Some of yall still don't pay for music?

Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member
i got wayyyyy too much music downloaded to be paying for all these streaming services. no can do. got two flash drives for my car....one r & b and hip hop..... folders organized to the t. i do use youtube music...the free version to back up all my favorite albums and songs. songs i hear and like i tag them then go to my youtube downloader. that's all i need.
I'm still listening to music I downloaded from Napster. So I stay sending my folks links to sites to covert YouTube to MP3 or MP4.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
The music industry execs, back in the 2000's did a study about music consumer spending and found that the average music consumer paid $40 a year for music. So they devised a plan around the mp3 market at the time (napster, limewire) to charge $9.99 monthly for the consumer to access any music they wanted, resulting in the consumer paying $120 per year rather than $40. Once they reached a certain number of subscribers worldwide (500 million subscribers), it would not only equal the amount of revenue generated at the height of the CD era, it would also surpass it.

In that same era at the same time, the picture was painted that people were buying less cd's because of online piracy and record labels were "losing money" so they had to start doing 360 deals with artists to recoup this loss in sales from the decline of cd's.

You see what just happened?

:cool:

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I honestly don't get it in 2023. I'm not taking time to download and organize mp3 files at this point. 10 years ago sure but not now. It's relatively cheap considering what you get for a streaming service.

Most of my MP3 stuff is just for the car. Have a few current flashdrives (32 and 64GB) ... stuff that I didn't get around to years back that was just saved in folders on the PC or laptop.

Goingmark40

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I honestly don't get it in 2023. I'm not taking time to download and organize mp3 files at this point. 10 years ago sure but not now. It's relatively cheap considering what you get for a streaming service.
there's some services i'll pay for. cell phone, youtube tv, internet.... music ain't one of them. we use the free versions of toutube music and iheart radio in the house. in my car or while i'm travelling ....flash drives. never have to worry about searching for a radio station or connecting to a internet source.

Notorious P.I.M.P.

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Man these assholes just raised the price. They all raised the price but Youtube raised it the highest at $22.99 for the family plan. I'm gonna keep it because my family uses it and $23 is not a lot of money for what you get.
Hopefully they will share the wealth with the artists.

FLoss

Surviving Kamala Emhoff
BGOL Investor
This and the cost makes it a no brainer. And any music that's not available (which is rare) I just "find it" upload it to my library and it becomes available to stream on all my devices or I can download it to any device if I want. Plus all the music that I downloaded and organized during the piracy days is now uploaded, matched and available at the highest quality available.

Darkness's

" Jackie Reinhart is a lady.."
Registered
I miss cds and ripping music from them and putting files on my cheap as 30 song toys r us nextar mp3. I been on Spotify though and f*ci paying for premium what's a 30 second add break gonna hurt?.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Why pay when you can get things for free with just a little knowledge or effort?

DJ Jazzy Jeff, the Blend Compadres, and The Roots YouTube channels are enough music for me.

I watch any movie or TV show at home free as well.

I don't care if it's a dollar a year, why pay when I know how to get it free?

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Apple, YouTube music, Amazon, Spotify, Tidal

At or around
$9.99 for one person
$14.99 for up to six people.

Man that shit is a steal to get any song you want. Further more with YouTube music you get YouTube ad free. That shit is a steal to me.
Shit so cheap it's not worth the hassle of trying to get free music anymore.

Nah I still

SHARE music..

No struggle at all

Bruh

Lexx Diamond

Staff member
I've got folders of stuff saved that I forgot I even had.

Zod bless Napster, Kazaa, Bearshare, and the internet as a staff, record label, and a crew. I thank them all collectively for all they've done and do.

