So when’s the housing bubble bursting?

doggface

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It starts the loan over which is why the payments drop “reamortize” yes you have to request it, they aren’t going to deny it, they want your money. It is not a wash, you save on the interest and you can keep making the same payment if you want or save the difference to make another recast payment down the
line. They will send you a whole break down of your new monthly payments,interest included and unlike refinancing, there is NO closing costs or costs period
Look up recast calculator and put the numbers in

You aren't wrong, I can see the additional flexibility with a recast, so I am glad I learned about it.

It's a wash if you pay the new lower monthly payment, the total balance, interest on that balance, and money saved on interest will be the same.

However, if you could make the lump sum payment and afford to pay extra on the principle the same amount the recast would lower your payment by, then you would save just as much in interest, but it would be paid off faster.

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You aren't wrong, I can see the additional flexibility with a recast, so I am glad I learned about it.

It's a wash if you pay the new lower monthly payment, the total balance, interest on that balance, and money saved on interest will be the same.

However, if you could make the lump sum payment and afford to pay extra on the principle the same amount the recast would lower your payment by, then you would save just as much in interest, but it would be paid off faster.
Still don't get what you mean by its a wash with the interest. The monthly interest will be lower regardless of if you pay more than the new payment or not

doggface

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Still don't get what you mean by its a wash with the interest. The monthly interest will be lower regardless of if you pay more than the new payment or not

Here is some quotes regarding principal only payments from mortgage sites.

A principal payment on a loan reduces the amount of interest owed and, in turn, reduces the total amount paid over the life of the loan. Therefore, principal payments play a significant role in the amount an individual must pay over the lifetime of a loan.

• Save on interest: Borrowers can save money on interest by paying more than they owe every month.
  • Shorten your loan term: Paying down your balance shortens your loan term and pays off your mortgage early.
  • Supports your financial goals: Paying off your mortgage earlier allows you to use that money for other financial goals.

If I have 20 years left with a 100K balance, then I owe 100K and the interest on 100K. If I make a 10K lump sum payment, I now owe 90K and the interest on 90K.

With a recast I will still owe interest on 90K, but it gets spread out and I would have a lower monthly payment for the next 20 years.
Without a recast I will still owe interest on 90K, but the payment stays the same I would just end up paying the loan off sooner.

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Here is some quotes regarding principal only payments from mortgage sites.

If I have 20 years left with a 100K balance, then I owe 100K and the interest on 100K. If I make a 10K lump sum payment, I now owe 90K and the interest on 90K.

With a recast I will still owe interest on 90K, but it gets spread out and I would have a lower monthly payment for the next 20 years.
Without a recast I will still owe interest on 90K, but the payment stays the same I would just end up paying the loan off sooner.

Last edited:

doggface

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Right,but you don't have to carry the loan out. The mortgagee
Now has a lower payment which means extra funds, don't work that to your benefit then thats on you. Besides that though if you were to do a larger principle payment recast the numbers really change, also have to factor how much time is left on the loan currently. Diff factors make for diff results i guess

Ok, I wasn’t disagreeing with you and I appreciate the info.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
I’m not buying 75% of cacs own homes.

In the second quarter of 2022, the homeownership rate for white households was 75 percent compared to 45 percent for Black households, 48 percent for Hispanic households, and 57 percent for non-Hispanic households of any other race.

fredgraph.png