Sci Fi Heads (Star Wars / Star Trek): Federation Vs Dominion Vs The Republic Vs Separatists

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/08...-to-do-with-star-trek-after-first-13-episodes

SHATNER: CREATOR GENE RODDENBERRY 'HAD LITTLE TO DO WITH STAR TREK' AFTER FIRST 13 EPISODES
Share.
How involved was the writer-producer in his famous series?
BY SCOTT COLLURA It's well known that Star Trek creator Gene Roddenberry, after a long fight to bring the adventures of Captain Kirk, Spock and the rest to the air, eventually stepped back from the day-to-day running of the original three-season classic series. Many books and articles have been written, interviews given, and theories thrown around regarding how important Roddenberry was to The Original Series beyond the first season, with the general consensus being that he had essentially faded from the picture by the final (weakest) year.

But according to the show's star, William Shatner, Roddenberry wasn't involved much at all after the first half of Season 1. While talking to IGN recently, Shatner said that Roddenberry "had little to do with Star Trek after the first 13 shows."

Gene Roddenberry

In the first half of the first season, Roddenberry worked with associate producers Robert Justman and John D.F. Black. When Black left the show in August, 1966, and facing exhaustion himself from the workload, Roddenberry brought in Gene Coon to replace Black, while also transitioning himself to the role of executive producer. And in fact, Coon is largely credited with bringing many of Star Trek's most famous elements to the series (including the Klingons, the Prime Directive and much of the character humor of the show). Coon would also take over most of the rewriting of scripts that Roddenberry had largely handled previously, though he too would eventually leave the show in the following season. Still, in contrast with Shatner's above statement, Roddenberry has always been portrayed as having remained involved in the show through its second year -- it's just a question of to what degree.

When asked about his relationship with Roddenberry, Shatner told IGN that "Gene was a typical writer in that he lived in his head a lot. It's my view that people write -- professional writers, people who do a lot of writing, sit in their office, their chair, wherever they're writing, and are by themselves and living in their head. And they may do so because they're not adept at dealing with people. So they make fiction. Then, when they become hyphenates -- which they did in those days -- so the writer became a producer, writer-slash-producer. The fit may not have been exact, if I could be -- if I could put it that way. ... And so it was with him. He was a… he was a cool customer. He had his own way of doing things, and needed… no, I'd better not go there."

Star Trek: Never Before Seen Footage Debuts
1:05

Roddenberry often clashed with Star Trek network NBC, with his writers, and with his staff. Which, to some degree, is the sign of a good producer trying to make a good show. How much this affected the show positively or negatively is perhaps lost to the ages (if only we had a Guardian of Forever to travel back in time with and find out for ourselves). Roddenberry would go on to create Star Trek: The Next Generation two decades after the original show, and he produced the first Trek film, Star Trek: The Motion Picture. However, after the production and budget troubles of that project, he was essentially cut out of the process on Wrath of Khan and the sequels that followed and is generally believed to have served in a more honorary capacity as an advisor on the films.

And yet, in the end, this is the guy who created Star Trek. Whatever his connection to it as it morphed over times, there's no denying that we wouldn't have it without him.

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
OG Investor
50+ year old "gossip" that virtually every Star Trek fan has heard before.
Yeah, and so what? Why is this even the topic of a news article in 2018?

original

T_Holmes

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Creators generally build a show, get it running, and then hand it off. Common practice.

I remember seeing an interview with Donald Bellisario when he pitched NCIS. The network liked the idea of a JAG spin-off, but he basically had no plans to run the show at all until they started asking him questions that implied they assumed he was going to. He was just like, "Welp, looks like I need to put a year or two in on this one..."

That's why sometimes you have to give a show a few seasons to find itself. Because everyone from the top down evolves as it keeps going.

Race Harley

Rising Star
Platinum Member

original

It's 2018 and you're complaining about this?!? Just because you may know this you think everyone does too or wouldn't want more details?

I tell you... :smh:

:hmm:

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
What is this shit of Roddenberry legacy day? First, we had the Wesley Crusher thread. Now we are getting this!

It's like the people that want to shit on George Lucas. Ungrateful shits! If it wasn't for these creators pushing the envelope you wouldn't have shit.

I fucking loath leeches in life! Don't create shit! Never create shit! Just sit back and take shots!