I used all those programs and Napster was the GOAT. In late 1999 & early 2000 I searched high and low for a song by Masters of the Ceremony, named SEXY. Back then I was on dial up and had a separate phone line just for dial up internet. Then finally the song showed up on Napster one morning in early 2000. Out of respect I sent a message to the person sharing the file. Asking if they would mind me downloading it from them. They said yes and I happily download the song. After getting the song and playing it I was so happy I sent another message thanking the fellow user. Also, out of curiosity, I asked him where in the world he was located. Only to find out he was in Argentina. I was shocked and amazed. When I told him I was in NYC he was shocked and amazed. At that point I realized just how popular and widespread the P2P program Napster really was at that time. As well as the fact Napster could be used to speak with folks simultaneously all over the globe. Much respect to the creator of Napster for parlaying the free P2P program into a money making platform for buying music legitimately.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I used all those programs and Napster was the GOAT. In late 1999 & early 2000 I searched high and low for a song by Masters of the Ceremony, named SEXY. Back then I was on dial up and had a separate phone line just for dial up internet. Then finally the song showed up on Napster one morning in early 2000. Out of respect I sent a message to the person sharing the file. Asking if they would mind me downloading it from them. They said yes and I happily download the song. After getting the song and playing it I was so happy I sent another message thanking the fellow user. Also, out of curiosity, I asked him where in the world he was located. Only to find out he was in Argentina. I was shocked and amazed. When I told him I was in NYC he was shocked and amazed. At that point I realized just how popular and widespread the P2P program Napster really was at that time. As well as the fact Napster could be used to speak with folks simultaneously all over the globe. Much respect to the creator of Napster for parlaying the free P2P program into a money making platform for buying music legitimately.

That’s cool re: Argentina to NYC! Totally agree re: P2P programs. They seemingly caught on so well. Thank God for programs like AIM, ICQ, and Yahoo / MSN Messenger as chat programs too. I was using them all the time 25 years ago keeping in contact with friends and website visitors internationally. Really adopted it quickly as international texting, and of course doing webcam shows with the ladies. Thankfully did not get catfished, lol. Cause gdamn it was a freak fest at times!

Lexx Diamond

Staff member
That’s cool re: Argentina to NYC! Totally agree re: P2P programs. They seemingly caught on so well. Thank God for programs like AIM, ICQ, and Yahoo / MSN Messenger as chat programs too. I was using them all the time 25 years ago keeping in contact with friends and website visitors internationally. Really adopted it quickly as international texting, and of course doing webcam shows with the ladies. Thankfully did not get catfished, lol. Cause gdamn it was a freak fest at times!

That ICQ, was the best of them messenger programs IMHO. And those Yahoo chat groups were hella fun. I used to be in some of your groups in the late 90s before I ran into you here on BGOL in 2000. Having faster alternative forms of communication was amazing to me. Considering not too long before I was still writing letters. I'll never forget signing up for Net2Phone and getting an Altec Lansing headset in the mail for free. I used it to call my Uncle in Florida to test it out and was amazed. Albeit, I was on dial up so the call was bit choppy. It was the first time I tried a voice over IP service and I was so glad to know I could call family across the country anytime I want at no cost. Back then the phone companies had a strong hold on communications. It was long distance to call someone in Mount Vernon, NY from Bronx, NY. Despite living five minutes walking distance from Mount Vernon.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
That ICQ, was the best of them messenger programs IMHO. And those Yahoo chat groups were hella fun. I used to be in some of your groups in the late 90s before I ran into you here on BGOL in 2000. Having faster alternative forms of communication was amazing to me. Considering not too long before I was still writing letters. I'll never forget signing up for Net2Phone and getting an Altec Lansing headset in the mail for free. I used it to call my Uncle in Florida to test it out and was amazed. Albeit, I was on dial up so the call was bit choppy. It was the first time I tried a voice over IP service and I was so glad to know I could call family across the country anytime I want at no cost. Back then the phone companies had a strong hold on communications. It was long distance to call someone in Mount Vernon, NY from Bronx, NY. Despite living five minutes walking distance from Mount Vernon.

Gotta love ICQ back then.

Nice callback reference to the groups!

Net2Phone sounds familiar.

