OHHH, SHHHIT... Robert Glasper Drags Lauryn Hill Straight To the Gates of Hell (No Lies Detected)

husband73

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why would he lie? It’s true. She got a diva complex and hasn’t earned it. Fuck Lauryn I’m mentally retarded Hill! Bitch we pay good money for you to get your sorry bony ass up on stage and perform a few old ass songs and you can’t even do that! Rohan fucked your soul and senses out
Betcha believe Wyclef ain’t gonna dispute what Robert said. And if anyone that knows Lauryn it’s Wyclef- remember dude is very musical and produced some hits back in the day

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
lots of interesting/shocking information in here

Robert Glaspers detailed and disparaging account of Lauryn Hills fuckery was real interesting .
And then Son in the thread not knowing what a patty was shocked the fuck outta me...
shit was jarring
Up here in the Six, the whitest of whitest CAC's are familiar with patties and Rotis if they know nothing else
In school all of us kids would eat them for lunch if money was tight....get some Coco bread with it to make it more filling...some of the whitest CAC's would request a "patty on a bun". and pronounce Roti as "Roady"
But goes to show that not all of us experience the same amount of diversity, and sometimes we take that shit for granted.

Glasper is official....glad to see his profile getting larger and his well earned respect being given. I copped the "Black Radio" CD back in '12. I need to cop some of his newer shit and go see him live.

NightMare Paint

Not A Horse
BGOL Investor
I know a dude that got hired to play for her, and he told me the exact same shit about changing up shows she never listened to, and replacing whole bands a day or 2 before the gig. She did that to justify shorting them on the pay. He said he bounced, and then learned the gig got canceled anyway. She's, by far, NOT the only one.

I was playing for Otis Redding, III, and during rehearsals, he'd make a mistake and look in my direction. After the 3rd time, I was like "Nah, pimp. It ain't going down like that!", and I bounced, with the trumpeter running after me asking me to reconsider. I told one of my bass playing friends in The Chi this story, and he said, "Bruh, you dodged a bullet! I know 4 people that played for him, and after the gig, he don't pay. He'll collect the money and leave while the band is waiting for him."
I didn't even know there was an Otis Redding III. :lol:

Llano

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I can believe this. I went to a Nas & Lauryn Hill concert last year. To her credit, her voice sounded great but she started singing different lyrics to some of her classic songs. She did warn us before hand but that shit was just odd & a lot of people in the audience wasn't feeling that.

Jboogiee

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
http://articles.latimes.com/1998/dec/19/entertainment/ca-55439

The Legal Tangle of 'Miseducation'
Pop Beat: Group wants a share of the songwriting credit and profits from Lauryn Hill's hit album.
December 19, 1998|GEOFF BOUCHER | TIMES STAFF WRITER

• Email

The critics who have made Lauryn Hill's solo debut the most acclaimed release of 1998 have consistently praised the album for its vision and honesty in presenting one woman's view on life and love.

But now, on the eve of the Grammy season in which it is a sure contender, "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" is being portrayed in a lawsuit filed by a group of musicians as something far different--a group project and a lesson in the unfairness of the music business.

The musicians, known collectively as New Ark, are suing Hill and her label in U.S. District Court in Newark, N.J., claiming they deserve a share of songwriting or production credit on 13 of the album's 14 songs--and, of course, a sizable chunk of the profits generated by the album, which has sold 2.4 million copies to date.

The 23-year-old Hill, who gained fame as a member of the Grammy-winning Fugees trio, said in a statement that the suit is "without any merit whatsoever." A spokesman for the singer added this week that Hill feels "deeply betrayed" by the New Ark group, who toiled on the Ruffhouse/Columbia Records release for months at a studio in Hill's South Orange, N.J., home.

pixel.gif

The album credits say the album is "produced, written and arranged" by Hill, and she is also listed as executive producer on all the tracks. The New Ark members--Vada Nobles, Rasheem "Kilo" Pugh and twin brothers Johari and Tejumold Newton--are acknowledged several times for "additional production," "additional musical contribution" and "additional lyrical contribution" on some songs.

They claim, however, to be the primary songwriters on two tracks, "Nothing Really Matters" and "Everything Is Everything," and major contributors on six others. Full or partial production credit is also due to the team on five tracks, the suit claims. The musicians also claim to have made sizable, uncredited production contributions to "A Rose Is Still a Rose," a song Hill produced for Aretha Franklin's last album.

The dispute has been discussed by attorneys on both sides for months, but an impasse led to the federal lawsuit filing earlier this month.

