So when’s the housing bubble bursting?

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
Yup my taxes went up too. Had to pay a lil extra in escrow.

My homeboy taxes in Raleigh went up a lot too.

We was just talking about this the other day.
Yeah I think some people when buying don’t factor those things in. Your mortgage isn’t exactly fixed which is why a low rate is important. People going to be stretching their money to live in a house at 7% then their value goes up and they paying an extra $100 etc a month and it adds up. Shits foul, not to mention we had to replace the fence around the entire back yard and it costs almost 10 grand. All the maintenance . Also pipes are next. Oakland houses are old.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I think some people when buying don’t factor those things in. Your mortgage isn’t exactly fixed which is why a low rate is important. People going to be stretching their money to live in a house at 7% then their value goes up and they paying an extra $100 etc a month and it adds up. Shits foul, not to mention we had to replace the fence around the entire back yard and it costs almost 10 grand. All the maintenance . Also pipes are next. Oakland houses are old.

Something I learned in the past 2 years is that you can get mortgage with an escrow. IS that normal? I didn't know so many people don't have an escrow with their mortgage

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Something I learned in the past 2 years is that you can get mortgage with an escrow. IS that normal? I didn't know so many people don't have an escrow with their mortgage

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
I have it with Chase . There’s an escrow fund added when you pay your mortgage that estimates what your annual taxes will be. If you over pay you get money back. It makes shit mad easy since it’s all handled with Chase . Homeowners insurance is also paid out of it . I like it and don’t understand why so many hate it

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have it with Chase . There’s an escrow fund added when you pay your mortgage that estimates what your annual taxes will be. If you over pay you get money back. It makes shit mad easy since it’s all handled with Chase .

I know, but there are alot of people that don't have escrow and pay their taxes at the end of the year. When I first heard this I was like WTF?? Why would you even choose that option. I don't even think I was given the option whenever I got my mortgage...

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
I know, but there are alot of people that don't have escrow and pay their taxes at the end of the year. When I first heard this I was like WTF?? Why would you even choose that option. I don't even think I was given the option whenever I got my mortgage...
Yeah I wouldn’t want to do that. Chase pays it for me . I don’t have to see any of that shit. Only when the county sends me my tax bill to show what’s owed . By the time I get that it’s already been paid. Home insurance too. Shits awesome, I was automatically enrolled in it. I guess I can opt out but why would i

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor
I have escrow too but if you want to pay down your house faster, is best to separate the two.
How? All that does is hold money aside for taxes and insurance in a fund , like a savings. That doesn’t stop you from adding extra to your principal if you want . It saves you the trouble of having to set aside money and pay yourself

Politic Negro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Interesting....How so? What would be different than just adding extra money to the principal each month

How? All that does is hold money aside for taxes and insurance in a fund , like a savings. That doesn’t stop you from adding extra to your principal if you want . It saves you the trouble of having to set aside money and pay yourself
Banks still control when they apply your payment. Your payment first goes to your escrow until the estimated taxes and insurance costs are covered. Daily interest is still accruing.

When the "refund" occurs, I always tell them to just apply it back to pay it down but it stills at the discretion of the banks.

Check anyone of your previous years and see how they applied your payments.

If I was more disciplined I would have done it too. I guess I'll find out soon enough. My house loan is close to being paid off.

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Twice a yr
They might get work bonuses or whatever and want to wait

doggface

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Banks still control when they apply your payment. Your payment first goes to your escrow until the estimated taxes and insurance costs are covered. Daily interest is still accruing.

When the "refund" occurs, I always tell them to just apply it back to pay it down but it stills at the discretion of the banks.

Check anyone of your previous years and see how they applied your payments.

If I was more disciplined I would have done it too. I guess I'll find out soon enough. My house loan is close to being paid off.
I suppose all banks/servicers are different, but I can control all that from my account settings.

The daily interest comment is a little confusing, as far as I know a mortgage's interest is computed up front. Any additional principle payment doesn't change the interest split of the current payment, but you end up paying less interest overall by shortening the life of the loan.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Shit is getting ridiculous.

I was talking to a friend of mine in his mid-50s who lives in an older building in a desirable part of the city (very central). He said he pays a modest amount and the rent is relative stable. He said he was outside talking to a young neighbor in the next-door building last year who is 30 years his junior. The young guy mentioned his rent which was 2.25x what he was paying.

All my friend could think was - "Damn ... how much of his take home income goes toward housing? Must have a good job fresh outta college."

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

SEI_208827904-8c3c.jpg

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I suppose all banks/servicers are different, but I can control all that from my account settings.

The daily interest comment is a little confusing, as far as I know a mortgage's interest is computed up front. Any additional principle payment doesn't change the interest split of the current payment, but you end up paying less interest overall by shortening the life of the loan.
You can do a recast and change the whole amortization of your loan payments. Principle payment has to be 5k or more.

doggface

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You can do a recast and change the whole amortization of your loan payments. Principle payment has to be 5k or more.
I wasn't familiar with that, but it looks like a recast will lower the monthly payment while keeping the same length, vs keeping the same payment and shortening the loan.

From I've just read about it even if you make a lump sum payment you have to request a recast, but that would ultimately end up being a wash on the money saved on interest, so I'm still confused about the daily interest comment.

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I wasn't familiar with that, but it looks like a recast will lower the monthly payment while keeping the same length, vs keeping the same payment and shortening the loan.

From I've just read about it even if you make a lump sum payment you have to request a recast, but that would ultimately end up being a wash on the money saved on interest, so I'm still confused about the daily interest comment.
It starts the loan over which is why the payments drop “reamortize” yes you have to request it, they aren’t going to deny it, they want your money. It is not a wash, you save on the interest and you can keep making the same payment if you want or save the difference to make another recast payment down the
line. They will send you a whole break down of your new monthly payments,interest included and unlike refinancing, there is NO closing costs or costs period
Look up recast calculator and put the numbers in

Last edited:

Dr. Truth

GOD to all Women
BGOL Investor

Yeah I’m not sure what he meant by daily interest. The interest rate doesn’t change as it’s fixed and my bank , Chase, doesn’t penalize you for paying back the loan faster or paying more to the principal. If you want a recast you just pay a one time $200 fee or something .