'Sanford and Son' Thread

Osca Lee

REALNA'MUTHAFUCKA
Registered
I watch these shows and have to stop because they take me back to my childhood and all those great moments when the whole family sat together and watched this show...from my grand parents to all my uncle's and aunts, cousins and people who would just come by and and it if was time for it to come come they would join the family and watch it.

Damn...this show really did more than just make people laugh

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Ah Chew
Ah Chew (Pat Morita) is a Japanese-American friend of Lamont whom Fred belittles every chance he gets. Fred insults Ah Chew on numerous occasions using clichéd Oriental jokes. Fred actually befriends Ah Chew in a later episode because he wants to use him as a cook when he opens "Sanford and Rising Son", a Japanese restaurant in the Sanford house. Despite this arrangement, Fred still hurls verbal abuse at Ah Chew. In the fifth-season episode "Sergeant Gork", Morita portrays Colonel Hiakowa, in a flashback where Fred tells Roger, Lamont's fiancée's son, of his supposed heroism in World War II.

big enos burrnet

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
ah'nigg-woke up the other day like cousin emma,, i promised this chic i was going to make her a big breakfast then i got to grabbing for my
lower back talking about damm i cant cook shit my back is killing me...i chouldnt wait for the bitch to leave....but i ate good tho after she left...

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
Leroy Daniels (born Wilbert LeRoy Daniel November 28, 1928 in Oklahoma - died December 11, 1993) Ernest "Skillet" Mayhand (born March 1, 1916 in Ohio- died May 12, 2007). Leroy & Skillet are a rambunctious pair of Fred's friends who like to play poker, billiards or joke around. They appear in the second and third seasons.

The zoot suit was created by Ernest "Skillet" Mayhand during his shows as a part of the comedy act "Pots, Pans & Skillet" an act that ran on the "Chitlin' Circuit".[citation needed] The suits were first associated in African-American communities such as Harlem,[7] Chicago, and Detroit in the 1930s,[7] but were made popular nationwide by jazz musicians in the 1940s. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word "zoot" probably comes from a reduplication of suit.

kes1111

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The 50th Anniversary of Sanford and Son
e34b495383edb1a09f03042ab7d4861b.jpg

It was 50 years ago today, on January 14 1972, that the sitcom Sanford and Son debuted on NBC. Sanford and Son centred on junk dealer Fred G. Sanford (Redd Foxx) and his son Lamont (Demond Wilson). Fred was a bit lazy, sarcastic, and prone to get rich schemes. As to Lamont, he simply wanted to expand his horizons beyond his father's junkyard. The conflict between the two fuelled the plots of many of the show's episodes throughout the show's run. Sanford and Son proved to be a hit upon its debut and ranked no. 6 for the year in the Nielsens during its first season. Ultimately Sanford and Son remained in the top ten shows each year for five of its six seasons.

Sanford and Son was based on the hit British sitcom Steptoe and Son. Debuting in 1962 on BBC 1, Steptoe and Son was phenomenally successful in the Untied Kingdom. At its height, up to 25 million viewers (around half the population of Britain) tuned into Steptoe and Son. Such success did not go unnoticed in the United States, so that movie producer Joseph E. Levine bought the rights to do an American version of the show. Produced in 1965, the pilot featured Lee Tracy as Albert Steptoe and Aldo Ray as his son Harold. The pilot ailed to sell and never aired in the United States. One further attempt at another American pilot got no further than the planning stages.
Full Article:http://mercurie.blogspot.com/2022/01/the-50th-anniversary-of-sanford-and-son.html?m=1

Gazoo

The Big Brain
BGOL Investor
I can still remember the first time seeing this show. My pops was laughing his ass off in the living room. I was about nine. He told me that he was laughing at Redd Foxx. Who? The rest is history.

dugington

Rising Star
Registered
I remember Grady saying one of the realest lines ever.

It was the episode where Social Security accidentally sent him two SS checks instead of the single monthly payment.
Of course, Lamont was trying to convince him to be honest and give it back.
Grady told that nigga:

"I worked all my life and when they took a dollar from me, it was worth a dollar. Now... years later, when they give it back... a dollar is only worth a quarter."

Lamont had that dumb look on his face as Grady continued...