Lawsuits are hardly a rarity in the realm of song credits--as one music publishing veteran remarked this week, "Where there's a hit, there's a writ"--but the suit against Hill is especially intriguing because she was viewed primarily as a vocalist before "Miseducation" won raves for her songwriting and production craft.

Sources close to Hill dismiss the lawsuit as an attempt to cash in by some overreaching studio musicians. But Peter C. Harvey, the attorney for the New Ark group, says it is Hill who is exaggerating her artistic heft. He says the hip-hop diva put her name on New Ark's work to establish herself as more than "just the singer" in the Fugees.

"She is not a musician, she is not a producer," Harvey said. "[New Ark] will make another album and everyone will see that they were the ones responsible for this album. I dare say if you put Lauryn Hill in a studio alone, she couldn't do it again. Album No. 2 for her is not going to sound like this."

That view is contradicted by numerous sources who say Hill is blossoming into a major creative force in pop music.

"Lauryn is a very gifted arranger, producer and writer, as well as a vocalist; she's the whole package," said Gordon "The Commissioner" Williams, the engineer at the sound board during most of the "Miseducation" sessions. Williams declined to discuss the lawsuit or New Ark's claims, but he described the album as a powerfully personal effort by Hill. "It's definitely her vision."

In their suit, the New Ark members say it was Pugh's four-year friendship with Hill that led the singer to invite the musicians to join her as she began planning her pivotal first solo effort in June 1997. The suit claims the singer and her would-be collaborators hit it off in their first meeting, making grand plans and sitting in a circle as Hill led them in prayer. Pugh and the others were giddy afterward. They had some credits to their career, but the chance to work with Hill was their "big break."

pixel.gif

The suit also claims Hill made verbal assurances to New Ark that they would be credited and paid for major contributions to the album, but they never pinned down their role in writing--which Harvey concedes was an error.

The suit says the relationship between Hill and the New Ark musicians cooled as the album neared completion and the singer began backing off her earlier promises of credit.

Harvey says Hill's handlers tried to placate Pugh and the others in November 1997 by arranging a publishing deal with Sony/ATV, the same publisher that handled the "Miseducation" songs for Hill. The deal paid the New Ark musicians a $100,000 advance for rights to their future work. Harvey said the size of the deal supports the group's claim that they are far more than mere studio musicians, and, indeed, industry insiders said a contract of that size is unusual for unproven songwriters.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Well Damn. People learning about Beef Patties and Otis Redding the 3rd in this thread. What other surprises await us in Page 4?
Spanish potatoe balls?

something you find at the Dominican or pr spots in nyc

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Shit is SSSOOOOO TRUE!!!

Peeps keep giving her props with "MIS-EDUACTION" like she was the Second Coming of Aretha and shit.
It's needs to stop.
Girl is a One-Trick Pony.
She has no discography.
And no sense of musical struggle to even act the way she does.
And stupid people out here still buy concert tix never know if she's eve going to show up

Stop Giving This Chick Any Credence Already!
She Ain't Worth It!

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
I help my Nigerian coworker move once, dude wanted to pay me I told him a home cooked meal by his wife was good enough

Love some scotch eggs.

yaBoi

X-pert Professional
Platinum Member
Where you from, fam?
memphis.. and nope ain't nobody around here eating beef patties on the regular

I can't believe some of you Brothers never had a box of these and threw them in the oven. These were almost restaurant-quality

usa-1-0-trans-fat-jamaican-style-patties-beef-cocktail-patty.jpg
they never sold those nowhere around here
We've been spoiled and take things for granted

Like 24 hr cornerstores, clubs that close at 4am, pussy in the same building or walking distance from your crib
man you the only NY dude around here talk like you got some sense lol..

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
memphis.. and nope ain't nobody around here eating beef patties on the regular

they never sold those nowhere around here
man you the only NY dude around here talk like you got some sense lol..
Bruh I never heard of one til 2003. These mafuggas act like Jamaicans took over every hood in the US.

The first one I had was in Montego Bay and it tasted like a beef pot pie with curry in it.

LordSinister

One Punch Mayne
Super Moderator
I can't believe some of you Brothers never had a box of these and threw them in the oven. These were almost restaurant-quality

usa-1-0-trans-fat-jamaican-style-patties-beef-cocktail-patty.jpg

What kind of fisher price packaging shit is this?!?! :roflmao::roflmao:

And if I didn't have a real one on the islands, I would think this is some East coast trick like White Castle. I heard all about that shit for years and I had that nasty shit y'all swore by. Fucking pickle bigger than the patty and the meat was like un seasoned pork breakfast patties. Simply disgusting.