'Sanford and Son' Thread

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Fred_Lamont_Sanford_and_Son.png

Forty years ago today, comedian Redd Foxx took an obscure British sitcom character, worked his special magic on it, and turned it into the sharp-tongued, big-hearted junkyard owner we've come to know and love as Fred Sanford.

Sanford and Son stars Redd Foxx as Fred G. Sanford, a 65-year-old widower and junk dealer living at 9114 S. Central Ave. in the Watts neighborhood of South Central Los Angeles, California alongside Demond Wilson as his 30-year-old son, Lamont Sanford. In his youth, Fred moved to South Central Los Angeles from his hometown of St. Louis.

On the show's premiere in 1972, newspaper ads touted Foxx as NBC's answer to Archie Bunker, the bigoted white protagonist of All in the Family. (Both shows were adapted by Norman Lear from BBC shows; Sanford And Son was adapted from Steptoe And Son and All in the Family was the American version of Till Death Us Do Part.)

Genre Sitcom
Created by Norman Lear
Bud Yorkin
Starring Redd Foxx
Demond Wilson
Theme music composer Quincy Jones
Opening theme "The Streetbeater"
Country of origin United States
Language(s) English
No. of seasons 6
No. of episodes 136 (List of episodes)
Production
Executive producer(s) Norman Lear
Bud Yorkin
Producer(s) Bernie Orenstein
Aaron Ruben
Saul Turteltaub
Camera setup Multi-camera
Running time 22–24 minutes
Production company(s) Tandem Productions
(billed as "A Bud Yorkin/Norman Lear Tandem Production",
copyrighted as "NorBud Productions")
Distributor Sony Pictures Television
Broadcast
Original channel NBC
Picture format 1.33:1 (fullscreen)
Audio format Monaural
Original run January 14, 1972 (1972-01-14) – March 25, 1977 (1977-03-25)
Chronology
Followed by The Sanford Arms
Sanford
Related shows Steptoe and Son
Grady

Last edited:

rtm862

Star
Registered
Been watching some of the old Episodes on Crackle on my Roku. I see they have All in the Family up there too. Might check it out when ever I finish watching all the Sanford and Son episodes.

LADYTEE

female pimp
BGOL Investor
Greatest of all time, redd foxx my favorite comedian, I watch the reruns every night on antenna tv on comcast.

melonpecan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Never liked All in the Family as a kid...but I watched Sanfod and Son religiously on TBS almost like every day. Nothing on here seemed too forced and I felt like these were all that cousin, uncle, aunt that could have been in my family...

Great show with great characters/actors indeed :yes:

black again

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I remember when it first came on. It was on NBC and The Brady Bunch was on ABC. I wanted to see both, but there were no VCRs...

I STILL can't believe this wasn't turned into a movie...every other popular show from the 70's has...

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
220px-LaWanda_Page_1977.jpg

LaWanda Page (October 19, 1920 – September 14, 2002), born Alberta Peal, was an American actress and comedian best known for her role as Aunt Esther in the popular 1970s television sitcom Sanford and Son. She later reprised this role in the television shows Sanford Arms and Sanford.
On Sanford and Son, Aunt Esther was the sister of Fred Sanford's late wife Elizabeth. Page had been performing her comedy routine in nightclubs in St. Louis and then Los Angeles for several years, but had planned to leave show business to move back to St. Louis to take care of her ailing mother. When Redd Foxx was offered a sitcom in Los Angeles, he brought his childhood friend Page to the attention to one of the show's producers, who was already familiar with Page and her act. Foxx subsequently asked Page to read for the role of Aunt Esther; she auditioned and was offered the role. However, prior to taping, producers became concerned when Page, whose experience was limited primarily to nightclub stages, seemed to have difficulty working in a sitcom format. Eventually, one of Sanford and Son's producers told Foxx that Page would need to be fired and that another actor would need to be cast before the show could begin taping. Foxx responding by insisting that Page keep the part, even threatening to walk away from the show if Page were fired. The producers relented, and Page's Aunt Esther went on to become one of the most popular TV sitcom characters of the 1970s.[3]

Page's Aunt Esther was a combination of devout churchgoer and tough-as-nails realist, unafraid to state whatever was on her mind. While her relationship with Foxx's character Fred Sanford was usually confrontational, she betrayed a tender side through her love of her nephew Lamont. Common issues between brother- and sister-in-law were his lack of business success and his lukewarm religious faith. Sometimes, primarily because of their shared love for Lamont and the late Elizabeth, the two adversaries managed to find common ground. Although "Sanford and Son" was clearly Foxx's vehicle, Page's Aunt Esther could hold her own against the show's star. (Ironically, the church-going Esther was a great contrast to the raunchy, expletive-filled material of Page's live act and records.)

