OHHH, SHHHIT... Robert Glasper Drags Lauryn Hill Straight To the Gates of Hell (No Lies Detected)

NightMare Paint

Not A Horse
BGOL Investor
The Reddings

The Reddings, a funk, soul disco band from Macon, Georgia, were founded by Otis Redding's sons Dexter Redding and Otis Redding III together with their cousin Mark Lockett. Dexter provided vocals & bass, Otis Redding III played guitar, and Mark provided keyboards. The Reddings recorded for Believe In A Dream Records/CBS & Polydor. Their biggest hit was "Remote Control" in 1980.

The Reddings Discography of Albums

reddings_theawakening.jpg

The Awakening
US Believe in a Dream 36875 (in Europe by Epic), 1980
Reissue CD on EU Vinyl-Masterpiece/PTG, 2010
1) Remote Control 2) Funkin' on the One 3) Come in out the Rain 4) It's Friday Night 5) The Awakening Pt. 1 6) I Want It 7) Doin' It 8) Lady be My Lovesong 9) The Awakening Pt. 2

reddings_class.jpg

Class
US Believe in a Dream 37175 (in Europe by Epic), 1981
1) Class (Is What You Got) 2) If You Feel It 3) Seriously 4) Main Nerve 5) You're the Only One 6) Hurts So Bad 7) Love Is Over 8) Love Dance

reddings_steaminhot.jpg

Steamin' Hot
US Believe in a Dream 37974 (in Europe by Epic), 1982
1) I Know You Got Another (Don't Matter) 2) (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay 3) You Bring Me Joy 4) Follow Me 5) Steamin' Hot 6) For You 7) You Can Be a Star 8) Time Won't Wait

reddings_backtobasics.jpg

Back to Basics
US Believe in a Dream 38690 (in Europe by Epic), 1983
1) Hand Dance 2) On the Outside Looking In 3) Who You Think You're Messing with 4) Back to the Basics (With Our Love) 5) Erotic Groove 6) Moon Rock 7) I'm Ready 8) Make Plans for Me too

reddings_iflookscouldkill.jpg

If Looks Could Kill
US Polydor LP 823324, 1985
1) In My Pants 2) Where Did Our Love Go 3) Didn't Want to Fall in Love 4) Parasite 5) I Don't Understand It 6) Talk's All Over Town 7) If Looks Could Kill 8) Third Party

reddings_reddings.jpg

The Reddings
US Polydor LP/CD 835292, 1988
1) It's a Feeling 2) So In Love with You 3) Come Back to Me 4) Jealous Heart 5) R.O.C.C. 6) Serious 7) Let's Stop Pretending 8) Company 9) This Is My Life 10) Call the Law
CD bonus track:
11) So In Love with You (12" Mix)

FUN FACT: Otis Redding III also wrote "The Smurf" for Tyrone Brunson in 1982
(OLDHEAD ALERT!) :yes:

Otis was getting it in:lol:...he had 4 kids. 3 Sons and a Daughter. In the 80's the Sons formed a group called the Reddings and had a few funky jams.

My mind is blown. Otis Redding out here in the 9th grade with a whole damn family.

dade305

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
https://www.bgol.us/forum/threads/15-years-of-the-miseducation-of-lauryn-hill.747806/

She also endured an arduous legal battle after four musicians sued her for failure to properly credit their songwriting and production on The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill.

The details of that lawsuit, which reportedly settled for $5 million, never fully surfaced. Some believe Hill caved despite her legal representation’s objections in order to put an end to a tumultuous fight.

Meanwhile, her skeptics claimed she should have given those musicians co-songwriting and production credit on 13 of the album’s 14 tracks (the liner notes state that Hill was the sole songwriter on 12 tracks). Few know what truly happened, but it the tussle cast a shadow on her musical legacy.
Quick question. Does she have song writing credits anywhere else?

Naha-Nago

Rising Star
Registered
I had to log on from my cell phone for this one. Someone from BGOL may or may not have successfully sued Lauryn Hill, her touring company and others for not paying an artist for a tour. Let me know of artists that don’t get paid. Actually, let me know of anyone that doesn’t get properly paid. I’m kind of nice in federal and state courts. Y’all know how to reach me on some Black Panther Batman Quaid shit.

Good to know.

*two cents*

peterlongshort

Rising Star
Platinum Member
memphis.. and nope ain't nobody around here eating beef patties on the regular

they never sold those nowhere around here
man you the only NY dude around here talk like you got some sense lol..
Ok, you from Memphis. Ain't no beef patties out there. You get a pass.

