Squid Game (2021) Netflix Asian Drama Series (looks incredible) Drops 9/17

dasailr03

A Goddamn Sailor!
BGOL Investor
Read a article that possibly explained why the ending was so lackluster. Spoke of how the English translation of the film was so poor that alot of character depth was lost and dialogue suffered greatly as a result. Im guessing that revelation at the end with the old man was poorly interpreted and we didnt get the conversation the writer intended there.
thats' to be expected. No all languages and nuances can be directly translated over. I got what I needed from the series. the visuals also told the story and was able to get, it was some fucked up shit about this series... the ending did its job for me, because it was never about the old man, but the depravity of the human spirit from both the participants and betters part.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn that shit was good it was weird it was.....it was a fucking lot and damn it I loved it.....

Mfkr Simply Red is gonna be HELL next season, haha

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So.....somebody plays too much....

it's a Squid games inspired animation doing popular tikytoky moves

**Warning there are animated figures twerking**

Don't ban me, you mfkrs have been warned....I've seen this retweeted a few times and mfkrs find it funny.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Read a article that possibly explained why the ending was so lackluster. Spoke of how the English translation of the film was so poor that alot of character depth was lost and dialogue suffered greatly as a result. Im guessing that revelation at the end with the old man was poorly interpreted and we didnt get the conversation the writer intended there.

I had someone who is Korean confirm the translations were off and the audience lost a WHOLE LOT OF CLUES and nuances

Ryokurin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I knew something was up when a character said something that just didn’t sound like something a Korean would say at that moment. It was damn near American slang but I forgot what it was.

It’s said that they butchered the translation so bad. :smh:

There's two different opinions on how translations should be. The most popular, which is what Netflix did is that you minimize the cultural references and try to adapt them over to the targeted audience. Optional (which is also Netflix's choice) is to also attempt to sync the translation to the actor's mouths.

The less popular opinion is that they should be exact and it's on the viewer to do the research into what they don't understand, or if it's impossible because it's critical to the plot it's meaning is simplified or sited somewhere to explain what's going on. Truthfully there's a little of that too, they completely ignored the phrase "Southern Man, Northern Woman" other than translating the sign of the building Kang Sae-byeok was in at the time.

20 years ago it was a huge and decisive topic among the fansub community. I'm just finding it quite amusing how it's currently mainstream.

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
thats' to be expected. No all languages and nuances can be directly translated over. I got what I needed from the series. the visuals also told the story and was able to get, it was some fucked up shit about this series... the ending did its job for me, because it was never about the old man, but the depravity of the human spirit from both the participants and betters part.
Nah.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
There's two different opinions on how translations should be. The most popular, which is what Netflix did is that you minimize the cultural references and try to adapt them over to the targeted audience. Optional (which is also Netflix's choice) is to also attempt to sync the translation to the actor's mouths.

The less popular opinion is that they should be exact and it's on the viewer to do the research into what they don't understand, or if it's impossible because it's critical to the plot it's meaning is simplified or sited somewhere to explain what's going on. Truthfully there's a little of that too, they completely ignored the phrase "Southern Man, Northern Woman" other than translating the sign of the building Kang Sae-byeok was in at the time.

20 years ago it was a huge and decisive topic among the fansub community. I'm just finding it quite amusing how it's currently mainstream.

I heard a good breakdown of this on fatman beyond

They had to rush the dub

They translated from the dub instead of the original Korean

And syncing is a huge challenge

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The one big mess up in the translation is how the girl spoke to her little brother in a completely different dialect

So the audience realizes she had been masking her voice to everyone the entire time.

So she had this secret upon secret upon secret.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The one big mess up in the translation is how the girl spoke to her little brother in a completely different dialect

So the audience realizes she had been masking her voice to everyone the entire time.

So she had this secret upon secret upon secret.

I read that too and that’s a big deal but…

We’re Americans, we wouldn’t have been able to pick it up or tell the difference because all them niggas sound the same to us!

200w.gif

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I read that too and that’s a big deal but…

We’re Americans, we wouldn’t have been able to pick it up or tell the difference because all them niggas sound the same to us!

Crazy how AMERICAN audiences apparently reacted to the part in the first episode where everyone was sent home

a very uniquely AMERICAN reaction was this...

well don't COMPLAIN now

My pity and sympathy is GONE

you went BACK voluntarily.

Last edited:

tekwehuself

Immigrant Expat
International Member

Don't ban me, you mfkrs have been warned....I've seen this retweeted a few times and mfkrs find it funny.

Wild homo

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

That was wild and reckless homo

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
@ansatsusha_gouki

All of the hints dropped towards Il-nam’s true identity throughout the show could be its own recap, but the coolest is in episode one, when the Red Light, Green Light doll’s sensors don’t fully scan him.

• It turns out each player’s death was foreshadowed in episode 2: Sae-byeok held a knife to the broker’s neck; she died of a neck wound. Deok-su jumped off a bridge; he fell to his death. Ali got his wages stolen by his boss; he got his marbles stolen by Sang-woo. Sang-woo tried to kill himself; he ended up killing himself.

• Even Jun-ho and Mi-nyeo got foreshadowing moments. Jun-ho pushed the body off the boat in episode three, then he fell into the water after being shot. Mi-nyeo said in episode five, after tug of war, “Once I laid back, I really felt much more powerful.”

giphy.gif

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

It was crazy..

this show touches SO MANY NERVES

and I mean across ALL things!

I did not even CATCH that until someone who was from the middle east dropped that on me

Cause I could see CULTURALLY it wouldn't be SEEN like that

but Americans?

We are so into our (PRETEND to be into) freedom of choice...

An AMERICAN show would really have to ADJUST that part about how its so much WORSE out "there" as opposed to in the game.

Because I think an American version we would REALLY have to stress more how come they came back.

this is a GREAT discussion because so much of your take away is from from cultural background

side bar: that is why I am SO ANGRY on how bad APPARENTLY he translations are

(word is in a VERY RARE feat Netflix may spend the money to go BACK in and fix some dialogue.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It's a really bug game in Korea. The goal is to flip the other player's card. The secret is to slam it flat, so all the energy rebounds off the playing surface and flips the card.

sidebar...

this is NOT universally loved though.

My friend watched the FIRST episode and he got LIVID because he SWEARS folks were still moving agfter the dool head said freeze

That man was rewinding like a maniac to prove his point

I think he stopped watching and never went back.