Our first dial-up at home in 1997 was Sprint Canada. Found BGOL / Online-Video in the fall of that year.

Crazy re: the long distance parameters. I remember older family racking up heavy phone bills with their landlines. Now alot of people have unlimited international calling and texting.

Crazy how time flies and changes.

Wild.

Lexx Diamond

Staff member
Gotta love ICQ back then.

Nice callback reference to the groups!

Net2Phone sounds familiar.

Our first dial-up at home in 1997 was Sprint Canada. Found BGOL / Online-Video in the fall of that year.

Crazy re: the long distance parameters. I remember older family racking up heavy phone bills with their landlines. Now alot of people have unlimited international calling and texting.

Crazy how time flies and changes.

Wild.

The cell phone and internet and voice over IP threw the brakes on the landline phone companies and their big pimping. I remember getting my first legit cellphone in 1997. I could make international calls way cheaper than I could with a landline. Then I got with Nextel and by some time around 2001 we were able to chirp nationally. That really changed the game since cell phone calls to other states and towns by that time weren't considered long distance. Ma Bell had no choice but to read the writing on the walls and knock it off with all that long distance billing. To see all that happen in less than a decade was impressive.

Lexx Diamond

Staff member
SiriusXM is enough.Youtube music(free) if I want to hear a specific song.

I never tried SiriusXM. I have a Samsung S7 Edge with a 128mb SD card. I use as an MP3 player named WinAmp and YouTube Pro from https://www.samapkstore.com/ . The YouTube pro has no commercials so I can select something like 90's Dance Hall and let it play for hours. Or which ever of my YouTube playlists. I still save songs I like so I am not beholden to data or WiFi. Remember WinAmp? I'll never forget the first time I realized it had streaming music of all genres from all over the world and streaming videos from all over the world. Now that's a program whose greater functions I deeply miss.

d57f5624c35b703db84c5545d7b0a7ad.jpg

NightMare Paint

Not A Horse
BGOL Investor
I never tried SiriusXM. I have a Samsung S7 Edge with a 128mb SD card. I use as an MP3 player named WinAmp and YouTube Pro from https://www.samapkstore.com/ . The YouTube pro has no commercials so I can select something like 90's Dance Hall and let it play for hours. Or which ever of my YouTube playlists. I still save songs I like so I am not beholden to data or WiFi. Remember WinAmp? I'll never forget the first time I realized it had streaming music of all genres from all over the world and streaming videos from all over the world. Now that's a program whose greater functions I deeply miss.

SiriusXM has a ton of app-only channels that expand far beyond what's available on in-car radios. The issue with Sirius is that you have to game them and threaten to walk on them periodically to get a decent rate. Otherwise they will charge an arm and both legs for the "good" tiers.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
SiriusXM has a ton of app-only channels that expand far beyond what's available on in-car radios. The issue with Sirius is that you have to game them and threaten to walk on them periodically to get a decent rate. Otherwise they will charge an arm and both legs for the "good" tiers.

Bruh, before the pandemic I was getting the bare bones package (it included hiphop/r&b, comedy, sports and pop channels) for $36/ six months paid monthly was $3.76/month after tax......

Then during the pandemic it went up every so often until it was $9.40 ish

And after threatening to leave it's now back down to $6 and some change each month...

But yeah man initially they wanted $35/month plus tax......... for what?! The same 9 funky channels I listen to, nah B

Lexx Diamond

Staff member

Brah the fee I pay for what I obtain through these Internets is the knowledge of how to get what I want without any financial transactions. Oh and I got that Pandora unlocked as well. Almost forgot about that one since I rarely use it. As I tend to want to listen to specific songs or mixes.

TRUFICTION

SINCE 1998
BGOL Investor
Man !.... I used to get great deals every time they would start talking crazy Id just say...
"It aint that serious" I'm not renewing and they would always make it worth renewing.
I quit messing with them once that aggravating ass Joe Madison died.
He was one of the only reasons I had it in the first place
May he rest in peace.