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

original

Obvious question and the answer is staring you right in the face!

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
OG Investor
It's 2018 and you're complaining about this?!? Just because you may know this you think everyone does too or wouldn't want more details?

Where exactly is my "complaining"? And where exactly are the "more details"? Virtually every TV program lists that episode's writers and director in each week's show credits. Gene moved to EXECUTIVE PRODUCER way back in 1966. You seem especially butthurt that I would dare to post my personal OPINION. Well, too bad.

Perhaps you thought that I actually still care about who got the credit for what 52 years ago. Sorry to disappoint you once again. If you need to feel better about yourself and have the last word in this thread (and my guess is that you won't be able to help yourself) then knock yourself out because I've completely run out of fucks to give.

Race Harley

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Where exactly is my "complaining"? And where exactly are the "more details"? Virtually every TV program lists that episode's writers and director in each week's show credits. Gene moved to EXECUTIVE PRODUCER way back in 1966. You seem especially butthurt that I would dare to post my personal OPINION. Well, too bad.

Perhaps you thought that I actually still care about who got the credit for what 52 years ago. Sorry to disappoint you once again. If you need to feel better about yourself and have the last word in this thread (and my guess is that you won't be able to help yourself) then knock yourself out because I've completely run out of fucks to give.

Go back a read what you wrote with an open mind. Just stop while you're behind.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Star Trek is a behemoth of a franchise. Running over 50 years, it has had five live-action series, one animated series, several films, comics, novelizations, and an extremely obsessive fandom I’ve counted myself a part of since childhood. I understand how Star Trek can seem labyrinthine, too dense for new fans to find their way in. But it’s very well worth it. This guide is a window into the Star Trek franchise, meant to introduce it those who have scant knowledge of its intricacies. At its best, Star Trek is a potently political, unabashedly philosophical, powerfully diverse, empathetic, and supremely well-crafted series that uses its hard science-fiction trappings to speak to our times. With Star Trek: Discovery bringing the franchise back to television after a 12-year absence, now is the best time to see why Star Trek has endured since The Original Series first aired in 1966.

There are a few major concepts to understand before venturing into the realm of Star Trek:

1. How Star Trek imagines the future of humanity and Earth itself.
To understand the allure of Star Trek, it’s necessary to understand the ways its creator Gene Roddenberry and later writers conceived of humanity’s future. While Earth is, for all intents and purposes, a utopia during the time of the various Star Trek series, it took a long, bloody road to get there. 21st-century Earth was embroiled in many conflicts, including what would become known as World War III (2024–2053), which was sparked by a litany of issues, including anger over genetic manipulation and the Eugenics Wars. Governments fell. Major cities were destroyed. The loss of life hovered around 600 million. Ten years after the end of the war, First Contact was made with the Vulcans (a rigid, highly logical species that count fan-favorite character Spock as a member), thanks to humanity building the first warp drive that allowed for space travel faster than the speed of light (this event is dramatized in the 1996 film Star Trek: First Contact). The discovery of intelligent alien races forced humanity to get its act together. After further chaos and attempts to establish order, eventually the United Earth Government was established in 2150. By the early 22nd century, humanity was able to eliminate most, if not all, of the poverty, disease, hunger, and cruelty that has plagued us since our beginnings. Racism, sexism, and even money was a thing of the past. Humanity’s drive became a philosophy of betterment and exploration.

2. The Federation
Founded in San Francisco in 2161 by four different species, including humanity and the Vulcans. To put it simply, the Federation is a republic composed of various planetary governments who have agreed to live semiautonomously under a central body that guides their primary goals: a grand sense of intellectual curiosity and peaceful exploration.

3. Starfleet
Starfleet is the defense and deep-exploration service maintained by the Federation. They ferry ambassadors, participate in away missions, protect the peace, and establish new relations with various worlds when necessary. In essence, they’re the heart and soul of the Federation. They continue, to quote Captain James T. Kirk, the “dream that became reality and spread throughout the stars.”

Now let’s get to the fun stuff!

The Original Series (1966-1969)
Where to Watch: Hulu, Netflix, CBS All Access

Hulu, Netflix, CBS All Access

why former president Barack Obama considers himself as a Trekkie: “As Obama sees it, approaching the unknown with resourcefulness and discipline and optimism is what made Star Trek so good.” These qualities are more true of TNG than any other series.