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
Ain’t no Jamaican spot selling patties and potatoe wedges in the same spot. You must get your stuff from cacs or the Chinese
nigga stfu. Youre
trying to sound smart but you sound stupid as fuck. Please show me one cac spot that sells beef patties or chinese who sell beef patties?

daking181

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
nigga stfu. Youre
trying to sound smart but you sound stupid as fuck. Please show me one cac spot that sells beef patties or chinese who sell beef patties?
No you stfu. Any white pizza shop in the hood sells beef patties

daking181

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Only in your white neighborhood bruh. I've only seen beef patties being sold in Black establishments
You’ve obviously never been to Jamaica Ave, rockaway blvd, south Jamaica queens.
My wife is Jamaican and I’ve been all up and down the Island. The only potato your getting is roasted sweet potato off the grill.

This dude said potato wedges from a Jamaican spot:smh:

daking181

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
nigga stfu. Youre
Here’s how stupid you sound. This is from 1995
https://www.nytimes.com/1995/12/17/...-gimme-a-slice-and-a-jamaican-beef-patty.html

NEW YORKERS & CO.;Gimme a Slice and a Jamaican Beef Patty

By MICHAEL COOPER

Continue reading the main storyShare This Page

• VIEW PAGE IN TIMESMACHINE

, Page 013004The New York Times Archives
    WHEN Carl Suares walked out of a driving rainstorm into Nick & Joe's Pizza & Heros in downtown Brooklyn last week, his eyes passed right over the New York-style slices, the Sicilian pies, the stromboli, the calzones and the meatball heroes.

"I'll have," he said, "a Jamaican patty with cheese."

Jamaican patties? In a pizza joint?

The patties, spicy meat turnovers with flaky orange crusts so popular in Kingston, are now a regular feature in many pizzerias in the city. "We call them 'beef patty parmigiana,' " said Joe Carlone, the Joe in Nick & Joe's, which sells about 100 beef patties made by Tower Isle's, an East New York company, each week. Most customers like them smothered in mozzarella cheese ($2 each). "Some people like them with pepperoni" ($2.25 each), Mr. Carlone said.

The idea of selling its Jamaican beef patties in pizzerias was one of the innovations that turned Tower Isle's from a small family bakery in Crown Heights into one of the largest patty-makers in the world. The company now bakes 100,000 patties a day in its factory on Atlantic Avenue.

"It's not just Italians who eat pizza, Chinese people who eat egg rolls or Greeks who eat gyros," said Steve Levi, Tower Isle's vice president of sales and marketing. "We knew a man, a jobber, who sold tomatoes and cheese to pizza places around the city. He would take our patties to pizzerias and say: 'This stuff is good, man. You want to buy it? You can open it up and put mozzarella inside. Take a box, and if it doesn't sell, I'll take it back.' Invariably, they'd call and ask for another box. It caught on."

The patties are also sold in bodegas.

The company was founded almost by serendipity just before Easter in 1968. Mr. Levi's parents, Beryl and Earl Levi -- a clothing designer and an engineer by trade who had immigrated to New York from Battersea, Jamaica -- could not find a bakery that sold Easter buns, the long, fruitcake-like pastries served with cheese throughout the island on Good Friday.

Continue reading the main story

"There was one place in Harlem, the only place that made it, but they took orders weeks in advance and you had to stand in line," Mrs. Levi recalled. "So we started making Easter buns for a few friends. And they needed some patties too, so we decided to make those. That was the embryo stage."

The Levis opened a small bake shop on Franklin Avenue in Crown Heights and sold patties, coco bread and traditional Jamaican bread with hard dough. They called it Tower Isle's after a popular hotel in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. But the bakery soon ran afoul of United States Department of Agriculture inspectors, who ordered its meat-producing operations moved into a bigger factory built to Federal specifications.

"It was a blessing in disguise," said Mrs. Levi, 63, who is now Tower Isle's president. She and her husband, who died this year, took out a loan from the Small Business Administration and moved to a 5,000-square-foot U.S.D.A.-approved plant on Atlantic Avenue in 1975. "I kept thinking, how can we sell that many patties?" she said. "Neither my parents or their parents or their parents had ever borrowed over a million dollars to start a business."

On Franklin Avenue, they had turned out patties one at a time, using a hand-cranked machine. But Earl Levi turned his engineering skills to design a fully automated machine that could churn out hundreds of patties an hour at the Atlantic Avenue plant.

They had to find new customers and new ways to push those patties. The customers came in the waves of Caribbean immigrants who arrived in New York in the 1970's and 80's. The Census Bureau estimates that there were 67,655 foreign-born blacks in New York City in 1960. By 1980 there were more than 300,000 New Yorkers from the non-Hispanic Caribbean. And 78,622 more arrived in Brooklyn alone from 1983 to 1989, according to the City Planning Department.

Still, Tower Isle's wanted to appeal to a broader market. "We had to Americanize the product," said Steve Levi, 40. "We cut down on the excessive spices and placed more beef into the product so it could compete with hamburgers. A typical Jamaican patty has an ounce of beef. We use two and a half ounces."

Some patty purists sniff at the Americanized version, but Mr. Suares, a 19-year-old Brooklyn College student, is not among them. "In Jamaican stores they put in more pepper," he said after placing his order at Nick & Joe's. "I like the crust, the meat inside and the seasonings."

In 1985, Tower Isle's expanded again, to its current 41,000-square-foot factory farther east on Atlantic Avenue, in what used to be a Chevrolet dealership. It has more than 60 employees, many from Jamaica, who begin at the minimum wage of $4.25 an hour and receive raises with seniority.

Now the patties are sold in supermarket freezer cases in 24 states and in schools and prisons. A recent setback was the decision by the Board of Education to switch its contract -- for 150,000 patties a week, at one point -- to a less expensive company.

Five years ago, the Levis introduced vegetable patties to appeal to the cholesterol-conscious, and last year they added chicken patties. Beef patties, Mr. Levi said, still outsell the others seven to one.

Mr. Levi sees his company's future in the micro and the macro. Recently he started making individually wrapped patties and selling them to 24-hour convenience stores, where customers microwave and eat them on the run. At the macro end, Tower Isle's is selling boxes of nine patties to warehouse stores like the Price Club and Sam's.

It's enough to make Grover Nichols marvel. "We ate these every day in Jamaica," Mr. Nichols, Tower Isle's plant manager for the last 18 years, said the other day as he watched forklifts load cases of patties onto a truck. "I never thought I would see them made in this volume."

EVOLUTION From Kingston To Court Street

Major moments in the production and marketing of Tower Isle's Jamaican beef patties, and the number of patties sold annually:

1968 Storefront bakery opens on Franklin Avenue. 500,000

1975 Earl Levi invents patty-making machine. 6 million

1979 Patties sold in pizzerias and supermarket freezer cases. 10 million

1985 Tower Isle's moves to 41,000-square-foot plant on Atlantic Avenue. 15 million

1995 Patties marketed to warehouse chains and convenience stores. 25 million

Drayonis

Thedogyears.com
BGOL Investor
Lies.

You ain't finding them joints in the midsouth, Midwest, northwest, etc.

I'm in Texas and they sell them joints damn near in every neighborhood. I'm talking gas stations (Not traditional Caribbean restaurants). I was near San Antonio in Poteet Texas (No black people) and the gas station across from my hotel sold them....Ya'll probably seeing them and don't know what you're looking at.

alexw

Platinum Member
You’ve obviously never been to Jamaica Ave, rockaway blvd, south Jamaica queens.
My wife is Jamaican and I’ve been all up and down the Island. The only potato your getting is roasted sweet potato off the grill.

This dude said potato wedges from a Jamaican spot:smh:
Hey dumb ass nigga everybody doesn't live in New York City

alexw

Platinum Member
Well don’t talk about what you don’t know. You come off as a hoe
No you stupid bitch stop acting like New York City is the entire fucking world. Travel for once in your sorry-ass life. Oh you do know that Jamaicans arent the only people that make beef patties right you fucking idiot

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
I'm in Texas and they sell them joints damn near in every neighborhood. I'm talking gas stations (Not traditional Caribbean restaurants). I was near San Antonio in Poteet Texas (No black people) and the gas station across from my hotel sold them....Ya'll probably seeing them and don't know what you're looking at.
Bruh, you aren't talking about Tennessee, Arkansas or Mississippi. There's no west Indian culture here to justify patties being sold.

You.know I know what a beef patty looks like Mayne.

daking181

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
No you stupid bitch stop acting like New York City is the entire fucking world. Travel for once in your sorry-ass life. Oh you do know that Jamaicans arent the only people that make beef patties right you fucking idiot
Lol ain’t nobody said anything about New York is this or that. You said one thing, I corrected your dumb ass and you resorted to name calling. The typical when I’m wrong I name call formula.
As for traveling unfortunately I only get to travel 2-3 times a year. Matter fact I just came back from Belize last week, went to Thailand in April. Already scoping out next years trip to the Canary Isalnds (haven’t decided which island).
So I think I’m doing okay