"Now the way I see it, they owe me this one, this one and TWO MORE." :lol:

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Demond Wilson (Lamont Sanford) didn't like his on-screen homie Nathaniel Taylor (Rollo) in real life!

peep this part of the interview that Nathaniel Taylor did in 2017:

51910400367_f08507f65f_h.jpg

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
The zoot suit was created by Ernest "Skillet" Mayhand during his shows as a part of the comedy act "Pots, Pans & Skillet" an act that ran on the "Chitlin' Circuit".[citation needed] The suits were first associated in African-American communities such as Harlem,[7] Chicago, and Detroit in the 1930s,[7] but were made popular nationwide by jazz musicians in the 1940s. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word "zoot" probably comes from a reduplication of suit.
On the show they was known as bubba and skillet and I think they was in a dolemite movie called.wheatstraw.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
I remember Grady saying one of the realest lines ever.

It was the episode where Social Security accidentally sent him two SS checks instead of the single monthly payment.
Of course, Lamont was trying to convince him to be honest and give it back.
Grady told that nigga:

"I worked all my life and when they took a dollar from me, it was worth a dollar. Now... years later, when they give it back... a dollar is only worth a quarter."

Lamont had that dumb look on his face as Grady continued...

"Now the way I see it, they owe me this one, this one and TWO MORE." :lol:
Real shit.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ujaj8K.jpg

SmoothD

Smooth*****
BGOL Investor
Demond Wilson (Lamont Sanford) didn't like his on-screen homie Nathaniel Taylor (Rollo) in real life!

peep this part of the interview that Nathaniel Taylor did in 2017:

51910400367_f08507f65f_h.jpg

That's crazy that LaMont and Rollo didn't get along in real life.
I would really like to know the back story on this.

dawilleyone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A Lot of people mentioned the traffic court episode. Famous for Fred saying "There's more Niccas in here than a Tarzan movie" in the courtroom scene

Here's a bit of trivia I recently learned about that episode.

Earlier on in the episode Grady (Actor Whitman Mayo) invites a "Lawyer" friend over to give legal advice to Lamont. The Lawyer,played by Antonio Fargas, has the name Sonny Cochran. The ironic bit about that name is that Whitman Mayo is a Kappa whose Line Brother was none other than Johnny Cochran

Em40l9-XEAINxVK

Scene from the episode

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
A Lot of people mentioned the traffic court episode. Famous for Fred saying "There's more Niccas in here than a Tarzan movie" in the courtroom scene

Earlier on in the episode Grady (Actor Whitman Mayo) invites a "Lawyer" friend over to give legal advice to Lamont. The Lawyer,played by Antonio Fargas, has the name Sonny Cochran. The ironic bit about that name is that Whitman Mayo is a Kappa whose Line Brother was none other than Johnny Cochran

Em40l9-XEAINxVK

Scene from the episode

Very interesting.

AKTeKP.jpg

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Em40l9-XEAINxVK

Scene from the episode

Whitman Mayo's son:

Rahn Mayo is a former Democratic member of the Georgia House of Representatives, serving from 2009 until January 2017. In addition to his service in the legislature, Mayo has also worked as a real estate broker, radio co-host, and sales executive.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Rollo and Lamont didn't get along off of camera....crazy I would of never thought that.Rollo was the Eddie Character from leave it to Beaver,the friend who's always got the best ideas til shit goes left.

I knew that Fred had Stymie from the Little Rascals as a recurring character on the show as his friends.

I knew that Fred had to be paid in cash for every ep he did and he wanted all of his cast members to be paid right after they get finished and they say cut.

Lamont said that Fred would show up when he felt like it and leave when he was finished,sometimes they would be waiting for hours and as soon as he hit the set he went right into character.

I know about these show because of my father and family sitting down and watching it even if its a rerun.
My favorite eps
-When Woodrow left Ester and was scared to tell her he wanted a divorce so Fred & Lamont was hyping him up to do it.
-Fred is sick in bed all day and everyone's coming to visit him....and his last visitors are Aunt Ester and her church gang coming up to his room singing.
-When Fred and Lamont goes on a vacation and fred is on the plane and he unwraps some aluminum foil full of fried chicken and Lamont is embarressed.
-Fred is in the court house over a ticket and he says the famous line "There's more N word in here than in a Tarzan movie"
-The Pool Table.....causes Fred to lose all of his friends
-Any eps with May Hopkins....Fred frowning up his face as soon as she walks in the door.

"You better watch it SUCKA!"