Deep Space Nine (1993-1999)
Where to Watch: Hulu, Netflix, CBS All Access

my favorite series from the franchise. It’s also the antithesis of The Next Generation. If TNG represents the glory of utopia and Starfleet’s upper class, DS9 depicts the high price of attaining peace and the fraught nature of taking an assignment no one else wants. Star Trek’s first black lead, Benjamin Sisko (an intense and commanding Avery Brooks), who becomes a captain in season three, is assigned to command DS9 and aid the Bajorans — a people who are finally free of brutal Cardassian control after a 50-year occupation — in joining the Federation. DS9, which takes placein the 24th century, during the same time period as TNG, disregards a few pivotal aspects of other series: There’s no main starship — the setting is actually a space station near a wormhole; while Roddenberry gave his blessing for the series shortly before he died, showrunners Ira Steven Behr and Michael Piller (who was on until 1995) disregarded his mandate that crew members couldn’t have long-standing conflicts. It’s also the first time Star Trek has larger arcs instead of an episodic nature.

Important Cast Members
25-benjamin-sisko.w710.h473.jpg

Avery Brooks as Benjamin Sisko. Photo: CBS
Benjamin Sisko is a grieving widow and single father whose wife was killed in the Battle of Wolf 359, making him openly antagonistic toward Captain Picard (Patrick Stewart, whose appearance in DS9’s pilot is meant to bridge TNG with DS9) of the USS Enterprise during the only time they meet in the premiere. (For novices coming in with no knowledge of Star Trek,I don’t want to spoil the particulars, but Picard had a hand in the events that led to Sisko’s wife’s death.) It’s fascinating to chart the difference between the morally grey, bombastic, yet emotionally raw Sisko and the gentlemanly Picard. Sisko has a down-home, almost-working-class sensibility. He loves cooking (his father is a New Orleans chef) and baseball. He’s a man who wears his emotions on his sleeve and has an extremely close relationship with his crew. There’s a tenderness to Sisko, which is rendered in his relationship with his son, Jake (Cirroc Lofton). Sisko’s closest friend is Jadzia Dax (a wondrous Terry Farrell), a science officer and member of the Trill, which means she is host to a long-living symbiont that has had seven previous lives. She is symbiotically joined with this creature, giving her the memories and experiences of these seven different lives. Next to Jadzia, one of the most important relationships Sisko has is with his first officer, the Bajoran Kira Nerys (Nana Visitor). To put it simply, Kira is a badass. Characters like Jadzia and Kira prove DS9 has the best-written female characters from the franchise.

The chief of security, Odo (René Auberjonois), is a shape-shifter who assumes the figure of a humanoid male and desperately yearns to find out about his origins. Quark (Armin Shimerman), a Ferengi bar owner, at first glance seems like merely a greedy and underhanded figure. But he shows a moral code on occasion and brings the show a lot of its humor (and moral complexity). The ever-dashing Alexander Siddig plays chief medical officer Julian Bashir. A bit tactless and self-obsessed, Julian actually proves to add a great emotional dimension to the series. TNG cast members Miles O’Brien (Colm Meaney) as the chief engineer officer and Worf (Michael Dorn), as strategic operations officer, join the cast as well, getting far more development than they had previously. DS9 makes great use of its supporting cast, with highlights being: Garak (a powerhouse Andrew J. Robinson) a former Cardassian spy who is on the station to avoid prosecution masquerading as a tailor; Dukat (Marc Alaimo), a brutal and seasoned Cardassian military leader whose villainy is terrifying, thanks to his treatment of the Bajorans.

Gateway Episodes
DS9 is a purely serialized show. Its arc and characters grow richer as the seasons continue. But it makes it difficult to suggest stand-alone episodes since they rely on an understanding on the interpersonal dynamics of the characters. The extended pilot episode, “Emissary Part I and Part II,” is definitely the best place to start. I’d also recommend the season-four premiere, “The Way of the Warrior.” It’s a two-part episode that introduces Worf joining the crew as Klingon antagonism accelerates. It may seem a bit too complex for those coming into the series for the first time, but Worf acts as a bridge between TNG and DS9 for those watching the series in order and looking for something to hold on to.