WhitmanMayo.jpg

Whitman Mayo (November 15, 1930 – May 22, 2001) was an American actor best known for his role as Grady Wilson on the 1970s televisionsitcomSanford and Son.
Norman Lear offered Mayo a role as Grady Wilson on Sanford and Son. The character's name was based on Grady Demond Wilson, the actor who played Lamont Sanford. During a period where Redd Foxx did not appear on the show due to a contract dispute, Grady moved into the Sanford house and effectively starred in the show for six episodes.

Mayo would later star in Grady, an unsuccessful spin-off in which his character moved in with his daughter and her husband in Beverly Hills. After its cancellation in 1976, Mayo's Grady character returned to Sanford and Son.

Mayo reprised the role in the unsuccessful 1977 NBC-TV spinoff series Sanford Arms opposite actor Theodore Wilson, as well as for two episodes of Sanford, another NBC-TV Sanford and Son spinoff, this time opposite Redd Foxx and actor Dennis Burkley, in 1981.

Last edited:

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
The Sanford Arms didnt last long..that was what u would say a"jump the shark" moment lol

The Sanford Arms is a 1977 NBC sitcom that was an attempted continuation of the sitcom Sanford and Son.

After six seasons, Redd Foxx left Sanford and Son to star in a variety show for ABC. The producers planned to continue the series with Demond Wilson as Lamont, but Wilson left the project in a dispute over his expected salary as the star of the series. The producers decided to continue the project with a new character. Norman Lear stepped down from his position as executive producer but stayed on as a consultant.

Premise
The new lead character was Phil Wheeler (Theodore Wilson), a widower and old Army buddy of Fred Sanford's. It was explained that Fred and Lamont had moved to Arizona and they sold their property to Phil. Phil now lived in the Sanfords' old house with his two teenage children, Angie and Nat. The primary setting of the series, however, was the rooming house next door which Fred named "The Sanford Arms". Fred and Lamont bought the house in the penultimate season of the original series. The new series focused on Phil's attempts to turn the rooming house into a successful hotel.

Most of the recurring characters from the original series also starred in this series. Grady (Whitman Mayo) was now married to his girlfriend Dolly (who appeared in an episode of the original series). Bubba (Don Bexley) now worked at the Sanford Arms as a bellboy and a maintenance man. Aunt Esther (LaWanda Page) was left in charge helping Phil and collecting the mortgage payments. Rounding out the cast of characters was Phil's girlfriend, Jeannie.

The attempt to continue a popular series without its two main stars turned out to be a failure. The ratings were dismal and the show was cancelled after four episodes. When Redd Foxx returned to TV as Fred Sanford in the 1980-1981 spinoff Sanford, the events of The Sanford Arms were completely ignored.

Reruns
The Sanford Arms was not included in the syndication package with Sanford and Son. Eight episodes had been produced, but the final four episodes did not air before the series' abrupt cancellation. In 1991, BET aired reruns of the series. It has not been rerun since.

simonmarcel

Rising Star
OG Investor
A few years go I think I was watching tv land, and they had a marathon of just "Sanford." Lamont wasn't on the show. Fred was dating a rich woman who's butler didn't like him, and the co-star was a fat white dude. I can't remember if he was the neighbor or living with Fred. I saw it and was like "wtf is this?"

The Pope

His Holiness Pope Francis
Registered
A few years go I think I was watching tv land, and they had a marathon of just "Sanford." Lamont wasn't on the show. Fred was dating a rich woman who's butler didn't like him, and the co-star was a fat white dude. I can't remember if he was the neighbor or living with Fred. I saw it and was like "wtf is this?"

Yeah the fat dude lived with him....BET at one point had Sanford marathons every other weekend.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

the white guy was a friend of lamont's..lamont sent him to california to help fred run the business

debovette

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Still remember the famous quotables...

"Gorilla Cookies"

"A big white Omana Freezer"

and........................."Big Dummy"

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

ps... glad I downloaded all the seasons before the file sharing sites went down

DJB10

Rising Star
Registered
i can't find it for the life of me but 1 of my all time favorite lines that Fred said after some chick grabbed him was "you better open up your hand & let that shirt run out of it"! :lol: