot after big shot. Seriously though, it's crazy how the Celtics throw everything out the window during crunch time. Very little action and a whole lotta ISO, but hey, they've won 10 straight playoff games so I guess they're allowed to do whatever they want.

"How can I explain Jaylen? The guy just has a growth mindset." - Joe Mazzulla

"I told him I was proud of him, and he said the same thing." - Jayson Tatum on his long embrace with Jaylen Brown after the game

3) K, so back to Luka (27 points, 1-7 3PT, 46.9 TS%). We already know that he's going through it. We now know that he's getting assistance getting through it. It was reported that he received a pain-killing injection to numb the area of his thoracic contusion before Game 2. He received another injection before tonight's game.

Started out the game going 4-for-5 and was targeting Jayson Tatum any chance he could. They were running stuff to get the Tatum switches and Luka was getting past him with ease. Even his defense was looking solid ... for a bit. Then things changed. He finished shooting 7-of-22, started taking unnecessary stepback 3's, and the complaining started. Then the defense slipped. Boston was attacking Luka relentlessly ... until he fouled out. He entered the 4th with two fouls and fouled out with 4:12 remaining in the game. First time fouling out in a playoff game. Tough scene.

"I mean, I don’t know. We couldn’t play physical so, I don’t know. I don’t want to say nothing but six fouls in the NBA Finals ... come on man, better than that." - Luka on the fouls

4) What sucks about Luka's performance is that Kyrie finally showed up to the party. It's been a while but he had himself a game against Boston (35 points). Most points he's scored against them since April 2022. First play of the game, blew by Jrue for an easy bucket and that's when you knew it was coming. Highest usage rate he's had this series (32.7%). He was moving with so much more confidence and intent. I mean, it looked like Kai. His four 3's were also refreshing to see since he came into tonight 0-8 from beyond the arc in the Finals. Only two assists though. Aye, just noticed Luka and Kyrie combined for just eight assists and five turnovers. Yeah, that Celtics defense is crazy.

"We just gotta stay positive. For me personally, I'm just going home, dusting off the tools, and just getting ready for a tough Game 4." - Kyrie Irving

5) Part of the reason the assist count was so low is that the Mavs' supporting cast was awful again.

Luka and Kyrie: 62 points (5-13 3PT)
Supporting cast: 37 points (4-12 3PT)

This team has yet to crack 100 points in this series. I mean, I don't know what else to say. It's hard to win playoff games when you can't reach the century mark. Especially going up against a team scoring half that on threes alone...

6) The Celtics had 46 3-point attempts. Tied for the second-most ever in an NBA Finals game, and most in franchise history. They play the numbers game better than any team in the league and it showed tonight. One of my favorite parts of the game came when they showed a clip of Tatum mic'd up talking to his teammates.

"Don’t settle for the step-back 3. Every time we drive we get a wide-open shot." - Jayson Tatum

One, you wish he'd listen to himself late in games and two, he was 100% right. The drive and kick game was on full display again. It's tough to watch the Mavs work so hard for every shot and then see the kinds of looks Boston generates.

"The guys understand, they understand why we do what we do." - Joe Mazzulla on the Celtics winning through launching 3's

7) "Not difficult at all. I’ll die out there." - Kristaps Porzingis after Game 2 on playing through injury

The good news is that he's not dead, but no, he did not play. It wasn't hard to read through all the bullsh*t they were selling us on Sunday. Was obvious to everyone that something was really wrong with him towards the end of that game. Turns out he suffered a, hold on lemme get this right ... torn medial retinaculum allowing dislocation of the posterior tibialis tendon in his left leg. Don't feel bad, we all had to Google it. There were only 32 documented cases in a 2006 study. Guy can't catch a break.

So yeah, it's a big deal but not nearly as big as it was before this game started. Celtics have now won 10 of the 11 postseason games that he's missed. Woj told us pregame that there was "real doubt" he would return for the Finals. Think they can play it safe and let him heal up. He can rest it on the ice that's keeping the champagne cold.

8) So without Porzingis, Mazzulla changed things up and went with Xavier Tillman (3 points, 2 blocks, 4 rebounds) as the backup center over Luke Kornet (DNP-CD). Played excellent defense all night, which is his calling. Especially the switching. Was one of the more impactful three-point performances you'll see in a Finals game. Those three points came on a corner three by the way. His first 3-point attempt of the playoffs.

Shoutout to Sam Hauser too (9 points, 3-4 3PT). Was a team-high +16 and also played great defense. Mavs were testing him like most teams do and he held his own.

"He played in the Western Conference for three or four years, and so he's played against the Mavs. And so he's had that experience. Memphis has used a similar game plan, so he was used to that." - Joe Mazzulla on his decision to play Tillman

9) Jason Kidd went 11-deep in an NBA Finals game. Needed to make sure I included that. Desperate times call for desperate measures but you usually know those measures beforehand. This felt like throwing sh*t against the wall and seeing what sticks but nothing stuck. Tim Hardaway Jr. was 0-for-5 and still played 19 minutes. The good news is we're one game away from not having to see Maxi Kleber (0 points, -13) shoot again and trust me, he doesn't want to either.

Celtics beat the Mavs 106-99. They've won 10 straight, the longest playoff win streak since the 2017 Warriors. You don't need a reminder but teams are 155-0 after taking a 3-0 lead in NBA playoff history and 14-0 in the Finals.

10) First Bill Walton and now The Logo.

Jerry West passed away today at the age of 86. I get that it's coming for all of us but can we please just chill out for a minute? Let us get over the loss of one icon before dealing with another. You don't need me to tell you what West meant to the NBA. One of the greatest players and executives to ever live. A true legend on and off the court. God, this one's gonna hurt for a while.

"I know there’s a day out there that I’m not going to wake up. I’m just fortunate to have so many people in my life that I can never thank for, most importantly, being loyal friends." - Jerry West in 2022

"Jerry West is forever a basketball icon. He brought Lakers fans their first championship in Los Angeles in 1972 and was integral to another six titles during his time with us. Our thoughts are with the West family and the many NBA fans who honor his legacy. Jerry West will always be a Lakers legend." - The Los Angeles Lakers

Alright, time to peep this Angel Reese career game I missed out on. Much love ❤️

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kyrie plays better defense than Luca. And Kyrie is not a top defender.
I’m not arguing who’s the better defender. I’m saying at his size it’s not many guys he can guard on the Celtics. I ain’t blaming Kyrie or Luka it’s clear we an inferior team you don’t go down 0-3 because of one player. Celtics the better team they earned this shit.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This Is the shit I have a hard time understanding. Sliver want's the Steph Curry style of basket ball where teams jack up 30 to 40 threes per game. for the last three years I've been watching, 5 cats on defense rush the paint under the board, leaving at least 2 offensive sharp shooters on the three point line to take free uncontested shots. I get crashing the boards for a rebound, as well as helping when a player when he gets beat off the dribble, but damn ain't It easier to come back from a 2 point deficit than a three point deficit.
I don’t understand it either. It’s almost in your best interest to let them have the 2 pointers if they want to shit 50 3s a game.

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Patreon Investor
I’m sorry, but in my opinion, if y’all didn’t have Kyrie Irving, I would not have made it as far. Luca always has been a liability on defense.
Kyrie was putting up 30 points right along with Luka in that Twolves series but the media was only talking about Luka, talking about he's better than LeBron at this age and the best Mavs player ever, even over Dirk who has a ring.. lol

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
damn 24-25 people thought Dallas was wining this lol

It's a majority white message board, so not surprising. The mods even believe in them Euros more than us niggas. :yes: That's what being a Black American is all about, fighting wars and winning gold medals for this country, but white Americans still identifying with Europeans and other groups more and always rooting against you. It's what drives US sports. :yes:

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
I guess defense does matter a little bit huh

The narrative on Luka right now is great for basketball as a whole.

I've said before that "MVP" is basically "OPOY" (with some consideration for team success) and the fact that we have a "DPOY" but no "OPOY" speaks to that lack of balance.

So hopefully this really drives home the point that "best offensive" is not automatically "best" or "most valuable."

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
matrix-not-like-this.gif

Beeiii

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's a majority white message board, so not surprising. The mods even believe in them Euros more than us niggas. :yes: That's what being a Black American is all about, fighting wars and winning gold medals for this country, but white Americans still identifying with Europeans and other groups more and always rooting against you. It's what drives US sports. :yes:
and not one single vote for Celtics in 4.....the irony of it all:lol::roflmao::roflmao2::roflmao3::lol2:
#BGOLaccountabilityin2024

MEU0CZU_o.png

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
and not one single vote for Celtics in 4.....the irony of it all:lol::roflmao::roflmao2::roflmao3::lol2:
#BGOLaccountabilityin2024

MEU0CZU_o.png
i was thinking Dallas would get at least one at home... a Gentleman's sweep

Actually i was rooting for Dallas....... because fuck anything Boston

but i know a better team when i see one.