Best Episodes
Season 4, Episode 3, “The Visitor”
“The Visitor” centers on the relationship between Sisko and his son, Jake, in the wake of an accident that seemingly kills the captain. But Jake holds on to hope, dedicating his life to bringing his father back. With moving performances by Brooks and Tony Todd as an adult Jake, “The Visitor” cements DS9 as one of the most impactful portraits of black fatherhood in the history of TV.

Season 5, Episode 3, “Looking for par’Mach in All the Wrong Places”
This episode turns the curious pairing of Quark and Worf into a hilarious and strangely romantic episode about their separate romantic foibles.

Season 5, Episode 6, “Trials and Tribble-ations”
DS9 has a weight to it that can make it seem rather heartbreaking, but the writers weren’t afraid to have fun. The best example of this is undoubtedly “Trials and Tribble-ations,” which has the DS9 crew travel back in time to protect the timeline landing them on the Kirk-era USS Enterprise. It is a joyful ride watching DS9 go colorful and marvel at the legendary crew of TOS.

Season 5, Episode 22 “Children of Time”Thisis one of the episodes I’ve watched so much, I’ve nearly memorized it. The crew is heading home when Jadzia convinces Sisko to examine curious readings on a planet. Unfortunately, the ship crashes and the crew is faced with curious people on the planet — their own descendants. The episodes reaches a heartbreaking crescendo as it develops how far Odo would go for his unrequited love, Kira. (If you find this pairing as great as I do, season four’s “Crossfire” is also stellar.)

Season 6, Episode 13, “Far Beyond Our Stars”
In this episode, Sisko has a vision from the Prophets that splits the episode in two parts — Sisko as captain on Deep Space Nine, and his visions of being a sci-fi writer in 1950s America who is writing a story about a captain on a space station named Benjamin Sisko. The pleasures of this episode are endless: getting to see the actors without their usual alien designs playing wildly different people; its exploration of race; the deftly layered narrative; and most important, the masterful acting by Avery Brooks, who also directs the hell out of the episode. It is by far one of the best episodes in all of Star Trek.

Premise
Enterprise begins the unfortunate trend Star Trek has continued since, of looking backward instead of pushing the series forward in its timeline. It takes place roughly a century before TOS. This is the first crew of deep-space explorers on the Enterprise, headed by Captain Jonathan Archer (Scott Bakula of Quantum Leap fame), whose father designed the engine, as the narrative fleshes out corners of Starfleet’s early years.

Important Cast Members
Enterprise has three primary characters: the roguish and down-to-earth Captain Archer; Vulcan High Command science officer T’Pol (Jolene Blalock) who forms a close bond with Archer; and chief engineer Charles “Trip” Tucker III (Connor Trinneer), who grows more assured as the series continues.

Gateway Episodes
Season 1, Episode 1, “Broken Bow Part I and II”
Thisis a good entry into understanding the modus operandi of Enterprise, although it does reflect how uneven the early seasons proved to be.

Season 1, Episode 7, “The Andorian Incident”By this point, as much as I find Vulcans fascinating, the franchise is a wee bit too obsessed with them. But “The Andorian Incident” shows how brutal and xenophobic they can be.

Best Episodes
Season 3, Episode 10, “Similitude”
Cloning is one of the themes in science fiction that can easily turn frightening and unsettling. “Similitude” questions the ethical problems with cloning as Trip nearly dies and a clone is created for the sole purpose of saving his life. The clone’s life span is only 15 days, causing an uneasiness among the crew that raises a good question: How far would you go to save a friend and colleague integral to your life?

Season 4, Episode 4, “Borderland”
“Borderland” brings back Brent Spiner (who memorably played Data) as Dr. Arik Soong (the grandfather of the man who created Data), and turns its gaze to the Eugenics Wars. The following two episodes provide one of the best arcs in Enterprise. These episodes center around the mad-scientist archetype, leaning into the pulpy nature of Star Trek and providing a worthwhile window into the Eugenics Wars from a different angle.

Season 4, Episodes 18 and 19, “In a Mirror, Darkly Part I and Part II” These episodes hit a sweet spot for me. Exploring the mirror universe allows the writers and actors to have a lot of fun playing with the credits and canon. Enterprise twists humanity’s history in the mirror universe, revealing that we lean into our baser, more selfish instincts than create the utopian world that Star Trek represents in its main universe. So, basically the timeline we’re actually living in.

What to Skip
Enterprise takes a while to find its footing, which unfortunately doesn’t happen until its final season. I’d recommend watching the pilot and skipping to the fourth season, which is undeniably its best.

Legacy
Star Trek: Enterprise is by far the most loathed series by long-term fans. Itdefinitely has a lot of faults, including an odd relationship to canon, sometimes relying too heavily on winking toward TOS instead of being its own thing. But I don’t think it’s as terrible as people have been led to believe. Enterprise’s failures — both narratively and in terms of gaining a foothold in the larger cultural imagination — represent not just its artistic issues, but how science fiction has changed so dramatically in recent decades. The potent philosophical and political interests of Star Trek — a series that finds pleasure in verbal dexterity and intellectual curiosity rather than the obviously beautiful, so-called cinematic trappings of modern TV’s Golden Age — means it doesn’t exactly fit into our times.

But so much can be learned from the entire Star Trek franchise. In my mind, Star Trek represents the beauty of science fiction when it asks us to better ourselves, to question our prejudices, to dream. It represents sci-fi at its most humane and powerful.

HAR125LEM

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Just yesterday, I just got into a FB discussion about how most Black folks practically ignored "DS9" during its initial airing.
Because Sisko had a Space Station instead of a StarShip.
Couldn't see the FACT that we had a positive image of a Single Black Father raising a son in a very untrustworthy void.
And I recall some Blacks complaining that they couldn't even relate because it didn't have the "Urban" stlye of a lot of Black Programming during that period.
And there were Black shows coming out like water in those days.
I'll never forget listening to "NIGHT TALK" on WWRL one late night. And Brooks practically getting slammed by some Black Callers.
Brooks had to argue with them about that role.

Avery Brooks was very underappreciated by most Black Folks, most White ST fans, studio heads, network, and to an extent, even some of the producers.
And people still can't understand why he rarely bothers talking about "DS9", goes to ST events, etc.

It's only now that 'DS9" has been receiving the accolades it so deserved 25 years ago.
Show was a canvas. In which every action had a major consequence further down the line.
It was dark in places no other ST show went.
And even comedic when it needed to be.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Deep Space 9 The Visitor episode.....something’s....in my eye man:(

That is another idea I have for a podcast interview series

We need to celebrate these black pioneer characters concepts and shows so they are not forgotten.

Benjamin Sisko was a VERY important character

As was MANTIS
Uhura
Worf
Blade
Hawk
Mr. T
Dwyane McDuffie & Milestone
The REAL creator of the Matrix
Whoppi amd LaForge on next generation
And many more

these Black men and women were stand outs and trailblazers.

I would love to have a show to recognize their contributions and sacrifices.

veritech

Black Votes Matter!
Platinum Member
Just yesterday, I just got into a FB discussion about how most Black folks practically ignored "DS9" during its initial airing.
Because Sisko had a Space Station instead of a StarShip.
Couldn't see the FACT that we had a positive image of a Single Black Father raising a son in a very untrustworthy void.
And I recall some Blacks complaining that they couldn't even relate because it didn't have the "Urban" stlye of a lot of Black Programming during that period.
And there were Black shows coming out like water in those days.
I'll never forget listening to "NIGHT TALK" on WWRL one late night. And Brooks practically getting slammed by some Black Callers.
Brooks had to argue with them about that role.

Avery Brooks was very underappreciated by most Black Folks, most White ST fans, studio heads, network, and to an extent, even some of the producers.
And people still can't understand why he rarely bothers talking about "DS9", goes to ST events, etc.

It's only now that 'DS9" has been receiving the accolades it so deserved 25 years ago.
Show was a canvas. In which every action had a major consequence further down the line.
It was dark in places no other ST show went.
And even comedic when it needed to be.

I am literally watching the entire run of DS9 for the first time right now. It is a tough watch for me. These first two seasons are super slow.

People keep telling me to hold on and I am. I will finish the entire run. I want my Trekkie knowledge filled completely. I still need to watch Enterprise as well. But that show seemed so hokey.

I am a life long Trekkie. I was watching Star Trek TOS in diapers. My parents were very into Sci Fi.

But DS9 is a different flavor. I felt the same about Voyager. It eventually picked up.

But Discovery is off the chain from ep 1. I wait on the next episode like a crack head looking for his next hit.